UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 11-04-2012, 02:55 AM   #26
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Don't take my last two posts seriously. I was trying to voice the overall silliness of such a promotion. It's basically asking all of their players to just drop their lives for X hours to speed through and hope to be one of 25 lucky winners for rushing through what reviewers are claiming to be a good plot. In fact, it almost seems to counterintuative since they've devoted so much time making such a good story and now ask everyone to rush through it as quickly as possible in hopes of going to E3.

There was a similar review from some idiot at the Wall Street Journal on Borderlands 2. He compared the game to CoD and said the lack of gritty visuals, the lack of deathmatches/PvP, the overabundance of different weapons, the use of humor, and a plot that didn't involve America killing Nazis or Terrorist as bad points. Hell, he had to use Wikipedia to look up what happened in the first game and instead, didn't even understand that. It was pretty clear right off the bat he didn't know BL2 isn't another HALO or CoD but a Diablo-style FPS game.

Sometimes I'm horrified by people who consider themselves professional journalists.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #27
Loki

So as it turns out, one person on my XBL friend list is actually trying to get that E3 ticket. He started around midnight and has not stopped playing since.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #28
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
So as it turns out, one person on my XBL friend list is actually trying to get that E3 ticket. He started around midnight and has not stopped playing since.
^^;

Spoiler: show
It's Gr. XP
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #29
deoxys
Fog Badge

Yeah, FUCK that, Legendary is too fucking hard for that. Incredibly light spoilers below:

Spoiler: show
I'm only on Level 4 (which is the point I decided to go to bed) and the Promethean Knights are absolutely dreadful to fight. They take FOREVER to kill and quite frankly can be frightening.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #30
deoxys
Fog Badge

What the fuck. Fox News just posted this article: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/11/.../#ixzz2BT2szbl

Quote:
“There will always be that percentage who are too cool, too cynical, and too ignorant to be bothered. I would guess that's between 10 and 15 percent of the kids of voting age,” says Jon Peddie, a gaming analyst.
“The idiots who can't get a date and look at the women's breasts in the games will definitely find Halo 4 more interesting than something that requires thinking,” he said. But Peddie cautioned that most younger adults are likely to make the right choice.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #31
Loki

A bit curious how your experience with HALO 4 is going.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #32
deoxys
Fog Badge

Ah, forgot to post here, I posted it in the pickup's and play's thread (which you can read here), but I did beat the game on Legendary solo a few days ago. All of my thoughts on it are in that post. As for the rest...

Well, it's going well, I guess. I'm at level 41 now on multiplayer and have caught up in Spartan Ops -

I don't know if it's been long enough to formulate a proper opinion on it. I'm pretty conflicted... because it definitely does borrow heavily from the CoD multiplayer at a lot of points.

I'll TL;DR it for you - Halo 4 multiplayer is really fun, but it is painfully obvious Microsoft wanted to compete directly with Call of Duty, and the features used to do so are disappointing for some parts and acceptable at others. But, if you want to read it anyway, I'mma rant -

1 - Loadouts. You now can build your own weapon loadouts to choose when going into battle as opposed to Halo tradition of using whatever the map or gametype's default weapon is - so, you can enter with one of several basic assault or scope rifles and carry one of a few different pistols. You can also choose a grenade type and armor ability, such as the Jet Pack, Active Camo, Regen Field, Autosentry - etc. Then of course, there are perks, which I will touch on it a moment - but these all are ripped straight out of the CoD multiplayer book. Also as in CoD, you are given a limited amount of "points" to spend on different aspects of your loadout, and as you level up, you acquire more which allows you to use higher cost items. For instance, 4 of the armor abilities cost 3 points - so if you only have a limit of 6 points and you're already carrying a grenade type which costs 2 points, you can have those two things and one thing that costs 1 point, too. Otherwise you have to use the basic, costless weapons.

2 - Perks. As I mentioned... yeah. Halo 4 introduces 'Tactical Packages' and 'Support Upgrades' to choose form in your loadouts. The two basic costless Tactical Packages are Mobility and Firepower - which allow you to have unlimited sprinting and the ability to carry two primary weapons instead of one and a pistol. But since these are under the same category, you can only pick one to have. There are a few other types too - one which lets you pick up your dead opponent's grenades (yet another straight out of CoD - this is something you've been able to do since the first Halo game :/) etc. You get the picture... but then you can pick a second type of perk, a 'Support Upgrade'. The basic costless ones are dexterity and awareness, which allow you to reload faster and use a motion sensor while zoomed in a scope. And others too, but I don't think I need to go any further.

3 - Unlockables. Sure, armor is fine, but it feels like they tried to rip off CoD even more where you can unlock emblems and tags in CoD - well, almost every emblem for your tag is locked right from the start. You can't even use a basic circle for the background, it's absurd. Emblems and armor pieces, as well as other miscellaneous things, can be collected by either leveling up or completing commendations... which was - can you guess?- also taken from CoD! Yes, in CoD, they had a commendation system which earned you badges and emblems and gun and perk upgrades. Things like "Get XX headshots with a ___" or "Get the first strike in a slayer game XX times" or "Get XX plasma grenade sticks on a vehicle" etc etc.

4 - Ordinances. In the Slayer modes, and thankfully only in the Slayer modes (even though they do work decently there, I wouldn't want them in any other game type) - once you have accumulated a certain number of points, you can call in an ordinance. While Call of Duty has Killstreaks which do some pretty crazy things, from unleashing packs of wild dogs to letting you pilot a helicopter and shoot at the opponents below, or even dropping a fucking nuke and ending the game - Halo 4 has Ordinance Drops. Basically, once you hit the score goal, you are given the option to choose from one of two weapons or one special ability, and it appears right in front of you when you want it. But it's all random - sometimes it's a needler, speed boost to your sprint, or some plasma grenades, and sometimes it's a gravity hammer, an overshield, or a spartan laser, etc. So, no, thank god Halo 4 doesn't let you pilot a pelican from above while you drop heat seeking missiles and lay waste to helpless opponents for a good two minutes with a turret :P But this is... possibly a step towards that in future Halo games, and I hope I'm wrong.

I could go on. About the horrid, horrid lag. How 343 and Microsoft should have been better prepared for their servers to support two hundred thousand players at any given time. How when you get shot now while zoomed in on a scope, it doesn't zoom out, making snipers OP. The incredibly few game types there are and how 343 promises to release more in the coming weeks and months. How Forge mode and custom games mode look like they were rushed because they stripped away a lot of the freedoms with map and game making that Reach and Halo 3 offered (seriously, why would you EVER downgrade?). ETCETERA ETCETERA...

I'm sure you didn't want all of that, but that's about where I am now. I'm not trying to be the whiny, bitchy player who can't just be happy with what he's got - at the end of the day Halo 4 is still great and a lot of fun, even online - but there are just so many things that the either added or removed altogether that just boggles my mind as to why they made some of the decisions that they did.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Old 11-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #33
Loki

In the DLC, the new Ordinance Drop will be activating the HALO, ending the game. =p

I'm not surprised that HALO 4 has a multiplayer system similar to CoD. Almost everyone with a competitive shooter has adopted the system. If they made billions doing it, we'll do the same! They did the same with Gears of War's Horde mode except it was called it Firefight (and didn't do it as well).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games