UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out > Hall of Records > TCG Corner Records

Old 06-15-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
enchantress
Queen of the Night

Wooper General Info & FAQ

The TCG Forum is something Arn and I have been discussing on and off for more than three years now. With FB trying to introduce as many aspects of the Pokémon games and Animé as possible it only seemed natural that the Pokémon Trading Cards will eventually be incorporated as well. The cards are tradeable (obviously :p), and if you wish to create an album you may do so in your Base which is what one of the blank spaces at the beginning of base threads was saved for when they first came out way back then. Shows you how long we've been talking about introducing this.

With the cards initially being introduced as a collectible item, we preferred to wait and see if there was enough interest in Trading Card Battles in order for us to set them up. However, since I personally have no experience with the cards I've left it up to someone who knows what they're doing to create a workable battling system. Eon has come forward and submitted a decent system for the Trading Card Battles, and as a result has now been Modded to this forum so that he may take active control over the battling aspect of the TCG Corner.

Arnold and myself will still be watching over the TCG Corner, running the Trading Card Palace, and keeping an eye on the Trading Centre, but when it comes to battles Eon is the man to ask.

So congratulations to Eon on his new position as Moderator of the TCG Corner, we'll now be leaving battles in your capable hands ^-^
Old 07-20-2007, 10:56 AM   #2
Eon
Pokemon Trainer

Re: General Info & FAQ

This post will be edited with Q & A's after they are asked.

PC Pokemon:
Angel Lv. 50 Luna Lv. 100 Stratus Lv. 29 Oz Lv. 5 Cascade Lv. 5 Senna Lv. 100 Melody Lv. 5 Levin Lv. 5
Eon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
Dark Fire
Boulder Badge

FAQ

I don't know whether this was covered, but how do the players know which cards they begin with? Does the ref draw the cards and then PMs them?

Also, just to be sure, we can only battle with cards that we own. We can't let's say create a deck with cards we don't have and use that?

.: FB :.:.: PC :.:.: CC :.:.: TCG :.
Dark Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:08 PM   #4
Eon
Pokemon Trainer

Re: TCG Battle Rules

Refs will PM any card draws to the players. And yes, you can only battle with cards you own.

PC Pokemon:
Angel Lv. 50 Luna Lv. 100 Stratus Lv. 29 Oz Lv. 5 Cascade Lv. 5 Senna Lv. 100 Melody Lv. 5 Levin Lv. 5
Eon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:43 AM   #5
takkupanda
Charismagnetism

Send a message via Skype™ to takkupanda
Is anyone active in the TCG corner (has anyone been active in a while)? I have money and want to buy cards, but it's pointless if no one else is doing it!

Fizzy Bubbles

Cable Club Trading List
takkupanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
enchantress
Queen of the Night

Perhaps as people show more interest in TCG battles, those with cards will come forward and those without them will start buying.

It's just a matter of letting people know the interest is here, so good start ~-^.
enchantress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Once I get into the swing of things and get some disposable cash, I'd like to start making a deck and play.
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
takkupanda
Charismagnetism

Send a message via Skype™ to takkupanda
Now with the huge jackpot, I have a lot of cash which I was almost about to spend on buying cards when I realized that there are no cards after Generation II! Is that how long people have been inactive here? I mean it makes me rethink about splashing the cash on the cards...

Fizzy Bubbles

Cable Club Trading List
takkupanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Send a message via Skype™ to Balmund
Personally, I like playing with the first gen cards. It makes for a different experience compared to how the game plays nowadays. I'd love to get back on the groove and perhaps even dump a lot more money on some cards. I'm still far from building my ideal deck for the current sets.
Balmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
Shadowshocker
used First Impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by takkupanda View Post
Now with the huge jackpot, I have a lot of cash which I was almost about to spend on buying cards when I realized that there are no cards after Generation II! Is that how long people have been inactive here? I mean it makes me rethink about splashing the cash on the cards...
So many sets exist that I think making everything available up to Generation V would be rather crazy - and Generation I isn't a bad way to start out (coming from someone who does, at the moment, spend money on real cards and is having his deck torn apart by everyone else's Zekrom EXes). Generation I seems more balanced as a metagame; if you'd like, form a deck you want and we'll see if my Zombie Horde still has it. ;p
Shadowshocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post
So many sets exist that I think making everything available up to Generation V would be rather crazy - and Generation I isn't a bad way to start out.
Not to mention that by the current rules, some of the cards are hideously broken (unlimited Pokepowers, anyone?), and it would be an interesting change of pace for competitive metagamers like Shadowshocker.

I <3 my Damage Swap Alakazam + Pokemon Center combo.

On the other hand, this also offers opportunities for rule bending. Technically, we're still at the start if we need a revival. There are all sorts of things we could do to make the game interesting!

Eh, maybe I'm reading too much into this. All I'm going to say for now is that after a month or two of income, I will be intensely interested in this game.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #12
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

You can have 4 cards with the same name in your deck, right? For all kinds of cards but Energy? Does that include Darkness energy?
Old 04-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #13
Tuner89
Rainbow Badge

Correct. Except you can only have 4 of each special energy(including Darkness Energy) as well.

Thanks Pengy!

Watching every episode of pokemon

Most Recent Episode: Se3 Ep133 - Fighting Flyer With Fire
Tuner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #14
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm going to break this down by bullets but you can consider it one mega-question:
  • Are cards which are banned in the actual PTCG banned in the Fizzy Bubbles PTCG?
    • If yes, then which banlist are we using: the banlist up through the latest expansion of cards in the Fizzy Bubbles PTCG? (At the time of this writing, the Neo Genesis block, meaning a banlist printed prior to the release of Neo Discovery either on June 1, 2001 for North America or on July 7, 2000 for Japan.) Or the most current banlist?
    • If yes, then if a card is banned but has been functionally reprinted, and if the functional reprint is legal, then is the banned card also legal? (Example: Professor Oak --> Professor Juniper)
The example in the last bullet point may be wrong so don't skewer me, PTCG fanboys ^^;, it's just that I seem to remember from back in the day when I used to play the PTCG during the WotC era that Professor Oak was deemed too powerful and so they rotated it out in favor of the significantly weaker Professor Elm. I can't seem to find any evidence of this online however so it may just be my memory playing tricks on me. Putting the example aside, however, the question still stands.

The reason I am asking this question is because the answer could affect what boosters or theme decks I decide to purchase and I imagine the same to be true for others.

If we are using a banlist, whatever that banlist may be, then it would be great if the banlist were posted somewhere visible. I looked for one before submitting this question but was not able to find it. Apologies if it's there but I looked through four different threads and didn't see it.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:36 AM   #15
Balmund
'Munds of fun

As far as I'm concerned, we're playing in the Unlimited format, which allows use of all cards released so far. There's also the more standard Modified format however, which only uses cards within the last three expansions if I'm not mistaken, as well as including its own banlist which so far is only limited to Sneasel and Slowking (and of course this means powerful trainers like Professor Oak get rotated out in favor of the likes of Misty' Wrath and Cleffa). There are many counters to Sneasel and Slowking in Unlimited though *cough*Energy Removal*cough* , so no need to panic over them here.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:48 AM   #16
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You say that, but Slowking was actually banned during the very same block he was released. ^^; (Bulbapedia reports "the end of 2002" but I'm not sure that's correct since I remember discussing the Slowking ban with Jaxel-era UPNers over Apprentice. It's always possible those discussions took place during the UPN Refuge era, but whatever. The point is, Slowking was banned some time during the Neo set if not before the release of Neo Discovery.) Sorry if I'm raining on your own Slowking parade ^^; but this is the very reason I'm asking the staff these sorts of questions now rather than later. I would hate to invest in 200,000+ coins' worth of cards in attempts to get cards to build a deck only to find out that a crutch card for the deck mechanic is banned.

The other reason I ask is because a friend of mine recently went to a convention where she saw a banlist of cards. I was surprised to see some of the cards listed because (a) I did not remember them being banned back when I played in the WotC era and (b) they struck me as signficantly weaker than cards which are legal today. When I went on Bulbapedia to look up whether there was any noted history of these cards being banned or not, I could find nothing. Obviously the more famous entries like Neo Genesis Slowking and Neo Genesis Sneasel turned up with paragraphs about their bannings, but the more curious cards listed on the poster my friend saw at the convention had no such ban notes in their Bulbapedia articles.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:37 AM   #17
Balmund
'Munds of fun

I'm aware of Slowking being outright banned within its own block when it was released, and it was what I had hoped to imply in my previous post, but that doesn't really matter. Myself, I had never heard of any other cards being banned other than Sneasel and Slowking (up until Neo Gen). Cards do get rotated out for tournament play, which is known as playing on Modified Format, but no, nobody has been enforcing Modified over here. We're playing in Unlimited Format instead, and as such all cards are good to use, with perhaps the exception of special promo cards which were sometimes given as prizes.

Last edited by Balmund; 07-16-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:43 AM   #18
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Are you speaking on behalf of the Fizzy Bubbles PTCG staff? While I'm cool with discussing the matter with fellow non-staffers, I'd like a staff ruling, not regular member conjecture, before I make any decision regarding future card purchases.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:55 AM   #19
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Well no, I can't honestly say I speak on behalf of the staff (though I'm do not consider myself new to FBPTCG at all either). If you want actual confirmation from a staff member, feel free to wait for their response~
Old 07-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #20
enchantress
Queen of the Night

Balmund has pretty much hit the nail on the head. There are no banned cards in FB in any of the currently released expansions (Base, Jungle, Fossil, Team Rocket, Gym Heroes, Gym Challenge, and Neo Genesis). We'll need to check over all of the promo cards that have been given away just to double-check, but until they're verified it's best to consider them off-limits. Ancient Mew is the only one I can state is definitely not to be used in play, but we'll be sure to clarify this for you soon.
enchantress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #21
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Can someone who has quicker access to this information than me look up if Darkness Energy is available in Neo Discovery set please or just Neo Genesis?

I am aware it's still a rare card.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #22
Arc_Angel
Ghostly Mistress

It's not listed here as being available in the ND card list so I assume not. It is available through the NG set or the energy booster pack so you'd have to go that way to get them
Arc_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #23
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Can Darkness Energy be in an energy booster pack? I thought they were all Common cards? Or is that something that rarely happens (like hatching a Pokemon with an Egg move from the Egg House)? (Pardon the pun)

Thank you for the quick answer Arc.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #24
Arc_Angel
Ghostly Mistress

I just double checked and Darkness Energy is rare, the Booster Pack contains common and sometimes an uncommon card so you'll have to try the NG boosters it would seem ^-^;;
Arc_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #25
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Ok no problem. Wanted to double check. Thanks again. =)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out > Hall of Records > TCG Corner Records