UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 05-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #2051
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
>Bone Rush

I will never understand why people think they need Fire coverage. ESPECIALLY on Mega Lucario, where Adaptability CC does more damage than Earthquake.

>Iron Head

For some reason it doesn't.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #2052
Red Panda
head head bitch

I already have ExtremeSpeed, so Priority isn't an issue.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #2053
Heather
Naga's Voice

I second that, does Dragonite get Iron head? Because if it does i need to do some maintenance.

Also I get all twitchy and nervous when I'm not covering a base that something that is way too common in the meta can abuse the crap out of. And out of all the legends I see, Heatran is one of the most common.

So, not sure if we all have heard but Kanghaskanite is being suspected in doubles and a number of legends have been removed from RU, namely Azelf, Kyuurem, Raikou and Tornadus, and one non legend has been removed, that being Sableye. Not sure why Kyurem was in RU to begin with, best I can think of is the presence of people who love to "lolFocusBlast" all over the plac, which cripples Kyurem. Though it isn't that common from what I've seen on Showdown. It was MUCH more rampant in B/W 2's PWT though. Funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park

Last edited by Heather; 05-10-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #2054
Cloneblazer12
somewhat temporarily back

Send a message via Skype™ to Cloneblazer12
Myles what are you on about?
Old 05-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #2055
Heather
Naga's Voice

I'm on about replying/putting in new info for discussion without doubleposting.

Quote:
Old 05-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #2056
Emi

I have no idea.

>RU

RU got rid of the stuff that was definitely not supposed to be in RU in the first place. It had nothing to do with them being legends. Remember, the tiers are made primarily from Usage stats, and Kyurem isn't common because of his low speed and Stealth Rock weakness.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #2057
Heather
Naga's Voice

Yeah, usage stats explains why many legends aren't Ubers, in fact i think i've said many a time why thats probably the best explanation. Some dont like their weaknesses, others just don't think they should be used because of their status, like myself.

Quote:
Old 05-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #2058
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
>Implying that Uber has anything to do with usage stats

Admittedly something that gets bumped to Uber would probably be super-popular, but that's really not how it gets decided.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #2059
Emi

Ubers is completely different and is based on how powerful something is in the OU meta.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #2060
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Mixed Lucario is hard to use but can be good. Choice Band Mixed Lucario should not and does not exist
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #2061
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Is Moxie supposed to work like this? (not my match)

So yeah, I dunno if this is a Showdown glitch or a 6th gen glitch as a whole, but on turn five, Pyroar uses Hyper Voice. Hawlucha gets hit and survives, activating the Red Card, forcing Pyroar to switch out. Hyper Voice then KOs Golduck, giving Noivern a Moxie boost. Huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:05 PM   #2062
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

The way Moxie is prioritized in action order, that is possible. Whether it happens in the games, I'm not sure
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:26 PM   #2063
Emi

It's likely not a glitch. I'd still see what smogon has to say about it though.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:16 PM   #2064
Red Panda
head head bitch

Super Escavalier

Spoiler: show
Honestly the best move he could've made after Granbull went down would've been to bring in Chimecho and HP Fire me to death. He would've outsped cause paralyzation.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #2065
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Is Moxie supposed to work like this? (not my match)

So yeah, I dunno if this is a Showdown glitch or a 6th gen glitch as a whole, but on turn five, Pyroar uses Hyper Voice. Hawlucha gets hit and survives, activating the Red Card, forcing Pyroar to switch out. Hyper Voice then KOs Golduck, giving Noivern a Moxie boost. Huh?
20:18 sirDonovan no, that's not correct
20:18 sirDonovan i'll look into it when i get back

He's a developer. Should be fixed soon-ish.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:05 PM   #2066
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

Phoopes with the inside schoopes. And RU's pretty cool now. Haven't played it much with the new bans, but they shouldn't change much besides removing the op. Wall breaker Emboar looks fun.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #2067
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Did not realize that Random Doubles was a thing until SoS's post. Decided to give it a go.

Here's my fourth game of four played so far. Was by far the closest of the four.

I'm currently sitting pretty at 4 wins, 0 losses, 0 ties, but obviously that's just because I'm fighting the bottom of the barrel players and fellow beginners right now. It won't last. Still, unlike in Singles where it takes several hundred points to hit nailbiter territory, here I was already fighting tooth and nail for my victories by Game 2 or Game 3. It was nuts. I think three of my four games have come down to the final pair (so the wins've been no better than 2-0, I'm saying) and this most recent game, as you can see, came right down to the final Pokémon and would've been my opponent's victory had Stone Edge missed or failed to do enough damage thanks to that stupid burn. But thankfully it didn't miss and it did do enough damage to KO Jellicent, and thus I got my fourth win in a row.

Mega Mewtwo X seems pretty damn frightening in Doubles. He's frightening in Singles too, but in Doubles he's especially bad because you're guaranteed to lose someone so long as the Mewtwo user doesn't fall for your traps and/or so long as you don't have a team of nothing but Mewtwo counters. Like, take this match for instance. I baited him into Psystriking my Hariyama and he fell for it. Had he not fallen for it, I would've guaranteed lost Beartic that turn. And even with him falling for it, all it really accomplished was making Mewtwo waste a turn. He was still free to slay me the following turn with his choice of attacking move. Had he had Aura Sphere or some other Fighting-type move, Hydreigon or Beartic would've been sunk. The only reason I didn't lose either of them next turn is down to sheer luck that my opponent's Mega Mewtwo X had a shit moveset (apparently).

As much as I respect entry hazards from my years of playing in the Singles format, I'm starting to see even after only a very few games why they're not so popular in Doubles. It's true what people say: you really do switch a lot less in Doubles than in Singles. There's simply too much unpredictability in Doubles to make strategic switching as strategically sound as it is in Singles.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #2068
Red Panda
head head bitch

Wherein my opponents team is amazing

I too had never realized that Doubles Randbats were a thing ^_^

Well, starting off the battle I felt horrible. My opponent starts with an Archeops and Manaphy for crying out loud, while I get Heliolisk and Slowking, who aren't necessarily bad by any regards. I was sure that death was upon me...

Until Heliolisk outsped and OHKOd Archeops.

Momentum shifted towards me in the second turn where I a) correctly predicted EQ b) killed Manaphy and c) Burnt Arbok. Still, though, my team was Latias/Pyroar/Purugly/Emolga/Heliolisk/Slowking. I correctly predicted more of their moves, seating me with a nice advantage. Their last two pokemon we Arceus and Darkrai. "Here it ends." I thought. Didn't expect it to end for them ^_^ Purugly is insanely fast in randbats.

Ending teams were Me: Latias/Pyroar/Purugly/Emolga/Heliolisk/Slowking and Them: Archeops/Manaphy/Darkrai/Arceus-Fighting/Purugly/Arbok

I 6-0d them, and didn't even need to call out Pyroar or Latias. Not what you would expect just from looking at the rosters.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:09 PM   #2069
Heather
Naga's Voice

Slowking is great.
/bias

Quote:
Old 05-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #2070
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Wow he was awful at predicting. He mispredicted every switch you made.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #2071
Red Panda
head head bitch

Yeah, it wasn't even that I was excellent at predicting. The EQ and some Sucker Punches I can claim, but the rest I wasn't exactly expecting anything in the first place.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:43 AM   #2072
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wherein I want to Thunder Wave things. (Doubles Random Battle; 13 turns)

My first loss, putting me at 5 W 1 L 0 T. ^^; Oh well. Unlike Red, my experience has been almost nothing but close calls and this has certainly been the case these past few games. As you see here, this game was won/lost by only one Pokémon.

A lot of turns were, in hindsight, wasted on Taunting Breloom and attempting to burn or paralyze things. But even in foresight, I made a huge misplay when I attempted to paralyze the obviously-faster Ninjask. As if he would let me do that before putting a sub up! Silly me.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:25 AM   #2073
Heather
Naga's Voice

He got waaaaaaaaaaaaay too lucky. he evaded like 3 will-o-wisps in a row, with a 15% chance to dodge ONE alone, and he dodged like 3 straight with avalugg. And then they stuck you with omastar and him with a mega pseudo-legend.

Quote:
Old 05-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #2074
Talon87
時の彼方へ

My second Doubles Random win where the score is better than 2-0.

I failed to save the first one, which happened last night. Pretty much every other Doubles Random match in between has been close, but this one -- despite the overwhelming odds against me early on with an incredibly fast yet non-choice locked Kyogre -- ended up managing to be a 4-0 victory.

Still not crazy about Doubles. This is a fun little distraction from the usual circuits, but other than VGC having the allure of being "official" I can't say I'm too won over yet. (And yes: I realize that Doubles =/= VGC. You know what I'm saying.)
Old 05-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #2075
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

An attempt at Gen VI LC.

So I decided that I wanted to give LC a shot. I always thought it was a pretty fun meta since it has a lot of viable supporting 'mon that revolve around a handful (like 8-10) of solid cores. It's so much more diverse than OU without being the awkward patchworks that the banlist metas are. It's also a much faster-paced meta than the big boy battles since HPs are much, much lower and random damage calcs have a much smaller impact on the game, meaning KOs are scored faster and easier.

I threw together this team without much knowledge of the meta, figuring I'd just put together something and test 'mon through trial by fire.

I had two battles before this, but neither were too exciting - one was against a guy with only half a team and the other was an unimpressive loss. This one, however, I think was at least a good demonstration of the potency of a number of LC 'mon and a surprising comeback by yours truly.

Some definitive MVPs:
On my opponent's side, lead Skill Link Aipom. I tried to do a Glameow set that works sorta like that, but now realize that Aipom totally outclasses her with an impressive show of both offense and KO utility. I might have to steal the set, since I'm still struggling to figure out what my lead should be. Aipom managed to take out or seriously hurt most of my team and scored the most KOs, but once I took care of him his team mostly fell apart, except for...

His Support-y Offensive Geodude. Though I really don't think hazards are superduper useful in LC (at least not in the way they are in OU), this Geodude set puts a lot of pressure on my team. Sturdy especially is a major help, considering it allows you to get off at least one attack to scare your foe or cripple certain offensive threats.

On my side, I think there were three members that really shined. The first one is Foongus. Foongus is a pretty popular support 'mon since he has Spore, Regenerator and some pretty serious bulk, which makes for a long-living support pivot that can scare away threats and deal a good bit of damage on the switch. The second is Honedge, a pretty popular bulky offensive threat that plays a lot of roles similar to those of its big brother Aegislash, but in a much more conventional way. Eating moves like Fake Out and striking on the switch with Shadow Sneak make him a pretty solid late-game sweeper or switch pressure. The last one is Slowpoke, who has a lot of traits similar to those of Foongus, but deals a little more on offense than bulky support. Abra also gets an honorary mention for being a crazy effective offensive pivot.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON