UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 08-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #151
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

I've been trying to beef up my two Ice types to be able to join my Glaceon for the final battle, and I was able to get a second Eevee. I know it's recommended not to grind in the main story, but I don't want to rely on the same 4 other warriors/warlords (Oichi is only useful for her healing since I haven't gotten the travelling salesman yet) for every battle.
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #152
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Thanks for clearing that up an preventing me from wasting moneys! I ended up not deciding on an Eevee evolution an stuck with it until it evolved outta the blue after capturing the ice country! Oh an I noticed the completed world map is shaped like an Arceus holy crap o_o!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolteonjak View Post
I've been trying to beef up my two Ice types to be able to join my Glaceon for the final battle, and I was able to get a second Eevee. I know it's recommended not to grind in the main story, but I don't want to rely on the same 4 other warriors/warlords (Oichi is only useful for her healing since I haven't gotten the travelling salesman yet) for every battle.
Lucky! For Ice types alls I got is my newly evolved Glaceon! I'ma have to go in with pure muscle unless I bother to try and find and raise a couple ice pkmn!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #153
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

I've had Sessai almost since the beginning. She's Ice/Bug (her perfect link is Larvesta, however), but her damn Spheal won't evolve. Her max link is like 70%, so that's not the issue.

I have the dude whose perfect link is Cubchoo. I have the Froslass warlord, but no Dawn Stone. I was going to allow her to have a Glalie for the last battle.

My damn dragons (mostly Deino) won't evolve either, and their links aren't maxed either.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #154
Schala
Savior of Pokemon-kind

I only had Glaceon and Froslass (and the latter died before she even got an attack off) for the battle. I didn't have any other Ice or Dragon types; I just brought my strongest Pokemon. Yoshihiro's fully evolved Conkeldurr tore through several enemies before it was taken out, and Gyarados was surprisingly useful, as long as I kept it away from a certain Pokemon that could one-shot it. Glaceon also took several Pokemon out, of course.

@jolteonjak- Spheal, and a large number of other Pokemon, evolve when certain stats get high enough. Spheal has to have 138 HP to evolve. Higher link does help, of course, as it translates to higher stats, but increasing the Pokemon's energy at the Ponigiri Shop (to max, preferably) gives your stats a slight boost as well.
Schala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #155
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Wheeee! I went in with just Glaceon and the rest of my mishmash team (Wigglytuff, Emboar, Gyarados, Empoleon, Scrafty) and won! Then beat the final battle on my second attempt! This marks the first time I beat an srpg without cheating. I um, I still kinda did things wrong like overlooking links until just before the end (why aren't these warriors pkmn gaining even alil exp... oh) and also taking over 19 hours to beat it when I've heard it can be done much faster. I never did learn what deligating stuff did cause none of my places ever leveled up. The game was really fun for the most part! But now there's tons of post-game stories and thats where the real difficulty will come from isn't it? I dunno about doing those!
Old 08-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #156
Schala
Savior of Pokemon-kind

Congrats, Lindz! As for the post game, that's where most of the content is. Each episode has a certain difficulty, so I would suggest starting with the available one or two star episodes and see how they go. I know there's a one star difficulty episode that is short (only four kingdoms) available from the start, so that might be a good starting point. Most of them aren't too difficult, and there's hours of content if you decide to do the post game. Give it a shot.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #157
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schala View Post
Congrats, Lindz! As for the post game, that's where most of the content is. Each episode has a certain difficulty, so I would suggest starting with the available one or two star episodes and see how they go. I know there's a one star difficulty episode that is short (only four kingdoms) available from the start, so that might be a good starting point. Most of them aren't too difficult, and there's hours of content if you decide to do the post game. Give it a shot.
I've done a few of the 1*/2* ones now and still hanging in there alil longer before I set it aside to focus on other games! When I saw there would be 4 pages of these things I was like x_x Thats alotta extras. Its nice to finally be able to level up places but in these shorter campaigns its pointless to even try! Whats the benefit of doing all these anyway? Do ya ever unlock the full open land again with your character and everything ripe for the picking in the search to fill out the gallery or what?
Old 08-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #158
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

I had something strange happen the other night. I was doing the second of the three-part campaign, and one of my warriors decided to go off on his own little journey. Has that happened to anyone before? As a test, I saved and advanced the month to see if he'd come back, but he hasn't yet. I hope he comes back soon. I could really use his Beldum in my final battle.

Oh, and yes, the two campaigns I've done so far have been real short. It's a good thing the three Warlords can evolve outside of their own stories.

Think I'll try Oichi's story in Spectra next now that I was finally able to get my hands on a Moon Stone. Anyone do that one yet?
Old 08-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #159
Schala
Savior of Pokemon-kind

@Lindz- If you beat all of them (or at least all of the main warlord episodes), you unlock an episode staring the Hero where you unify the land, so yes, I believe that's basically a harder version of the Main Game where you can wrap things up at your leisure. I haven't gotten there yet though, so I'm not entirely sure what it entails.

@jolteonjak- I've never had that happen before, but from the little I can find about it, they come back with a new Pokemon eventually. I'm not sure how long it takes (it's probably random, honestly), so if you really need him, just wait a few months, I suppose. I haven't done Oichi's yet. I've honestly been preoccupied with finishing another game and packing for college. I'ill probably start a long episode next, but I'm not sure which yet.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:13 AM   #160
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Did it in Japanese ... or maybe I was in the middle of doing it when I put the game down last? Don't remember.

I've had the going-on-a-journey guy vanish before. Mine was a Grovyle trainer who left iirc to make his Grovyle better. I'm pretty sure he came back eventually but I don't remember how many turns it took him. Might've been over twelve, I'm not certain.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #161
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Think I'll try Oichi's story in Spectra next now that I was finally able to get my hands on a Moon Stone. Anyone do that one yet?

So that was a bit off. It's Okuni's story, a 4-star difficulty mission where I have to unite the whole land; and I start in Ignis. Put that one aside for now.

I finished all 3 of the "starter" missions (the 3-way argument from each warlord's point of view). Now I'm on Ginchiyo's mission. I'm having a blast with it. I really enjoy being able to level up places to get the rarer Pokemon (Pikachu, Scyther, Blitzle, Larvesta (!)) I'm filling more and more perfect links, really grinding now.

I just bought my second Guardian Charm, although I'm a little unsure of how effective they just are. I've heard of people leveling things up like crazy with these. I used it in a battle between a Sneasel and 2 or 3 Psychic types. I got just over 1%, and the link was in the 20's. The max link is much higher, so that's not the issue. Anyone else have any experience with them?
Old 11-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #162
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Bit of a necro, but I found this for anyone who is having difficulty finding that one Perfect Link. Which is me. Also, in other news, I'm too lazy to go searching for Perfect Links and rely on the Internet to find them for me instead. :P Stay tuned.

If you want to preserve the spirit of the thing (which I totally understand because I have gone without spoilers for several games), don't click on the link or you'll learn all the things you wish you hadn't!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #163
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Double post BECAUSE I CAN.

Here is a link to all of the evolutions of the Pokemon. It seems that they're mostly stat-based, with a few others mixed in. But since stats are determined mostly from Link...I don't see this mattering much.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #164
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Double post BECAUSE I CAN.

Here is a link to all of the evolutions of the Pokemon. It seems that they're mostly stat-based, with a few others mixed in. But since stats are determined mostly from Link...I don't see this mattering much.

This is perfect! SPP's is way too bulky with the larger art.

While I'm here, can anyone recommend a quest or two that allows for some grinding please? I have only "evolved" Oichi (and the hero, but that's mandatory) so far.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #165
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:

While I'm here, can anyone recommend a quest or two that allows for some grinding please? I have only "evolved" Oichi (and the hero, but that's mandatory) so far.
Many quests "allow" for it. I'm not sure which ones you'd consider ideal, but I did most of my grinding the moment I could with Hideyoshi's, and while I did end up getting some 20+ characters to bushou evolve, there were a couple that I couldn't because you have to do their special missions first. I remember Akechi Mitsuhide was one of them, and I believe Takeda Shingen and Uesugi Kenshin were two others. If you rummage through this thread, I'm sure you'll find my post where I mention who all I got to evolve. (Actually, I think I may have just found it for you: click here.) Anyway, the point here was, Hideyoshi's is doable but not advisable straight out of the gate. My advice would be to go and beat many of the other missions first (including Mitsuhide's, Kenshin's, and Shingen's) before you worry yourself with grinding up in Hideyoshi's. That stated, once you have done those other guys' stages (and possibly even gotten them to bushou evolve on their own), then I think Hideyoshi's is a great stage because of its length, expanse, all of the recruitable characters, and the fact that it follows the same general expansion path as the "main story" mission does: start from the southwest and work your way north, then east, then east again, then north again, and then north again, winding up in the northeast corner of the map.

For grinding, my advice is to box Nobunaga in to the Dragon-type castle town by conquering the surrounding trio of Ghost, Steel, and Ice, ... but to then deliberately leave one of these towns pretty vacant. Not entirely vacant -- force him to launch a serious attack -- but vacant enough that he will dare to attack it. He'll usually split his army up, and that way you can push the invaders back in a revenge-battle without worrying about accidentally beating the game. I think I give much more detailed advice on how to do this around where I linked you in that post (there or earlier), so look for it if you like. I know it's a lot to read through, but I was pretty exhaustive in trying to help people maximize their experiences with the game.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #166
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Thank you Talon. I'll give it a try.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #167
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Why Pokemon Conquest why

I worked so hard for my Glaceon and I became so invested in my headcanon couples that they HAD TO TRAVEL BETWEEN KINGDOMS IN PAIRS.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #168
deoxys
Fog Badge

The game actually does that?

WHAT
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #169
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
The game actually does that?

WHAT
When you open the game out of its shrink wrap and plastic case and pop it into your DS, brand new, there is a story that you complete first. Being long-time Pokémon fans, we all referred to this as "Story Mode," but that's a bit of an erroneous label. Really, it's just the first of over thirty stories. But because it's the first story you experience, and because it's the story where you play as the nameless hero (in nearly all of the stories which follow you choose to play as one of the other NPC warlords), the "Story Mode" label stuck. Anyway. When you're nearing the completion of this first mission, there isn't much left to do. The game's fun is centered around advancement. Advancement of troops, acquisition of territory, so on and so forth. Well, by the end of the first mission, you've done all that, so really, there's nothing left to do but to beat the game. (To draw a comparison with Pokémon, compare it with the original Red or Blue games and place yourself in the position of the player who has already beaten every single trainer there is except for the Elite Four, gotten every single hidden item you can access, etc. There's nothing left for you to do except take on the Elite Four. I mean, that's what your entire game has been building towards, right!?) So you go to beat the game. And you do. And then you're told, by the game, that:
  • there are a bunch of new missions waiting for you
  • but if you want to access them, then you need to overwrite your save file right now
  • WARNING: once you do, you'll never see the first story ("Story Mode") again
As you might expect, it made most of us very angsty. It'd be like if Red and Blue told you, "once you beat the Elite Four, we'd like to open the door to some new stories for you. Like the story of the trainer who starts off from Saffron City. Or like the story of the girl who aspires to become Fuchsia City's next gym leader. And you can play these stories again and again and again if you like! But. But. We're going to temporarily take away your Story Mode starter. And you're never again going to be able to challenge the Elite Four. That was just a one-time thing. So if you want to challenge them again ... don't save? But if you're a MAN , go ahead and save and SAY GOOD-BYE TO YOUR PRECIOUS STARTER!"

The thing is, we didn't really appreciate how Pokémon Conquest was set up. ^^; It was very, very erroneous of both fans and the game developers to style the game as a "Story Mode" followed by a "post-Story Mode set of extras". Which is totally how it's set up in the menu and shit. But like, no. No, no, no. ^^; What fans called "Story Mode" is really just 1/32nd of Story Mode. "Story Mode" in its truest sense for Pokémon Conquest is indeed all of these missions. If you were to put Pokémon Conquest down after beating only the first story, you'd have only witnessed the first thirty-second or so of the game's content. Furthermore, ...

Spoiler: show
... once you beat all of the other missions, a new mission unlocks where you encounter the other hero (there were two genders) and regain control of the original hero + your original starter.

So why is the comic funny or relevant? Because everyone who ever plays the game can relate to it. Everyone who's ever played it has felt a knot in their stomach when that message of Oichi's came up and felt like something truly terrible just happened. Just look back through this thread to find all the people, self included, who were concerned about this.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #170
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:

As it turns out, almost EVERYTHING serebii tries to tell you is wrong. There is so much erroneous data, I exploded and went searching through the corners of the Internet to find stuff that was right.

Pretty sure serebii didn't lift anything from the game itself, but instead tried to pull several things from memory or something. Some pokemon also don't have information stored.

Gyarados is a beast. I have been following Talon's advice because I don't have any desire to play through 30 more chapters of almost exactly the same thing. It flies, it swims, it knocks people back, and it hits friggin' DIAGONALLY. So many perfect plays - Gyarados just kicks people around so they get eaten by luxray thunders. Those attacks aren't great on their own, but...I ship sailor man and electric queen. Hard. They travel together.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #171
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Fun fact: Veekun has a pretty comprehensive in-progress Conquest 'dex that you should check out.

It's comprehensive in that it gives a lot of good dump data on Pokémon/Warlords (including evo methods and link percentages), though it does lack some information on abilities and some other more minor details.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #172
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Fun fact: Veekun has a pretty comprehensive in-progress Conquest 'dex that you should check out.

It's comprehensive in that it gives a lot of good dump data on Pokémon/Warlords (including evo methods and link percentages), though it does lack some information on abilities and some other more minor details.
What I like about Veekun is the link percentages for every Pokemon with every warrior/warlord, not just their perfect links. Very handy. As for the ability information, I just figured they haven't finished the section yet.

Progress on Hideyoshi's mission, I finally got a Zorua! I'm missing one person from being able to use the Anorith code. =\
Old 07-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #173
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I found the Veekun dex and it is excellent and helpful.

I beat Story. I found it a little upsetting that "Omnipotent" healed me to full every turn. If that is what the game turns into when I'm done with it, I'm just going to take my time >_> no rabid clear everything for me!

I discovered in Nixstorm that having Rhyperior and Luxray on the same team is bad on a field where positioning is next to impossible. I discovered in Dragnor that Lightningrod is a wonderful ability to boost Rock Wrecker to OHKO the other three members of the team (you know, the ones not OHKO'd by Icy Wind).

The ending was fun and I have been promised a team full of eeveelutions plus arceus.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #174
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Link grinding is simple and easy. Instead of just grinding on the local populations (which give less link), "trap" an enemy Warlord in Aurora by leading him through strings of empty kingdoms and taking up the slack. Try to use a weaker Warlord instead of, say, Mitsuhide because the AI for the "early" kindgoms trains for less link. My Warlord (who I was amused to see was a part of Ieyasu's mission) trains for crappy link, but Nobunaga's Chomp was at like 700 power by the end of the story mode.

Then, when you have them in Aurora, vacate the neighboring kingdoms. The enemy Warlord will rise to the bait, attempt to take the kingdom, and you take it back for lots of link.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #175
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Link grinding is simple and easy. Instead of just grinding on the local populations (which give less link), "trap" an enemy Warlord in Aurora by leading him through strings of empty kingdoms and taking up the slack. Try to use a weaker Warlord instead of, say, Mitsuhide because the AI for the "early" kindgoms trains for less link. My Warlord (who I was amused to see was a part of Ieyasu's mission) trains for crappy link, but Nobunaga's Chomp was at like 700 power by the end of the story mode.

Then, when you have them in Aurora, vacate the neighboring kingdoms. The enemy Warlord will rise to the bait, attempt to take the kingdom, and you take it back for lots of link.
I pretty much explained this exact strategy (minus the "play as a weakling" bit) a year ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
One thing before I forget: if you want a really good way to grind ...

(spoiler boxed because long)
Spoiler: show
I would recommend beating every single castle town on the map except one. (In my case, I had to settle for Nobunaga, which was kind of a bitch because of how overpowered his Gabite and Mori Ranmaru's Dragonair are, as well as Ranmaru's bushou ability that heals everybody for like 100 HP. But he also awarded great experience linkage points, so his difficulty may have something to do with that.) What happens when you do that is, the enemy keeps invading one of your towns that is directly adjacent. At first, they do it once every three or four turns. Then it becomes once every two turns. And then it pretty much becomes once every 1.5 turns (i.e. sometimes there are two back-to-back and other times there's one, a one-turn respite, and then the next one). The A.I. seems to be programmed to just furiously assault you. But the funny thing is, because the warlord battles award much better linkage points than the random battles you do out in the field with scrub bushou, you can actually level up decently fast. On my Hideyoshi file pre-beating the game, I had/have ...
  • Hideyoshi at 66% with Infernape and bushou evolved
  • Motochika (the water guy) at 65+% with Dewott but still not bushou evolved =\ (FRUSTRATING! Serebii says they should evolve by 65% linkage! =\)
  • Ieyasu @ 63% with Aggron but not bushou evolved (probably close to it though)
  • Oichi at 45% and thus of course not bushou evolved
  • Nouhime at a surprisingly high 40-odd% courtesy of the tons of fights she's done alongside Ieyasu (surprising because you gain her so late in the game at around like 19% or so)
What would happen is, towards the end of my run, Nobunaga just kept invading the steel city over and over and over again. But the thing is, it's very easy to troll Nobunaga's team on that stage in the following ways and for the following reasons:
  1. Bring Ieyasu's Lairon/Aggron and Nouhime's Misdreavus.
  2. If you've beaten Nobunaga enough previously, he should only have three Pokemon that he brings on invasions: his Gabite, Ranmaru's Dragonair, and a random recruit's Starly/Staravia/Staraptor. (It evolved the more we fought. This was actually part of the reason for why I ended the game. Didn't want Nobunaga getting a Garchomp or Ranmaru getting a Dragonite. ^_^; )
  3. Because the A.I. is stupid and because the enemy is few in numbers, it's very easy on the steel stage to just keep avoiding them. Nouhime's Misdreavus is able to float between adjacent platforms with the greatest of ease but the enemy dragons cannot jump the gap. (The bird can, so you need to protect Misdreavus by having her run away until the bird has been taken out.)
  4. Because the enemy only knows Flying and Dragon-type attacks, the Steel/Rock Lairon/Aggron takes them like a champ. Mine was usually taking ~10 damage points from either Ranmaru's Dragon Tail or Nobunaga's Dragon Claw. Brave Bird from the Staraptor did similar damage.
  5. Because you're the defender, you automatically win if the match times out.
  6. So all you need to do is run away from the enemy constantly, flipping gate switches at strategic moments to fork the enemy over, deliberately getting caught by the camera-pulley security system when the enemy is closing in on you too fast, and so on. Misdreavus has an even easier time -- all she needs to do is juggle between platforms that have a gap separating them. The dragons won't be able to do a thing.
It's a bit tedious, but if you do this, expect to get 4 to 5% linkage on your bushou characters. It was winding down a bit towards the end for my Ieyasu (I think the last time I did it he only gained 0.67% linkage despite actually killing two of the three enemy Pokemon and thus ending the match before time was called), but Nouhime's Misdreavus was consistently gaining 5 percentage points every time. If I end up loading my Hideyoshi save file back up, I will probably take Oichi to that castle town, allow Nobunaga to attack a couple times more, and see if I can't get her to evolve.
And then I explained it again in brief in April of this year:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
For grinding, my advice is to box Nobunaga in to the Dragon-type castle town by conquering the surrounding trio of Ghost, Steel, and Ice, ... but to then deliberately leave one of these towns pretty vacant. Not entirely vacant -- force him to launch a serious attack -- but vacant enough that he will dare to attack it. He'll usually split his army up, and that way you can push the invaders back in a revenge-battle without worrying about accidentally beating the game. I think I give much more detailed advice on how to do this around where I linked you in that post (there or earlier), so look for it if you like. I know it's a lot to read through, but I was pretty exhaustive in trying to help people maximize their experiences with the game.
Also, as a note, I did end up continuing with that save file and bushou evolving like 75% of the cast.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON