UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 11-10-2023, 03:30 PM   #1
Abbeys Last Braincell
Pokemon Trainer

Rider Jump! Rider Kick! Kamen Rider

Do you like cyborgs? How about motorcycle stunts? Perhaps you are a fan of bugs... Come closer. I have a show for you. The show Kamen Rider began in 1971 when mangaka Shotaro Ishinomori decided special effects had advanced to the point where he could pay actors in real life to act out his action manga. With the acting and stunt talents of Mr. Hiroshi Fujioka, Kamen Rider and Toei Entertainment was born.

Eventually, the Showa Era Kamen Rider seasons stopped as interest in the show declined, and Toei moved on to other projects. But in the year 2000, Kamen Rider Kuuga kicked off the Heisei Era and rekindled interest in the show itself. This is where my meat and potatoes lies: the Heisei Era. I've seen, or at least have friends who have seen most of the Heisei Era.
I hadn't seen any of the Reiwa Era seasons up until...a mutual told me that Yuya Takahashi, head screenwriter of the 2017 season Kamen Rider Ex-Aid, leveled up his writing game and learned to write women well. Which brings us to the point of this whole post: Kamen Rider Geats.

Geats is a scifi show about a gameshow that promises to grant its champion anything they desire. By fighting mooks and defeating bosses, Kamen Riders participate in challenges for a chance to change the world. The protagonist, Geats, is the current undefeated champion of this Battle Royale-style tournament. Airing from 2022-2023, Kamen Rider Geats piggybacked off of the popularity of Squid Game as a vehicle to deliver a coherent, impactful story with subtle nods to previous Kamen Rider seasons. I am only 29 episodes in, out of 48? 49? Yeah, 49 episodes. Nothing has felt like filler so far, and even the background characters have added to the development of the main trio. The fights exist as a requirement of the plot, and the plot moves forward as a result of the fights. There are a few really well-done motorcycle stunts despite late Heisei/early Reiwa seasons gradually phasing out the motorcycle stunts. And the main theme of the show, ambition, is reinforced consistently throughout the plot.

If you like shows where the main character's mom is really hot, Geats is definitely the show for you. I could write an essay about where I am at the moment and how it relates to past seasons of Kamen Rider, but I forgot how to add the spoiler readmore so that will have to wait. I also, unfortunately, can't link to a cool AMV made from the first video because I need to make 10 posts to prove I'm not a bot. So that will have to wait as well. Listen. I don't give a rat's hairy, scrunkly ass about the rest of the Reiwa Era, but if there's one season from it you Must see, it's Geats.
Abbeys Last Braincell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 07:07 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Okay, you have me hooked. I'm a pretty big fan of Ishinomori and that era of sci-fi he wrote out of, before Uncle Go/Tomino/Leji, not that they're bad.

Is this in reach of the TORRENTS?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 12:06 PM   #3
ChampofPokemon
Cascade Badge

Nice, TC.
ChampofPokemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 02:12 AM   #4
Abbeys Last Braincell
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Okay, you have me hooked. I'm a pretty big fan of Ishinomori and that era of sci-fi he wrote out of, before Uncle Go/Tomino/Leji, not that they're bad.

Is this in reach of the TORRENTS?
Yes, Kamen Rider (1971) is easy to obtain via alternative methods. I don't know if the rest of the Showa Era (V3 onwards) has been translated, though. Since Amazon got an edgy reboot back in 2017 I'd assume the original also got translated, just so people could compare them. Toei's Spiderman is also on there, and the popularity of Spiderman's mecha fights inspired Toei to give Sentai squads their own mechas too.
Old 11-14-2023, 02:13 AM   #5
Abbeys Last Braincell
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampofPokemon View Post
Nice, TC.
I have no idea what this means, sorry.
Old 11-14-2023, 06:56 AM   #6
ChampofPokemon
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeys Last Braincell View Post
I have no idea what this means, sorry.
It means nice topic.
Old 11-14-2023, 09:41 AM   #7
Abbeys Last Braincell
Pokemon Trainer

Thank you! It's song lyrics from the original 1971 theme song!
Old 11-14-2023, 10:52 AM   #8
ChampofPokemon
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeys Last Braincell View Post
Thank you! It's song lyrics from the original 1971 theme song!
Wow! No problem.
Old 11-19-2023, 02:25 AM   #9
Abbeys Last Braincell
Pokemon Trainer

I just learned Hayakawa Ken of Kaiketsu Zubat's actor, Hiroshi Miyauchi, also played Kamen Rider V3, so for all organizing purposes Kaiketsu Zubat discussions can fall under the Kamen Rider umbrella.
Old 11-20-2023, 09:03 PM   #10
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Do you like Bug types? How about Japanese food?

Kamen Rider Kabuto is the show for you!

In the world of Kabuto, aliens who take on the form of various bugs land in Shibuya and start making trouble in your neighborhood. The Men in Black is a government organization that tracks down and fights back against the aliens. Let the bug catching contest begin!

We see the story through the perspective of a wide-eyed young recruit in the Men in Black. Full of determination to fight the aliens, he begins to meet and learn about the Kamen Riders. In this universe, bug-shaped robots choose human counterparts to receive their power and become Kamen Riders. All the Kamen Riders are bug-themed: a bee, a dragonfly, and, of course, the titular kabuto beetle. The Kamen Riders have combat powers that let them defeat aliens in situations when the Men in Black's stormtrooper guns do nothing. Examples: the classic Rider Kick, and Matrix-style bullet time.

Of course the Men in Black are highly interested in the Kamen Riders... but do they have their own motives? And with the aliens taking on the skins of humans, can you tell who's a real human and who's an alien in disguise?

Now we come to Japanese food. It's the secondary theme of this series. Outside of battle, most scenes take place in a restaurant, a food stall, or the breakfast table. There are entire story arcs centered on key ingredients. A mackerel arc. A tofu arc. A ramen arc. Numerous cooking competitions. There are glamorous shots of Japanese meals designed to make you hungry. Delicious food is at every turn, to the point where one of the characters remarks on how lucky they are to have been born in Japan because they can eat such food.

What I love the most about Kabuto is the wacky cast of characters. There's Daisuke the makeup artist, whose combat technique is to give you a makeover.

There's Kamishiro, a satire of out-of-touch rich people. He develops a fascination with "commoner" food, reminiscent of the instant coffee meme in Ouran. Actually his antics remind me a lot of Ouran. His unparalleled ego makes him believe that he stands at the top of every mundane thing.

There's Tendo, who, as the name implies, claims that he walks the way of heaven. Tendo always has a "proverb" from his grandmother that he tries to make sound really profound.

And there's more... but why not give Kabuto a watch and let us know your thoughts?

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 10:14 PM   #11
Abbeys Last Braincell
Pokemon Trainer

Kabuto (2006) is certainly a unique experience. I think the only season which compares to it in terms of sheer food fanaticism is Agito (2001). Kurama Neon's actress (from Geats) has watched and endorses Kabuto as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment