UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate

Old 06-07-2016, 12:04 AM   #151
satosere
Cascade Badge

I'm not trying to start anything. I just was speaking my mind. I dont need (or want) anyone attempting to "teach" me about anything on the Internet and now I quite regret even posting in the first place. Boy, I cant post without someone making a huge fuss over what I think.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:48 AM   #152
Altocharizard55
The Scientist

I usually don't involve myself like this, but you did post in the Debate forum. If you wish to post here, you should expect to have your opinions potentially disagreed with. Also, 'Geet didn't make a huge fuss, he was only asking you questions based on something you said.

As much as I would not personally feel comfortable to use a unisex restroom, I also think it's a bit shortsighted and misinformed to claim that allowing transgender men/women into their respective bathrooms would increase the instances of inappropriate things happening within them.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:54 AM   #153
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
There are people you hate who love Pokémon, sex, and living.
How dare they!!! I will join the Fun Police right this instant to put a stop to this once and for all.

Quote:
I'm not trying to start anything. I just was speaking my mind. I dont need (or want) anyone attempting to "teach" me about anything on the Internet and now I quite regret even posting in the first place. Boy, I cant post without someone making a huge fuss over what I think.
First off, this is the debate thread. Forcing someone to defend their position isn't an unexpected outcome. It's not a huge fuss to have multiple people ask you to do so.

Second of all, you got one response that was just a list of questions. Granted, they're Rangeet's "questions" which are never really questions at all because Rangeet is a lawyer in engineer's clothing. But it's one post. Not a fuss. Just questions.

In this case unfortunately you were easy prey because your position was one of the weakest arguments for bathroom laws that exists. Did you think that some husky 6'5" biker dude in chains and leather would walk into your public school, demand entry to the girl's restroom, and proceed to rape a little girl while authorities outside wept for the state of American justice?

I understand at least a small part of the fear, but the world has a bunch of other systems that run at the same time. Rape and molestation is not a problem under the current system, and it is more lax than any proposed law or change (including pro-LGBT legislation).
Old 06-07-2016, 02:33 AM   #154
Selena
Aroma Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeetsuper View Post
1) How many incidents have there been of men identifying as women "just to abuse young girls"?

2) Would you rather this guy (who was assigned female at birth) walk into your bathroom, then?

3) If someone is willing to break all the laws involving molesting women, you really think they would be so scared about intentionally going into a bathroom?

4) I realise Debate topics can be personal for people. But you still cannot expect to come into the topic and post without having read a single post beforehand.
Let's clarify a bit where I think Rangeet was getting at.

1. To answer the question, there have been none. And if you think about it, it makes sense. Rape and sexual abuse is more about power and control than lust (also the reason why wearing skimpy clothing usually has nothing to do with why a woman was victimised). When allowing transgenders to use the bathroom of the gender they identify with, a hypothetical rapist who DO wants to use this as an excuse would need to make an effort to pass. Aka dressing up as the weak victim. This kinda defeats the purpose of power and control, don't you think?

Which brings me to...

2. As Rangeet pointed out, transgender works both ways, and usually transmen, if on testosterone, have very little problems passing and look very much the part of men. Now again back to our hypothetical rapist, as Myles pointed out earlier, anybody using this as an excuse now has a better chance. Due to the existance of transmen, the need to pass as a woman to use the womens bathroom vanishes. It would lower the treshold to enter the womens bathroom instead.

However...

3. People who are looking out to abuse or rape someone will ignore signs that say "women only", after all they have no respect for the law in the first place, and anybody held back by a sign saying "women only" has to much fear / respect for the law to even think about raping someone. Afterall even if they COULD get legally into the bathroom, RAPE AND ABUSE ITSELF IS STILL ILLEGAL!!!

Also Sato, if you go to a public school it doesn't mean that every Tom, Dick and Harry can just waltz in there. There is a lot of security in American schools (too much IMO, but that's a different topic) and anyone who looks over the age of 16 and is not a teacher will not be able to enter.

Furthermore bathrooms aren't lockerrooms. You don't get to see people naked, if they try, again, that's still illegal and in school grounds reason for expulsion.

Lastly as a transgender woman myself living in a country where people don't make this an issue. Nothing of the sort has happened, bathrooms where transgenders can use the bathroom of their choice does NOT make this happen, not in schools not in malls, not anywhere. I myself had way more problems using the mens room than the womens room.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:00 PM   #155
Talon87
時の彼方へ

National Geographic's article on gender identity prompted a lot of reaction from the Internet. I've read a third of the article myself, and I can see why. There's a lot of conflation between certain genetic and psychiatric concepts early in the article, which is going to turn off biologists. There's a lot of "Gender is fluid, period" attitude in the article which is going to turn off conservatives. And there's even some "Well some things are disorders" talk, apparently (I dunno; I didn't get that far in the article proper) that is upsetting some members of those communities.

Regardless, it might be worth your read if you're interested in the topic. Whether you're pro- or anti- how people are talking about gender these days, the article provides good insight into at least what one segment of the population is thinking.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:45 PM   #156
Selena
Aroma Lady

Hmm, my personnal stance on this is that biologically speaking it's clearly not black and white with numerous intersex conditions in shapes and forms, so I don't find it a far stretched that mentally the same thing applies and gender sits somewhere on a spectrum between male and female.

And while I can aknowledge that gender and sex can be very wildly varieted, MOST seem to fall comfortably in either male or female. And since culturally we only recognise male and female I find it a bit silly to invent 50 different names for those who happen to sit somewhere in the middle where it gets very complicated very fast. No-one is going to bother to remember 50 different ways to refer to a person, I can agree that a few more besides male and female can be very usefull and maybe needed, but KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) applies here. You don't need a seperate name for every little difference here and there are major backlashes on the whole LGBTQ community solely because some of them insist on making this unneededly complicated for the vast majority and in doing so are effectively hurting their own cause.

Anyway random siderant over.

I can see from a strictly medical perspective that intersexism and transgenderism can be called a disorder. We as humans evolved to work in a certain way, and these two concepts clearly throw that out in the window. Now just because doctors amongst themselves can call it a disorder I don't think the general public should since disorders are associated in the public eye with people who can't function at all or need a massive amount of help and support. Saying intersex or transgender people have a disorder while they can function perfectly well in society is actively hurting them and preventing them from functioning in society, thus making it a self fulfilling prophecy.

Sorry about bad spelling, not native and have no spellcheck program ready right now.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 03:15 AM   #157
Marioipod13
Pokemon Trainer

I was born male but am half-boy-half-girl. I'm really unusual and rare, what would this be called?
Marioipod13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate