UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 06-29-2017, 11:59 AM   #7526
Talon87
時の彼方へ

For the record, I think Haruhi is amazing, an easy 10 out of 10, but didn't want to direct them to it so ... soon. ^^;; It's going to set the bar so high that every other school-based anime they ever watch is going to fall short.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:07 PM   #7527
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Note: Just be sure that if you do watch Haruhi, you should watch it in TV broadcast order.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:28 PM   #7528
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I was kind of with you Talon but with Madoka already a belt notch, there's no helping it for some things.

BPK told me Madoka was a "starter anime" and I totally disagree, since the whole point of it upsetting expectations is you're already familiar with the mahou shoujo genre. It would be like watching Martian Successor Nadesico without having seen any super robot shows prior, not even the Megazord in Power Rangers.

When most folks saw Evangelion, they at least had Dragonball Z, Pokemon and Sailor Moon under their belts. So there was at least opportunity for one to get an idea of what anime is, and then have that idea torn to shreds by Evangelion. Madoka as the #2 is like...well, it's not a childhood I envy!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:46 PM   #7529
McSweeney
Soul Badge

You're right that it helps to have some familiarity with the magical girl genre, but I figured that she must have at least seen an episode of Sailor Moon at some point in her life. I say Madoka is something good for newbs to watch simply because it has tons of anime "cool" factor to get someone addicted. It's got flashy visuals, nice music, plot twists, and it's 12 episodes long so it doesn't require a big time investment.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #7530
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So I just realized that Made in Abyss has been scheduled for a summer release. Oh boy.

This is a pretty evil manga. It starts out like Cave Story but ends up going full Doom. I liken the character designs to those from Mitsudomoe having to fight rabid Evangelions and Geass-style Zero's. It looks to have solid production values too. Pity I can't watch it right away!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-08-2017, 10:17 PM   #7531
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Holy shit. Netflix's Castlevania is sick. The animation is incredibly beautiful, very Vampire Hunter D level, but more modern. The plot is a bit video game-y, but still pretty good. It's also only 4 episodes at roughly 25 minutes. But season 2 has already been confirmed. If you got Netflix, watch it.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:36 AM   #7532
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

So a couple nights ago I saw this YouTube ad for a Korean webcomic called Bastard, and immediately laughed at how ridiculous the premise sounded. I went and checked it out just for amusement, and...

...Turns out the story is completely different than what the PV suggests. I guess you could the say the false advertising worked in that regard...?

At any rate, what it's really about is the son of a serial killer who was forced to act as an accomplice from a young age, but fell in love with a poor girl who saved his life, which of course makes her a target. It started to really remind me of DCAU TimSteph as he struggles to protect her/pursue a normal, healthy relationship, and is scared to tell the truth since he’s afraid of going to jail/her seeing him as a monster even though she says things like “I’ll always be on your side” and “You’re not a bad guy. [] If you become a bad guy then I’ll smack you.”

…And then halfway through this happened:

I'm dying. (I swear Batman keeps showing up everywhere I least expect it. OTL)

This was honestly the best Birthday present I could find though lmao. Stayed up to 6AM to finish it (even though I had work at 9 in the morning on Saturday ^^; ). It's pretty fucked up but kinda sweet at the same time? *is a terrible person* *shot*
Old 07-09-2017, 08:47 AM   #7533
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The Batman thing actually is disappointing to me. Every night I patrol Wal-Mart and I see:

1. Stuff related to the 1960's Batman
2. Stuff related to Batman: The Brave and the Bold
3. Stuff related to the Bruce Timm/DCAU Batman
4. Stuff related to Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight
5. Stuff related to Batman v. Superman
6. The LEGO Batman Movie

Holy identity crisis, Batman! Could DC be that bereft of ideas that they need to advertise six different incarnations of Batman at once?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Holy shit. Netflix's Castlevania is sick. The animation is incredibly beautiful, very Vampire Hunter D level, but more modern. The plot is a bit video game-y, but still pretty good. It's also only 4 episodes at roughly 25 minutes. But season 2 has already been confirmed. If you got Netflix, watch it.
I haven't heard anything of this, did it just air and dropped a bunch of episodes at once?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-09-2017, 08:57 AM   #7534
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
The Batman thing actually is disappointing to me. Every night I patrol Wal-Mart and I see:

1. Stuff related to the 1960's Batman
2. Stuff related to Batman: The Brave and the Bold
3. Stuff related to the Bruce Timm/DCAU Batman
4. Stuff related to Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight
5. Stuff related to Batman v. Superman
6. The LEGO Batman Movie

Holy identity crisis, Batman! Could DC be that bereft of ideas that they need to advertise six different incarnations of Batman at once?
Oh I don't deny there's an oversaturation of Batman in American culture. (Frankly I'd much rather see an Aquaman film at this point than yet another Bat-film, much as I adore Batfleck.) I'm just shocked/impressed that he is prominent enough to make an impact in overseas media. Such a random cameo that completely caught me off-guard, yet suits me so perfectly. XP <3

And the LEGO Batman movie is great. Just watched this CinemaWins video for it last night, and he's pretty accurate in saying "WillBat" is the embodiment of every incarnation of Batman.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:50 AM   #7535
Loki

Netflix always drops all the episodes at once. It came out on Friday. It was entirely produced by Netflix, so there's no Japanese release or sub. It's purely on Netflix.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:20 AM   #7536
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I started a few new shows. These are the first episodes of anime I have watched in about two months.

Centaur no Nayami
Zzzzzzzzzzz......This show is BORING. Just your usual school shenanigans. The so-called "demi-humans" are just a bunch of people with wings or animal ears, plus a centaur. THAT'S IT! They mentioned merfolk for the next episode, and that's how far I'm going to watch this. This show isn't offensive or bad, it just doesn't do anything.

Made in Abyss
So they turned Ichigo Mashimaro into a shota adventure anime? Neato. There's alot of people acting like this show is grimdark, and I'm not sure why. Does it turn into that or something? I sure hope not. I like the show as-is. The atmosphere and feel are pretty nice. I can't say much for everything that's going on, but the show seems to have promise.

Princess Principal
This is another show with a fair amount of attention. It's kind of depressing. It's also really silly how it's about a group of high school girls who go around battling middle-aged guys. I don't even know why they're battling each other! Did the men refuse to give the girls their allowances? Is the girls' curfew too early? POSSIBLY! I think it's kind of an extreme reason to kill each other, but you know teenage girls, right?! Actually I didn't get much from this first episode. Like Made in Abyss, I am not fully sure what to think of this show yet. It doesn't seem to have the potential Made in Abyss does, but I guess something will happen?

Also Steam had Harmonia on sale for about $3, so I bought it. Now I just need to wait until I can get something to reliably play it on.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #7537
Connor
Flashbacker

Backing up what Yuki said I would heavily recommend Bastard to anyone. It's pretty gripping, and while it doesn't really say anything which will change your view on society or back flip your world view, it's a pretty enjoyable read from beginning to end.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:29 PM   #7538
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

I forgot to mention that Bastard did remind me of BokuMachi for the "murder mystery drama" aspect (even though the identity of the murderer is pretty much known off the bat - although there is a surprise second killer later on who serves as a source of speculation). Also abused kiddos/trying to save a girl the MC knows is going to die. ;(

It's certainly been a long time since I read/watched anything quite so messed up. XP ...It was kinda refreshing, in a way. ^^; *shot*
Old 07-15-2017, 12:21 AM   #7539
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

A couple of new shows!

Mahoujin Guru Guru
This looked cute, so I decided to give it a go. My first impression was right about it being really cute. Sadly, this show is a remake. While being a remake isn't always bad, being a remake comes with the so-called "humor" from that show's era. Older anime tends to think having VAs scream-talk really quickly is funny. It's not. It's obnoxious. So sadly, I don't see much value in this show besides being cute.

Kakegurui
This was off-handed recommended to me. Like I was told, it's an interesting and exciting show. Fun times with gambling is always nice. The main girl's madness is also pretty cool. If you want to know what this show is about, this is all you need to know (not really spoilers):
Spoiler: show

....yup. Why are disgusting rape faces a thing nowadays?
Old 07-18-2017, 06:08 AM   #7540
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Shinigami no Kiss wa Wakware no Aji

After many long years, I've finally gotten to the Kohaku H scene. It's painful and boring, so I had to use "My Glorious Days" from Rance 3 just to read it all. A lot of loop d' loop style rationalization for banging a loli, which drove me nuts in how depraved and cheesy it was.

My VN consumption has gone down in recent years. A big part of this is, when we were all just discovering the medium, the all-time greats were being translated and came first, creating a coloured view of what the average is like. Imagine what people who saw Evangelion early thought all anime was like. It's like that.

I don't want to condemn the title because H scenes are becoming the new food scenes for me. It's just that the themes are diluted by boring slice of life, tedious, uninteresting and mildly insulting H scenes, and long-winded dialogue. This is the average, it seems.

An H scene was what finally got me to drop Shikoku no Sharnoth after 6 years. Well, that and the steampunk justification for why things exist, like a steam-powered mobile phone.

Overall, it feels like I'm evolving again. Long ago, I banged the drum that if sex was supposed to be a normal part of a healthy romantic relationship, omitting such in H games was hurting the immersion. No more. Perhaps I've become conscious of an ever-growing sense of misanthropy, but I just can't care anymore. The romance feels so superficial even though the writer tried to justify it.

Panties dropped (or rather, were pulled off) after 4 weeks. One month. The romantic developments in Muv-Luv were 3 years in the making, even longer when you consider how old Takeru was. It all feels so post-modern!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-21-2017, 05:50 AM   #7541
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Shinigami no Kiss wa Wakware no Aji

Made some progress but this is cringe. Cringe, so sayeth the Wise Gengar. I stopped at the most recent H scene. I believe BBB told me there were three. I will kill this off today.

Dysfunctional Systems

Surprisingly, this has picked up. It has an animated OP. Even though it's an OEL, it's interesting. Which is a huge surprise. Suddenly, I feel motivated to rec this to BBB. It was so slow and annoying at first but with an actual non-stupid plot, I can handle this.

Courage. That's what I need for this next week or so.

おれの勇気わ...死なない!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-27-2017, 05:03 PM   #7542
deoxys
Fog Badge

Three things.

1. Re: CREATORS is fucking great. First episode, I quipped to someone that Selesia is a "store-brand, bargain bin Asuna". Ten episodes later, I told the same person that I was wrong - Asuna was a "store-brand, bargain bin Selesia". Great show, very interesting and unique story.

2. Rarely do I give anime 10/10 - to me, an anime must be an absolute masterpiece in every single category. Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (aka Your Lie in April) fits that description for me. It is a perfect 10/10. Period. Marathoned in three days - what an absolutely soul-crushing beautiful, phenomenal show. Story, animation, art direction, soundtrack, character development, pacing, everything was on point.

3. Youjo Senki (Saga of Tanya the Evil) is also fantastic. Only a few episodes in, but I love it.

So that's where things stand right now in the weeb life of Deo.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:04 PM   #7543
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

That's not a very weeb life, but it's great to here you're enjoying stuff from the recent seasons! I have heard of Re:Creators but didn't pick it up because...well, I'm prejudiced against the title. With such a glowing recommendation I guess I have to annoy other people to watch it.

I still wanna write that YS topic...well, I have to summon my courage first.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-06-2017, 01:00 PM   #7544
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Ugh...Time flies when you're fixated on good vidya games. It's not that this is a bad year for anime, but it's a great year for games. I don't really want to watch anything. Some updates on shows.

Kakegurui
I kind of stopped this at episode 5. I started off pretty excited, but as each episode aired, I started feeling more and more disgusted by it. It's not just the horrible rape faces, but it's the attitude shift characters tend to take. Also all of the female characters just love making out with each other. The gambling hijinks haven't gotten any worse, but it's hard to overlook all of the ugly. Something about this show reminds me of BTOOM. It's nowhere near as bad as BTOOM.

Made in Abyss
This is the only show I'm keeping up with regularly. It's still a fun and entertaining show. It's kind of sad this will only cover a short portion of the story, and after 9 episodes, we still have yet to meet a character I was looking forward to.

Princess Principal
Another show I'm slacking on. It's not bad, and I'm still entertained when I do decide to watch an episode. I just don't have the motivation to watch it. I don't know if it means anything, but supposedly this is written by the person who wrote Geass.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:01 PM   #7545
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Little Witch Academia: So! Very rosy memories of this delightful little one-shot. I rediscovered the existence of an entire anime the other day, but here I am still not having seen the motion picture. So I decided it was high time I rectified that. Let's:
  • re-watch the original 25-minute short
  • watch the 50-minute movie
  • watch the 25-episode anime
The original short was so well received, people crowdfunded a ridiculous amount of money (over $600,000?) to help fund the creation of a better movie. I'm not sure if it's that the movie killed people's excitement for the TV show or if the show killed people's excitement on its own; but Yuki didn't give me the impression that the show was anything better than a 7/10; and bbb's last post about the show in this thread has the damning statement, "This show has lost its magic." Well damn. I sure hope that's not true. Because Little Witch Academia is magical, in more ways than one.

So I rewatched the short last night. It was good! Great, even. I remember the animation looking a lot better, but other aspects of the animation are simply phenomenal, some of the very best I have seen out of any studio in recent memory. I'd give full marks, 10/10, to the script writing, to the editing, and to the direction. Those three in tandem, it is remarkable how compact a story this is, fully told in 22 minutes to full satisfaction. Great characters. A lovely setting. It's just all around good. I can't imagine scoring this any worse than an 8/10, and I'm more inclined personally to give it the 9 or even the coveted 10. It's a really good tight little package.

Up next is the movie, Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:28 PM   #7546
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Little Witch Academia: Just finished watching The Enchanted Parade. Thoughts!

I enjoyed it. It wasn't quite as magical as the original production imo, but it was a wonderful second outing, and one typical of such second outings.

I had originally heard that the movie would focus more heavily on Shiny Chariot (and why she is where she is now), so I'm rather surprised that the movie has almost nothing to do with her whatsoever. But where the movie is lacking in Shiny Chariot, it is brimming with character development for Lotte. Admittedly I find her the least interesting of all the main characters, but it's good to have her be better developed.

If not development proper, we also had stuff for Sucy, Akko, and of course our three new girls. Rowdyruff, the Engineer, and Lady Munchalot. [/bbb] Admittedly I don't remember their names too well, and admittedly what we got from them was far shallower than what we got from Akko, Sucy, and Diana in the original video, but hey -- they're welcome new additions and hopefully they'll be better utilized in the TV show than they were here.

The animation continues to be one of those paradoxical "it looks underbudgeted yet at the same time it looks amazing" outcomes. It's hard for me to put into words. Perhaps the simplest way would be, "If you were to pause, any given screen would look unimpressive and low-budget; but when you unpause, the product in motion looks so much more alive and magical than anything else anyone else is making, it's so enchanting. " It convinces me that Trigger's team of animators really have a passion for animating, i.e. for the magic that happens when you take static pictures and flip them by super quickly. Other studios like P.A. Works or Kyoto Animation might be said to moreso have a team of illustrators vs. Trigger's team of animators. KyoAni and P.A. Works' works, which I do so adore, are so beautiful to look at ... but don't really do much spectacular in the motion department. And in their defense, they don't have to! The stories they tell, they don't require that sort of movement. But Little Witch Academia, man ... it's like I'm watching the love child of Harry Potter and Looney Tunes.

Kinda wish the movie would have better addressed Akko's appropriation of the holiday before we called it a day and rolled credits. Early in the film, characters like the headmistress(?) and Diana voice concerns that this holiday is meant to be one which reminds the muggles of the times when, in the Middle Ages, they used to hunt down witches. We see a montage of scenes where students from the academy are dunked repeatedly underwater, are tomatoed, etc. The idea seems to be, "We're going to do a mock re-enactment of the torture the witches suffered during the Middle Ages, not to make light of it but on the contrary to remind you muggles of it and to make sure we never let it escalate again past where it is now." If we were to make a real-world parallel example with the Holocaust, I guess it would be if like ... if you had a Jewish organization that put together a "festival" in which non-Jews pressed buttons and then Jews sitting above water tanks got dunked into the "gas chambers" (water tanks); or if you had a "pin the tail Star of David on the donkey Jew" area where young non-Jewish children, ages 5-7, run up to Jewish members of the organization and try to affix a velcro Star of David to their velcro-compatible fabric, or something. DARK! But pretty much the Holocaust equivalent parallel to what Little Witch Academia has us looking at here. Akko takes this idea ... and completely discards it, in favor of her own personal desire to advertise just how glorious witches are. What we get is a fun and delightful "festival" (air quotes) that the townspeople enjoy, but it ... isn't the Holocaust Remembrance Day witch trial remembrance day that the witches wanted it to be. Using my Jewish example above, it would be like if you had a young Jew ... who took a look at that Holocaust festival I just outlined ... and he said, "Y'know what? I have a better idea. Instead of 'gas chambers' and 'pin the Star on the Jew' ... WHY DON'T WE MAKE LATKES AND DREIDELS!? " And you could totally do that ... but ... you're appropriating someone else's holiday. ^^; So like ... I would have liked to have seen the film address that better. I would have liked for them to have said, "On the one hand, Akko, you were tasked with doing the Holocaust Remembrance Day festival and you didn't do it. So you've failed. .................. But on the other hand, what you gave us in exchange was dear. Soooooooooooo ... how about this ......... how about we say, you get to stay in school -- you're not expelled -- but instead of your festival replacing ours, how about we move yours to a different date next year, hmm? We'll do our traditional festival this time next year, but yours is going to become its own, different tradition that we'll do on a different day." Something like that. Doesn't even have to be exactly that. I just want the matter addressed. The movie ends too soon, and I have to wonder if it was because of budget.

I thought it was kinda weird that they decided to make Lotte "the gloomy one." A, isn't that already Sucy? B, if it isn't, wouldn't Sucy at least be the better fit? And finally C ... where was Lotte the least bit gloomy in the original short? I mean, admittedly she didn't have as much presence as Akko, Sucy, or Diana did, but like ... You know? ^^;

If I were to give LWA (the original short) a score of 8, 9, or 10 out of 10 ...
 ... then this one, LWA:TEP, I would give a score of either 7 or 8. It wasn't as good as its predecessor, but like its predecessor it was neither bad nor even average. Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade is without a doubt good. It's just not as good as the magical story that started it all.

One last thing I forgot to mention last post, and which I should probably mention before I get too far into the TV series ...

Did they ever declare what the room was where Akko found the Shiny Rod? The impression I got from it, I'm sure both last time as well as this time, was that it works something like this:
  • when an item becomes garbage to you, it goes here
  • when an item would be treasure to someone else, they will surely find it here
In other words ... it is the One-Man's-Trash-Is-Another-Man's-Treasure Room. And to be more specific:
  • for reasons not fully understood yet, Shiny Chariot retired, gave up on her act, became a teacher at Not!Hogwarts, and not only no longer had need of the Shiny Rod but even more tragically no longer wanted it ; thus, the rod winds up in this room, "along with all the other junk"
  • but to Akko, the Shiny Rod is the single greatest material treasure in the entire world; and thus, it would naturally be the item that she discovers when she enters this room
  • "Shiny Chariot's trash is Akko's treasure"
If this hasn't been confirmed already, then I guess I should go ahead and say "CALLING IT NOW! >O" to call it for that sweet, sweet UPN street cred. If on the other hand it has already been explained, then remind me, please: 'cause I don't recall them saying anything conclusive in the original short, and I just watched that yesterday! Nor did they say anything in the movie. (I know -- because I was paying close attention for it. )
Old 09-07-2017, 10:09 PM   #7547
Loki

My co-worker never saw/read Death Note, so he watched the new Netflix film version. I almost gouged out my own eyes. Don't watch it if you like having your eyes. It was the most American high school bullshit drama with all the best parts of Death Note cut out. The plot makes no sense and the characters are all stupid as fuck. Even the geniuses Light and L are boiled down to angry teenagers and the movie ends at a big confrontation as Homecoming Dance. Really?
Old 09-07-2017, 11:34 PM   #7548
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Dang Talon, I watched The Enchanted Parade so long ago I forgot I even watched it until I read your review and a lot of stuff came back.

@ Loki

I was told the black guy who played L was pretty good. The only complaint people had with that portrayal...why was L a black man?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-08-2017, 01:01 AM   #7549
Loki

That was everyone's opinion while he was at the Death Note panel and maintained L's mannerism, but in the movie he's still pretty awful, including L.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:57 AM   #7550
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Isn't it hilarious how Americans cannot help but screw up Japanese works? Ask Michael Bay - it's easy as pie. I heard the GITS movie was pretty terrible too.

The sad part is the more faithful adaptions or closer to inspiration titles - like Astro Boy, Speed Racer and Pacific Rim - all did terribly at the box office. It's like Americans are still racist after World War II or something!

Incidentally, this is something from your neck of the woods. I read the Godzilla v. Marvel cross-over comics and they were pretty good. Godzilla owned The guy who wrote it was either a 20th Century Weeaboo or a sensible man who realized that you don't even need Burgerzilla to recognize that the King of the Monsters is horribly overpowered. Godzilla took the Avengers AND Fantastic Four to town and it was cool.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime