UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 04-25-2016, 08:43 AM   #76
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Sally Field was cast as Tom Hank's love interest twice (in Punchline and Mrs. Doubtfire) before finally being cast as his mother in Forrest Gump.

The Latin word for the Greco-Roman God of Death Hades is Orcus, from which derive the words orc and orca.

So if you dislike the name "killer whale" in favour of "orca", too bad, it's all the same thing!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:04 AM   #77
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
The Latin word for the Greco-Roman God of Death Hades is Orcus, from which derive the words orc and orca.
But ... Pluto ...
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:24 AM   #78
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
And yet Orcus.

Basically, whole lot of slight variations on the same gods. Gods were basically their version of memes, apparently.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:31 AM   #79
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Th-fronting is spreading in the British Isles but dying out in Australia. I find that kinda fascinating. I would've thought it'd either die out in the UK for the same reasons it's dying out in Australia or else vice versa it would've continued to spread in Australia for the same reasons it's spreading in the UK.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:44 AM   #80
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi

I've been picked on for th-fronting for years I WISH I KNEW IT WAS A LEGIT THING ;A;
Old 04-30-2016, 08:40 PM   #81
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I was interested on if horses would do better over unpaved terrain versus a car (still don't know but intuition says yes) and stumbled upon this discussion.

These two quotes are pretty insightful:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metafilter
The thing with riding horses is that over long distances, it's not *faster* than walking - humans are actually better than most critters at long distances - it's that you can carry more stuff. If I were just trying to get across the distance and it was relatively settled - i.e. I could buy food and shelter regularly - I don't know that taking a horse would make more sense than hiking, especially if I wasn't a rider. If I had to camp the whole way, I would much prefer to have something else carry my tent and stuff, even if I did spend half or better of the distance leading the horse.

That said, I would give a good hard look at the rivers in the area. If it's wet and swampy, rowing a boat upriver might still be faster and easier than finding water and forage for five horses for however many days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metafilter
The horse factor
Horses average about 3 mph at a relaxed walk, 8 mph at a relaxed trot, and 12-14 mph at a relaxed canter (those are speeds without the rider urging them on--you can push a horse to walk 4 mph but after an hour the rider is going to be a lot more tired than the horse, let me tell you). The canter isn't a long-distance gait, though--it's tiring for both the horse and rider. I'd put the upper limit for a fit horse at 1/2 hr canter, and because of terrain issues it would just not get much use in your scenario. I would say a well-conditioned horse could certainly do 6 hr days alternating between walk and trot, averaging maybe 6 mph over that time. Leaving aside the terrain issue for now, I'd put the horse factor as topping out at about 40 miles a day. Let's also assume that these are comfortable, highly experienced trail horses like the kind you'll find on a dude string.
It's a bit surprising to me that horses can't handle long distances so well, because somewhere I picked up the misconception that horses run long and hard. Certainly better than most animals.

At first, it was surprising that the first guy implied humans are better than horses at long distances, and he's right when you consider humans evolved to handle long distances, and are unique among mammals and most animals in their ability to do so.

I myself, in January of 2015, was capable of running 24 miles in 4-ish hours non-stop. So I could handle what a horse could do in a day, with stops for rest/recuperation. Certainly though I wasn't capable of holding much when I did those runs, but it does really put the distance power of humans into personal perspective.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-01-2016, 08:48 PM   #82
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Read from top to bottom, starting with the thread's title.

That's amazing, I thought. I bet gmoyes would want to know.

And so here I am, sharing.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:01 PM   #83
phoopes
Double Dragon

yooooo I had heard about the great Magnemite trading but I never knew why. That's actually really funny
Old 05-02-2016, 04:55 AM   #84
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

That whole conversation was about as accessible to me as Dexter's hydroxyl ion joke.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-08-2016, 08:43 PM   #85
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I was discussing languages with a coworker today, including Japanese, which an elderly gentleman overheard. He hopped into our conversation and shared that when the U.S. forces were deployed to Korea for the Korean War, they were taught Japanese, not Korean. I asked him why they would do that. He explained:
  1. Because of the Japanese conquest of Manchuria, Korea, etc, which by 1945 had already been several decades ago in Korea's case, many of the Koreans whom the U.S. forces would deal with already spoke fluent or near-fluent Japanese. (A man born in 1910 would have been 40 years old when the first American troops arrived in 1950, and would have spent the first 30 years of his life living under Japanese occupation.)
  2. The first U.S. troops deployed to Korea were the ones already stationed in Japan. Having already had to learn Japanese, why would you have them learn a new language when the (Korean) locals can already speak the ones they knew?
  3. Some of the Koreans already spoke surprisingly good English.
He didn't elaborate beyond these three bullet points and I didn't ask further. But I think it's interesting that, of all languages, you'd have our boys learning the language of our rescuees' enemy and have us using it with them in day to day conversation. ^^;;

No clue if this policy changed throughout the course of the war or not. He said he was deployed in '52, which is around the middle of the war.

From M*A*S*H to Seinfeld, I always imagined that people who served in Korea would have picked up Korean, not any other language and certainly not Japanese. Interesting.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:56 PM   #86
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The 2012 MLB offseason results broadcasts are just reaching Alpha Centauri.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 05-21-2016 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:55 PM   #87
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
The 2012 MLB offseason results broadcasts are just reaching Alpha Centauri.
That's actually faster than I would have expected. But I guess it is about four and a half light years away so it makes sense.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:32 PM   #88
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Eric from Boy Meets World = Ron from Kim Possible = Terry McGinnis from Batman Beyond :o
Old 08-13-2016, 01:50 AM   #89
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Eric from Boy Meets World = Ron from Kim Possible = Terry McGinnis from Batman Beyond :o
...Now I want to hear Terry repeatedly calling Bruce "Mr. Wayne" in that tone just to annoy him. *shot*
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:59 PM   #90
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Today, I learned that just as America has Freddy vs. Jason, Japan has Sadako vs. Kayako. You may know them better as "the girl from The Ring vs. the woman from The Grudge."

I don't really understand how this would even work. How could either onryou achieve victory over the other? Would they even hold any power whatsoever over one another? Rhetorical questions, though, 'cause I ain't lookin' for hard answers -- I might try and find this movie in the near future and check it out just out of sheer amusement that it was even made.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:46 PM   #91
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

A 2016 article announced that the Greenland Shark is the longest living vertebrate on Earth, with one specimen having been born 512 years ago. That year (1504) was right in the middle of the Renaissance. The bowhead whale remains the longest living mammal at >200 years; both marine animals live in extremely cold environments, suggesting that a slowed metabolism (along with anti-cancer resistance in the bowhead whale) are the major factors in promoting longevity.

Incidentally with the age discovery, the scientists realized the Greenland Shark only reaches sexual maturity at 150 years of age. This set of a panic as while the shark isn't killed often by humans, and population-wise isn't threatened by climate change or predation, it's highly susceptible to extinction just because of that slow birthrate.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-27-2016, 06:41 PM   #92
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Do 150 year old Greenland Sharks go to jail for having intercourse with 149 year old Greenland Sharks?

But it's nuts that the 512 year old shark that's still alive could have met Martin Luther on one of his crazy undersea adventures.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:27 PM   #93
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
This touches on a research project of mine I've been doing when I'm bored at work - do any ancestral species exist on Earth alongside modern day descendants?
I actually have an answer for this now.

The wild boar currently roaming the forests of Europe is considered the ancestral form of the domesticated pig. Not a descendant of the ancestral form, the actual ancestral form.

This seems pretty incredible given the boar's fecundity. With a high number of genetic events, given the litter size of the pig and its relatively short lifespan, one would suspect some significant genetic turnover in the 10,000 years since the pig was domesticated.

Apparently not!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-27-2016, 09:00 PM   #94
Talon87
時の彼方へ

10,000 years is a very, very short time on the evolutionary scale. For some perspective ...

● a "species" is often formally defined as the largest taxonomic grouping within which two members can produce fertile offspring. So for example, lions and tigers are not the same species (because ligers are infertile); horses and donkeys are not the same species (because mules are infertile); but the wild boar (Sus scrofa) and the feral pig (Sus scrofa) are the same technical species, capable of interbreeding

● the earliest hominids we generally speak of date back some 2 million years. This is hominids we're talking here, not apes

● Homo sapiens diverged from Homo neanderthalis some 500,000 years ago. (And lots of people speculate that we bred Homo neanderthalis out of existence, i.e. we technically belong to the "same species" and Neanderthals are more of a subspecies than a species proper.)

● the common ancestor of all modern human populations lived some 200,000 years ago

10,000 years is nothing. A flash in the pan.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:59 AM   #95
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

At the same time, dogs are a wildly different species from wolves, and in fact wolves are not the ancestors of dogs. There's another thing that came before both. That's probably one of the things that led Dopple to go looking for things that coexisted with their genetic ancestors.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:44 PM   #96
Talon87
時の彼方へ

In the U.S. state of Oregon, there is a county the size of Maryland with only 7,000 residents: Harney County.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:10 PM   #97
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
"Oh My Darling, Clementine" is an American western folk ballad in trochaic meter usually credited to Percy Montrose (1884), although it is sometimes credited to Barker Bradford. The song is believed to have been based on another song called "Down by the River Liv'd a Maiden" by H. S. Thompson (1863). This American folk song is commonly performed in the key of F Major. Members of the Western Writers of America chose it as one of the Top 100 Western songs of all time.

While at first the song seems to be a sad ballad sung by a bereaved lover about the loss of his darling, the daughter of a miner in the 1849 California Gold Rush, as the verses continue it becomes obvious that the song is in fact a tongue-in-cheek parody of a sad ballad. For example, in the second verse we learn that Clementine's feet are so big that she has to wear boxes instead of shoes (presumably because size 9 shoes are not available); hardly a detail that would be mentioned in a serious romantic ballad. Her "tragic demise" is caused by a splinter in her toe that causes her to fall and drown – clearly a ridiculous accident, but told in a deadpan style. Finally, at the end of the song, the lover forgets his lost love after one kiss from Clementine's "little sister".
I can totally see it now. Heck, lyrics like "Thought he oughter, join his daughter" is similarly outlandish. Not because committing suicide in grief is particularly unusual, but the motivation isn't an escape from sadness, it's like "Oh, my girl might be lonely in heaven, Dad needs to help her out"!

When learning "Oh my Darling, Clementine" as a child though, most of this hyperbole is completely, utterly lost. Young listeners cannot pick up on the ideas like boxes without topses as ridiculous. So this comes across as a big surprise to me.

Though, the original song - "Down by the River Liv'd a Maiden" is far more serious and cautionary in nature. In that, Clementine and her lover (the singer) are drunk when Clementine falls in the water. The lover is simply too drunk to realize he has to rescue her, rather than averse to swimming for...some reason, like in the parody. Which makes way more sense than the surreal mockery makes it sound.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-18-2016, 10:20 PM   #98
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I have always thought the singer was the father. "Oh my darling [daughter] Clementine", not "Oh my darling [lover] Clementine". Also I do not remember any verse that mentioned Clementine's sister. Last verse I remember is the one that goes "Ruby lips a/bove the water/, blowing bubbles soft and fine/; but alas I was no swimmer/, so I lost my Clementine."
Old 11-03-2016, 06:19 AM   #99
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Hey Concept, is the reason the clocks in my car slow down relative to stationary clocks at work and home due to a very slow version of special relativity?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-03-2016, 07:29 AM   #100
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Unless you drive at least a few hundred times the speed limit, this is vanishingly unlikely.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc