UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 08-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
AK2
Boulder Badge

Send a message via AIM to AK2 Send a message via Skype™ to AK2
Book of Mormon: The Musical

I need to shower and hit the sack, so I will go into detail in the next few days if ya'll wanna discuss it. But let's start with:

Anyone here seen it or heard the soundtrack?

I have heard it, and would like to congratulate Stone and Parker on another excellent peice of comedy (with some genuinely very good singing and music in it too!)
AK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I heard that this was completely amazing but did not get to see it. Then again Stone & Parker never really fail to deliver. Usually. >.>

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I haven't seen it. I've heard parts of the soundtrack. An Avenue Q-type sketch is normally quite my thing, but this time I was already content with their South Park episode and didn't really need the whole Broadway exploration. But several friends of mine irl are crazy in love with this production. One guy was tweeting the album hosted on NPR for like a solid week. lol
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
AK2
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
I heard that this was completely amazing but did not get to see it. Then again Stone & Parker never really fail to deliver. Usually. >.>

Yeah, dude, BASEketball being the exception. I think they are wanting to sweep that one under the rug....
Old 08-23-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

If I recall correctly, they didn't actually write BASEketball, they just had the misfortune of starring in it.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I've never even heard of BASEketball before. From your guys' comments, I'm guessing that's how they'd want it.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
AK2
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
If I recall correctly, they didn't actually write BASEketball, they just had the misfortune of starring in it.
I think the saving grace in that was Jenny Mccarthy.

Or just her looks.

Yeah, the second option.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:39 AM   #8
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I've never even heard of BASEketball before. From your guys' comments, I'm guessing that's how they'd want it.
It has a few amusing moments, there's one scene (that I don't mind spoiling because you seriously shouldn't watch the film) where Matt is driving and thinking about the hard situation that he's in and the song on the radio sings about the situation (a norm in movies) but it does it with such specificity that it ends up freaking Matt out.

Other than that, the entire film is pretty much a write off, not funny, not clever- just a cash in when "The makers of South Park in-" was enough to make people think it was a good idea.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:43 AM   #9
deoxys
Fog Badge

Haven't seen it yet, but after seeing this, I totally want to.

BORKED

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:49 AM   #10
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Haven't seen it, but I'm familiar with their Mormon comedy from the SP episodes that covered it. I'm pretty reticent toward watching it because I'm not a Matt and Trey fan - I don't care for their political views or who they are. I don't see them as role models like so many other young folk see them, Colbert and Stewart. A lot of what they've written recently is too much "Matt and Trey" and not enough "Matt and Trey creativity". I would much rather see the latter.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:56 AM   #11
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Haven't seen it, but I'm familiar with their Mormon comedy from the SP episodes that covered it. I'm pretty reticent toward watching it because I'm not a Matt and Trey fan - I don't care for their political views or who they are. I don't see them as role models like so many other young folk see them, Colbert and Stewart. A lot of what they've written recently is too much "Matt and Trey" and not enough "Matt and Trey creativity". I would much rather see the latter.

I didn't think many people considered Matt and Trey to be role models, to be honest... Colbert and Stewart, though, their charm is that, while they're indeed comedians, Stewart and occasionally Colbert will at least call out someone or an organization on their bullshit (see: Jim Cramer) and just obliterate them. And it's great. Because no one ever does that anymore, and it makes them respectable.

I completely agree with everything else though. I enjoy South Park (although this past season has been shit, which is ironic, given the events of the last episode), but I feel... ehhhh... towards Matt and Trey in general.

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Last edited by deoxys; 08-24-2011 at 01:59 AM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:18 AM   #12
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
When I was tutoring last semester, I met a man who wrote a speech that he presented before an open mic session that took a bunch of ideas from Colbert's script. I don't remember the details, but it was on the level of shooting suspected Arabs on spot for hiding illegal immigrants in their turbans or something, some obvious parody of the Arizona profiling law.

The guy told me he was angry the audience got mad at him and couldn't see he was "obviously joking". What distressed me was he was so enchanted by Colbert as a leader of sorts, he'd lost so much common sense that he didn't realize endorsing blind violence to counter racial profiling is retarded.

Did I mention this man is 45, and married? (also morbidly fat)

More and more online, I see people are confusing Colbert and Stewart's reputations outside of their show with the parody characters they portray, something both comedians feared might happen. Too often, people miss that the point of the shows is to laugh and insinuate some disguised message in the show just for them. They're not so dumb as to take the show literally, but in a world where almost all political ideologies are marginalized by the media, they look for these phantom messages as signs of support for their own personal causes.

Really, it's not much different than something Talon mentioned years ago - many people buy into religion for its irrational comfort value, not because of their practical spirituality or moral compass.

Aside from recent SP outright sucking, I stopped watching it because the fans started to suck up to Matt and Trey, which lead to an almost narcissistic increase in their personal attitudes in the episodes. Worst of all, it's not funny...it's just preaching.

Go back to 2003, guys.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 08-24-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:03 AM   #13
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I still like South Park. The newest season was pretty good. Every season always has a few bad episodes.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment