UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 05-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

An interesting little thing...

I don't really think this merits its own thread, but there's no general thread, so.

I was stumbling and found this article on the 5 Worst Video Games of All Time.

Pokemon Emerald is #3.

Ok, sure, Gen III is regarded by many as one of the worst Generations, but calling Emerald one of the worst games of all time seems harsh. He does seem to admit, though, that he legitimately enjoyed RS, but not E for its rehash-iness.

Now, I can't say that Pokemon Company is really justified in their Three Version Strategy (though, hell, you know we all get it anyways), and Emerald is one of the weaker ones, but, worst game of all time? Really? I dunno, I though the Battle Frontier alone justified getting Emerald, but that's just me.

Of course, this was written by some teenager, judging by the site. So take it with a grain of salt.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
This kid also put QWOP as the worst game, even though it is fantastic.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Response A:
Anyone who places Superman for the N64 at No.5 and yet places Pokemon Emerald at No.2 is a fool. Superman adorns the very top position of many gamers' Worst Games Ever lists. While I'm not saying I personally think it's the worst game of all time, certainly it's far worse than any Pokemon game which has ever been made.

Response B:
Anyone who puts a main series Pokemon game on this list and doesn't put any of the numerous Pokemon spin-off games (e.g. Pokemon Dash) is being a fool. Sure, he's entitled to his opinion, but it's a foolish opinion. How can he put Emerald on this list and not proceed to include every Pokemon Snap and Hey You, Pikachu on the list as well?

Response C:
He's just some dumb kid, Jeri.

You can have all three replies, Jeri.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:30 PM   #4
Weebos
TOO SLOW! LOL

Send a message via AIM to Weebos Send a message via MSN to Weebos
I think Pokemon Emerald was better than its predecessors Yellow and Crystal.

Hell it introduced the BATTLE FRONTIER, what's not to love?

Trainer Level 5 - KOs:106 TP:274.5 SP:7.5 C+ Referee
Fighting Gym Leader
39 - 23 - 13
Weebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:33 AM   #5
Selena
Aroma Lady

Battle frontier, enough said.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:44 AM   #6
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

>Emerald places
>Pokemon Trozei does not

I loled.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Instead of using a video that spoils the end of the games story the writer maybe coulda made one showing the downsides of Emerald compared to R/S? There are some, I never liked how they bumped out the contest halls. They could've kept those and added battle tents. Lack of Roselia (easy special attack EV training) was a cruel move. Replacing the champion was also an ehhhh thing.

Why compare its sales numbers to R/S anyway? Third versions never sell nearly as much. 3rd versions are for, well, solidifying the games story for one and secondly for competition lovers to an extent. Game Freak releases tons of new PKMN, moves, abilities to gamers then for the next two years or so analyzes our strategies to throw 'em right back at us with the definitive version. Its a solid strategy in my book!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
Kuno Fan
Kuno > N

I don't think Emerald being on the list was all too justified. As it's been mentioned, it seems a little dumb that it was on the list and random boring games with no real plot line were not. Also, while it says that Ruby and Sapphire were great, R/S didn't have the amazing cut scene with Rayquaza, did it? And then there was the lack of the Battle Frontier, of course.

I personally think that Emerald was A LOT better then the side games. All in all, this guy seems to be a weird biased idiot. *shrugs*

and the art thread that i'll be trying to breathe life back into lol
Kuno Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #9
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
I loved Emerald, personally. I was disappointed with the removal of contests, but love the battle frontier. (so much better then Battle Tower)

Crystal also makes the list of my favorites, overall, I like the 3rd gen games a lot more then the first two, though the originals will always be originals. I was looking forward to a Third game for FR/LG and HG/SS as well, and would have readily bought it. unfortunately it's not happened yet.
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Since you've brought it up, I would love to see them do an anime-themed game again ŕ la Pokémon Yellow. I haven't seen much at all of the Hoenn anime and I only caught the tail-end third of Sinnoh, but I think a 5th gen anime-based game would have a lot of potential, especially since Ash catches a shitton of Pokémon in this game.

I would want to see one change made to such a game though, and I'm not sure how popular it'd be but I know that this is how I'd like to see it: when playing through Story Mode for the first time (i.e. until you beat the Elite Four for the first time), you can't capture anything in the wild nor breed anything nor import anything. To "capture" the creatures for your team, it'd be similar to what Ash does in the show. So if they follow him or join him as an event, then that's how it happens. And if he actually did capture them, then yes, you would be scripted to go into the grass and partake in a staged fight. Probably wouldn't happen that way, but I can dream. And even if it was just like Yellow, I could still of my own free will choose to have the Ash Ketchum team even if other kids don't want to. More freedom that way, I realize, but I think forcing players into the situation at the very least is conducive towards making us all have the same memorable experiences with the same creatures for at least one playthru.

If they do decide to remake 3rd Gen and if they do surprisingly decide to remake Emerald rather Ruby or Sapphire, that'd be pretty sweet in my book. I would just hope that they'd take a page out of that Drayano kid's book and make the goddamn Gym Leaders have partially- or fully-evolved teams of six instead of unevolved teams of two or three for the first like four gyms. >_>; I would also hope that they would have Wallace and Steven as Gym 8's leader and the Pokemon League Champion, respectively, rather than having Juan and Wallace. Juan's cool, but man, Wallace as the Champion was probably the worst thing about Emerald since (a) majorly anti-climactic pushover and (b) Steven Stone was such a badass. And the first time you ever see Metagross!? :o Epic. I would want that experience for today's generation. Not some goddamn Whiscash user. (No offense, Dave. :x But Whiscash ain't exactly scary ...)
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON