UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 11-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
When did Burger King become awesome?

We all remember The King advertising campaign. But beyond that, Burger King seems to have become awesome overnight, and I don't know why.

I just got back from wasting myself. After buying expensive bottled soda, I noticed the local BK near me (just a few blocks) sold soda at a comparable rate, with unlimited refills.

Reason #1 supporting based Burger King: Soda Machine God

Instead of a normal fountain, there's this red jukebox looking thing. It has an LCD touch pane on front with something like twenty soda options, including Dasani, Minute Maid Lemonade, Coke, Dr. Pepper, Fanta, Barqs, and all manner of diet. There's more but I forgot.

The real killer though is clicking on any of those options. I'd only clicked Diet Barqs the first time I tried it, but the second time I looked up the soda options and when you do, you get 2-10 sub-options. The sub-options involve any kind of syrup you can include in the soda, and is permitted for almost any drink you want.

You can get Cherry Coke.
Or Vanilla Coke.
Or Cherry Vanilla Coke.
Or Orange Cherry Vanilla Coke (?!).
Or Orange Cherry Vanilla Diet Coke.
Or Caffeine-free Orange Cherry Vanilla Diet Coke.
Or Caffeine-free Orange Cherry Vanilla Diet Coke Zero.
Or Caffeine-free Orange Cherry Vanilla Diet Barqs Zero.

Huh? This is like one of those olde-tyme soda fountains, but those went extinct in the 1950's, right? Not anymore. This machine is awesome and I consumed so much soda, I kind of got reverse-drunk. I feel like a Terran Marine following a stim-pack. Ohhh yeah!

Reason #2 supporting based Burger King: Hamburgers

In my youth, I used to enjoy $.69 McDonald's hamburgers. I'd go home and add all sorts of vegetables on a plain hamburger, and for 12 year old body, those two burgers made for a pretty good lunch. But McDonalds had long since discontinued that promotion, and the hamburgers got a bit too expensive to eat on a regular basis.

When I'd go to BK in the past, I'd order Whoppers or Whopper Jrs. BK never had the equivalent of a Carl's Jr. Spicey Chicken Sandwich or Big Burger, which were huge sandwiches for slightly more than a dollar ($1.1. Inflation has since increased the cost of those sandwiches, but they were pretty good fast food for their cost.

I did not know BK had something similar. I always assumed the Whopper Jr. was the smallest burger they went. But I listened in to this one guy give an order, and discovered BK had those burgers as well. I remember eating them in my youth and thinking they were kid's meal burgers, and that they'd cost a bit more than a dollar like the CJ's. Nope, $.89. Even with tax, that was less than a dollar.

So I go in with three dollars, expecting to buy a small soda and drink myself to death, instead I get a medium soda, a small hamburger and blow my brains out with caffeine.

Based BK.

[disclaimer: I'm pretty wired right now. I'm probably going to wake up, see this post and freak out]
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post

Instead of a normal fountain, there's this red jukebox looking thing. It has an LCD touch pane on front with something like twenty soda options, including Dasani, Minute Maid Lemonade, Coke, Dr. Pepper, Fanta, Barqs, and all manner of diet. There's more but I forgot.

The real killer though is clicking on any of those options. I'd only clicked Diet Barqs the first time I tried it, but the second time I looked up the soda options and when you do, you get 2-10 sub-options. The sub-options involve any kind of syrup you can include in the soda, and is permitted for almost any drink you want.

You can get Cherry Coke.
Or Vanilla Coke.
Or Cherry Vanilla Coke.

Huh? This is like one of those olde-tyme soda fountains, but those went extinct in the 1950's, right? Not anymore. This machine is awesome and I consumed so much soda, I kind of got reverse-drunk. I feel like a Terran Marine following a stim-pack. Ohhh yeah!
I have one of these in my campus's equivalent of a buffet and it really is a soda machine god! I usually get ALL THE COKE with some occasional root beer but ahhh I love it so much

Wait I should say something BK related

Out of all the food places in my Student Union building the only place I haven't eaten yet is the Burger King actually, haha. But when I can get food at Asian Chao or Qdoba why settle for a burger? :u

Hi, I'm Daisy!

Spoiler: show
W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Burger King has had those red dispensers for at least the past 3 years. And they've had plain hamburgers, umm, since forever? ^^; Glad you had fun though.

Oh, and they've had unlimited refills since forever too. (Earliest personal memory circa 1995 but I'm sure it predates that.)
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Oh, I don't doubt I've been missing out. But I normally don't visit fast food restaurants anymore, the only one I used to visit with regularity was this A&W Root Beer Store in Sacramento because it made its own A&W diet draft, actually preparing its own vanilla for seasoning. I'd drink that stuff mad while listening to KNBR when I was returning from a run to Sacramento State.

Actually, that's not true. I've been inside In-N-Outs and Carl's Jr. BUT-

In-N-Out hasn't changed since 1995. Their whole philosophy is that the passage of time is for hipsters.

Carl's Jr.'s only major change was making stuff more expensive. Oh, I did visit Jack in the Box for shakes, but never to order anything. I don't even know their menus.

I need to visit places and see what's trending.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Tried a couple of those flavour-adding Coke machines at Burger King, Five Guys, and a few other places! They're awesome, especially since I almost always mix fountain sodas already! Too bad they don't enable all the flavours for each soda choice. They're already being injected separately from the drink.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Five Guys also has those dispensers now in some places! I think it depends on where you live, Doppel, as to whether BK has those... I haven't seen one in a BK (though admittedly I haven't been inside one in two years).
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
phoopes
Double Dragon

The Five Guys and Burger King near my house don't have those dispensers. ;_;

However, the Moe's (think Chipotle, except not quite as healthy-minded) has one and yeah, it's pretty cool. Even though I don't like soda, the machine itself is awesome.

I've always loved Burger King, though I've started to explore other options recently since BK took chicken fries off the menu. Bad decision, Burger King.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
I have heard about these dispensers but have never seen them in real life. You say every Burger King has them?
Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
All the BK's around me are semi-ghetto, so we don't get anything that awesome. Funnily enough we have those in the movie theater nearby, although it's wasted on me because I just get regular Coke Zero.

YEAH THAT'S RIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS I DRINK COKE ZERO COME AT ME BROS

Quote:
Reason #2 supporting based Burger King: Hamburgers
Burgers decent, fries meh (ever since they switched to the new, thicker cut fries). I prefer Wendy's for my fast-food burger fix (as a California resident I'm technically legally obligated to list In-n-Out as my favorite burger joint, but fuck's sake those hamburgers are about the size of a half-dollar coin).

So yeah, you paean to BK is probably the booze talking.

EDIT: Also Jack in the Box has really good seasoned curly fries, you're missing out

EDIT EDIT: Yeah I probably eat too much fast food, given that I can now hear my arteries calcifying

Last edited by Blastoise; 11-26-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Blastoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I checked with my roommate who goes to BK, and she said the one near us has that machine.

Btw McDouble > other cheap burgers
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The McDouble is easily the best bang for the poor man's buck. Burger King's $1 offering is inferior (they used to have the superior Buck Double but then they replaced it with the shitty BK Stacker) and Wendy's $1 offering is like setting your dollar on fire. Hardee's doesn't even have a dollar menu, do they?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #12
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

BK does have the better burgers of most fast food burger places around me. That slightly burnt taste the burgers have is pretty good. Also their tendercrisp is one of the best chicken sandwiches I've ever had.

I've never seen one of those drink dispensers that you're talking about. I never cared for fountain drinks anyway. I would rather just buy a bottled drink at a convenient store anyway.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #13
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
I've never seen one of those drink dispensers that you're talking about. I never cared for fountain drinks anyway. I would rather just buy a bottled drink at a convenient store anyway.
Interestingly, while I was trying to drown myself I read the BK menu (as I do) and noticed some curious factoroids.

The diet sodas had a non-zero sodium content, while any particular bottle of diet doesn't have it. At large quantities, too (>40 oz, I drank maybe 100 oz) the drinks start to accumulate calories. So what gives?

Two aspects. A footnote claimed that the sodium was derived from metabolic breakdown of some compounds in the soda. I presume that this is the same as in bottled soda, so I suspect the bottled soda is labeled in such a way (that is, defining serving size as half of a 20 oz soda) that it can hide the fact that there's sodium in the bottle, but it's at a <1 amount as defined by the serving size and so can be reported as 0. BPK was right!

The footnote also suggested that the calories and sodium can be acquired from the water used to mix the soda. Bottlers use HPLC-grade water, methinks, so that would limit the amount.

Still, 15 mg of sodium ain't a lot. Not when the regular has something like 400. But jimmy cracked corn and I don't care, I was LIED to.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-27-2012, 12:15 AM   #14
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If they list any acid as the conjugate base rather than as the acid (so for example "ascorbate" rather than "ascorbic acid" or "phosphate" rather than "phosphoric acid") then it's possible that the sodium lies there. For example, sodium benzoate, a widely-used food preservative, is reportedly used in some sodas as well, though according to a cursory glance through the academically bulletproof resource that is Wikipedia I did see that some countries have banned its inclusion in soft drinks in recent years (like the UK in 2008 ). It's also listed as "E211" so if you see E211 on any bottles then that's what it is, sodium benzoate, the sodium salt version of benzoic acid.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:47 AM   #15
Ethereal
Creepy Hand Person

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal Send a message via MSN to Ethereal Send a message via Skype™ to Ethereal
In my area, the quality of Burger King gets worse every time I go. ._. The food tastes fine, but it's just largely overclassed by McDonalds (which I don't even really like) and Wendy's because I'm always hungry again in half an hour, and the fries suck butt.

Also yeah that soda thing is cool but I don't really like soda and they have them at other restaurants.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:16 AM   #16
deoxys
Fog Badge

Wait, you didn't know about the Freestyle Coke machines? They'll be in every Coke restaurant soon.

Also, Bacon sundaes. Burger King had them over the sumer. Sounds gross, and incredibly unhealthy, but they are actually seriously delicious.

Back in the 90s, BK had amazing jalapeno poppers that no other recipe has even come close to comparing to in taste. I miss them... they were the thing that got me into spicy food in general.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:09 AM   #17
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

I love the freestyle coke machines. There are a couple of fast food places that have it near me, including Moe's (which phoopes mentioned). Honestly though, I haven't eaten BK in ages, and I actually wouldn't be able to tell you where the nearest one is now that I've moved... I should look that up.

I recommend Mello Yello + Peach flavor. It's my favorite. :3
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #18
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:

You can get Cherry Coke.
Or Vanilla Coke.
Or Cherry Vanilla Coke.
Here's a kicker: we don't have all that stuff in Finland. Vanilla/Cherry/etc. Coke? Over-priced, in cans, in selected grocery stores. When you go to a fast food joint, you can select your drink from the following: Coca-Cola, Coca-Cola Zero, (Coca-Cola Light), Fanta, Sprite/7Up, water. You can also get milk, but that doesn't come from a machine. No mixing of drinks either!

Special-flavored Cokes and Pepsis (in bottles) appear briefly about once a year, but they rarely have success and always disappear from the market quickly. I recall I enjoyed Pepsi Twist(?), which had lemon in it - haven't seen it in years.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #19
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
Here's a kicker: we don't have all that stuff in Finland. Vanilla/Cherry/etc. Coke? Over-priced, in cans, in selected grocery stores. When you go to a fast food joint, you can select your drink from the following: Coca-Cola, Coca-Cola Zero, (Coca-Cola Light), Fanta, Sprite/7Up, water. You can also get milk, but that doesn't come from a machine. No mixing of drinks either!

Special-flavored Cokes and Pepsis (in bottles) appear briefly about once a year, but they rarely have success and always disappear from the market quickly. I recall I enjoyed Pepsi Twist(?), which had lemon in it - haven't seen it in years.
I, too, enjoy Cola with lemon, which is why I always pour the cup 3/4ths of the way with Coke and the rest with Minute Maid Lemonade. Do you not mix drinks because you don't want to or is it legally not allowed or something?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #20
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I haven't seen a freestyle coke machine at one, but I also haven't been to a BK or McDs in years (not counting the drive-thru). I think my local movie theater just got one though. It also upgraded all their seats to be leather recliners. It's ridiculously good though. Hell, I'd practically pay to take a nap there if I had that kind of a disposable income.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #21
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

They're just behind the counter so you can't mix as you please. They do, however, have Hesburger, which more than makes up for any lack of drinks. So tasty.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #22
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

We've had those fancy dispensers all around the city for a while. Being Coke's test market means we get all the cool shit earlier.

They're pretty nifty!

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #23
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
That's because you're European, and the way soda is priced/sold in Europe you would be forgiven for thinking that it was made of crushed diamond powder mixed with unicorn tears.

Also no free refills, which pretty much also proves that the whole "Europeans are more enlightened than Americans" thing is a filthy lie.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #24
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Burger King is the one fast food place I regularly don't go to. Every so often I see one and think 'Why don't I have Burger King more often?'

Then I have a burger and remember why I don't have Burger King more often.

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari

DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #25
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Reason 1 don't apply to me cause none of the ones I go to have fancy stuff like that. Reason 2 doesn't work either. I didn't like their burgers ever, but when I was younger and they had kids meals with pokemon toys I made myself eat 'em, forever cementing my dislike of their burgers... and fries for that matter. x_x;
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc