UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 05-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The International Pokémon Showdown!! (SERIOUS BUSINESS!)

http://kotaku.com/390777/the-internatio ... n-showdown

So it looks like Ian Garvey's long-held claim to fame of being "the crowned USA Pokémon champ" is about to go the way of the dinos! 16 lucky contestants selected from tryouts in Los Angeles and New York City will be flown to Orlando, Florida to compete against the top 16 Pokémon gamers from Japan -- and so, by definition, whichever American finishes in 1st place will be the newly-recognized official USA Pokémon champion. It gets better: should he win it all, he'll not only rip the title out from Ian's hands but will be crowned the world's greatest Pokémon master.

As if that's not good enough ... I have high hopes to see Ian actually partake in this contest. Because nothing would tickle my funny bone (and seriously weird me out) more than to see him win the US title again, eight years after the then-unknown EeveeTrainer first catapulted to Pokemon superstardom.

Are you man enough? Are you game enough? Do you live in the New York City or Los Angeles area? Then what are you waiting for? Represent UPN and fucking win this thing! XD

I hope Reed and Muyo seriously consider doing this, although Muyo's off in Australia so fat chance I guess. If it meant he'd go and try it out (for real), I'd pony up $20 to cover some of Reed's expenses through anonymous cash mail. I really think we have a few members here who could make the top 16, and I'd love to see them at least try.

I can't load the official site, so I can't confirm what the age cutoff is. I'm guessing 17, but if there's no cap, w007 w007 for Reed, Muyo, and anyone else who might consider doing this.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
Betagold
Pokemon Trainer

Re: The International Pokémon Showdown!! (SERIOUS BUSINESS!)

If only I had started ev training my team earlier. I guess I'll have to be ready by the time they do this again next year. With that free week on a boat at the end of the summer, I should be fine.
Betagold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betagold
I guess I'll have to be ready by the time they do this again next year.

. . .

If Nintendo of America's track record is anything to judge by, the next official pan-American Pokémon tournament won't be held until 2016.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Where's the "go kuno! you should enter!" support?

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The same place the "Go Loki! You should enter!" support is: absent. In your case, I felt that I knew you'd be too lazy to sign up and go. By your own FF-grounded admission relating to other activities, I just figured that while you have fun and have a team that can beat my team's ass you're still not the kind of guy likely to go. I'd at least go (if it were in Indy), but I'd be eliminated first round like Gabe in that PA comic with the deaf kid.

But judging from your response, I guess it was hurtful and maybe you would actually go to this kind of thing. If so, then hell yeah I'm cheering for you!
Old 05-15-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
Betagold
Pokemon Trainer

They did the tenth anniversary one, then this one, so the next tournament should come around either sometime next year, or on the 15th anniversary, which is the next big one.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
Lady Kuno

Yeah I might go. Dunno if I wanna go with my current team though, despite it's kick-assery.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betagold
They did the tenth anniversary one, then this one, so the next tournament should come around either sometime next year, or on the 15th anniversary, which is the next big one.
I may be mistaken, but the last time a US champion was selected to square off against the Japanese was in 2000 afaik; furthermore, we haven't crowned a US champ since 2000, even if we have held Poke tournaments (e.g. the GameStop one last summer when Battle Revolution came out).
Old 05-15-2008, 08:40 PM   #9
Betagold
Pokemon Trainer

If you look at the rules, not only have they banned Dragonite, Tyranitar, and Phione and allowed Lati@s, your pokemon must be at level 50. No leveling down or up, at level 50. Also, any hacked pokemon off the GTS, and you're barred from competing, even if you didn't know they were hacked.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:49 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Level 50 = fuck that, retarded. I can understand them wanting to ban Level 100s because "everyone's got tons of Level 100s already" but mandating that the Pokemon be at Level 50 precisely is bullshit when we live in a world where the game engine is fully capable of equalizing the playing field between disparately-leveled teams.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #11
Betagold
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
Level 50 = fuck that, retarded. I can understand them wanting to ban Level 100s because "everyone's got tons of Level 100s already" but mandating that the Pokemon be at Level 50 precisely is bullshit when we live in a world where the game engine is fully capable of equalizing the playing field between disparately-leveled teams.
I'm glad someone saw it my way. So, anyone actually gonna go to this event? We'll cheer whole-heartedly if you do. If you use a Seaking-Mudkip combination, you'll be a legend.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #12
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Lol, 4v4 Double Battles. Most. Retarded. Concept. Ever.

Explosion
Earthquake
Perish Song
Protect
Protect
Protect

GG.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:33 AM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I tried signing up but it keeps insisting that (for example) when I select July as my birth month on Page 1 on Page 2 it reports it as "06/XX/XXXX". Broken webdesign = it's good to see that the official Pokémon website is as shitty as I remember it from 1999.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:58 AM   #14
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

I'm trying to register, but...well...their server has gone fucking retarded.

Quote:
Not in local wifi. They actually did a halfway decent job with the rules this time, so I'm willing to give credit where credit is due.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:22 AM   #15
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

This is a lot like the JAA tourney, it seems, just without ubers. One of my regular battling partners was in top 4/8 (I don't remember) of that but ended up getting screwed by the time limit that was in place (After time up, whoever's Poke had the most HP won) and his Dusclops at full had less HP than the other guy's Snorlax. If it had gone two more rounds, the Snorlax would've been out of PP for all moves except one, and forced to use Selfdestruct. He went on to win the JAA tourney anyway, and my buddy is still bittr as hell about it xd

Damn, there's no way I'd be able to get to LA to do that, even though it would be hella fun. Somebody needs to get an Australian champion in there too.

I'll help you plan a team if you want, Reed.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #16
Lady Kuno

Oh man I didn't even notice they have to be level 50, and no TTar. :/ There goes my team. XD

Old 06-18-2008, 06:13 PM   #17
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Good news: I got an e-mail saying I'm going to the qualifiers

Bad news: I haven't prepared for this at all, fuck

Muyo, you need to help me brainstorm a team stat.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 PM   #18
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Then come on AIM.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:42 PM   #19
deoxys
Fog Badge

My friend went to Pokemon Across America Tour like a year ago and came in like, 4th... and he has the medal to prove it -_-; His brother, who is also the 2004 DBZ TCG World Champion, participated, and I believe he came in 3rd.

Hmm. Someone. Who isn't me... should go. And kick ass.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:06 PM   #20
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

I was thinking you could have a quite spectacular disruption team on that, since JAA showed that, in general, people in double battles <3 Selfdestruct/Explosion teams. Wish I could enter myself, but helping Reed win would be just about as good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON