UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 04-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
Mercutio
Banned

Sunflora If you could rewrite the animé...

... what would you do?

I've thought of this every now and then. If you could alter some of the fundamentals of the animé, what would you do? Would you have Ash keep his Butterfree or not catch all three starters in Unova? How about writing Misty out of the show at the start of Johto? What about having Ash win the Sinnoh League?

This is basically a free for all, so you can suggest little things like having Pikachu learn Signal Beam instead of Iron Tail or huge things like deleting the entire Battle Frontier season from history or inventing new characters to replace or supplement existing ones. I'm looking for character development of the pokémon, new attacks, some new dynamics?

Any takers?

If we get a load of good ideas, we should start up a community fan fic!
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

New main character every region

I'd like the battles to be more thought out and intelligent. It's not like they haven't had some interesting ideas before, but then they generally forget about them or spam them everywhere and then forget about them- Counter Shield, anyone?
But, like, a little more use of the arena would go a long ways.

Also Ash isn't half bad at contests. He should do them more.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
We should have left Ash and co. behind after the Orange League. Started Jhoto with Ethan and Kris, or whoever. Every region should have been a new protagonist set. May and Brendan would have shared the spotlight in Hoenn, the former after Contests and the latter after Gyms, but more or less equal time to each, and the Magma/Aqua late-game story would have been better than the early story with them, instead of the other way around. Lucas, Barry, and Dawn would have all three traveled together in Sinnoh, and there would have been the odd circumstance of two Badge collectors traveling together all the while. There should have been a one-year-long Black and White storyline in the anime, with Cheren, Bianca, and whatever the fuck the PC is named, which leads up to the Pokémon League championship, which is postponed due to an attack by Team Plasma. Cut to two years later, and Nate and Hugh's adventures. We'd have the pleasure of meeting old friends like Bianca and Cheren, and then, towards the end, finally, the League Tournament is open. Nate and whoever-the-fuck both enter, and both get to the final round. Who wins? Not sure.

Also, Chronicles should have followed the remakes, of sorts. Previous major characters dealing with Team Rocket's plans on the Sevii Islands, Ethan facing Giovanni and making him not rejoin Team Rocket in Jhoto, et cetera. Cassidy and Biff need more love, too.

And James would have come out of the closet in season one.

Also, Primeape should have come back for Ash to use at Indigo.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
Toyo
hail

Ash should use his 30 Tauros as a solution to everything.

"Ash help TR stole my pokemon shock!horror"

"TAUROS SWARM GO"

"Ash, this Gym Leader only uses fighting types! What are you going to do?"

"TAUROS SWARM GO"
Toyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #5
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
Ditch everything. Animate PokeSpec.

kthxbai /thread
Old 04-20-2013, 03:56 AM   #6
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemini Spark
Have the anime be directly based off the manga like everyone else does?

Someone was bound to say it.

Battlecut made by the crazy Daisy! *happy snek sounds*
Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Wild Future
Gemini Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:57 AM   #7
Mercutio
Banned

> Battles more thought out

Yes, but particularly once you get past Johto. I realise that Ash is meant to be 10 the whole way through (hah) but I feel like Hoenn is the point at which he starts getting a little more intelligent in the animé, having matured a little in order to beat Gary. So I would particularly give him a dose of vague sense in Hoenn and would treat his pokémon like Pikachu was treated. Generic Normal type and same type moves and Iron Tail. So I would consider giving, got example, Grovyle the use of Pursuit or another off type move. Perhaps Torkoal could learn Sludge Bomb, for example.

I would say that he should teach Corphish something but actually I would have had him catch Wingull instead of Swellow and replaced Corphish with something of a new type. Perhaps a Spoink > Grumpig, with Wingull evolving as well. I would continue this in to the BF and Sinnoh, granting Sceptile the use of Dragon Pulse (replacing Bullet Seed) and Donphan the use of perhaps Water Gun, for example. Torterra, for the love of God, would be given a Ground typed attack. God damn it Ash, you had something great in Turtwig but you made him terribad.

> Replace the protagonist

Sure, but I'd do it like the manga. So the mains return periodically or end up as rivals in the tournaments and contests. So perhaps the Johto guy starts with Cyndaquil, deals with the Totodile stealing guy, and at the Johto league Ash takes them both down with a Meganium. I really like your idea for the chronicles. Ash and [Hoenn person] take down Team Rocket in the Sevii Islands and Charizard learns Blast Burn, for example, would be awesome.

--

I tend to focus on different pokémon for existing protagonists when I think about this kind of stuff. So, in Kanto, I wouldn't change too much. Primeape comes back for the league, perhaps Pidgeotto is actually used in the league (I once wrote a fan fic of his Rock field battle that went Pidgeotto beats Machoke, Graveller beats Pidgeotto, Bulbasaur and Graveller knock each other out, Squirtle beats Nidorino). But then I would have had Brock evolve his Graveller and catch a Tyrogue, while Misty would have caught something non Water based like that Oddish she wanted. Johto doesn't change too much either but I would definitely have had Brock evolve his own bloody Onix.

... then I would have probably gone ahead and written Brock out of Hoenn lol. As I said, Ash doesn't catch Corphish (Totodile was one peppy water type too many for me) but would have got a Wingull, dealing with Water type and regional bird in one. Max would have befriended a Tailow that would follow him around a bit so that when he decided to set off on his journey with Ralts he would have battled it first and had it as his first capture. And then Max would return in Unova because I did not care for Virgil.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

It turns out that Ash actually died in Mewtwo Strikes back when he got turned into stone, and his constant traveling and battles are his penance for being a shitty trainer.

Hence why he never wins a league, never ages, is very forgetful, and must constantly be cared for by kids and teenagers: his soul is listless and just barely moving on.

We'd have to interpret the Orange Islands as Ash either getting really close to breaking free of purgatory or him dreaming he was close, all for naught.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #9
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

The Unova saga would have been DP 2.0 in terms of the training of Ash's Pokemon (not the length or crap TR). His core team (the starters) would have evolved along with that bird (*begs Daisy for forgiveness for that comment*) and either Sewaddle or Sandile. Now that we know the writers can't handle more than 6 Pokemon at a time, Ash no longer has a need to rotate his team around. The gym battles in Unova were all horrible, with the exception of Clay's; so obviously those would all be rewritten (including Clay's to use something other than Roggenrola).

Don't get me started on that craptastic spectacle of a League.
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:46 AM   #10
Mercutio
Banned

I also thought that Trip was extremely poorly done. Bearing in mind my reasonably unjustified hatred of both Iris and Cilan (why do Gym Leaders keep hanging out with this idiot child?) I would actually have changed it so that Trip became Ash's new companion. He is the one who takes Snivy, while Ash takes Oshawott and evolves him at least once. (And then we leave Tepig to Bianca and get Ash a Darmanitan).

This is because although the concept of a snooty newb rival who learns lessons along the way is fine, it's not exactly new and it's got a lot in common with Iris. So I think that replacing Iris with Trip, say, would not be a particularly large jump. Trip learns all of the same lessons that he did along the way except that Ash is the one teaching him. While not original in that May and Dawn were also sort of Ash Padawans, I think that it would have been a much better use of the character. Trip's place as a rival is taken by Iris, who remains largely the same except that the prodigy Dragon trainer actually starts with more than one Dragon type.

Not sure I agree on Gym battles, though (aside from Roggenrola). I thought that some of them were pretty good.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
The way Skyla used her Swanna against Pikachu was kinda cool, if a bit silly. And Brycen's Beartic is a Beartic.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #12
Sneaze
Mrow?

>MG

That's like a really weird version of Ash's Coma Theory.

Spoiler: show
BORKED

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #13
phoopes
Double Dragon

Get less annoying voice actors for like 90% of characters. Worst offenders I think are Max, Skyla, and Archie
Old 04-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #14
Trepie
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Trepie Send a message via MSN to Trepie
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
Get less annoying voice actors for like 90% of characters. Worst offenders I think are Max, Skyla, and Archie
Ash's voice actor(All of them) are obnoxious. He needs to get through puberty so he can stop sounding like nails on a chalk board.

So I guess that's my re-write, age your characters. In fact why don't they just jump forward a few years and show us all the characters half a decade down the line. If they did that I may consider watching again as all they do currently is a running in place with the occasional stumble backwards. Nothing ever gets accomplished, no one ever grows up unless they leave the show.

Ash is the Peter pan of the Pokemon world. He'll be a little boy forever, while Misty, Brock, May, Max, & Dawn all keep showing up and being considerable better from the last time we saw them. Ash on the other hand has actually taken steps backwards as a trainer and a human being for that matter. I mean really after stopping one disaster after another you think he'd learn something and mature a little and drop this hot headed brat, who forgets almost everything every time he changes zip codes, persona he's built up. They make it seem like he's learning all these life lessons as he travels with his pokemon, but he doesn't learn a god damn thing. Ever.
Trepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #15
Mercutio
Banned

Skyla was annoying period, though. I would probably rewrite the animé to have a filler episode where her jaw is blown off so that she couldn't say anything.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #16
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Ash would have to follow Nuzlocke rules.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #17
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
Ash would have to follow Nuzlocke rules.
Episode 1:

Spoiler: show
Old 05-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #18
deh74
Noted homosexual

I would honestly have new main characters every region.for example...
-Jimmy, Maria, and Jackson would be the characters for johto
-may and Brendan would be the main characters in hoenn
-Dawn, Lucas, and Barry in sinnoh
-Hilbert, Hilda in unova. If probably keep Nate and the other girl as rivals.

I would have the old main characters occasionally appear in other regions in a mentoring or rival role as well so for example I would have ash participate in the johto conference as a mentor/rival, and may would be in sinnoh as a contest mentor for dawn. I would also give the old main characters specials every year or two to continue old story lines and such. Then at the very end of the anime I'd have all the main characters come together for s tournament our to save the works or something.

PASBL
The Whistling Sound of Impending Doom.

Last edited by deh74; 05-03-2013 at 09:49 AM.
deh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #19
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

>End of the anime

Ahahahahaha
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #20
Mercutio
Banned

I think the reason they keep characters around is to more easily keep people hooked. But I agree that some variation is needed. They could do it like the manga does it I suppose, with vets turning up periodically.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON