UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 06-27-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

WTB: Dynasty Warriors 5

I went looking for Dynasty Warriors 5 for the XBox, because I really really want to play along with Liu Bei and Sun Quan's campaigns and stuff as I read Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Unfortunately, Koei quit producing it apparently, so the only copies which exist are either used or hard-to-find store shelved new copies. I went to Target and Best Buy, they had nothing. I called Game Stop, and they had one, but they said it was "pretty used" and still wanted me to pay $27 for it. (Sorry, $20 max for a good used game, $10 for a used game in questionable condition, that's my policy. ) Amazon.com has only used copies and is similarly asking for $23 or more, and I really don't like buying used things off of Amazon because (unlike a real-life store like Game Stop that's just 10 minutes' drive away) if you get a shitty used thing from Amazon, you're s.o.l. unless you decide to waste more time than it's worth to get Amazon to refund you.

So ... does anybody have some suggestions? Anybody know of any video game vendors (online or RL) who would be likely to have (a) used copies for $20 or less, or (b) new copies for $40 or less?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Re: WTB: Dynasty Warriors 5

The PS2 version is much more common. I still don't see why you don't have one, especially since you still have Xenosaga 1 & 2 & 3.

Anyway, all the prices on Ebay are basically the same for new versions at somewhere around $27-$35, but I know you're totally against the idea of some stranger knowing your address. Craig's list is worse.

Just read the book and play the next DW game when it comes out.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaDevourer
Just read the book and play the next DW game when it comes out.
Quoted for regrettable contigency-plan truth.

I was looking into Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires (for the 360) and was disappointed to see that it's more like Koei's RoTK strategy games than like their Dynasty Warriors game. It's basically been (intentionally?) misnamed in order to trick fans of the "kill 1000 dudes in under 20 minutes" DW games into buying a "spend a week trying to conquer 15 different provinces" game. That's what it sounds like from all the reviews online, anyway.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
Loki

I got it for the PS2 and it has both (killing and conquering), but after the first mission, you are free to run around and do ANYTHING.

i.e. Yellow Turban Rebellion- Suppress the Yellow Turbans, then conquer the rest of China any way you please.

Dong Zhuo's Tyranny- Defeat Dong Zhou, then conquer the rest of China any way you please.

etc.etc.etc.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Well, I think the smartest strategy would be to take out Sun Jian/Ce/Quan first, since having the Southland is a really useful platform from which to wage war. You have the Great River to your north, the sea to your east and southeast, and a wide expanse of territory. Having taken the Southland, you could then go north bit by bit, first taking out Jingzhou, then Xuzhou and Yuzhou, and then finally Jizhou and the other northern provinces.

Do they keep the Chinese names, or do they call them Xu Province, Yu Province, etc.?
Old 06-28-2007, 12:04 PM   #6
Loki

Not everyone starts where the book has written.

Sun Jian, Cao Cao, and Liu Bei (and some others) start very close to the provinces where the Yellow Turbans have conquered, as they essentially gathered there to put down the rebellion.

In the Dong Zhou story, I think Liu Bei is is Xiapei or something and somewhat surround Dong Zhuo's provinces.

I haven't really been playing it much since I maxed out my custom character's stats and got the ultimate weapon. You can only conquer China so many times... xd.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:21 PM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Heh. Well, in that case, (for my plan to work out easiest) I guess it would mean I'd have to start the game as either Sun Ce or Sun Quan. There's no reason for them to be up north for their first mission. Sun Ce's first mission ought to be conquering Southern provinces, while Sun Quan's ought to either be the fight against Huang Zu south of Jingzhou (and directly north of the Yangzi) or perhaps even as late as the Battle of Chi Bi.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games