UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Development

Old 01-29-2019, 11:10 AM   #1
King Ghidorah
Rainbow Badge

Exchanging Breeding Slots for Eggs

So this had been brought up on Discord, but was decided it should be brought to the community's attention here.

Basically, my idea would be to be able to trade in Breeding Slots for Enigma (or I guess Type) Eggs. To protect the rarity of the Eggs, I would suggest a rate of 2 Breeding Slots = 1 Egg, though that's obviously up for discussion. Keep the total Breeding Slots at four per person. So four breeds or two eggs or two breeds and one egg max per person per year. Still continue to offer the Eggs as updater rewards as well.

My reasoning is that this could allow people who do not intend to or cannot use their Breeding Slots for actual breeding to still be able to utilize them for something. It could spark activity and could bring back some of the old nostalgia and excitement of the Egg Hut without getting too out of hand. Plus, it would likely bring some new Pokemon into the FB World.

I'm not advocating removing breeding slots. If people want to continue to use them for breeding and to check off their Wish List, more power to them. But for others who are less tied to that, it would give them an opportunity to still obtain new Pokemon from those slots.

Also, this would be tracked in the same way breeding is tracked. Post saying you're trading in your slots for Eggs, and it is marked down that you've used two slots, just as you would if you were breeding.

Just an idea. Open for everyone's thoughts.

Last edited by King Ghidorah; 01-30-2019 at 08:18 AM.
King Ghidorah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
Prof.Enigma
Enraptured by Enigmatics

I like the Idea of it, because aside from breeding a new mon here and there with someone else's mons or mine ( Highly unlikely for me though in the first place ) I don't think I will be using them as much.

FB Profile | Memakyu - Emakiss | Affinity Avenu | Come check out my Pokemon battling server!

Hey! You! Yeah, you! Do you like Pokémon RPGs? Want to go on an epic adventure with Pokémon of your own, catching new Pokémon as you go, trading Pokémon and items with helpful and friendly members of a wonderful community? If you said yes to any of that, or even just thought about saying yes to any of that, then join the Fizzy Bubbles RPG! The longest-running online Pokémon RPG known to man or Mankey!
Prof.Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:36 PM   #3
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

As someone who gets a tonne of Enigma Eggs, I’d say that Breeding Slots are far more valuable. I think a 1:1 switch would be fine, trade 1 breeding slot for 1 enigma or type egg. I feel type egg should be on the table here, breeding slot you can choose what you want to get, at least with a type egg you can pick a type that you want or that you think will suit your team.

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Theoretically, the amount of Pokemon that would be added to the game isn't going to be an issue. Even if it were a 1:1 trade, the average, non-updating FBer is going to be hatching 5 eggs a year (4 from trading breeding slots and 1 on their birthday) as opposed to the approximately 17 eggs per year that FBers on the old system could hatch if they chose non-Mystery eggs. AND, in this case, we're not increasing the number of Pokemon theoretically possible for each member to obtain, because breeding slots are being sacrificed for hatching slots.

That said, I had really high hopes for an idea presented - and I forget exactly who brought it up and when - of RNG Pokemon randomly appearing in the Adoption Center. In my ideal world, we would implement King Ghidorah's initial plan - a two breed slots for every one egg exchange - and ALSO really work on having these random adoption dropoffs happening. I remember the idea having a lot of support when it was presented initially, and I'd really like to see it go through!

It could even be thematic - spooky Pokemon appearing around Halloween - ice Pokemon appearing at Christmastime - etc.

One possible way of implementing (not sure how people would feel about this) is - every month, a different person is either chosen or elects to be the one to do a dropoff for that month. They get a three Pokemon budget, and they RNG based on either ENIGMA rules, or a THEMED list that's approved by the mods for the month (like a list of Spooky 'mon for October).

Here's the catch - the person in charge of random RNG dropoffs for that month can either drop off the Pokemon all at once, or one at a time - or two and then one - at completely random times during that month. So there's no set schedule. They can pop in at any time, as long as it's within that month's timeframe. Of course, to make it fair, the person who drops off the RNG'd Pokemon cannot then turn around and adopt them within a certain timeframe (maybe two weeks or so)? That would ruin the point of the random dropoff if the person leaving them could snatch them up!

Presumably, if the person elected were to somehow forget to drop off Pokemon that month, the person in the next month would drop off double their allotment.

I think it would be fun - would increase engagement with the BMG side of FB - and would add to the number of Pokemon while dispersing them evenly throughout the year.

And y'all can have your eggs, too.
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:13 PM   #5
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnightsFury View Post
As someone who gets a tonne of Enigma Eggs, I’d say that Breeding Slots are far more valuable. I think a 1:1 switch would be fine, trade 1 breeding slot for 1 enigma or type egg. I feel type egg should be on the table here, breeding slot you can choose what you want to get, at least with a type egg you can pick a type that you want or that you think will suit your team.
As someone who can't actually use their breeding slots due to level restrictions, Eggs are much more valuable because frankly there isn't an access lock on them. Breeding mandates lv25 or somewhere around there.

Seriously though, it's a decent idea. My personal thoughts would be that you'd probably want to make the option quarterly so we don't see bumrushes of all of the eggs at the start of the year. I remember Gary mentioning spreading the breeding slots around, maybe have one breeding slot or enigma egg per quarter? Total number's changed but we no longer have January rushes to sort everything out and December panics to burn up anything unredeemed.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:44 AM   #6
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
As someone who can't actually use their breeding slots due to level restrictions, Eggs are much more valuable because frankly there isn't an access lock on them. Breeding mandates lv25 or somewhere around there.
It is lvl 20 and I mean it isn't exactly hard to get a Pokemon to breeding level. 10 weeks in Daycare, you also get a rare candy every week and if you're participating in zones then you should be getting levels there as well. Also birthday levels. I honestly think that 2:1 breed slots for egg is a pretty big exchange. We're talking potentially a guaranteed Pokemon from your Memakyu compared to a random chance of getting a Pokemon you actually like. In my eyes, 1:1 is much cleaner and fair.

Also agreed with Marion's AC concept and I believe it was done once? This isn't really the place for that discussion but you're suggestions for the concept are awesome

Old 01-30-2019, 05:00 AM   #7
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
And if you read the rest of the post you'll see I said 1:1 was ideal.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:27 AM   #8
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
And if you read the rest of the post you'll see I said 1:1 was ideal.
I know you did, the only issue I had with what you said is that you think levels is a reason why people can’t breed. As I pointed out, it’s rather easy to get something to breeding level.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:25 AM   #9
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Quote:
This isn't really the place for that discussion but you're suggestions for the concept are awesome
I'll make a separate thread for it, then. Might catch the eye of people who don't necessarily want to discuss breeding/eggs but may have opinions about the AC idea...

Last edited by Marion Ette; 01-30-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:18 AM   #10
King Ghidorah
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
It is lvl 20 and I mean it isn't exactly hard to get a Pokemon to breeding level. 10 weeks in Daycare, you also get a rare candy every week and if you're participating in zones then you should be getting levels there as well. Also birthday levels. I honestly think that 2:1 breed slots for egg is a pretty big exchange. We're talking potentially a guaranteed Pokemon from your Memakyu compared to a random chance of getting a Pokemon you actually like. In my eyes, 1:1 is much cleaner and fair.

Also agreed with Marion's AC concept and I believe it was done once? This isn't really the place for that discussion but you're suggestions for the concept are awesome
Really the only reason I chose a 2:1 ratio was because since Eggs are given to updaters as rewards, I figured it should still remain somewhat difficult to obtain, otherwise the "reward" becomes less enticing since it's not as rare and then it diminishes updater's motivation to update. Though I do understand your logic.

Since Marion's the hatch kween, her support is appreciated. What about the big bosses?
Old 01-30-2019, 02:05 PM   #11
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

As a super active updater who gets a crap tonne of eggs, I don’t feel like it diminishes the reward (although if we wanted to move to the option of type eggs as an updater reward I’d be super keen for that).

Old 02-01-2019, 12:13 AM   #12
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

As someone who doesn't plan to make much use of breeding except under very special circumstances, I am in full support of this. Plus I miss my gatcha.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:20 AM   #13
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Right now in a very unofficial manner (mostly just reposting what I've said on Discord on the topic), 2 breeding slots to 1 enigma egg seems like the fairest ratio. Breeding slots are far more interesting from an RP perspective and from a player base unity perspective than Enigma Eggs and it keeps eggs as an incentive for updating. I would much rather see people using their breeding slots than turning them wholesale into eggs. So in my mind, the primary players who benefit from this kind of policy should be people who either choose not to use their breeding slots for RP reasons or simply have no desire to.

I have no real desire to bring back any sort of nostalgia for the Egg House. The Egg House was a blight on this game and so far, we've only brought back anything in very controlled doses (updating and adventure rewards) and I'd like to keep that similar design philosophy here.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:55 AM   #14
King Ghidorah
Rainbow Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Right now in a very unofficial manner (mostly just reposting what I've said on Discord on the topic), 2 breeding slots to 1 enigma egg seems like the fairest ratio. Breeding slots are far more interesting from an RP perspective and from a player base unity perspective than Enigma Eggs and it keeps eggs as an incentive for updating. I would much rather see people using their breeding slots than turning them wholesale into eggs. So in my mind, the primary players who benefit from this kind of policy should be people who either choose not to use their breeding slots for RP reasons or simply have no desire to.

I have no real desire to bring back any sort of nostalgia for the Egg House. The Egg House was a blight on this game and so far, we've only brought back anything in very controlled doses (updating and adventure rewards) and I'd like to keep that similar design philosophy here.
By nostalgia, I mostly meant excitement of hatching, which I always enjoyed. The Egg Hut itself was very heavy handed in it's delivery though.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:08 PM   #15
Sandaa
Volcano Badge

So lately I have taken notice of several people who have desired specific genders of pokemon, but the RNG has not been as kind to them. I’ve put a little thought into this, but rather than just deciding if we want to implement this as a rule or not, I’d like to run it by the community first and get everyone’s take on it.

Just like it is possible to influence the gender of several species of reptiles in real life during the incubation period through variance in temperature, how would you feel about spending additional breeding slots to instruct the Hatchery staff to give your egg a little extra care in influencing the gender outcome? The most important thing to take away from this proposal: This exchange would come at a serious cost. Influencing the RNG is a serious matter and the more skewed the gender-ratio, the more serious it gets. Which is why I’d propose exchanging TWO egg slots from your yearly total to access this feature. Those two slots would come in addition to the one already being used for the breed itself. Yes, three egg slots is a lot, but personally I feel this is a fair trade off. Giving people the ability to influence not only the species, but also the gender of the hatchling is akin to a Birthday Egg, but at a 100% success rate, opposed to a 1-in-8 species chance that Birthday Eggs boast. The RNG can be unfriendly sometimes, but I feel like this could help members out who have strong feelings about a planned gender to match the personality of a Pokemon they are breeding for while also maintaining the integrity of the RNG that is derived from the games themselves.

So let me know your thoughts on whether you guys think this is a good idea or not?

~Fizzle Bubble~
FO:
NFC:
Sandaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:16 PM   #16
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I like it, personally. There's several Pokémon I want that I could breed for, but don't since I specifically want it a certain gender. This seems like a perfectly feasible fix to that issue, and with a cost that, I think, makes sense and isn't unreasonable, all things considered.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:11 PM   #17
Meetan
Soul Badge

I'd be fine with this idea as well!
Old 01-27-2020, 05:04 AM   #18
Maskerade
Rainbow Badge

Anything that lets me have a say in gender outcomes get my upvote, even if in my case I'll only benefit in 2021 :P

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Development