UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 11-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

3DS price drop pt.2? (nope, just sales & fails)

Original thread: http://forums.upnetwork.net/showthread.php?t=3204

The regular 3DS'll be on sale for $130 at Target next week! Rumor is the week after all places will officially drop it to $140. Next week a XL bundle with Mario Kart 7 on the sd card is happening but no drop on that one for now. Now if only they'd detach themselves from the $40 game mark like Sony & most other 3rd parties eventually did.

$250 -> $170 -> $140 in under 2 years.

Wonder how this'll bode for their "new" console. Anyways $130 is an okay enough price for me so I may try my hand at getting one next week.

XL Bundle Sauce: https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/...38913695649793

Last edited by Lindz; 12-09-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
deoxys
Fog Badge

Oh hey Kuno you can pick up that 3DS you've been wanting now

Hell, I'll sell you mine for $90
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

That's almost at the price where I'd get a US one to be able to play region 1 games, plus then I'd be able to get a purple one.

Hmm.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Oh good maybe I can get a 2nd game for Christmas.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If it were $130 board wide, I'd say that this'd probably be the magic sweet spot for the next three years and that the only reason to hold off now would be purely for model-based reasons. (Though at this point it seems more likely for Nintendo to abandon the platform altogether after 1-2 more years of life invested into it and move on to a brand-new handheld that addresses some of the launch day complaints of the 3DS than for them to make a 3DS Lite.) $140 though ... it'll still probably stay put there for quite some time but I just can't shake the nagging feeling that we'll see it drop to $130 or even to $120 in less than two years' time.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:08 AM   #6
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
I'm kind of with Talon. For one thing, I don't have enough money (mostly because I'm super lazy) and another, I fear this may end up like my DS. I haven't touched it in like a year. I don't see myself paying even $130 for this, even though I'm already interested a few games coming out for it (mainly PW5).
Old 12-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

In related news: DS outsold 3DS over the Black Friday period.

Panicked Nintendo America branch puts outs a youtube video to teach people the difference between their handhelds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFcWvPc26fI

NOA: "3DS is NOT A DS!!" ffs people plz buy the new 1!!!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I am infinitely amused by their floundering.

And also a little saddened.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
deoxys
Fog Badge

Nintendo needs to learn that with new hardware comes a new hardware name, or at least an addition to the name that will make people sure it's a new system a la Xbox 360 or PS Vita - Wii U and 3D do NOT cut it.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

'tis a shame people don't realize that the 3DS isn't simply an altered DS, ala the DSXL.

Then again, they also tend to not realize the system has more new features than it's legendary 3Dness.

@deoxys: I considered tht for all of five seconds, then I realized how wrong it was. Gameboy, anyone? Besides, 'DS' stands for 'Dual Screen', so really they're just accurately labeling their products. Quite frankly, I want to know where the hell the other companies get their names from. And even then, those two still carry the 'Playstation' and 'Xbox' title, which are actually the name of the systems. WiiU is their attempt to be punny, I suppose. Admittedly a sad attempt, but I personally think it's better than sticking on '360' (and if the rumors of the sequal being named the '720' are true... I just have no words).
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.

Last edited by Kindrindra; 12-04-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #11
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=333686

Best Buy sales on standalone 3DS XL's next week for $160.

Aren't these the kind of deals that are usually supposed to hit on BF? Oops! Nintendo didn't learn from launch that premium pricing will only get 'em so far?
Old 12-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #12
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

This seems relevant somehow.

Quote:
Latest Call of Duty the best-selling game of last month in US; Xbox 360 sells 1.26 million systems; Nintendo DS only hardware to see year-over-year increase.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/npd-blac...vember-6401206
DS still rising to heaven. Its successor otoh... o.o
Old 12-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'm honestly quite surprised.

Personal situation:
My DS Lite is starting to give out (left shoulder trigger started going wonky around two years ago, and then there's that out-of-nowhere broken cartridge bay I mentioned a few months ago) but when it dies I would plan to replace it with a 3DS, not another DS Lite. Much as I may love my DS Lite, if the 3DS is backwards compatible and there are 3DS games I would like to have a chance to play (spoiler: there are), then why would I get another DS?

Thoughts on others' situations:
So I wonder: is what you mentioned Nintendo being worried about actually the case? Are people stupidly mistaking DSes for 3DSes and buying them instead? I sure doubt it. Maybe you could account at most for 10% of the DS sales like this, but not 50%, 90%, 100% of them. Not when DSes are outselling 3DSes. Is the problem instead that people are buying DS Lites or DSis to replace their own broken DSes? If that's the case, why? Do they want/need the GBA port? Do they not own working GBAs? Do they use things like the Acekard 3-in-1 GBA emulator on their DSes? Perhaps this guides us to the truth ...

I'm wondering if the reason we see so many people purchasing DSes rather than 3DSes is that:
1) Just like me, their own DSes are starting to give out or have completely given out.
2) Unlike me, they don't actually own most/all of their DS games. Instead, most/all of their DS library exists on a flash cart. And so ...
3) Since those flash carts don't work with 3DSes, they have to buy DS Lites and/or DSis to get them to work.

I wonder if that's what explains what we're seeing here. People are buying DS Lites and DSis before they disappear from store shelves and they're doing so either because their old DSes are starting to go bad or else because they're planning for the future. I dunno. What do you think?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #14
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Are people stupidly mistaking DSes for 3DSes and buying them instead? I sure doubt it.
Well when ya get uniformed people complaining the new Layton doesn't work on old DS's there sure seems ta be a branding problem. That NOA video didn't arise from nothing!

Quote:
I wonder if that's what explains what we're seeing here. People are buying DS Lites and DSis before they disappear from store shelves and they're doing so either because their old DSes are starting to go bad or else because they're planning for the future. I dunno. What do you think?
I think its price and brand confusion. DSi & whatever lil stock of Lites are left are much cheaper then any 3DS model while the DSi XL & regular 3DS are about even in price. The BF sales/bundles this year focused on DS's to boot! Even if its to clear out stock its not helping, nor was having 3 PKMN games launch this year for the DS as opposed to 1 lil digital-only one for 3DS!

Now 3DS still outsold DS in november but selling less in its second holiday season than its first isn't the best sign. The price is to high which these last minute sales are trying to make up for but theres also the whole lack of games. And $40 games. Cause that worked SO well for PSP! When NOA themselves are taking a year to put out Fire Emblem who's gonna blame 3rd parties over being slow to bring their stuff out? And not getting Animal Crossing out was prolly a massive mistake. But hey 3DS has Mario! MARIO!!!!

(not counting olympic or dsiware games DS has 9 mario games while 3DS already has 5...)

Last edited by Lindz; 12-09-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #15
EpicSquirtle
Adrift in a sea of dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
Well when ya get uniformed people complaining the new Layton doesn't work on old DS's there sure seems ta be a branding problem. That NOA video didn't arise from nothing!

I think its price and brand confusion. DSi & whatever lil stock of Lites are left are much cheaper then any 3DS model while the DSi XL & regular 3DS are about even in price. The BF sales/bundles this year focused on DS's to boot! Even if its to clear out stock its not helping, nor was having 3 PKMN games launch this year for the DS as opposed to 1 lil digital-only one for 3DS!
I hate it when people think the 3ds is a regular ds with 3d . It just gets me angry and then they act like they know all about it.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #16
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

When the new 3D Pokemon game comes out I will probably get a 3DS. They already have a new Fire Emblem (yay). If Final Fantasy Tactics Advance gets a new installment, I'll be sold.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #17
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
@Kindrindra, I highly doubt that the new xbox will be called the 720. The internal name for it apparently is Kryptos. I'd guess green will be an important color again.

About the prices of the 3DS, and I'm speaking from an European point of view here, they're still about 170 Euro. Which is roughly 225 USD. Same goes for the normal DS btw.

The Euro equivalent of 130/140 USD would be pretty much appreciated here.
Those prices might even trigger me in getting one, I really don't have any money to spare and I'm such a lucky bastard I can give myself an additional 40% discount on the consumer price.

Though I'm not really sure if I really want a 3DS then or a regular DS.
I'm not so fond of the 3D effects and I don't really know what other differences are between the 3DS and DS. But on the other hand, is the prices of the 2 are the same, I'd better get a 3DS anyway.
Escalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #18
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escalion View Post
@Kindrindra, I highly doubt that the new xbox will be called the 720. The internal name for it apparently is Kryptos. I'd guess green will be an important color again.

About the prices of the 3DS, and I'm speaking from an European point of view here, they're still about 170 Euro. Which is roughly 225 USD. Same goes for the normal DS btw.

The Euro equivalent of 130/140 USD would be pretty much appreciated here.
Those prices might even trigger me in getting one, I really don't have any money to spare and I'm such a lucky bastard I can give myself an additional 40% discount on the consumer price.

Though I'm not really sure if I really want a 3DS then or a regular DS.
I'm not so fond of the 3D effects and I don't really know what other differences are between the 3DS and DS. But on the other hand, is the prices of the 2 are the same, I'd better get a 3DS anyway.
Ah, okay, thank god. I'd heard people call it the 720 so yeah.

The 3DS and DS are different systems- It's same difference as between the PS3 and the PS2.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #19
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
When the new 3D Pokemon game comes out I will probably get a 3DS. They already have a new Fire Emblem (yay). If Final Fantasy Tactics Advance gets a new installment, I'll be sold.
This, pretty much. I'm sure my main system will be a DS Lite, though.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #20
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
Quite frankly, I want to know where the hell the other companies get their names from. And even then, those two still carry the 'Playstation' and 'Xbox' title, which are actually the name of the systems.
During development of the Xbox, it was called the DirectX Box. DirectX being the video/graphics software Microsoft makes. Take off the Direct part and you've got X Box. Add in people's obsession with the letter X and you've got yourself a pitchable name.

360 was added to the next generation (this generation) of the product to show it was like the center of media. Music, gaming, video is all doable on it and 360 was kind of a way to reflect that it was part of all media. In addition, it is said that they chose not to go with Xbox 2 because it would give the impression that the Xbox was behind the Playstation, which they thought would soon release the PS3 (it still took a while though) and by having a 3 in 360, it gave the feel that it was on equal footing.

Last edited by Loki; 12-19-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games