Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 02-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Paperman

BORKED
hyperlink

Quote:
Introducing a groundbreaking technique that seamlessly merges computer-generated and hand-drawn animation techniques, first-time director John Kahrs takes the art of animation in a bold new direction with the Oscar®-nominated short, "Paperman." Using a minimalist black-and-white style, the short follows the story of a lonely young man in mid-century New York City, whose destiny takes an unexpected turn after a chance meeting with a beautiful woman on his morning commute. Convinced the girl of his dreams is gone forever, he gets a second chance when he spots her in a skyscraper window across the avenue from his office. With only his heart, imagination and a stack of papers to get her attention, his efforts are no match for what the fates have in store for him. Created by a small, innovative team working at Walt Disney Animation Studios, "Paperman" pushes the animation medium in an exciting new direction.
Plot: Beginning was fine. Middle was fantastic. Ending was silly and kind of killed it for me. ^^;

Spoiler: show
I quite liked the film for its "fantastical realism" when the protagonist is trying to get the girl's attention with the paper airplanes. But then the film decides to take a turn for the supernatural and has the paper airplanes, empowered by the purity of their sender's heart or the will of God or God only knows what, magically defy the laws of Nature and force this guy to go where they want him to go. To me, that killed the romance and the truer magic the film had had up until that point. It doesn't fill me with a good, happy feeling when the only reason this guy landed this girl was because MAGIC PAPER AIRPLANES. He didn't even want to go where they were taking him (as shown by his struggles on the train car). He was in effect the romance equivalent of a horse led to water. That's nowhere near as awesome as it would have been had the final paper airplane he sent ... settled down in front of her or her apartment ... she finds it ... it's stationary paper with his business address on it ... and she then goes there to find him. That would've been better. Not ... magic paper airplanes. >_<

I still liked the overall story though.

Animation: I'm not really sure what Disney is harping about with their "hand-drawn animation and computer animation brought together seamlessly for the very first time" claim, but never mind that. I don't care how it was made. I care how it looks. And the animation in this film looks amazing. Absolutely beautiful to watch. Just ... really, really great.

Apparently this short was shown in theaters before the main feature film of Wreck-It Ralph, which I know a lot of you went to see. But I didn't, and this was the first I'd seen this short, so *in before "THIS IS OLD!"*. Sharing it for those of you who've never gotten a chance to see it before ... and sharing it for those of you who have so you can enjoy it a second time.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I wouldn't say the ending killed it for me. The rest of it was way too good for it to be killed by something like that.

But then I'm a sucker for bitter/sweet stories so you don't have to listen to me. ._. (see: opening scenes of Up)
Old 02-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

I didn't care much for the style of the ending either.

The part where he was sitting next to the kid on the train though was cute.

Edit- Also I feel bad for the dude who...

...received one of the planes and got rejected.

The animation and music are quite pretty.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 02-05-2013 at 12:35 AM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

The animation is definitely gorgeous. I saw this before Wreck It Ralph and was quite impressed.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
Coolz8
Thunder Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Coolz8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
I didn't care much for the style of the ending either.

The part where he was sitting next to the kid on the train though was cute.

Edit- Also I feel bad for the dude who...

...received one of the planes and got rejected.

The animation and music are quite pretty.

Ditto~

--------
It would be best to confess as early as possible, to avoid any excess pain through excess attachment. Make sure you express yourself clearly, and no matter what the outcome may be, treat the other as you may treat a friend, applicable at such a stage in life.

--------

Coolz8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment