UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 11-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Star Wars Episodes 1-3

Making a catch-all thread for the prequels. Figure it's better than making a catch-all thread for Star Wars since we'll probably want to keep Episode 7+ discussion separate from discussion of the past films. Figure it's also better than making a catch-all for Episodes 1 thru 6 since, duh, 5 is the one with the huge plot twist, the concern of which is Episodes 01 thru 03's domain. And I don't want to ask people to spoiler tag that most famous of plot twists, but neither would I like to see people being spoiled on it if they've still somehow managed to avoid the spoiler. If we make a catch-all Star Wars thread in the future, feel free to merge this thread into it, I don't mind.

So with that stated, feel free to discuss the following Star Wars things here:
  • Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
  • Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones
  • Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith
  • related products (games, books, merchandise, et cetera that have to do with the prequels)
As for a guideline on what to spoiler tag and what not to spoiler tag, let's just go ahead and say that:
  • anything from before Attack of the Clones hit theaters is fair game to use zero spoiler tags on. For now, I'm going to say that that includes any expanded universe stuff that was published by 2002 as well. (This includes books, video games, and so on.) So if you don't want to be spoiled on that stuff, catch up first and then check back in! If people don't like this, we can amend it to just be open season on the films and not the expanded universe material.
  • anything from Attack of the Clones on forward until Episode 7, it would be courteous if you'd either use a spoiler tag or else place a warning at the top of your post that you'll be mentioning spoilers from {blank}. Assume that there might be somebody who uses this thread who has seen Episode 1 but not 2 or 3 yet.
Once again, if you haven't seen the original three films (4, 5, and 6) yet, you should exit this thread. With that out of the way, have at!
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So, I'll admit: I made this thread for the express purpose of having a proper place to share this: the death of Jar Jar Binks. The video is making the rounds across the Internet right now and boy oh boy is it something. What that something is will vary from person to person. Here are my thoughts on it:

Spoiler: show
I don't understand. ^^; Is this an elaborate fan edit or is this crude footage from a deleted scene that was genuinely written and directed by George Lucas? If it's a fan edit, it's the most amazingly well-crafted fan edit I've ever seen in my life. Neeson and McGregor look and sound genuine. Jar Jar sounds genuine. The waterfall is inserted well. Everything is just remarkable if it's a fan edit. So remarkable, in fact, that it feels like it can't possibly be a doctored scene. That it has to have been real footage shot by George Lucas but dropped because of changes to the script. But this invites a whole mess of problematic questions if this is true.

First off, did Jar Jar in fact actually die? Killing Jar Jar off like this seems far too macabre for the classical Lucas. His stories fit in the pantheon of feel-good spacebusters like Flash Gordon and Star Trek: he isn't one to crack jokes at the expense of a character's life. Thus, it seems likelier that this was meant as a joke scene in which Jar Jar did not die -- in which it's soon after revealed that, per his amphibious nature as a Gungan, he managed to swim to safety just fine and meets back up with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan later on. Perhaps Lucas's staff then informed him, "George ... if this is meant to make Jar Jar seem like a funny cartoon rabbit to the kids, you miiiiiiiiiiight want to consider deleting it. It's a bit too grim. Even if you're planning to show that Jar Jar is a-okay like ten seconds later." But here's the thing: if Jar Jar was intended to live, and if the scene was meant to be a Looney Tunes-style bit of comedy, WHY WOULD LUCAS HAVE THE SHIP DELIBERATELY CRUNCH RIGHT INTO A ROCKY OUTCROPPING? Isn't that going too far? In fact, isn't that specifically there to convince us that Jar Jar has indeed died? That his Gungan amphibiousness shan't avail him? Weird.

Second, it's not really clear why Jar Jar would be so retarded as to stay put in the vessel. He sees Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan get out. He sees the rope. Why doesn't he just:
  1. follow them?
  2. get out on his own and, being a Gungan, swim to safety without need for the rope?
Why instead does he remain rooted to the cockpit and go tumbling over the waterfall with the ship? Weird!

Third, why don't Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan make any use of their Force powers to try and:
  1. rescue Jar Jar?
  2. prevent the ship from going over the edge of the waterfall?
If Yoda believes Luke can raise the X-Wing from the bog -- and keep in mind, Luke's just a Jedi Knight in training -- and if Yoda himself has absolutely no problem whatsoever lifting it, then why the hell can't Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan keep the not-waterlogged vessel from simply toppling over the edge? You're not even trying to lift it -- you're just trying to fight the current. (And if fighting the current is harder, then fine, fuck it: lift the damn thing out of the water.) Even if we want to argue "Well, the X-Wing was way lighter, waterlogged or not. Qui-Gon couldn't lift this on his own!" ... he's not on his own. He's got Obi-Wan right there with him. You're seriously saying then that the airy ship is twice as difficult to lift as one waterlogged X-Wing? C'mon, man. But perhaps craziest of all is the fact that they don't even try to lift Jar Jar into the air. They just let him topple over the edge with the ship and fall to his doom. What the fuck.

So yeah, there are so many problems with this scene which make me doubt it could be a deleted scene. But it's too well made to be a fan edit too! URGH, I'M SO CONFUSED! >_<

Hope you enjoy it. Would love to hear your thoughts.

EDIT: Mystery solved. And would you guess what it is? It's ...

... both! It's a fan-edit of a deleted scene I completely forgot existed. Gizmodo explains. The original deleted scene can be found here. This explains why everything looks so real with the actors (because it is) but why the scene ends the way it does (because that's the only bit that's been edited). Makes perfect sense.

Last edited by Talon87; 11-07-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Mercutio
Banned

I liked the prequels. I recognise that they aren't great films but I also recognise that neither were the originals, really. The universe is well made but poorly coordinated and there's too many white men walking around a galaxy far far away.

As for Jar Jar, I do accept Lucas's argument that you need comic relief, but he's a little racist for my tastes.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Knee-slapping hilarious. The utter stupidity of the scene felt so genuinely Lucas, I was completely enchanted.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Wow. None of that scene made any real sense. Did they use that ship to go up the waterfall? Did they somehow drive it backwards from the river to that point they broke the surface? What was the point of the scene at all? And how did a tiny, half embedded arrow hold an entire ship from being swept away?

I'm so glad someone had Lucas cut that scene. And I wish the fan edited version was the real one.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

And, why could ducks swim on that waterfall's surface without trouble, but Qui-gon and Obi-wan had to pull with all their might to overcome the current?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #7
Loki

I didn't even see ducks lol.

Yeah, prior to Qui-Gon standing up, there was no current in that river. Suddenly they open it up and it's WATERFALL!
Old 11-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Prequels are bad. Going to try Machete viewing soon to see if that makes them better.

Star Wars is awesome.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #9
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Why does one build their city next to a waterfall anyway?

And lolz. That scene made all sorts of no sense.
Emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #10
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
The tragedy is that this prequel series could have been so good if George Lucas didn't mangle certain, key facets. Yes, I'm referring to his utter lack of an ear for dialogue. The romance subplot never had a chance to possibly float because every second word from Anakin and Padmé sounds like nonsensical drivel and/or forced clichés. >_>
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

One of my biggest disappointments with the prequels is that ... (spoilers through the end of Episode III)

they skimped on showing us the Clone Wars. One thing that popular prequels have in common is that they do a good job of showcasing the major events alluded to in the original works. For example, Fate/stay night makes occasional references to a fight that happened ten years ago near the Mion River. The references make this fight sound larger than life. They turn it into something you wish you could've seen for yourself. And then? The prequel, Fate/Zero, delivers. It shows fans just what this fight looked like. It's one battle in the franchise -- it takes place in-universe in less than twelve hours, probably closer to three or four -- and it gets roughly fifty minutes of screen time (not counting the lead-in). For me, one of Star Wars' equivalents to the Mion River battle was the Clone Wars. But where good prequels like Fate/Zero deliver, poor prequels like Star Wars' simply disappoint.

We first hear mention of the Clone Wars from Obi-Wan Kenobi in the very first film. He mentions them by name when he's telling Luke Skywalker about how he knew Luke's father, fought alongside him in the wars, and considered him a dear friend. He also tells Luke that Anakin was killed during this time period by Darth Vader. These details stay with viewers throughout the remainder of the film, as we first see Vader cut down Obi-Wan -- Luke's only-recently discovered tie to his deceased war hero of a father -- and then see Luke being pursued by Vader in the Death Star trench run. The stories of Anakin Skywalker carry over into the next film, The Empire Strikes Back, as Yoda asks Luke why he wishes to become a Jedi and Luke answers, "Well, mostly because of my father, I guess." Yoda then somberly replies, "Ahh... father. Powerful Jedi was he. Powerful Jedi." Viewers become intrigued by this statement, and while their initial focus is obviously on the mysterious green muppet -- "How does he know anything about the Jedi? :o" -- tucked away at the backs of their minds is this: that Yoda is corroborating Obi-Wan's stories to Luke, that Anakin Skywalker was indeed a capable Jedi. It makes us wonder, "How did he die? Did Vader shoot him down? Did they duel with lightsabers? What happened? " And then, at the climax of the film, Darth Vader tells Luke that he is his father. And viewers are just like "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA? " And now their imaginations are really running at a million miles an hour. How did he transform? Why did he transform? Lucas would later officially reveal that Vader's physical transformation was the direct result of the penultimate confrontation between Obi-Wan Kenobi and Vader, with Vader "falling into a molten pit of lava" or some such. Viewers just had to see that. And that, at least, Lucas did deliver on. There we did get our Mion River scene. Revenge of the Sith gives us a fifteen or twenty-minute scene on Mustafar, with an amazing lightsaber duel between Kenobi and Vader that is sadly tarnished (but happily not too badly tarnished) by frequent cuts to other scenes instead of just giving us one riveting, uninterrupted ten-minute fight scene. (Dammit, George! )

But what about the Clone Wars? Aye, there's the rub. The Clone Wars are pretty much cut out of the prequels altogether. Oh, of course they're not completely cut out. We do get a scene at the very start of Revenge of the Sith which ostensibly is a battle which takes place at the peak of the war. But where a three-hour battle got fifty minutes in Fate/Zero and a half-hour duel got some ten or fifteen minutes in Revenge of the Sith, this war which spanned several years gets ... all of fifteen minutes? And it's not even a very good scene? Lucas ends Attack of the Clones with the very beginning of the war ... and then like LIGHTNING he cuts to the turning point of the war at the start of Revenge of the Sith ... and then never shows us the war again. (And no: Obi-Wan's fight against Mecha McMechersen with the four lightsabers does not count.) WTF, man. Imagine if you were telling a story about a German war hero from WW2 who famously defected halfway through the war and fought for the British. Can you imagine if this retelling of his life omitted every single battle he had ever been in except for one uninteresting (but strategically significant) battle near the turning point of the war? You don't show us his early battles, you don't show us his actions which lead to him becoming a decorated war hero, you don't show us his final battles ...

I understand that Lucas could not hope to show every single event of the Clone Wars in just two two-hour films. But even the original trilogy made room for several major battles in the Rebel Alliance's war with the Galactic Empire. We had the first Death Star run, we had the battle on Hoth, and we had the joint battle on Endor's moon and the second Death Star run. By contrast, Episode I gives us a non-Clone Wars "battle" consisting of Anakin Skywalker taking out the Trade Federation's blockade (), Episode II gives us a non-Clone Wars battle on Geonosis, and Episode III gives us the opening battle (Yay! Our first Clone Wars battle! ), Obi-Wan's fight versus Grievous, Anakin killing a bunch of tots, and Palpatine ordering the clone soldiers to pwn a bunch of "Durr-hurrrrrr? " Jedi Masters. It just ... *sigh* ... it wasn't what I was hoping for. I was hoping to see the story of the Clone Wars, of Anakin and Obi-Wan fighting side by side ... I wanted to see their friendship truly grow ... I wanted to see memorable evidence of Anakin Skywalker's status as a war hero ...

I wanted to see the Clone Wars.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #12
Schadenfreude
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Schadenfreude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
One of my biggest disappointments with the prequels is that ... (spoilers through the end of Episode III)

they skimped on showing us the Clone Wars. One thing that popular prequels have in common is that they do a good job of showcasing the major events alluded to in the original works. For example, Fate/stay night makes occasional references to a fight that happened ten years ago near the Mion River. The references make this fight sound larger than life. They turn it into something you wish you could've seen for yourself. And then? The prequel, Fate/Zero, delivers. It shows fans just what this fight looked like. It's one battle in the franchise -- it takes place in-universe in less than twelve hours, probably closer to three or four -- and it gets roughly fifty minutes of screen time (not counting the lead-in). For me, one of Star Wars' equivalents to the Mion River battle was the Clone Wars. But where good prequels like Fate/Zero deliver, poor prequels like Star Wars' simply disappoint.

We first hear mention of the Clone Wars from Obi-Wan Kenobi in the very first film. He mentions them by name when he's telling Luke Skywalker about how he knew Luke's father, fought alongside him in the wars, and considered him a dear friend. He also tells Luke that Anakin was killed during this time period by Darth Vader. These details stay with viewers throughout the remainder of the film, as we first see Vader cut down Obi-Wan -- Luke's only-recently discovered tie to his deceased war hero of a father -- and then see Luke being pursued by Vader in the Death Star trench run. The stories of Anakin Skywalker carry over into the next film, The Empire Strikes Back, as Yoda asks Luke why he wishes to become a Jedi and Luke answers, "Well, mostly because of my father, I guess." Yoda then somberly replies, "Ahh... father. Powerful Jedi was he. Powerful Jedi." Viewers become intrigued by this statement, and while their initial focus is obviously on the mysterious green muppet -- "How does he know anything about the Jedi? :o" -- tucked away at the backs of their minds is this: that Yoda is corroborating Obi-Wan's stories to Luke, that Anakin Skywalker was indeed a capable Jedi. It makes us wonder, "How did he die? Did Vader shoot him down? Did they duel with lightsabers? What happened? " And then, at the climax of the film, Darth Vader tells Luke that he is his father. And viewers are just like "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA? " And now their imaginations are really running at a million miles an hour. How did he transform? Why did he transform? Lucas would later officially reveal that Vader's physical transformation was the direct result of the penultimate confrontation between Obi-Wan Kenobi and Vader, with Vader "falling into a molten pit of lava" or some such. Viewers just had to see that. And that, at least, Lucas did deliver on. There we did get our Mion River scene. Revenge of the Sith gives us a fifteen or twenty-minute scene on Mustafar, with an amazing lightsaber duel between Kenobi and Vader that is sadly tarnished (but happily not too badly tarnished) by frequent cuts to other scenes instead of just giving us one riveting, uninterrupted ten-minute fight scene. (Dammit, George! )

But what about the Clone Wars? Aye, there's the rub. The Clone Wars are pretty much cut out of the prequels altogether. Oh, of course they're not completely cut out. We do get a scene at the very start of Revenge of the Sith which ostensibly is a battle which takes place at the peak of the war. But where a three-hour battle got fifty minutes in Fate/Zero and a half-hour duel got some ten or fifteen minutes in Revenge of the Sith, this war which spanned several years gets ... all of fifteen minutes? And it's not even a very good scene? Lucas ends Attack of the Clones with the very beginning of the war ... and then like LIGHTNING he cuts to the turning point of the war at the start of Revenge of the Sith ... and then never shows us the war again. (And no: Obi-Wan's fight against Mecha McMechersen with the four lightsabers does not count.) WTF, man. Imagine if you were telling a story about a German war hero from WW2 who famously defected halfway through the war and fought for the British. Can you imagine if this retelling of his life omitted every single battle he had ever been in except for one uninteresting (but strategically significant) battle near the turning point of the war? You don't show us his early battles, you don't show us his actions which lead to him becoming a decorated war hero, you don't show us his final battles ...

I understand that Lucas could not hope to show every single event of the Clone Wars in just two two-hour films. But even the original trilogy made room for several major battles in the Rebel Alliance's war with the Galactic Empire. We had the first Death Star run, we had the battle on Hoth, and we had the joint battle on Endor's moon and the second Death Star run. By contrast, Episode I gives us a non-Clone Wars "battle" consisting of Anakin Skywalker taking out the Trade Federation's blockade (), Episode II gives us a non-Clone Wars battle on Geonosis, and Episode III gives us the opening battle (Yay! Our first Clone Wars battle! ), Obi-Wan's fight versus Grievous, Anakin killing a bunch of tots, and Palpatine ordering the clone soldiers to pwn a bunch of "Durr-hurrrrrr? " Jedi Masters. It just ... *sigh* ... it wasn't what I was hoping for. I was hoping to see the story of the Clone Wars, of Anakin and Obi-Wan fighting side by side ... I wanted to see their friendship truly grow ... I wanted to see memorable evidence of Anakin Skywalker's status as a war hero ...

I wanted to see the Clone Wars.
I agree with the vast majority of what you said. As a fan of ROTS, I strongly recommend everybody to read the novelisation of ROTS: it goes into the tantalising details of Anakin's thoughts during that tumultuous period. Including during that transformative scene.

And yes,
we need more bloody explorations of the Clone Wars. Fans may say "oh, that's why we have a Clone Wars television show", but personally, I would've preferred to learn about Aayla, Ventress, and the rest of them during the film trilogy. More frustratingly, Lucas could've plausibly covered the Clone War saga, if he hadn't invested monumental silos of time on the prosaic love story. :P
Schadenfreude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
Mercutio
Banned

Of course he made up for it by then creating not one but two (completely contradictory) Clone Wars TV shows.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Technically he only commissioned the first one, which actually aired between Episodes II and III and took you right up to the very start of III.

Then he decided to make one of his own which trampled all over it.

Clone Wars >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Clone Wars
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #15
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Never saw either one. Also ...

(conceptual spoiler thru the end of the prequels)

I don't really buy the argument raised by fans of either Clone Wars TV series that it's okay that Lucas omitted the wars from his prequel film trilogy because the Expanded Universe materials cover it. The Clone Wars are not only the sort of thing that I expected to see in the films proper but the sort of thing which ought to have been in the films proper.

Obviously, that's my opinion, not a fact. And I don't intend to force it on any other fans, including fans of the TV series and books and such. But yeah, that's how I feel about the situation. I don't like it!
Old 11-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #16
Mercutio
Banned

I generally agree, Talon. I have two political degrees now and I still can't fathom why he thought to have the plot of his first one revolve around a trade embargo.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #17
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You bringing that up leads me to want to link an oldie but a goodie: Red Letter Media's review of The Phantom Menace. (And for those who may never have seen it before and would prefer to watch it on YouTube, here's the link to that site as well. 4.97 million views and counting! ) It's still probably the best analysis I've ever seen on why we love the original trilogy but not the prequels, on what makes the originals work and why the prequels, which lack many of these elements, fail so hard. I just wish the review didn't have the eccentric dark humor with the psychotic serial killer stuff. If those bits could all be cut out, I feel like these reviews would be required viewing in every single high school English curriculum. (Even with the psycho segments, I feel like it should still be required viewing for every film & theater major in colleges across the English-speaking world.)
Old 11-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #18
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I'd forgotten how much I love this review.

My favourite is the Protagonist breakdown and at the end he says 'Also they might get the girl as the icing on the cake'. Cut to John McClane kissing his wife, Peter Parker kissing Mary Jane, and... Charlie Bucket hugging Willy Wonka.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #19
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
My favourite is the Protagonist breakdown and at the end he says 'Also they might get the girl as the icing on the cake'. Cut to John McClane kissing his wife, Peter Parker kissing Mary Jane, and... Charlie Bucket hugging Willy Wonka.
A personal favorite of mine too. I always look for it, every time!
Old 01-12-2016, 12:35 PM   #20
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Some problems with Episode III of Star Wars ... Spoiler tagging for the three people who still haven't seen it.

Problem 1.
Quote:
Yoda: "Do or do not. There is no try."
Obi Wan: "Only a Sith deals in absolutes."

Just gonna put that out there.
Quote:
The sentence "Only a Sith deals in absolutes" is an absolute in itself.
Yeah ... ^^;

Problem 2.
Quote:
"Its over Anakin, I have the high ground." -Obi Wan

Pretty sure Darth Maul had the high ground too, look how that turned out.
Good point! ^^;;

Problem 3.
This one's my own independent observation. I was just thinking ... how/why does Obi-Wan justify not putting an end to Anakin on Mustafar? Of course people will want to argue things like "hindsight bias is 20/20" and "he left Anakin for dead," but that only answers why he might not have terminated a threat to the galaxy. There's a far greater problem with Obi-Wan's decision to walk away from the immolating Anakin: he decided against putting Ani out of his misery. O-o; What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu ... I get that "Anakin" is dead and all, but ... isn't that extraordinarily cruel and remorseless to leave "Vader" to die like that when you could just, I dunno, walk right on over and decapitate him? Put an end to his suffering. Wouldn't that be the Jedi thing to do? Put down a lame horse, put down a sick dog ... put down a wretched murderer who is in anguish? Isn't it more a Sith-like thing to be all, "You deserve to die in pain." "I could put an end to you right now, but ... no, I think I'll just ... go ahead and walk back over to my spaceship. Let the flames slowly consume your body. Bye~"
Old 01-12-2016, 12:46 PM   #21
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Silly, he left him behind so the original trilogy could happen.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:40 AM   #22
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I suppose this is the best place for this: Disney hosted a 40th anniversary panel this week, and George Lucas is a prominent part of it. I'd recommend that anyone interested in Star Wars check it out, at least through the first fifteen minutes or so. It's a nice chance to see the white, the black, and the oceans of gray complexity that are George Lucas and his legacy.

One of the things which Lucas's fans celebrate him for is his vision. One of the things which most prequel critics will point to is that Lucas had no one to rein him in. This paradox is brought to the fore when one of Lucas's students, a young man who directed Star Wars Rebels, shares a story that goes something like this, greatly paraphrased:
"George shared many valuable lessons with me. But perhaps the most important lesson of all was, he taught me, 'Don't be afraid.' When you're working on something as big as Star Wars, it's easy to get afraid of messing it up. And what George taught me was, don't be afraid. Do what it is that you're thinking would be great to do."
And then George joins in with, again paraphrased:
"Yes, I think it's important that no decision be made out of fear. When people would tell me that I couldn't do something, I would tell them, "We're going to do that thing." It would fire me up. I welcomed the challenge. I wouldn't take "No" for an answer. Don't be afraid."
And like ... I think this is a really fascinating window into the complexity that is the situation with Lucas and the prequels. Because on the one hand, you have a message here that sounds really wholesome and productive, a philosophy which celebrates innovation and imagination. But then on the other hand, you can see the shadows in every whisper that leaves George's lips here -- the shadow of the spectre that is unfettered creation, the spectre which many blame for the prequels' numerous faults. "Lucas surrounded himself with yesmen," says one person. "What made the original Star Wars films great was that Lucas had people in positions to be able to tell him 'No' and who did tell him 'No'," says another person.

It's easy to imagine a Fox executive telling Lucas in 1975 that light swords were a stupid idea and that he should ditch them from his script. Lightsabers! Our beloved lightsabers. But then at the same time, on the other hand, it's so easy to imagine someone on the Episode I team telling him that midichlorians were a bad idea. Or that it was dumb to have C-3PO be created by Anakin. Or that perhaps Darth Maul should have been kept around, at least through the second film. Or that maybe, just maybe, Original Episode I Yoda looked disastrously bad.

Yeesh!

If nothing else, this dialogue illustrates the dangers in black-and-white thinking when it comes to art and creativity. Is it always for the best to never take a "No" from somebody? Well no, clearly not. But at the same time, every time you take a "No" and abandon some crazy idea you had is a chance, a possibility, that you were about to make the next Star Wars.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:51 AM   #23
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It was announced today (yesterday?) that after the turmoil at Disney, JJ Abrams is returning for Episode IX.

A lot of people are buttpissed at this. After the treatment of Trek, many older fans have clued in that the new movies are not soft reboots so much as they are soft remakes, which has pushed them to the brink: fans are clamouring for Lucas to return, even if the movies he made are of the same quality as Episodes I-III. Someting unimaginable after RLM's cutting the suspension of disbelief.

Oh, but it's too late for that...far too late...
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-17-2017, 09:45 PM   #24
Loki

Almost all sequels of a famous IP that either didn't need a sequel or have sat too long for one are pretty much remakes. Modern 'Hollywood' thinking banks entirely on nostalgia and references and hardly ever invents anything new.

Bringing back George Lucas isn't the key to making a good Episode IX. It's like literally one of the worst things that can happen.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment