UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 10:32 PM   #5526
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Very carefully, because the deck and most of the DUEA archetypes have been massively power crept.

I think it's really dumb that old decks like Dark Magician, Blue Eyes, Red Eyes, Glads, Bujins, and BA got super support while Shaddolls got...Shaddoll Construct. And Apakallone.

For me,

This really typifies the problems. Very, very commonly, I get down to 20 cards or less on turn 1 or 2. In the old days, dumping half your deck and 1/3 of the Extra would have been seen as a successful turn.

But once you actually get there...there's very little that can be done with the hand. Shaddoll Fusion isn't easily searchable, to the point I wonder if Polymerization might be better, and many turns I go without doing much on the Normal Summon side.

Shaddolls in hand aren't necessarily garnets, the level 4's can beatstick and it days of old used to do just that on top of being fodder for Dark Law. But it feels like, rather than search power, I don't have enough generic draw power with x3 Allure, Upstart and three draws off Hyper Librarian.

If we count what Archetis could do, it's 5 draws (from Formula, Archetis) which is still not great. In the 2016 format it was...9 draws, with a -1 from Trishula and a -1 from Dark Law after Durendal did its shuffle.

I really wonder what the answer is aside from "ROTA to 3" which would certainly ease some of the pressure for good draws off Allure. Allure should exist to patch up monster heavy hands but I'm not running into it consistently enough.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-02-2020, 03:21 AM   #5527
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Hey, I got to face full-power Zoodiacs and maybe PePe (?) in Unlimited. This is the first time I've faced either deck since I skipped out the last end of the ARC-V format.

I lost to Zoos after drawing a monster heavy hand, and the opponent summoned Drident and Master Peace. I was able to drop Droll on them so they didn't draw a bunch off the True Draco spell card. I managed to summon El Shaddoll Construct off Shaddoll Fusion from the deck, with a Hanewata in the grave, but with no way to bait out Master Peace's destruction effect I couldn't proceed any further.

I was running Droll because it's a good way to piss off the dumb deep draw Exodia decks common in Unlimited. People who think it's innovative to have an Exodia deck with multiple pieces and x3 Painful Choice, Pot of Greed and Graceful Charity.

Against PePe, I opened Thunder Dragon Colossus and my opponent couldn't do anything. I had Droll in had as backup, but I guess this really shows the deck's age since Colossus can't do anything to most of the modern decks I've seen, like Evil Eye, World Chalice, Orcusts or Spyrals.

I was able to Twin Twister away the traps and summon Blazar for the win in this one.

The main difference between this deck and the advanced one is I have triple ROTA and triple Upstart. It doesn't help if you draw monster heavy, but it can happen and it happened to me twice. So, the performance should just be more consistent and better, since I can run fewer Junk Synchron/Doppelwarrior with three ROTA in place.

However, I think what this showed is how much PePe and Zoos aged. These are three year old decks now and were still pre-Link. I barely understand how the new decks work, or what their boss monster is, but I was able to quickly grasp how Zoos worked because it was more familiar.

The Zoodiac deck "Chaos XYZs" on itself, then discards the original materials to set up additional Chaos XYZs the next turn, and sits on Master Peace and Drident. This set up is unfortunately better done by the decks of today so I had all the tools necessary to dismantle it, just not in my deck.

Sad yet interesting.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-02-2020, 08:33 PM   #5528
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
ETCO-JP078 墓穴ホール Haketsu Hole (Grave Hole/The Grave Hole/Hole by the Grave)
Normal Trap Card
(1) When your opponent activates a monster effect in the hand, in the GY, or that is banished: Negate that effect, and if you do, your opponent takes 2000 damage.

eyes emoji
Old 01-02-2020, 08:35 PM   #5529
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Now the opponent plays for Solemn Strike.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-02-2020, 08:39 PM   #5530
Emi

It's also a Normal Trap vvhich means Trap Trick use eyes emoji
Old 01-02-2020, 08:57 PM   #5531
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The major downside though is it looks like with the release of the Raigeki Storm card, HFD will get unbanned fairly soon. There's going to be no opportunity to set this.

So like the OCG format, Maxx "C" + Nibiru + HFD means that going first now becomes a liability, with enormous punishment for both set 4 and big board decks.

This had me realize that hand looping is really the only way to beat these opponents, provided I'm not facing Thunder Dragons. Even with a win condition in Cosmic Blazar Dragon, Dark Law is far more important and Librarian should serve to bring it out reliably.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-04-2020, 02:10 AM   #5532
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

This is insane. It's completely insane.

Magical Musketeers, True Draco and Spyrals all have their annoying quirks, but nothing seemed so blatantly unfair as this.

The interaction between World Legacy's Memory and Mekk-Night Purple Nightfall is like combining E-Teleport with Elemental Hero Stratos, except Purple has a much bigger body.

It's to the point that I am considering main decking three Deck Lockdown, because look at this. It doesn't matter if you banish everything the opponent does because everything still tutors or floats so it's always a -1 interaction.

What I noticed (and a reason I stopped using Thunder Dragons) is all the recent decks don't rely on deck to hand searching now. They primarily special summon from the deck, with secondary ones activating in the grave (usually to add to hand). A single Deck Lockdown would have shut down all of this nonsense, in a way that the Solemn Judgment couldn't.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-04-2020, 10:28 AM   #5533
Emi

Ahh yes, you have discovered the Gorz of the Link era, ready to purge the unworthy who do not play around it
Old 01-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #5534
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The weird part is I've never seen Deck Lockdown dropped against me. Not once despite its obvious floodgate potential. But it really feels like going first and dropping it after setting up is the only consistent way to guarantee stopping turns.

Against a modern HAT deck, veiler Myrmeleo does nothing because the player goes into the Traptrix Link and goes +2 right through the negate.

I hate how power creeped Glads, Gravekeepers, Harpies, Photon and now Dark Magician have become. The only saving grace is that they're still forced to run the old cards and that is their weak point. Like how do you fight against these new decks. It's enough to frustrate any new players, why was this allowed instead of soft set rotation?

I wanted to run Necro Fusion as a pseudo Vanity's in combo with Shaddoll Winda, but I've yet to resolve it once. It's too slow and the floaters are too floaty.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-09-2020, 02:31 AM   #5535
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I faced a Thunder Dragon deck and dropped Deck Lockdown first turn. He kept Link Summoning until he could remove it, then exploded the field for +6 advantage.

I get that my hand was so awful but YGO is really sick right now. You can't really stop turns anymore.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-09-2020, 10:27 PM   #5536
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pojo
Thunder Dragon Behemoth
Level 9/LIGHT/Thunder/Effect
3000 ATK / 2000 DEF

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hnad) by banishing 1 Level 8 or lower Thunder monster from your hand or face-up from your field during the turn a Thunder monster’s effect is activated in the hand.
(1) Once per turn, during your opponent’s turn (Quick Effect): You can banish 2 cards from your GY, including a Thunder monster, then target 1 Thunder monster you control; it cannot be targeted by an opponent’s card effect for the rest of this turn.
(2) Once per turn, during your End Phase: You can send 1 “Thunder Dragon” card from your Deck to the GY.
So much wasted potential. Had it been a Contact Fusion, it would have been Sooo Good™.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-09-2020, 11:30 PM   #5537
Emi

The card is still good. It makes a lot of dead hands live. Being a contact fusion vvouldn't make it that much better.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:50 PM   #5538
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I disagree. One of the major problems with Thunder Dragons is drawing a bunch in the opening hand, because without the ability to search more or generate grave/banish zone setup, the Thunder Dragon engine can't get going.

A Contact Fusion that is summoned by banishing Thunder Dragons from the hands means you are never dead, while this thing requires you to draw both it and a Thunder Dragon.

The major issue I have with Synchron/Thunder Dragon/Shaddoll is a consistent, yet commonly useless hand involving multiple Shaddolls and a Thunder Dragon. It was so annoying I ran Card Destruction for a while simply because every time I'd get that hand, refreshing it would give a Junk/Doppel/Level 1 tuner setup very consistently.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-10-2020, 07:36 AM   #5539
Emi

Oh it's not a Fusion monster I completely overlooked that.

Yeah this card is literal garbage.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:42 PM   #5540
Emi

It's time for a Banlist
Old 01-18-2020, 11:25 PM   #5541
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

>Thunder Dragon Colossus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tim5nU3DwIE#t=0m22s" width="644" height="390">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tim5nU3DwIE#t=0m22s" />BORKED
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-20-2020, 09:57 AM   #5542
Emi

Colossus definitely deserved it to be honest, but novv I need a nevv strategy to mix vvith Shaddolls
Old 01-20-2020, 07:15 PM   #5543
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I don't agree in practice. All of the decks I faced weren't affected by it, which was more an issue of their power level and not Colossus. Orcust, World Chalice, the kid archetype, all of them were big on special summons from the deck and the sheer mass effect removal meant that Colossus need every inch to survive removal effects.

In theory Colossus is a super unfair, splashable boss monster, but it's also just a buffed Rai-Oh, so the removal options for Rai-Oh are the same.

Also in practice, the loss of Colossus doesn't affect me too much. Colossus had high offensive presence and its effects put immediate pressure on an opponent, but it was always a side effect of the Thunder Dragon engine. For Links, you can use the free Dragondark fodder for links or Synchros in the space Colossus would have occupied.

Additionally, being a Dark Fusion made it vulnerable to certain Super Poly targets like Venom Dragon and the King of the Swamp.

So I don't think the boss was a good hit, really. Nor would Dragondark to 2 have done much. Te best hit would have been Dragonhawk to 1.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-16-2020, 09:09 AM   #5544
Emi

To the surprise of probably no one, I definitely lost this duel (but, I did vvin the match)
Old 02-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #5545
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Let that be a lesson, kids: don't do pot, no matter how extravagant.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-24-2020, 07:01 PM   #5546
Emi

It's a banlist!
Old 03-24-2020, 09:28 PM   #5547
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Organization
A lot like the new OCG restrictions but not quite as elbow bomb they did.
What does this mean?

And I hate that Librarian is at 1 again. It suggests that after a decade people are still clueless about how Synchro Monsters generate advantage.

Practically speaking, I wouldn't use more than 1 Librarian anyway. So it's more insult than injury.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-24-2020, 11:31 PM   #5548
Emi

The OCG pretty much nuked everything. Their most recent list is so long I glossed over it, to be honest.

Librarian to 1 is fine honestly.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:45 PM   #5549
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm confused, isn't this the second TCG list of 2020, with the first the one banning Colossus?

I seem to remember an OCG nuke, but is that implying another one happened right after?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-25-2020, 08:25 AM   #5550
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I'm confused, isn't this the second TCG list of 2020, with the first the one banning Colossus?

I seem to remember an OCG nuke, but is that implying another one happened right after?
The most recent OCG list

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment