UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 07-24-2016, 07:36 PM   #1
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Robot Wars 2016

ITS BACK FOR 2016 AND ITS BRILLIANT

This is a bigger nostalgia trip than Pokemon Go for me. This was my favourite show as a kid, and watching it again all those emotions came rushing back. Also I'm really liking how they're investing time into the roboteers backgrounds, and giving us more of a look at the teams reactions to things. Makes it feel just a little more personal. I'm also liking the new format and it's quite funny to see robots come into the next round with insane damage.

So since I'm a big boy now, I'm probably going to get quite analytical about it after I've seen the episode, and offer some insight rather than just 'YEAH KILL HIM YEAH'.

So anyway, here's how I think the tournament will go down in a brief summary of things:

*Spoilers for Episode 1
Spoiler: show
Heat A: RAZER WTF

Suprised, but also not-suprised Razer went out so early. That first round was a really bad matchup for it; 1 robot with a frame, 1 robot with a unique shape, and 1 robot with ridiculously strong armor.

We've already seen Carbide go through so not much to say here. Looks like a strong contender in terms of raw damage but lack of experience will be the real killer. The loss to Terrorhurtz just goes to show that a Spinning Bar bot will always be bested by brute force shoving tactics and I think it'll suffer against robots like Storm 2.

Also, Nuts was the funniest thing I've seen on the show since Diotoir. I'm so happy they survived Terrorhurtz to put Behemoth through to the final. Behemoth will be a strong contender for Wildcard if they get it, although I'm not sure how Wildcard works.

Heat B: Now TAN or Thor would be the experienced favourites here, but I like the look of Foxic and Shockwave. I can definitely see TAN falling prey to DisConstructor in the first round, depending on whether Shockwave can flip it on its side or not. Round 2 I see Foxic going through on sheer design; it's fast, powerful, invertable and tough, but again experience is a factor.

Heat C: Dantomkia to win. No questions asked. 2 time semi-finalist, record holder for most OOTA wins. I mean Razer going out in Heat A was a suprising upset but you can always rely on a flipper bot if you want to do reasonably well in the competition.

Big Nipper was really impressive in season 7 despite only making it to the heat finals so keep an eye out for it. I really like King B but I can't see it getting further than the second round. So I'm expecting Dantomkia, Big Nipper, Supernova and King B/TR2 to make round 2, and I expect Big Nipper and Dantomkia in the final.

Heat D: Storm 2 is the best robot in the tournament. Should've won last year but got cheated by the producers cause it was 'too boring'. So anyway, Storm 2 wins this bout no questions asked unless they've gotten really rusty.

Other than that, idk. Apollo looks okay.

Storm 2 is love. Storm 2 is life.

Heat E: Thermidor should win. That being said, there are a lot of spinners in this heat. Lots of exposed wheeks from non-spinners bar Chompalot. Ironside looks scary but easy to exploit for a flipper.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:53 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Um, are there any rule changes?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:11 PM   #3
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Um, are there any rule changes?
Not as far as I know. It doesn't have some of the bonkers stuff like the Buoy drop from Series 7, and only 4 of the original House Robots.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:20 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
It's rather weird that, after a decade+ off the air, Robot Wars would return with the gladiator staples and no rule changes.

Granted, I was barely interested in Robot Wars versus Battlebots, but we live in an era where civilian, LTE-controlled drones exist, capable of shooting lasers and jamming communications, among other things. Robot combat always had an air of futurism to me, but without allowing such things it seems almost anachronistic in this day and age.

Not that I'm saying we should have drones with guns v. wheeled robots, but drones don't exactly have an obvious way of doing damage elsewise. It would be a fair concession, allowing them.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:00 AM   #5
Lunar Delta
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Lunar Delta
Robot Wars

I used to watch this all the time. Hypnodisc 4 Life.
Lunar Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:41 PM   #6
Mercutio
Banned

It was unashamedly nerdy. I think the pacing was a little off at times but generally it's a good revival.

Behemoth for life ;;
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:04 PM   #7
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

You all know it but refuse to admit it (Just like the producers *wink wink*)

Storm 2 for life.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:22 PM   #8
Mercutio
Banned

BOOOOOOOOOO

Coming out of the groups I wanted Thor or Shockwave to win butin the knockouts Thor was awesome! So to have it go out so quickly in the final was sad.

Fair play to Foxic for hitting on Angela Scanlon on national television despite being rubbish at Robot Wars.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #9
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
BOOOOOOOOOO

Coming out of the groups I wanted Thor or Shockwave to win but in the knockouts Thor was awesome! So to have it go out so quickly in the final was sad.

Fair play to Foxic for hitting on Angela Scanlon on national television despite being rubbish at Robot Wars.
I like the boxbots in general so I'm happy Shockwave won. Think it probably could've won against Thor in the group stage as well if they didn't use that ridiculous bucket thing. But Thor was super entertaining to watch regardless, amazing driver.

I watched it in my living room and as it finished I came out into the conservatory and I'm greeted with 'WELL I'M GLAD FOXIC DIDN'T GO THROUGH, THAT BLOKE WAS A RIGHT ARSEHOLE'.

Turns out my Mum was watching it. Not sure what to think about that but it was hilarious anyway.

NEXT SUNDAY DANTOMKIA HYPE
Old 08-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #10
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Foxic team were cunts and I wanted them to lose v badly

Robot Wars is about sportmanship god damn it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #11
Samayouru
Pokemon Trainer

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH SNAP ROBOT WARS IS BACK!?!?

WHY WASN'T I INFORMED SOONER?!?

*ahem* With that out of the way, I was a huge fan of the show - it came out when I was just a little girl so seeing it make a return makes me super happy! I actually live near the city of the only robot to win the championship title twice in a row, Chaos 2. I loved that mobile printing machine with all of my heart!

Looking forward to watching episode one - will report back later once I've had a look.
Samayouru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:40 AM   #12
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Gravity vs Lightning

This battle doesn't really mean anything cause it's the first Lightning battle I found. But the lightning team were actually very local to me. Infact their daughter went to my old primary school and we met them a few times. Also, in our school fairs, they used to bring a couple of old beaten up test robots for two of us to have a go on at a time, it was great fun.

Always rooted for Lightning but they never made it past the heats if I remember correctly.

Ahh Nostalgia
Old 08-07-2016, 04:23 PM   #13
Mercutio
Banned

Meh this one was ok.

Lots of flipping of things and skillful driving. In the end one or two dull battles but it was a good show.

The wooden robot's performance was... good job.

Last edited by Mercutio; 08-07-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:02 PM   #14
Samayouru
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Meh this one was ok.

Lots of flipping of things and skillful driving. In the end one or two dull battles but it was a good show.

The wooden robot's performance was... good job.
That was just... beautiful. I feel really bad for the guys who built it, though. I don't think they had any idea of the standards expected from a good robot.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #15
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

I was reading up on this beforehand, and it turns out TR2 is the reigning Fighting Robots UK champion. So I guess it's no wonder they won, although they were lucky in the first round without their flipper.

Anyway I thought this was a much better show than last weeks. There were no upsets in the first round so all of the 'best' robots ended up going through, which was nice to see. Shame there's not more places in the finals really, I would've liked to see Dantomkia in it. TR2 is pretty menacing though, although the flipper seems a bit underwhelming really.

Overdozer was brilliantly bad. Don't think there's any other way to describe it. But hey, at least it didn't set fire right?... Nah I would've loved to see that.

Keep an eye out for Eruption next week. Super expensive robot, 2013 & 2014 FRUK champions. Rooting for Storm 2 but Eruption definitely looks menacing.

Last edited by Midgeorge; 08-12-2016 at 05:44 AM.
Midgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:05 AM   #16
Mercutio
Banned

It's weird they aren't really mentioning history of teams in between the two TV shows much.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:49 AM   #17
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Quote:
It's weird they aren't really mentioning history of teams in between the two TV shows much.
I suppose because it was a different organisation running the show outside of the TV show.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:53 AM   #18
Samayouru
Pokemon Trainer

Finally caught up with the other episodes. Was absolutely heartbroken that Razer isn't coming back! But still, it was a good nostalgia trip for me, a short one, but a good one nonetheless.

Now... I was actually rooting for Thor, but I was equally impressed by Shockwave's performance - highly enjoyable!

As for Foxic... oh my god I have never been so happy to see someone get dropped out of the competition. That robot was absolute garbage!

And hats off to the female announcer for attempting to call the leader out on his arrogance. So glad he's an exception rather than a rule in Robot Wars.

Last edited by Samayouru; 08-12-2016 at 04:57 AM.
Samayouru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #19
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Can you spoiler the spoilery bits in your posts? Just in case some people (like yourself until you watched them yourself) haven't seen it yet and don't want to know what happens.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:59 AM   #20
Samayouru
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgeorge View Post
Can you spoiler the spoilery bits in your posts? Just in case some people (like yourself until you watched them yourself) haven't seen it yet and don't want to know what happens.
No problem! I've gone ahead and done that!

Okay - as it turns out Team Foxic might've been victim to Executive manipulation. According to other roboteers, the team were actually nice and jokey, but editing made them out to be a lot more arrogant.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:10 AM   #21
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Caught up on Sunday's episode.

TR2 very impressive, particular the young driver. Kid's 15 and pulled off some great shit. Well done. Amazed King B got the shit kicked out of them so hard considering their experience, but hey ho, that's the way it goes.

Really enjoyed this one.
Quote:
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:10 AM   #22
Samayouru
Pokemon Trainer

Quote:
Caught up on Sunday's episode.

TR2 very impressive, particular the young driver. Kid's 15 and pulled off some great shit. Well done. Amazed King B got the shit kicked out of them so hard considering their experience, but hey ho, that's the way it goes.

Really enjoyed this one.
TR2 was very impressive indeed, I was rooting for that team all the way! I hope they at least get to the finals - that kid's really talented!

I am actually thinking of getting into making battle robots myself. Too bad I don't have the technical skills to actually go beyond putting designs down on paper. :/
Old 08-15-2016, 07:06 AM   #23
Connor
Flashbacker

Storm 2 is an expensive robot sure but fuck me they were awfully boring. Their 'good' match against Apollo in the head to heads was only good because Apollo were so aggressive. Glad they went out because in terms of entertainment value Apollo trumped them entirely.

Flipping the house robots was fucking gold.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:44 AM   #24
Samayouru
Pokemon Trainer

Whew, this was definitely one of the funnest episodes so far! Definitely better than last week's!

I'll start off by saying that I was extremely disappointed in Storm 2 - he's a local bot where I live (in fact he's from the same city as Chaos 2, believe it or not!) so I was rooting for him. Too bad the team controlling him did very little to attack their opponents - I guess it goes to show that having an expensive, elaborate robot doesn't mean you'll be successful on the battlefield!

Now, the best bit about this heat without a doubt was Apollo. I wasn't too impressed by his performance in the early rounds. To me he was just another flipping robot. But then he started going after the House Robots and that was truly an epic moment (also I thought that the person controlling Matilda did a good job of making it look like she was genuinely concerned for Dead Metal after he got flipped over). I'm going to be rooting for Apollo in the semifinals - I hope this won't be the last time we see him flip the House Robots!
Old 08-15-2016, 08:59 AM   #25
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

That was definitely the most entertaining episode for me.

I feel like if Storm 2 had managed to pit Apollo then it'd be them and Eruption in the final though. It was super close at that point, and I'm not sure why the judges actually gave the vote to Apollo but I think Storm 2 should've had it. Either way, well played from Apollo.

Thing about Storm 2 this time is they looked pretty unimpressive compared to their Series 7 run to the finals. They seemed sluggish, almost like they sacrificed their speed for technicality, although it might simply be because the arena is much smaller than before. They didn't get a chance to use their spinning blade either, which I really wanted to see. I'm hoping they come back as a wildcard because I really want to see them win after they got cheated out of the grand final win in 2004.

Gutted to see Eruption go out as well. PP3D was simply a really bad matchup for them, since they kept springboarding off of them. Same goes for Storm 2 since their ground clearance is so low. Again, if Apollo had been pitted then it would've been Eruption and Storm 2 in the final.

Anyway, I think all 3 deserved a spot in the grand final but sadly Eruption won't be able to take part.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment