UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 04-17-2016, 10:53 PM   #1
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
Do We Live Only To Avoid Suffering?

So this is being written rather spur of the moment and I'll probably live to regret posting it as it's likely stupid but sense when has that stopped me?
———————————————

Recently just now I had a mental conversation with myself trying to understand why suicide is a thing (even outside of humanity) when in theory the goal of all things is to survive and and spread with suicide going completely against the former by personally ending ones own survival.

But then the idea struck me: Maybe the living don't hold survival as a base desire but rather TO AVOID SUFFERING.

Thinking deeper every part of humanities general way of life seems to convene on this one thing. We eat to avoid feeling hungry, we stay safe to avoid pain, we breed/make friends/seek partnership to surround ourselves with those we think might further us in this goal. We even seek leaders and Gods to put or feel like there is this extra layer of protection both from external sources and our own error.

If all that is true then perhaps suicide is mearly the action taken when something or someone sees life itself as suffering and seeks to escape it.

If you made it this far please share your thoughts.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:03 PM   #2
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

I personally agree with your sentiments, Zelphy, in that we as humans pursue the avoidance of suffering. We've seen countless wars in history where the goal is "end the suffering of our people + reclaim what should be ours + etc." The harsh reality of that is that we impart suffering upon others to end our own suffering. It's a really vicious cycle.

Spoiler: show

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:58 PM   #3
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I've always thought that the meaning of life for any atheist should be to maximize pleasure while minimizing suffering. Therefore, if suffering far outweighs the pleasure, and the person sees no way that they can fix this situation, suicide is the best option.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:06 AM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Life doesn't have meaning. It is. Meaning is a human concept ascribed to "stuff". You basically have to assign your own meaning to life.

Suicide, to me, looks like something that only occurs in higher-cognates, especially humans. In fact, it pretty much only happens in humans, which suggests to me it's sapience overriding the biological imperative to survive.

I know that people who consider suicide are either not aware of the value of their life (are very young) or their awareness of that value is clouded (usually by things like emotion). I know of a case where a girl tried to kill herself via OD because she was dumped by her boyfriend.

I don't want to put it like this, but as a child living to me was closer to a "video game" awareness in the sense I was rarely aware of my own mortality. Like the person who grows up in peacetime and craves war, that naiivety would cause people to underestimate their own value of living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelphon
But then the idea struck me: Maybe the living don't hold survival as a base desire but rather TO AVOID SUFFERING.
But what of living organisms that are too primitive to have nerve cells? Those organisms, still, fight to survive and reproduce. So I don't think it's a matter of suffering for them.

As an aside, I think suffering/pain is far more integral to life than the opposite. You feel, you are constantly reminded that you are alive. Lack of sensation is closer to death.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc