UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries

Old 09-16-2015, 09:14 PM   #151
Heather
POOTIS!

Volcarona does get Giga Drain-I remember a Volcarona using it in the 2015 VGC Masters Finals. Probably an event deal, but Giga Drain is nice for sunbug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Things One Is Not Allowed To Do In Exalted
244) While not FORBIDDEN, my Midnight is to keep in mind that using an army of animated skeletons in order to fill the town square with a rendition of "Spooky Scary Skeletons" is going to be considered odd at best.
WF Things
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:40 PM   #152
Emi
ACHILLESSSSS

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Giga Drain is not going to help against a Rock-type sadly. It doesn't deal damage.

Fuck these crabs
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:42 PM   #153
KamenAeons
What are you looking at?

DRAIN DRAIN DRAIN SPLAT

Spoiler: show

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:46 PM   #154
Snorby
Snackin'

@Stealthy

You're absolutely right in that Chesnaught and Conkeldurr are even more deserving of TL3 than Scrafty. I was hesitant to nominate Chesnaught because I was certain that it would be shot down because Breloom is TL3, while Conkeldurr I... honestly had mostly forgotten about. I would be more okay with Scrafty staying TL4 if one/both of those went down a peg. (Relatedly: Breloom. Say we move Chesnaught to TL3. Could it realistically be a TL2, or is it too strong for that? Would Breloom be a realistic fit for a TL that contains the likes of Mega-Heracross in terms of Fighting-types? I haven't used either so I have no idea on this)

So yeah, While I do think its comparable to some of the better TL3 mon, my point that it's probably about equal with the likes of Machoke has yet to be refuted, and I could give you another example or two of a comparable mon in TL3, I don't want to belabor the point further than we need to. I'll concede Scrafty if we take a hard look at Ches/Loom and Conk. Although I do think it's silly to try and shut down my argument by saying that Seismitoad would be outclassed in TL4, when it very clearly would have a niche (Quaggy isn't seeing Poison familiar or boosted Earthquake any time soon), but I digress.

Back on topic, I stand by that Hawlucha really ought to be TL3. As I said before, It got like 4 notable moves from tutors. Only one of which (Iron Head) hits one of its weaknesses (that it couldn't already hit) for SE damage. If it's a TL3 without tutors it's a TL3 with tutors, albeit a higher end one. In fact, let's go through the tutor moves:

Bounce- Already had it.
Drain Punch- Nice, but Hawlucha already had Roost for Health Recovery.
Dual Chop- Um, it hits Dragons SE I guess?
Endeavor- Already had it.
Fire Punch- Hawlucha's STABs hit everything this hits. I guess it hits bug/steels?
Focus Punch- An alright attack, but Hawlucha really has better options imo.
Helping Hand- pfffffft
Iron Head- Probably the best thing Hawlucha got, but even this I don't think justifies pushing it up to play with the big boys like Emboar and Swampert.
Last Resort- heh
Low Kick- Super duper niche
Sky Attack- Already had it.
Snore- lool
Superpower- Why are you not using HJK? You should be using HJK.
Tailwind- Pretty nifty, but not really worth bumping it for.
Thunder Punch- Hits Flyings! Yaaaaaay! I mean, Rock offtype did that already, but it's still nice I guess.
Zen Headbutt- Um, it hits Poisons? Fightings are already hit by STAB, sooo...

So let me get this straight: You're telling me that Hawlucha was made good enough by what basically amounts to Iron Head, Tailwind, ThunderPunch, and Drain Punch, and some extra fluff that it needs to go from TL3 to TL4? I find that ridiculous. Hawlucha is definitely more on par with the likes of Gourgeist than the likes of Druddigon.

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #155
Jerichi
本✚能

I think you're really underestimating the utility of having diverse STAB. One of the reasons Psychics are boring and tactically really one-sided is that nearly all of their damaging STABs are identical. Some types like Fire have viable single typed 'mon like Rapidash because they have a diverse set of STAB moves to work off. Fighting is even better because nearly every Fighting move has a different use.

Want to trip up a foe? Low Kick. Want to deliver a huge hit while your foe fucks around? Focus Punch. Want a fast attack with huge damage? Superpower. Want to open the gap and heal yourself too without burning tons of energy? Drain Punch.

You're also underplaying the diversity that the Headbutts and Elemental Punches bring. Just because Hawlucha can't fight its weaknesses more effectively with them doesn't mean they're useless. Zen Headbutt is a great tool to use to clear mental blocks and is a nice option against fellow Fightings that might not car as much about Flying attacks. Thunder Punch is nice for Flying types since you're not always going to have enough Rock to do the job.

That said I think it would be fine at TL3. Its playstyle is really strange and I doubt it would dominate, but I don't think your argument holds much water.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #156
Mew The Gato
Smile

Hawlucha gets moves of plenty of different Types, and has the mobility to hunt things down and dance around, but it has a horrible Special movepool, and its support movepool is nothing special. It will be struggling at a ranged or supporting role. A Fighting Type can be physically reliant, but Hawlucha does not have the physical bulk. It needs to go physical, but it is small and light. It can only go so long before it is pinned or something, even if it gets Fighting Type bonuses for going physical and lifting things.

So, along with the other things mentioned, I think it fits better as a Trainer Level 3 than Trainer Level 4.

Although I suppose it does have Focus Blast, Stone Edge and X-Scissor as ranged moves.

Last edited by Mew The Gato; 09-17-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Mew The Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:37 PM   #157
Connor
Who Knows?

I remain iffy on Scrafty to TL3, but Hawlucha I can take. Changes as follows (which will be implemented now):

Polibros: 5 to 4
Gigalith: 4 to 3
Blissey: 6 to 5
Ambipom: 3 to 4
Pupitar: 3 to 2
Hawlucha: 4 to 3
Fireflies: 4 to 3

Last edited by Connor; 09-18-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Connor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #158
Mercutio
Banned

In fairness Psychic would be a more interesting type if we completely overhauled its moves, but that's hard because of how tricky it is to translate its in game effects.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:44 PM   #159
Jerichi
本✚能

We've already kinda done that though, sadly, but all the common things are either innately similar (Confusion, Psybeam) or are slight variations on each other (Psychic, Psyshock). There's already not much diversity to begin with and we've added interesting effects to the few that can possibly have interesting effects (i.e. Extrasensory and Psywave) but it doesn't really change the fact that Psychic moves are all mental energy blasts.

But that's getting off-topic. Changes are fine.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:30 PM   #160
Snorby
Snackin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
I think you're really underestimating the utility of having diverse STAB. One of the reasons Psychics are boring and tactically really one-sided is that nearly all of their damaging STABs are identical. Some types like Fire have viable single typed 'mon like Rapidash because they have a diverse set of STAB moves to work off. Fighting is even better because nearly every Fighting move has a different use.

Want to trip up a foe? Low Kick. Want to deliver a huge hit while your foe fucks around? Focus Punch. Want a fast attack with huge damage? Superpower. Want to open the gap and heal yourself too without burning tons of energy? Drain Punch.

You're also underplaying the diversity that the Headbutts and Elemental Punches bring. Just because Hawlucha can't fight its weaknesses more effectively with them doesn't mean they're useless. Zen Headbutt is a great tool to use to clear mental blocks and is a nice option against fellow Fightings that might not car as much about Flying attacks. Thunder Punch is nice for Flying types since you're not always going to have enough Rock to do the job.

That said I think it would be fine at TL3. Its playstyle is really strange and I doubt it would dominate, but I don't think your argument holds much water.
Your points are taken, but I would point out that High Jump Kick is both quite powerful and often reffed as being very fast, and that combined with Hawlucha's SC making it better at using the move means that, at least in my opinion, the likes of Focus Punch and Superpower have far less merit on Hawlucha than most 'mon. Also, Hawlucha already got Low Sweep which iirc trips foes without being weight reliant and therefore turns Low Kick into a pretty niche move? As for offtype, Zen Headbutt admittedly is nice for clearly status, but Toxicroak and Terrakion are literally the only fighting types hit harder by Psychic moves than Flying moves, so that point is moot. And the point that Fire Punch brings literally nothing to the table bar the Bug/Steels getting hit hard remains valid.

But I'm belaboring and digressing again. Changes look good to me. Assuming Chesnaught/Conkeldurr that Stealthy brought up have been decided as not worth dropping?

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:55 AM   #161
Connor
Who Knows?

I think there is merit in not dropping Chesnaught. Breloom in no conceivable universe belongs in 2, so Chesnaught dropping to 3 leaves two Pokemon with a unique typing in the same TL - and Chesnaught is definitely the better of the two.

Conkeldurr I dunno. I'd have to check.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:16 AM   #162
Shuckle
Mage of Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post

I do frequently raise the point that Sort By Type isn't the best indicator of if a movepool is good or not. Having the ability to deliver consistent damage and take advantage of gaps in your opponent's orders and ability to defend can occasionally be way more important!

It's why Hydreigon is not an ASB mainstay (it could be, I guess, but I don't hear as much about it as I do about Clefable/Gengar/Dragonite/Snorlax/etc.) despite having an ASB wet dream for a movepool. Dragonite's pool is shallower than Hydreigon's in terms of offtype, yes, but it has a lot more OPTIONS.

Re: Psychic being a boring type, I definitely agree...but the type lacks high-powered offensive moves AND lacks the resistances necessary to narrow their opponents' options down enough to play stronger defensively.

I can think of a few changes that I'd love to make given the chance but etc. etc. not the time etc. etc. not the place etc. etc. etc.

[The Sorcerer's Ambition]A handy link, to be sure.
Level Acquisitions, sorted by level instead of name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
Shuckle's awesomeness level continues to rise.
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:49 AM   #163
Mercutio
Banned

Hydreigon is not a mainstay for the reasons you suggest but actually no Dragonite has better off type because it can use more of it from range. Hydreigon is also not a mainstay because its prevos aren't great where Dratini and Dragonair are excellent.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:58 PM   #164
Slash
Poison Jam

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
So, since there's been no activity here for days, have we sorted out all the problems and bumps now? I'm personally waiting for an official statement that takes off the current stay we have on the changes, but there may be one or two more bumps people might bring up, so I wanted to make sure everyone was done speaking their bits.
As may be expected though, our clear winner here was Kairne, ASB's champion of prioritizing the pokemon you like over those that are objectively better. I mean, one of his mains is a Watchog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.
Leader of the "Stop Screwing Over Smeargle" Brigade

ASB
Art by Kairne
ASB
[URL="http://forums.upnetwork.net/showthread.php?t=4387"]
Daisy Art:

Battlecuts courtesy of DaisyInari

Random stuffs:

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:39 PM   #165
Connor
Who Knows?

Acquisitions as they stand right now officially into effect as of now. You have a fortnight to make any changes necessary to your squad. Mega Stone amnesty likewise lasts for another fortnight, and is a general one now. After that point, you will be pulled up if your squad is still not legal.

Last edited by Connor; 09-26-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Connor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:43 PM   #166
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

Spreadsheet is all legal. If any discrepancies are found please notify me.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries