Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 07:23 AM   #1226
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Re: big bad birtha's suggestion box

;_;

I...was driven to tears watching Macross Frontier. A deep sadness that I will not live long enough to see the future in the age of space exploration.

Really...I was overwhelmed.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #1227
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

Ok, finished my anime list. Now all I have to do is the (much smaller) manga one and my status is updated!

And wow, BPK, you got past episode 08 of GL. What did you think of that? Perhaps you'll like the show better now that the "1970's" Tom Sawyer arc is out of the way.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-03-2008, 07:49 PM   #1228
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Well it seems my opinions don't count according to the anime status thread, but for what it's worth, VGM sets the standard for Obnoxious Huge Sig at UPN right now, and it's not even that bad. No need to go cutting out all the info in yours!

*munch munch* | FB Profile
Old 01-03-2008, 08:08 PM   #1229
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosuser
Well it seems my opinions don't count according to the anime status thread, but for what it's worth, VGM sets the standard for Obnoxious Huge Sig at UPN right now, and it's not even that bad. No need to go cutting out all the info in yours!
But look at how sexy-cute it is right now! ^-^ It's a nice trim little package with all the relevant info -- an attractive image, a link to the anime status post, a link to my FB post, and a link to what the image in my sig is all about. Makes sense, no?

And your opinion does too count, but you're not often in here. O_o You have been the last week or two, but ... well, what do I know, maybe you've been here a bunch since I've been gone. Go ahead and post your post in there, too. The only reason I put that snobby-sounding request up at the end of the post was because I saw Zora reading in this forum last night, and the last thing I wanted was Zora and other random people to post their posts at the top of the page when (no offense) they never talk anime with us ever. In other words ... I wanted some sort of seniority to accompany the thread, and the seven members I listed are "the most senior regular posters" of Kuno's anime forum who are still here. (rp is gone, you don't post here much, Jaxel is gone, etc.)

So yeah, by all means, post. We've only got two of the seven I listed left anyway, and I don't think either would begrudge you getting a post in before them.

That's also why I said people should feel free to ask me about post deletion -- in case they want my post to be lower (for whatever reason), or if we all decide we want so-and-so's post to be the very top one, or if they (the requester) would prefer to have theirs be the lowest on the list, etc. I'm really rather flexible to member requests and how members want to use those posts. Like I said, make 'em as big as you want or as small as you want. Colorful or monochrome. Anime only or anime & related things. So on and so forth. Have at it. Just no sigs, no attachments (in-post supported filetypes being loaded from offsite are fine), and of course only post once. Discussion and such should take place in other threads, and BBB's thread is our de facto "Misc Anime Disc" thread, i.e. "our anime chatroom."
Old 01-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #1230
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Hehe, I'm just poking fun at how you won't get much public response in your thread if they can't post until nobs and lindz choose to participate (if ever)! However, you are correct in assuming that I am not a hardcore anime watcher. My latest anime trends are:

Watching some Ranma½ every few days to help me get to sleep.

Watching Kaiji when possible; have seen up through episode 8.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
Old 01-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #1231
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You must not have read closely, then. It says (and has always said) that I want people to hold off replying for "48 hours"; after 48 hours have passed, they're free to reply before Namek and Lindsay (and you), the remaining 2 (now 3) on the list.

In fact, my intention since last night when I wrote the thread has been to erase that edit note once it is no longer relevant, as:
a) there's no point in keeping it around long after it's served its purpose,
b) it's an eyesore, and
c) it could cause confusion, as you've just demonstrated.

I agree that we want new people to show up and talk to us. And that putting a moratorium on new replies would be counterproductive. That's why the moratorium only extends to non-regulars and even to them only for the next (as of this reply) ~28 hours.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #1232
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Source: w w w . b o x t o r r e n t s . c o m / d e t a i l s . p h p ? i d = 130888 (kept the last chunk solid to mess with bots)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychiclord
Ayu would be getting along faster if our encoder's PC had not died, our TL had not gone missing for a while, and if I were not on holiday right now <__<

Expect us to be finish by the end of this month, though, then we can replace this torrent.
Wow, what an asshole! :x

Would I agree, if he asked me, that many of Ayako's staff members and most favored fans (on the forums) are complete and utter filth? Yes. And by "filth" I mean that they are stupid, ill-mannered, and have disgusting tastes in both humor and fetishes. For that reason, I have not even bothered with signing up for an Ayako forum account. (That, and I think directly associating yourself with a fansubbing group in today's world is about the dumbest move you could make. )

Would I agree, if he asked me, that several of Ayako's staff members are disgustingly cocky? Yes. This is based on forum observations.

Would I agree, if he asked me, that Ayako's sub is worse than Ayu's? NO. At least, not based on the first episode I downloaded from each group -- and it's that first episode which makes all the difference when choosing which group's work to follow.

He can make all the excuses in the world he wants for why Ayu has fallen behind Ayako in the Minami-ke subbing race, but that doesn't change my opinion that, even had they gotten theirs out first, Ayu's sub is inferior to Ayako's in several regards.
1- At least for episode 1, I preferred Ayako's translation of the conversation between Kana and Chiaki when Chiaki comes home from school late.

2- At least for episode 1, Ayu's choice in a styled sub font was TERRIBLE compared with Ayako's. Absolutely terrible.

If Ayu wants to raise a legitimate argument against Ayako's subs, fine. But when they're in 2nd place speed-wise and quality-wise? They're in no position to make comments like these. If I was the owner of BoxTorrents.com, I'd piss all over "psychiclord" 's account right now.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #1233
Talon87
時の彼方へ

BBB, do you have an idea for when you'll make the new thread and what you'd like to call it? We're at 1231 replies (50 pages in standard page settings), so for server purposes it'll need to be soon. At least, that's the way it has been in the past. Ask Kuno or dami if you have concerns (such as wanting to keep this thread going as long as possible).

[center:2kreug1h]=============================================[/center:2kreug1h]

I'm through Episode 3 of ef ~A Tale of Memories~. So far, the show is okay. I feel disappointed by all of the excited talk here + my own excitement generated by the 4-minute teaser. So far, it's been frought with a lot of disappointing features.

1- the animation director for this show sucks. :x Reminds me a lot of whoever was in charge of Kare Kano. There're way too many lazy stills that change the color to "shades of green" or "shades of yellow" as a fucking lazy excuse of "being artistic." (Artistic my ass!) A lot of things where they show a person walking up and down stairs in black and white. Or show a soccer ball rolling down the street in very visible CG while everything else is animated. It's just really, really ... tacky!

2- The story arcs are malbalanced. There are three "main" ones: one between Renji and Chihiro (the girl with the eyepatch), one 3-way one between Hirono, Kei, and Miyako, and one between the cameraboy and his ex-girlfriend. I say "main" in quotation marks because they're not really "main" at all. At least, not in the same sense, they're not. You see, the first story arc (Renji x Chihiro) is the only "oh my god, tuggin' at my heart strings" major story. It involves a girl incapable of forming new long term memories, and so it's a beautiful but tragic love story. And you're totally drawn in because the girl's so cute (both inside and out) and you feel so bad for her. The second story arc isn't even in the same ballpark emotionally as the first one -- it's just your run-of-the-mill "high school love triangle" involving one guy and two girls. The two girls both love him, but he's oblivious to that fact, and he dotes on both of them and gets their hopes up and stuff. The third story arc has gotten as much screentime as the other two, but it has done jackshit nothing with it! It has literally squandered the time it has been given. All we know, 90 minutes into this series (I'm halfway through Ep4, actually), is all we knew at the very beginning concerning this character -- he's an artist who likes to camcord stuff. The end. Fucking great.

3- The stories are not original. I'm not saying you have to be original, but Chihiro's heart-breaking story is especially "been there done that." It seems like it was torn right out of the 2004 pages of 50 First Dates. I'm not fucking kidding. Chihiro is Drew Barrymore's character, and the first half of the ef video games came out in 2004 (the same year 50 First Dates came out), whereas the second half, the half that features Chihiro, didn't come out until later. VERY DUBIOUS. So if you've seen 50 First Dates (which is a great movie I recommend to all), then you've pretty much already seen what Chihiro's character-type has to offer. Then we come to that second story arc (the high school love triangle one), and all I can say is School Rumble's Harima, Yakumo, and Sawachika come to mind.

Based on the first three episodes, I would regrettably have to give ef ~A Tale of Memories~ an average ranking, not even a good one. Hopefully that will change. I'm not going to give up just yet, especially since it is (quote unquote) "only" 12 episodes long. If it were 24, I probably would seriously considering dropping it at this point. Not amused by how unoriginal the plot has been and how lazy and pseudo-artistic the animation direction has been.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:12 PM   #1234
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Oh, err...alright. I will think about a title and all of that good stuff. I will probably make it tonight.

Also, I personally liked the ef animations. I won't say anything more than that.

As for the stories. You are right. Chihiru's story is where it's at. However, Miyuki's story is pretty good, and I loved the ending. Well, that's what I think. The camera guy though......pfft!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #1235
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Through Episode 5 of ef ~A Tale of Memories~.

I just saw Kei squeak "Eh!?" when she found out that Hirono invited her over to discuss "something important" not between her and him, but between her and the camera guy.

The camera guy might have been an acceptable candidate for Kei's heart up until the start of Ep5 where he's filming her in the gymnasium without asking her. That's not only rude, but creepy! How's a girl to know that the guy isn't planning on whacking off to the video afterwards? (Maybe he's got a fetish for girls glistening in sweat as they do athletic stuff, for all she knows.) He definitely deserved the punch in the stomach, and I thought the way she went about it -- by acting all cutely interested in the video and then punching him once the camera was in her hands -- was pretty clever.

So ... I can't approve of him. I do not approve. Kei deserves better.

That stated, my interest in Kei has gone down by 1 or 2 points (on a scale of 10) after learning that she (a) basically stole Hirono from Chihiro, i.e. Hirono was actually more interested in and had more in common with Chihiro than with Kei, (b) she lied to Hirono to deceive Chihiro, and (c) she's at fault for Chihiro's accident (to a certain extent; obviously blame rests with Chihiro and the driver of the vehicle, too). So ... that sort of kills her "sweet girl" sparkle.

I like Miyako's breasts, but that's about all I like. I dislike her personality, her facial looks, her voice ... I guess the one other thing I do like besides her boobs would be her encouragement of Hirono to pursue his manga dream, since he clearly has the talent and (arguably) "wasting" his time with school right now could slow down or even kill his chances to make it big in the manga world.

So all my interest is in Chihiro now, except none of it's sexual. -_-; My mild sexual interest (in Kei) has been nerfed, and the only sexual candy left for me (Miyako's boobs, as explained above) is attached to a bleh character. So ... I find myself in the awkward position of wanting to go down Chihiro's route, even though this was based on an H-game and she's got the mind of a 12-year old! >_< Thank goodness the anime is asexual. Or so it seems.

Still only averagely good, though. Not very good, not great. Just ... average-good.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:29 AM   #1236
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Seeing as how we have a new big bad birthda's suggestion box, I decided to lock this one so no one wastes posts here.

And we'll close off with the top reason why people watch anime.

[attachment=0:3j0p7u32]Mai-HiME06.JPG[/attachment:3j0p7u32]

To look at boobies.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime