UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Fanart & Fanfiction

Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

Jumpluff Artchat General: Pluff Like There's No Tomorrow

A sort of Time Out for the Fanart & Fanfiction forum to discuss various projects and throw around ideas and such.

Or just descend into arguments over shipping thirteen year old alien children! Or conversations over which type of alcohol is better for warding off moderately evil ghosts! Doesn't really matter! Sort of!

edit: don't post stupid stuff kuno will come to my house and castrate me with a rusty carving knife

forget I said time out

[i can't believe all of the things they say about me]

Last edited by Jerichi; 04-13-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Copygoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
XanderKetsu
Rainbow Badge

Send a message via AIM to XanderKetsu Send a message via Skype™ to XanderKetsu
First post yay!

But in all seriousness, been thinking of doing RPs here, as we are the best of the best on Sppf(Or not too lazy to check out this forum), and are probably not stupid when it comes to RPs. Thoughts?

DAMMIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char View Post
Or...do you?
XanderKetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Copy: Hey can I make an Art TO?
Kuno: Sure but don't refer to it as a TO.

>A sort of Time Out for the Fanart & Fanfiction forum

All my rage. TO exists because that forum is meant for it (and doesn't give post counts). If you post stupid shit in this thread I'll hurt you. BBB's thread is a good example of a general "TO" sort of thread in the anime section.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Calm your tits, Kuno. As long as they keep it on topic, it should be fine.

So.

Art!
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I've been looking at a lot of artists I like from works I've seen, mostly through Magic The Gathering cards, D&D books, some artwork from novels, and comic book artists.

Steve Argyle's website caught my eye. Especially with this lesson.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Huh? I am pretty calm. Me angry has a lot of swearing. I'm just letting people know what the deal is, is all.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

I guess I'll kick off my own pluffing by posing a pair of questions for the fellow artists here: Why do you draw and do you have a particular goal or dream that you want to accomplish? I suppose those questions come out of a sort of curiosity since I've been in a state of wondering just why the heck I'm doing it as of late. =3=
Old 12-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #8
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

>Why do you draw?

Because I read Homestuck and thought to myself "damn I wanna be able to do that".

>Do you have a particular goal or dream to accomplish?

Have a successful and popular adventure on the MSPA forums that I actually finish.

My far off dream is writing a webcomic, and my really REALLY far off dream is making a cartoon show.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanatori View Post
Why do you draw and do you have a particular goal or dream that you want to accomplish?
I want to be able to draw my own fanart rather than being reliant upon other fan artists to deliver the goods for me. I want to be able to take the ideas I have in my mind and breathe life to them myself rather than either (1) hoping that someone else has had similar ideas to my own and that I'll happen upon their finished work or else (2) hoping that someone will draw what I ask them to draw for me and do it as well or better than I myself imagined it in my own head.

My short-term goal is to be able to draw eyes decently well. (Expression, reflectivity, detail, all of it.) My next short-term goal is to learn how to draw faces (beyond the eyes) at least passably. My next short-term goal is to learn how to draw hair well. (Physics, sheen, all of it.) My goals increase progressively from there and have a focus mostly on human anatomy since it's human subjects I'm most interested in drawing fanart of.

Long-term goals include drawing up my own doujinshi and (le gasp) making fanart that someone tells me "That was so amazing I printed off the digital copy you uploaded to me and framed it in a 2' x 3' picture frame in my house" just like I once told a fan artist.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:11 AM   #10
Loki

-Why do you draw?

Because I've always found it fun.

-Do you have a particular goal or dream that you want to accomplish?

While I'm sure it would be awesome if I said yes, I really don't right now. I draw because I enjoy it. If it takes me someplace in the future, that's great. If not, I'll still do it for fun.

EDIT IN:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
My short-term goal is to be able to draw eyes decently well. (Expression, reflectivity, detail, all of it.) My next short-term goal is to learn how to draw faces (beyond the eyes) at least passably. My next short-term goal is to learn how to draw hair well. (Physics, sheen, all of it.) My goals increase progressively from there and have a focus mostly on human anatomy since it's human subjects I'm most interested in drawing fanart of.
This short term goal can go anywhere from decently simple to ridiculously difficult depending on your art style. Anime/Cartoon style is going to be easier while realistic will be considerably more difficult.

Getting down facial structure and proportions will largely be an issue of experience. Facial details can be an important factor since the human face is the largest contributor to body language, thus when something is wrong, it's easy to see something's wrong. Understanding structure is the only way to really get past this.

I don't think hair will be a huge detail you will have to go crazy about. Typically artists will not draw each strand of hair or go into incredible detail (unless you're Square Enix making that FF7 movie). Understanding of luminosity will probably be the only thing you would need to learn, but that is true for so much.

I think skin detail is a considerably bigger detail you should be looking for something that needs more attention. With skin detail alone, most humans can judge things such as emotional state, lifestyle, and even ambient temperatures.

Last edited by Loki; 12-13-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:31 AM   #11
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Send a message via Skype™ to JustAnotherUser
Although I don't post much in my thread here, I've got a fair few doodles in a book at my house. They're nothing special, though, and I don't doodle as mich as some people here (Read: Almost everyone).

I've got a really cartoony style, and although my proportions can be off sometimes I'm okay with that. I just don't let it worry me too much. That said, I am willing to make sure something looks good if I need to.

Right then explanation as to why I'm posting here done, now onto the bandwagon! *Leap*

>Why do you draw?
Well, I've been drawing for a while, and to be honest it's just a fun way to kill time.

>Do you have a particular goal or dream that you want to accomplish?
To learn to sprite stuff; my dream job would be in the video game industry somewhere, and the more things you can do, the better chance you have, right? As for regular drawing, probably to get better art software & a tablet and learn to proportion things better.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #12
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

I guess I'll answer my own question now. tungsten

>Why do you draw?

Because there's not a feeling in the world quite like working hard on a soon-to-be-finished piece. I love doing it. But when I asked the question last night, I asked it from the perspective of one who's freaking out a bit; I see so much amazing art and graphic design work in various places that covers so much stylistic ground that it's difficult not to think, "What the hell could I ever contribute to this? What's the point of it all?"

>do you have a particular goal or dream that you want to accomplish?

There's a ridiculous amount of stuff I'd like to be better at--figure drawing, painting (both digitally and "traditionally"), working with markers, hand lettering (I get jealous of those who can do nifty lettering or typographic pieces by hand), composition... arg ;;
I guess I'd just like to create a lot of neat stuff and, ideally, be able to do it as a career, as a more general dream goes. I get a lot of fun ideas in my head but I can't execute them.

On an unrelated note, erm can I learn the art of teleportation so I can visit this bookstore like right now? And I do love that hand-painted "Obsidian" sign.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #13
phoopes
Double Dragon

Well, since this is Fanart AND Fanfiction, I guess I'll post here, but the following question can deal with both.

What motivates you to write/draw?

Personally, I like making people satisfyed. And when I have someone review my fanfic, even if it's "c00l f1c br0!!!" that makes me happy. And when people request to be on a PM list for me to stay updated with the fic, I almost squeal with happiness. It shows that I've done a good job as a writer, and that makes me happy.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #14
Char
Banned

Nothing motivates me to write/draw.

Why am I in this thread.

Sad.
Char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:11 PM   #15
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Why do you draw? /write?

Well... I suppose...
My ideas. I get so many things bouncing around in my head, and I want to express them in a tangible medium which others can understand- the last part is key, seeing as I tend to describe personalities and feelings as directions and colours, which not many people understand.
When it comes to writing, I suppose I like to express my ideas. My writing rarely contains precreated characters because I like to set up my own worlds- this is why all my fanfiction is pokemon, as trainers and pokemon can have whatever personalities you wish. However, I am a bit of a romantic, and have written... I want to say my fair share of shipping fics, but I think I've written a grand total of two. And one is kinda borderline.

Goals?

Become able to draw and write. [/Pluff]
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:30 AM   #16
phoopes
Double Dragon

>Do you have a particular goal/dream you want to accomplish?

Yes, that's to be one of the better-known writers on Serebii. But even if I don't get to that point, I'd just like to have as much fun writing as possible.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:46 AM   #17
Maple Pichu
Pokemon Trainer

> Why do you draw/write

....I just do. When I draw, it's my feelings, the paper, and me. No one else matters. Imma gonna draw what I want and no one can stop me. I draw a lot of shipping, too. I guess it's just what I do. I've wanted to be able to draw for as long as I can remember. Now that my drawings don't look like zombie-versions of My Little Critter, I'm not going to stop.

>Goals?

Ummm... I'm like to be a mangaka one day, so I really want to improve my skills as an artist. Helpful criticism from others would help... And then the shameless plugging began.

ANYWAYS, my main goal is to improve my skills and for people to feel and love my writing/drawings.

Ferriswheel|Checkmate|Chess|Dualrival|Conflict|Iss hu|Soulsilver|Heartsoul|Hoenn|Newrival|Rebel|Manga quest|Specialjewel|Chosen|Preciousmetal|Contest| Poke|Penguin|Ikari|Heartfulsoul|Special|Commoner| Haughty|Twinleaf|Fortune|Jet|Airplane(Influenced by the Almighty Kuno)|

If anyone else feels that way, let's be friends! ^_^

Kin is my brother.

I'm making a fanart thread... Please check it out!
Maple Pichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:38 AM   #18
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Why do I draw? I suppose it started as a way for me to focus my ADD into something semi-productive, although I have little actual skill, particularly anything complex or alive. I do tend to have a very nice sense of adding the third dimension to some of my drawings, but mostly just when it comes to things roughly polyhedron-shaped. Adding in the fourth is something I'm not too good at, and I have a hard time doing any recording of motion. I have no sense of real scale with my eyes, probably due to brain wiring. A goal I've had for awhile was a webcomic of sorts, showing a side of gay society that tends to be more in shadows, as well as a multitude of other themes. I actually want to eventually design and open a sort of "alternative gay" site, with the purpose of showing young, impressionable teens just exploring their sexuality that orientation doesn't define identity... (yaddayadda, my apologies for tangent). But, essentially, I want to design and run a site to help and inform LGBTetc teens, their parents, and supporters.

Now, why do I write? Well, I used to hate creative writing in school. Structured writing from an assignment, my mind goes on lockdown, and I just can't manage. But, due to my ADD, I always have a million ideas floating around in my head, and I need to find creative ways to, shall we say, clear some of the voices. And voices they are, as I tend to always have a shred of any character I write through in me, whether they're a blatant avatar of myself or someone from a far different culture. It allows me to research things, learning new tidbits of information along the way, which is a specialty of mine anyway. And sometimes, I can only express things through poetry, although I tend to avoid roughly structured poems like sonnets and the other, more formulaic, styles. I either abuse or innovate slant and vowel rhymes (when I decide to rhyme at all), depending on who you'd ask. I have several goals for writing. I want to write some music, words initially, as well as rough musical accompaniment, and I want to release at least a single album in my life with my music. And, moreover, I want to write novels for the gap right between the late teen genre and what I like to call the "grow up already" genre, marketed towards those in their thirties and up. Not quite young adult, but just above it. I have several ideas, some speculative fiction mixed with historical, some that have significant fantasy element but have characters more relatable than the common stock type characters. I want to be able to make very three-dimensional characters, show the world in grey, and still make it as involving as an Animorphs or Goosebumps in when you're young: you're almost afraid to turn the page, but you can't not.

So, yes, some very long term goals. But it's good to have a dream to strive for.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:04 AM   #19
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

Very basic anatomy guide. More experienced artists please, PLEASE make additional comments.

Spoiler: show

Old 12-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #20
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

The second face is ohgodsocute.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #21
Loki

The stick figure is the most basic form of imaginary human. It has the most basic elements. A head, a neck, 2 arms, a torso, and 2 legs.

Adding more detail, a human is more like the second image. Drawing a line out for shoulders and lines out for hips is an excellent way to keep the figure accurate. The red lines show the figures girth to show how accurate it can be with those shoulder and hip lines.

Understanding this greatly helps when striking a pose such as the last image. Cookie to whoever knows what pose that is.

As Copygoo has stated, your arm is pretty much equal length before and after the elbow. This is also true of the leg from the knee. Your heel should hit your butt just as your hand should touch your shoulder.

Lastly, a mistake I see pretty often is arm length. Not sure why, but people will often have arms end at the hip. But if you put your hands down, you notice they're more accurately half past your thighs. Not sure why people seem to do this, but it has happened to even experienced artists (granted not on their professional works)

Last edited by Loki; 12-24-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #22
Talon87
時の彼方へ

For the cookie: is it Michael Jackson?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:45 PM   #23
Loki

I'll give it to you. But I said name of the pose, not the poser.

EDIT: Durrr. Forgot why I actually came to post here.

Got this book:

FUCK YEAH!

Last edited by Loki; 12-24-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:50 PM   #24
phoopes
Double Dragon

For the cookie: I believe that is called the "Hat Pose." Invented by Michael Jackson. Probably wrong. My second guess is the "This Is It Pose."
Old 12-24-2011, 11:48 PM   #25
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I'm just going to guess the "Smooth Criminal"
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Fanart & Fanfiction