Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 09-29-2019, 05:54 AM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Pokemon Let's GO anime

Plagiarized from a lot of places.

Quote:
The adventure towards the apparently infinitely vast Pokémon World now begins.

Now!
Let's Go!
To the Pokémon World!
With our dreams and adventures!

Presenting the characters of the new anime "Pocket Monsters"

Satoshi
A 10 year old boy who aims to become the best at Pokémon battling due to a certain encounter he had.
He's a straightforward boy with a strong sense of justice.
His dream is to become a Pokémon Master.

Pikachu
Satoshi's greatest partner who journeys together with him.
His specialty is Thunderbolt.

Go
A 10-year old boy who's aim is to get the Mythical Pokémon Mew he met when he was little.
He usually has a calm demeanor but can also get hot-blooded ����
His dream is to get all Pokemon.
His partner his the Fire Pokemon, Hibanni.

Airing November 17.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:39 AM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Here's the trailer.

BORKED
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-29-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
precita
Boulder Badge

Funniest part of it all is the new character being a boy after all. Very strange there's no female character, unless as said, when Ash revisits previous regions, the main girl of that region like Misty/May/Dawn, etc. rejoin Ash and the new character for awhile until Ash leaves and goes to the next one. Would be a neat way to have a revolving female companion in the series and/or let people see old favorites.

If not, then weird. The anime has been downplaying the role for the female companion ever since Serena, and then in SM despite having 3 main girls, all got limited screentime. Now they're just eliminating the female role altogether. It's like...the exact opposite of the sexist route with the Pokemon franchise wanting to expand to more female fans after the first two generations.

Also all this experimentation with the anime really makes it feel like Ash's story really should have been resolved with XY, or even DP before that. It's pretty obvious XY was the "big sendoff" and climatic finale to the traditional format of the show, making Ash's loss to Alain even more jarring in retrospect. Really wish they did do it back then and have new versions or AU Ash's every series since.
precita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:12 AM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

My gut impression was Go was male. Then, the eyelashes, hairpain and general fidelity to the male-female formula had me change my mind to a female. I'm not bothered that he's actually male.

I'm disappointed that this is AU though. For years, people said over and over that Ash winning the Pokemon League = show ends was a myth.

Now we know that it's come to pass.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-29-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
precita
Boulder Badge

If you look in the background there are many scenes that call back to the main casts pokemon. We see Dragonite snuggling Meowth with Wobbufett next to it, I guess Dragonite will replace the Bewear gag from SM?

We also see Bulbasaur/Squirtle and Charizard close together, and a small (baby?) Charmander on the back of Charizard. I wonder if those are Ash's Kanto starters, and the Charmander is the offspring of Ash's Charizard.

In the Sinnoh section there's a Croagunk climbing the mountain holding a Piplup up by its leg, possibly a reference to Dawn/Brock?

Also of course the huge Greninja just floating there in the Kalos section.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:53 PM   #6
Char
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
My gut impression was Go was male. Then, the eyelashes, hairpain and general fidelity to the male-female formula had me change my mind to a female. I'm not bothered that he's actually male.

I'm disappointed that this is AU though. For years, people said over and over that Ash winning the Pokemon League = show ends was a myth.

Now we know that it's come to pass.
Is it confirmed that it's AU?
Old 09-29-2019, 08:24 PM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Ash's attire is based on the male character from Pokemon Masters (the nostalgia pandering game)
Go's is based on the male character from Pokemon GO (the normie pandering game)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char View Post
Is it confirmed that it's AU?
The logo is the same as the AU continuity movies:

Spoiler: show

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-29-2019, 09:41 PM   #8
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I mean, it seems like a bit of a stretch to say that the new anime is AU simply because of the logo. I feel like we should wait and see before we judge.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:06 PM   #9
precita
Boulder Badge

The lack of a female companion makes me think the writers are just tired and don’t know what to do with female characters anymore. All the girls have been getting limited screentime and development since the last decade, and despite Lillie having her game plot she was mostly irrelevant to SM after the Aether arc ended besides the same z move training everyone did. Mallow was basically an afterthought and Lana they did as much they could of. Serena was entirely based around her crush and Iris didn’t get more than misty.

Maybe they just decided to stop the new female companion thing altogether. They were able to do it right the first few times since May was successful in replacing Misty and became one of the most memorable and popular characters in the franchise, then made Dawn a co-star but that was also because they had a Contests to use. Since then...nothing.

It probably doesn’t help it feels like they ran out of character archetypes to use especially for Pokémon female leads, half the new girls are largely modeled after May’s character over and over with slight variations. Lana is probably the only truly unique one we’ve gotten in awhile
Old 10-02-2019, 06:12 PM   #10
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

"Female companion" is basically two paradigms:

-main heroine based on a player character
-main heroine based around an NPC

All the PC heroines, that is May, Dawn and Serena, have a lot in common with one another.

The NPC heroines (Misty, Iris, Eureka, Lillie/Mao/Suiren) tend to have more unique personality and, at least since Iris, more original story arcs.

I think having two boys anchor the cast leaves the door open for a revolving female NPC to fill in the third slot. I don't actually think there won't be a female, but I highly doubt it will be another Coordinator.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-02-2019, 06:33 PM   #11
precita
Boulder Badge

The difference is the poster/advertisements blatantly say Go is the "co-star" and equal protagonist to Ash, basically what Dawn's role was in DP.

So if there is a girl character that joins later on, they would essentially be what Brock was in DP....a third wheel character. In other words the female character won't do much since this series is centered around Ash and Go's dreams/roles, and then I guess that would alienate female fans even more.

It's definitely weird though. Usually you don't have two males as leads unless it's a shonen heavy fighting series, and in a franchise like Pokemon that constantly tries to attract new girls and actually has a large female following, the lack of any major female character feels like an oversight, especially 22 years into the series. We also came from series that experimented with more than one girl on the cast at a time, something they never did in the first four series. Serena and Bonnie, then Lillie/Lana/Mallow. If anything there was more female representation, even though the large number of characters inevitable meant every character would get less focus overall.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:41 PM   #12
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Let's not kid ourselves with the "female fan" bit. Most of the people clamouring for a female are male fans, who want eye candy. Cute girls doing cute things and all that rot. Isn't that the point of Pokemon Masters? A girlfriend-like experience with Pokemon anime girls? Like I highly doubt people care about the Brycen or Pryce cutscenes, they want Rosa/Hilda stuff.

I'm kinda OK with sausage leads. It would be cool to have two main guys have a great relationship like Gon/Killua rather than throw in a token Brock or girl character just because.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #13
precita
Boulder Badge

Besides Ash’s Pokémon team, the female characters are usually the most marketable characters and selling point of each new saga. I’m just rather surprised they’d try to do a new series without any female lead at all. It feels like other than people debating about Ash’s Pokémon and battles, the other 50% of discussion each saga is whoever the female companion is and what her role on the show is. The writers themselves are well aware of this and have known since May was introduced over a decade ago which is why it kickstarted the new female lead every generation. With SM being the first to experiment with 3 female leads which was unthinkable even just a few years ago, to go from that to none at all is rather surprising.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #14
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by precita View Post
With SM being the first to experiment with 3 female leads which was unthinkable even just a few years ago, to go from that to none at all is rather surprising.
Lillie, Suiren and Mao really aren't "leads" in the same sense as May, Dawn, and Iris were. Lillie aside, the other two don't get much more focus over Kaki and Mamane. So this is the second region without a main heroine.

And, other anime have handled sausage fests pretty well. Like Hunter x Hunter, unless you're like me and consider Kurapika and Killua basically girls anyway.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-07-2019, 06:44 PM   #15
sixdragons_in_atrenchcoat
Thunder Badge

No part of the anime was good after XYZ. We need an XYZ revisit with an older, trainer Bonnie maybe. Whatever they do, they should keep the theme song. It was aabsolutely amazing.
… You've met your match yeah im no beginner...
blah blahbalhablhablhablbahblahahlPOKEMON, POOOKEMON!

Cy, Bug Trainer

FB Profile
sixdragons_in_atrenchcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:48 PM   #16
precita
Boulder Badge

Since this is probably still in continuity with the show we should see Bonnie/Clemont again in the Kalos portion, since they are still in the main city, just like the SM cast will appear again when Ash revisits Alola.

Of course past main character cameos depend on the availability of the Japanese voice actors, many of them work on other shows or may have conflicting schedules, etc.

I’m pretty sure we’ll see the last SM episode sort of intertwine with this new saga, the animation style looks rather similar.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:07 PM   #17
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Yeah it's looking more and more like this won't be a reboot, which is great, because that would have been fudging stupid.

What I would bet money on is Dawn comes back, and possibly takes on more than jut a cameo role due to the possibility of DP remakes.

I know you're a May man, but I'm pretty sure Dawn is the second-most popular heroine, behind Misty. So many current fans and YouTubers grew up with DP as their starter season, so Dawn means as much to them as Misty does to we G1ers.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-11-2019, 12:42 AM   #18
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Misty/May/Dawn are what the female protagonist needs to be like. Misty I guess was less goal driven than the other two but they were all great. Female protagonists have gone downhill since gen 4.

I’ll be very happy if this is just a continuation and not a reboot of sorts.

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:07 AM   #19
precita
Boulder Badge

A new female character was revealed today, ironically enough. I don’t know if she’ll be traveling with them but she’ll probably appear a lot given she’s the peofessor’s daughter.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #20
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I don't have time to update the OP right now, but my immediate thought is that this "Professor Sakuragi" is going to replace Oak.

I know that we have had the regional professor pseudo-replace Oak, but from the description it sounds like he's going to have an even bigger role. Oak, as we know, died last year and and a hastily replaced took his place. I think he's done an admiral job but I don't feel like he's a long term fix. So this might be time to find a younger Oak to replace him.

Tomokazu Sugita is basically "young Unsho Ishizuka" anyway, so I wonder if someday we find Sugi filling in that role. It's really weird that 10 year old kids can have "childhood friends", it should simply be "friend", but eh. I wonder if they'll have a Gary-Ash dynamic, with Koharu as the new Ash and Go as the new Gary.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON