UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 07-08-2019, 06:06 AM   #26
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

I mean the fact that the winner of the league gets an exhibition match against the Masked Royale almost confirms that Ash wins because we all know Torracat has to finally beat Incineroar. My call on how Ash gets there...

Ash > Faba (makes top 8 )
Ash > Hau (episode title confirms and makes top 4)
Ash > Guzma/Gladion not sure on the order of these two tbh but something tells me it will be Guzma in the final since Guzma has mad beef with the professor.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:43 AM   #27
precita
Boulder Badge

Not sure if we need to cover spoilers here, but given this is a league thread, I guess I'll just post some thoughts:

(spoilers if you haven't seen the ep yet)

I actually really liked this ep. Obviously Ash/Faba and Hau/oak were just quick nothing battles, but Faba's fight was kinda funny the way Meltan ate it's pendulum.

But Guzma Vs. Llima was really good, both in terms of strategy and battles. If it had XY animation that battle would have looked even better. I was also impressed by Mallow Vs. Lana, even though Mallow was destined to lose, the writers gave her some nice character moments and Lana's encouragement to make it look like she got something in this league. I was actually thinking Mallow was going to win for a second with the episode giving her the underdog status and showing her past achievements, usually when that happens the character gets a come from behind win. Overall it was nice to give her a sendoff for a character who wasn't going to get much this season.

In fact I'd wager to say Ash is going to be the least interesting part of this league going forward, I'm looking forward to all the character moments from the SM cast and Guzma over him. I honestly don't care how Ash does in this one.
precita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:28 AM   #28
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Mega Shinka?!

Such a small thing doesn't mean anything to ya boi Guzma.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:03 PM   #29
precita
Boulder Badge

Given Mallow got a nice character moment, I'm sure Lillie will get something similar next week despite her inevitable loss to Gladion. It seems kinda fitting the two "weakest" members of the SM cast lose their first real battles. Lillie and Mallow aren't really battlers in the traditional sense so them going out early was expected, and honestly would have went out during the battle royale if the writers didn't want all the main cast in the "real" part of the tournament.

I guess this generally does prove you can't be just an average battler to get into a league. Alola league had no requirements but even then a lot of the top 16 like Jessie/James especially lucked out making it in over other trainers. Kiawe took out a lot of powerful trainers in the prelims who probably would have made it over Lillie/Mallow and Jessie/James, and probably Alola Oak too.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:24 PM   #30
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Guzma's battle was remarkable because he basically channeled Paul, which was completely unexpected. Scizor was tanky yeah but that doesn't speak to how Guzma overcame a seemingly impossible situation.

I hope Hidoide evolves next week. I don't think she has a shot against Wobbuffet otherwise.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-14-2019, 06:29 PM   #31
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Ilima v. Gumza.

Round I is already pulling out all the stops. I'm disappointed at Shaymin though.

Here's hoping Poipole or Greninja return to wreck some havoc.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-15-2019, 06:12 AM   #32
precita
Boulder Badge

I find it ironic that if you compare just their first 130 episodes, Lana is already a stronger water pokemon trainer than Misty was in this same timeframe. 130 eps into the OS we were in Orange Islands where Misty was still fiddling around with a Staryu, a Psyduck she couldn't control, and a newly caught Poliwag. Here...Lana has a fully evolved water starter, a Z move, she tamed the legendary Kyorge, beat a totem pokemon, etc. I actually wouldn't mind if they make a special after SM ends with Lana traveled to Cerulean City for a rematch now that she has a fully evolved starter against her Gyarados.

Then again Kiawe is also a powerhouse compared to Brock at the same time. Although to be fair, everyone was terrible at battling in the OS. If you take away the nostalgia you realize Misty and Brock were barely above the level of early rookie Kanto Ash, and while Brock was very knowledgeable about pokemon and attacks, he was quite the poor battler. Pretty much every time we got to see Misty or Brock battle back in the original series, outside a few here and there, it was just to watch them lose. It really took all the way until May was introduced and they brought the Contests into the show to get good battles out of a companion for the first time, and even then there were the few contest wins she got cheaply, although she still had a lot of great ones.

Even though SM isn't about battling, I'd say on average all the SM characters have better battles than Misty/Brock did for practically their entire runs in the show.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON