UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 10-13-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Rick and Morty

Rick and Morty is an adult animated science fiction comedy currently airing on Adult Swim. One part Back to the Future, one part Doctor Who, and one part Beavis & Butthead, the show is an interesting mix of the cute and the offensive, the childish and the adult ... it's pretty much like watching an R-rated, animated, modern re-imagining of Back to the Future.

About a year ago, a friend of a friend recommended this show to me. About six months ago, our mutual friend recommended it to me too. About three months ago, the show crossed the inflection point and it seems the entire Internet can't shut up about how awesome Rick and Morty is. Well, the other night I decided to go ahead and finally check the show out. Watched Episodes 1 and 2 that night. Watched 3, 4, and 5 last night. Just finished 6 and it was so wow (at the very end, pre-credits) that I had to stop what I was doing and come make this thread posthaste.

The show is definitely not suited to younger viewers. Substantial adult humor, both in degree and in frequency. But since 90% of UPN is adults anyway, it's okay!
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #2
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Ex-Admiral Insane
How coincidental that just last week a housemate of mine showed this to me and a mutual friend. Sufficed to say, we enjoyed it greatly and were immediately hooked. Have seen all episodes thus far and I can personally say I enjoy some of the more twisted (or adult) humour that is involved.
I'd recommend it to anyone who'd enjoy an adult cartoon that's...uhm..I'm going to have to figure out how best to describe this to make it stand out from things such as Futurama or Family Guy.

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Spoiler: show
Party:
Traitors:
Lost Souls:
Ex-Admiral Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #3
phoopes
Double Dragon

OOOOWEEE HOW'D YALL FEEL ABOUT THE SEASON 2 FINALE OOOOWEEEE
Old 10-14-2015, 02:33 PM   #4
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Ex-Admiral Insane
It was okay I guess. I can't say much more without divulging spoilers. Will edit them in later in a spoiler though. I personally preferred season 2 towards 1 overall.

EDIT: Had to remove something that was potential spoilery

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Party:
Traitors:
Lost Souls:
Ex-Admiral Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:18 PM   #5
deoxys
Fog Badge

FUCKING HELL YEAH MY TIME TO FUCKIN' SHINE

Okay so Rick and FUCKIN MORTY WOW. Great show. Amazing, even. About 6 months ago I tried watching the first episode and I was so ehhh about it. Couldn't do it. Didn't like Rick's intermittent burping (despite it all being improvised) - just thought it was meh.

But WOW was I fucking wrong. This show is genius. The humor is fantastic - I don't often find an animated comedy that actually makes me laugh, let alone one that makes me laugh this much. The writing is so damn good and the story is actually pretty great too. And the episodes that end with the "feels", my god. Yeah, you know what episodes I'm talking about. So great. So good. Wow. After S2E3 I had to sit back and just... take it in for a while and think about what just happened.

Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon are fantastic. And "Rixty Minutes" is one of the best episodes of any comedy I've ever seen.

I want to keep going on and on and gushing but my work break is over now so I'll have to continue later especially considering I want to talk about the S2 finale but HELL YEAH RICK AND MORTY

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just finished Season 1. (Eleven episodes.) It was good. Overall I'd say 8/10. Choice episodes are 9/10, and choice moments are 10/10.

Wish I had more to say. :\ It's a good show. It just ... also doesn't inspire me to discuss too much about it right now. Those of you who haven't seen what I've seen, I don't want to spoil. Those who have, what am I supposed to do? Regurgitate the plot at you?

I guess a few things I can think of to say ... (Spoilers thru S1 finale)

I don't mind Morty not getting Jessica, but it bothers me that Jessica dates / hangs out with a guy like Brad. In fact, the fact that she does hang out with a guy like Brad makes me want Morty not to get her. Morty deserves better.

I called the possibility of a timeline where Morty's the genius calling the shots. But with respect to S1E10, I:
  • bubbled that down in favor of Loser Rick being the villain
  • bubbled it back up but only if Evil Morty's Rick were Loser Rick; and since Loser Rick said he didn't have a Morty of his own initially and that the Council gifted him another Morty already, bubbled it right back down
Neither appeared to end up happening. Just straight up "Evil Morty's the one calling the shots; Loser Rick has no involvement."

The backstory for "wub-a-lub-a-dub-dub!" seemed contrived and after-the-fact, but it was also touching and lent Rick some sympathy which was nice.

Did Birdperson just sleep with a minor? O-o ^^;;
Old 10-16-2015, 06:24 PM   #7
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>Talon's last question
It's established that Tammy is 18 and a high school Senior.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:17 PM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just finished Season 2. To my surprise and delight, Rick and Morty never once had a bad episode. Every single one of its twenty-one episodes I would at least give a 6 out of 10 to. And the overwhelming majority I would give an 8 or a 9 to. Really great show. Now I get to play the Be Sad & Wait 1˝ Years Game along with everyone else.

(safe once thru S2E10)
I'm disappointed that they didn't revisit Evil Morty / "the Morty from the dimension where Morty's the one calling the shots" from S1E10. I thought for sure he'd show up again at least once in Season 2; and once I got to the seventh episode and still no Evil Morty, I became increasingly convinced he was being saved for the finale. I'm not disappointed with what we got in the finale. (Not entirely, anyway? A little disappointed Earth's now been Gintama'd and we have aliens and alien technology everywhere, but aside from that ...) I'm just disappointed that we didn't get an Evil Morty revisit this season, and I have to wait a year and a half for it.

Of the opinion that Birdperson isn't gone for good. Not to be confused with "isn't dead": he could very well be dead but still come back one way or another. Maybe one of his race's properties is a phoenix's ability to die and come back again over and over. Or it could even be Birdperson's own unique power. Maybe it'll be revealed that life-saving medicine was applied to Birdperson, the same as was applied to Jerry not but two episodes prior. (Don't forget: Jerry was even MORE badly shot than Birdperson was, and Beth explained that the wonders of modern space medicine meant he could be fixed as easily as changing a light bulb.) Maybe that particular Birdperson died and will stay dead but we'll get a new Birdperson who either arrives from another dimension or else who we join when we relocate to his dimension. Lots of possibilities. Regardless, I don't think we've seen the last of Birdperson. (One last thing: the wedding vows' emphasis on "I'm yours until I die" feels like something that was deliberately set in place for a future revisit, e.g. Birdperson kicks Tammy's ass citing that he's no longer hers because he's already died since making that wedding vow.)

Favorite episode this season was probably the car battery episode. My only complaint with it is that the writers conveniently decided to stop once we got back to our level of reality, ignoring the elephant in the room that our entire reality could also be somebody else's energy farm. Would've been really easy for Rick to confirm too: if he can invent a device that lets him go backwards from the white blobby alien's battery world to the white blobby alien's living world, then he should be able to apply the same rules of physics to exit our world and enter the world outside of our world -- if such a world is there at all. Failure to arrive there would all but prove that we're on the outermost level of existence, whereas successful arrival would prove that we're nothing more than a car battery to the being we call God. This one single complaint aside, I thought it was a fantastic episode on both fronts (the Rick & Morty subplot as well as the Summer & Rick's ship subplot).

The novelty was fresher with Season 1, so part of me feels like Season 1 was "better." But the solidness of Season 2 was greater than that of Season 1, so part of me feels like Season 2 was "better." So I guess they were both better.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:44 AM   #9
kawaiiconcept
Soul Badge

HOLY SHIT I LOVE THIS SHOW
I was a bit hesitant going into it 'cus I don't watch adult cartoons
BUT IT'S SO GOOD
and it's killing me that the next season isn't out yet.
my favorit epsode so far has been "get scwifty"
or the mr. meeseeks one

Thanks to my best friend Missingno Master for the banner
óÓŇň furry, witch, and pansexual.
Little (little age of 2-4)
Hater of loss meme
Little (space): someone who goes to a younger sense of mind to deal with stress and anxiety.
crazy in love with my boyfriend AcendedDailga
kawaiiconcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:56 PM   #10
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

Roommate turns on Cartoon Network to watch Samurai Jack.

It's Rick and Morty Season 3.

Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:23 AM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I enjoyed the episode. I think I would be equally fine with it being the real S3E01 or an April Fool's fake.

Some of the fans on Team Fake Premiere are pointing to the fact that Rick tells the interrogator he is going to leave three things behind in his old brain and that one of those things is his "improv" skills or some such. They then point out that there are some running gags or clues throughout the episode which suggest Rick still has his improv skills and thus is still in the prison being mind-interrogated. The gags/clues include:
  • "the Rule of 3", and the fact that a number of the recurring gags are repeated exactly three times in the episode
  • the use of toy props, and Morty's fake gun being a prominent such a one
But at the same time, I have to wonder myself that if Rick is transferring his mind from the bug brain back into a Rick brain ... wouldn't that be analogous to overwriting 97% of a 100%-filled hard drive with your data and then there's 3% of "native data" still there untouched? And if Rick does things smartly enough, couldn't he pick and choose which 97% to overwrite and which 3% to inherit? And couldn't that 3%, for example, include the abandoned improv skills?

So I dunno. Fans will be fans, and are reading into this way so much right now. We'll just have to wait and see whether it's the real S3E01 or not.

A few thoughts ...

I like that we're getting more Tammy and Bird Person. We'll have to see where it goes, of course.

Mixed feelings on the fact that we can no longer think of Rick as body-wise being Rick C-137. (And the "fake" flashback suggests that he might not even mind-wise be originally from the C-137 universe.) Like ... Morty is still C-137 Morty, Summer & Co. are still "new base of operations" Summer & Co. ... but Rick? Rick's hopped from body to body to body and there's no telling whose body he's in now. (Last number we had heard was D-99 for the one Rick, but he's dead now along with so many others ...)

Mixed feelings on the revisit to C-137 Earth and seeing what's become of Morty's parents and sister there. Seems like a stark contrast with how Rick Potion No.9 originally ended. ("I'm finally happy. ")

Mixed feelings on what appears to be the episode's justification for why/how Earth will go back to being an Earth familiar to us, i.e. one that isn't overrun with aliens and ruled by a Galactic Federation. Like ... it's clear we needed a reset, but I feel like the hard reset (e.g. a jump to a new dimension which we can call home) was the better choice here. There are too many loose ends with insisting we remain in Summer's home dimension. Like, how would life suddenly go back to normal for all the school teachers and students at Morty's and Summer's school? Seems awfully fucking doubtful that it would ...

The episode, in classic Rick and Morty fashion, does a great job of balancing fast pacing with intelligibility. It was pretty easy to follow along every step of the way and yet the talking is fast-paced, the developments non-stop.

I really liked the flashback depicting the origins of the portal gun. I want it to be real, but there's a lot going against that interpretation now that Rick's gone and declared it as make-believe. Yes, it's tragic and messed up. But man, it would lend Dimension ?-??? Rick, i.e. our Rick, a hell of a lot of pathos if we knew he not only had invented the portal gun in a desperate bid to be reunited with his wife and daughter but that he was ultimately dissatisfied with what he found. Kind of like a Monkey's Paw sort of story. IIRC in the C-137 (and similar) timeline(s) Rick's wife is still very much alive, just divorced from him. And of course Beth is still alive. Yes, he chooses to live with Beth, but like ... it's a story worth exploring to show how/why Rick was reunited with the love of his life whom he'd thought he had lost forever, only to realize "it's not her " / "she's not mine", i.e. unable to shake the nagging fact from his brain that he's appropriated some other Rick's family, and he just can't be satisfied with that.

I liked that they left the identity of the bomb dropper vague. Mostly because -- I want the bomb dropper to have been not a Rick (including the Rick who we're supposed to be red herringed into thinking it was) but instead the Evil Morty from S1E09.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #12
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post

I liked that they left the identity of the bomb dropper vague. Mostly because -- I want the bomb dropper to have been not a Rick (including the Rick who we're supposed to be red herringed into thinking it was) but instead the Evil Morty from S1E09.
But here's the thing, Rick goes on to say he fabricated the entire scenario and that that didn't really happen. And just moments prior, he led his interrogator to believe that his wife was accidentally trapped in an unknown dimension after inventing the portal gun.

So we can't really know what's actually the truth. Either one could be, or Rick could be bullshitting about both of them.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #13
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

The episode Ricklantis Mixup is possibly one of their best episodes.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:13 PM   #14
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Agreed. Season 3 has been pretty mixed so far but goddamn does Roiland show his vocal depth and range in it and it's genuinely interesting to see the society on the Citadel.

And of course, that ending reveal...

I can't believe it!

MERMAIDS HAVE VAGINAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:31 AM   #15
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Pickle Rick will forever be my favourite, I doubt they will ever make an episode I like more. I had like no hope for it at the start of the episode but then it was suddenly blew me away which is what made it so great.

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:28 AM   #16
RichardS
Pokemon Trainer

Along with The Simpsons is my favourite one
RichardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 12:10 AM   #17
Womenven
Pokemon Trainer

Morty is Rick's best friend and sidekick. He is always ready to help Rick out with any problem he may encounter. Morty is a typical teenager who loves video games, anime, and girls.
Womenven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 02:02 PM   #18
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I haven't watched this but the two scientist guys cameo'd on Half in the Bag and I didn't recognize them at first. I thought they were simply sci-fi dudes. Later I learned they were Rick and Morty.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment