UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 07-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #26
Talon87
時の彼方へ

OMG, just noticed the muscular dude appears to be wearing a sailor-style school uniform. Am going to laugh my ass off if he's actually a she.

DOUBLE OMG, watching OP credits right now and see that his name was Sakura and he's totally wearing a full-on girl's sailor uniform! Skirt and all! Reverse trap identified!? xfd;

Finished the episode. Meh. Would've liked to have gotten farther. Guess I can't blame them when they have sixteen characters to introduce (that's less than two minutes per character!), but that's also not my problem. Would've preferred a one-hour premiere, I think. As it stands, I should've just waited a week. Oh well.

Prediction for Death #1 = the annoying kid who's very much a yesman to authority and who is trying to act all Power Rangers Leader-ish. The one who looks like he could be a baseball team captain. Him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
To be fair, you randomly got introduced to a ton of characters at once without a bunch of dialog for most of them so give it a few weeks.
Uhh, dude ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
For the record, I've read the Let's Play
You guys are seeming a little desperate to rationalize how someone intelligent and with good taste might not have been impressed by Dangan Ronpa. The one by appeal to numbers ("You're the only person I know who ...!"), the other by appeal to exposure ("Just give it time. You'll get to know them all eventually as I did" ... even though she spent precisely as much time with them as you did ).
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #27
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Here's my speculation

Spoiler: show
I don't want to go out and make 999 comparisons, even if they're to be made here, simply because that would be lame and uninteresting. But I suspect that Monobear is Japanese, perhaps a child.

The fixation on "zetsubo" is very Japanese, and Monobear's child-ish impatience combined with vast resources suggest either he's a crazy old adult, a real child, or maybe a TV producer filming a television show. After-all, where else would all these resources come from?

The opening sequence suggested some surreal/supernatural powers on Monobear's part, but the fact that it needs physical barriers to keep the students in the school suggests it's not a supernatural being, but a human. Those bear things are dolls, puppets or animatronics. Perhaps it's one of the students, although I'm a bit skeptical of that.

Why is he a "Monobear" when he clearly has two distinct colours?

I hope Sayaka stays a loyal girlfriend to Naegi and doesn't backstab him. Or if she has to backstab him, I hope they do the tango before it happens.

No idea who/who doesn't die except the one character I was spoiled of. It's all shots in the dark from here.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #28
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Oops I missed the fact that she read it. Ahaha.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #29
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Why spoiler tag speculation? Also ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I don't want to go out and make 999 comparisons, even if they're to be made here, simply because that would be lame and uninteresting.
Well gee, thanks. Ż3Ż

EDIT: Yeah, I realize I'm being kinda hypocritical when, in the past, I have spoiler tagged my own speculation. But that was just because some of you complained that I was too smart or perceptive or something and was ruining things for you by guessing correctly. Or something. Ż3Ż I forget which series it was and what the exact circumstances were. (Kaiji S2 maybe? I think so ...)

Last edited by Talon87; 07-05-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #30
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm being cautious because people were accusing me of leaking oil earlier. Given my behaviour earlier in the year, I'd wager this is a step in the right direction.

It's probably unfair to Dangan Ronpa if we make 999 comparisons, since that's a recent standard of quality for a closed-room story of this type. But I'd be highly disappointed if too much stuff turns out to be similar beyond basic causal phenomenon like "people die if they are killed".
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #31
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I watched the first episode, but it contained about as much as what I had read of the Let's Play, so I wasn't really too surprised or anything by it.

I will say, though, I'm interested in it enough to watch the rest. It's a little less laborious than reading the Let's Play, though I can sense the somewhat abridged nature of the adaptation already. That said, I think the premise will hold up just fine. I do like the murder mystery elements and I think that the anime will have more capacity for giving us clues (and possibly red herrings!) which may make the experience a little more fulfilling the first time through.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #32
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
You guys are seeming a little desperate to rationalize how someone intelligent and with good taste might not have been impressed by Dangan Ronpa. The one by appeal to numbers ("You're the only person I know who ...!"), the other by appeal to exposure ("Just give it time. You'll get to know them all eventually as I did" ... even though she spent precisely as much time with them as you did ).
To be fair, pardon the comparison, but I couldn't tell you the full names of any characters from 999 either. I can remember their nicknames since they were simple number associations that meant something related to each person, but beyond that I would have no idea.

P.S. My taste might be questionable considering I really like the new XY Pokémon that was just revealed, whereas a lot of people seem to hate it. *shot*

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 07-05-2013 at 09:56 PM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #33
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post

To be fair, pardon the comparison, but I couldn't tell you the full names of any characters from 999 either. I can remember their nicknames since they were simple number associations that meant something related to each person, but beyond that I would have no idea.
Pardon nothing. I'm in the exact same boat.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #34
deoxys
Fog Badge

Updated the character post. That was incredibly annoying to do, too, because it was all originally gifs, but the page kept freezing so I had to make them pngs.

Now for my speculations - these are *entirely* speculative theories, I know nothing past the first episode. It's all theoretical, but I'm spoiler tagging it just in case:

I suspect a few of the scenarios could possibly play out in the series:

A. Love triangles resulting in one of the three being killed to make it look as though the other (jealous) person did it.

B. One of the students is actually behind it all. We've seen this scenario as a "twist" from time to time in similar type situations, Scooby Doo does it all the time. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if one of the students is the one controlling Monobear.

C. The "winner" becomes the new principal, or Monobear.

D. They are all already dead and in purgatory, it is a test to see who goes where in the afterlife.

E. Anyone who actually "dies" is in on it and isn't actually killed, but rather is just part of a psychosocial experiment.

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #35
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Oh, I'm going to go along with Talon's suggestion of the baseball guy dying first. He's even got blood on his shirt already!

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #36
deoxys
Fog Badge

Also I suspect someone might wind up committing suicide at some point throwing everyone into a disarray and pointing fingers at each other.

It just seems so plausible!

@Dopple:

I assumed Talon was talking about this guy.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #37
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
@Dopple:

I assumed Talon was talking about this guy.
Deo got it right.

As for your spoiler boxed theories, Deo, I'd say:
  1. this is all for real; it's not a psychosocial experiment or a gameshow or anything of the sort
  2. Sayaka, Sayaka, Sayaka. She's easily my #1 suspect for being the puppetmaster.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #38
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
[*]Sayaka, Sayaka, Sayaka. She's easily my #1 suspect for being the puppetmaster.[/list]
I don't know man

(Ep 1 Spoilers)

Her reaction to her video seemed way too genuine. Then again, it was way crazier than everyone else's, she was in full blown tears. I suppose it's possible it's all an act, but I'm personally more suspicious of Kyouko. I don't know why. I really like her a lot, but she's just... I'm not sure. Chihiro strikes me as off, too.

It's way too early to tell, just my opinions.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #39
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It would make sense that she knew Naegi's name if she invited him to the school. I suspect more elaboration will be needed for this.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #40
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Kyouko strikes me as being very similar to a character in another anime several of us on UPN have watched. She feels like the sort of character who is wise to what's going on, is experienced or at least skilled in combat, and is going to help keep the protagonist alive as we near the end of the series ... but is then going to perhaps end up dying right before the finish line. Or, even if she does survive, it'll only be in one of two ways: as Makoto's friend (while he pairs off with Sayaka) or else as his surprise new girlfriend (as Sayaka goes psycho-bitch crazy and ends up being killed off by the two new lovebirds). But my money's on her dying right towards the end.

In Makoto's surprise that Sayaka remembers him, there's a possible clue that Sayaka is the ringleader of this operation and is the one who got Makoto accepted to this high school in the first place (for the purposes of this crazy survival game). Think about it. Why would the school's top idol remember some nobody like Makoto? She must have had strong feelings towards him, whether positive (as in a crush) or negative (as in a desire for revenge for some wrong he did her that he has no memory of). Either way, the fact that the school's idol remembers a relative nobody like Makoto says something imo. It fits in very nicely and neatly with the theory that Makoto's reason for being here is that Sayaka brought him here.

There are also artistic clues, though as Jeri points out any number of these could be red herrings. (It all boils down to how clumsy the writing for this game is.) One of these artistic clues which points to Sayaka being the puppetmaster is the fact that she was saved for last even though, during the part where the camera is bouncing between students and we're learning their names, she shows up in the middle segment alongside one of the introduced girls. Why wasn't Sayaka introduced then? Why did they deliberately save her for last? One obvious answer is "Well, because she's the childhood acquaintance so obviously she would want to actually strike up a genuine conversation with Makoto moreso than anyone else in the room would and we didn't want that to cut the introductions short" ... but another answer is, "Sayaka's the most important character in the series right after Makoto. Save the best/most important for last, man." The fact that they similarly saved Kyouko for second to last seems to suggest that Kyouko is mega important ... but at the same time, since she was only second to last, that she won't be the ringmaster.

During the main episode, we were only given katakana for the characters' names. I assumed that would remain the case for the entire opening act, since often times writers like to put clues or symbolism into their characters' names and since it's a common, common trick in Japanese fiction to obfuscate readers' attempts to figure this stuff out by writing all of the names in straight kana rather in kanji. Weeeeeeeell, during the opening credits we were given kanji for their names. And I took special note of Kyouko's since I was interested to see how Kirigiri would be spelled. Turns out ...

(some might consider playing with name analysis to be "cheating" , especially if the writer is making things too easy, so ... click at your own risk? Will be discussing Kyouko, Makoto, and Sayaka inside)

... turns out it's 霧切. The name literally means "cutting through the fog". Not surprising. Like I said up top, Kyouko seems like the series' dead ringer for the character who is going to be wise to Monobear's and the mastermind's game. She's the one who will help Makoto to uncover the truth. (And speaking of truth, there's some likely symbolism there too: Makoto being Japanese for "truth" [amongst many readings].) What about Sayaka? Well, her family name is Maizono 舞園, which literally would mean "dancing" (舞) "garden" (園), so I dunno, you could take it to mean "spinning in circles 'round the garden of sinners" or something if you wanted , but that seems like a bit of an awfully liberal stretch on my part. Suffice to say the name isn't a 100% clear cut clue to anything. It may be obvious to folks on the other end of the rainbow, but not for us, I'd say. Her given name, unfortunately, is spelled in straight hiragana. So no luck there. Weblio offers though the insight that sayaka can be written as 明か to mean "clear", "obvious to the eye", "decipherable". So again, who knows.

Speaking of reading between the lines to decipher clues ... ;p

(hyper-analysis of one of Deoxys's character bios follows)

I can't help but to notice that you've gone to painstaking efforts to not use any gendered pronouns like "his" or "her" in Sakura's bio yet you don't hold yourself back from using those same gendered pronouns in anyone else's bio. Definitely seems to point to the fact that you worry about lying to people if you chose "his" or spoiling people if you said "her", hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ... ;3 [/clever talon?]

If I'm right, don't feel too bad. XP They're making it pretty damn obvious by not only naming the character a name almost exclusively given to girls but by placing "him" in, of all things, the most iconic girls school uniform in the history of modern Japan.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:36 AM   #41
deoxys
Fog Badge

I... uh...

╰(´ヘ`;)ノ
Old 07-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #42
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

New rule: There are too many names to remember and SHSL [insert title here] is still a long acronym to say, so from now on I shall refer to everyone as Shizzle. Shizzle Good Luck, Shizzle Idol, Shizzle Gambler, Shizzle Baseball Player, etc. (Thanks, Morg!)

Btw, Dopple, you were wondering about Monobear's name earlier, weren't you? In Japanese, Monokuma is a portmanteau of "Monochrome" and "Kuma" (bear), referring to the black-and-white-aspect rather than a single color. (I realize "monochrome" technically means shades of one color, but meh.)

Also looking at the character images again, I'm surprised Talon isn't a fan of Aoi. *shot*
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #43
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I had an idea while exercising so I'll propose it here.

The school doesn't have an equality of elites. If we rank the characters from "super elite" to "not so elite", do any patterns appear?

Kyouko - ???

Byakuya - zaibatsu heir
Mondo - daibanchou
Celestia - gambler

Sayaka - idol
Hifumi - doujin manga artist
Touko - novelist
Junko - fashion model
Yasuhiro - fortune telling

Sakura - wrestling
Aoi - swimming
Leon - baseball

Chihiro - programmer
Kiyotaka - hall monitor
Makoto - ordinary student

I ranked the students based on what I would percieve as "fame". Some students were selected based on skills, but there are a few patterns we can work out here.

1. There are three "sports" related skills.
2. There are three related to Japan's dark side.
3. There are a bunch with tangential relation to anime/manga.
4. There's three that don't really strike me as worthy of elite status.

Touko is just a novelist, but I suspect (just random spec) she's a light novel writer and not someone who spins classical Japanese poetry.

It's easy to see how conflicts could occur between individuals with overlapping spheres of influence. I'd imagine that Mondo would be enemies of Byakuya and Kiyotaka, while Junko woud be an enemy of Sayaka and Touko of Hifumi.

There isn't a whole lot to draw from this, but what I can say is one of the rules of the killings (getting away with it) hasn't been introduced in the series yet, so if someone wants to maximize who they want to kill, it'll be killing someone who competes with them. I think Sayaka is a high priority target while Makoto is probably the lowest. There's almost no benefit beyond freedom to killing Makoto, and he would probably be hard to kill with Sayaka around him plus the "luck" he's supposed to have. I'd imagine that's something Yasuhiro and/or Celestia should be capable of discering (I wonder if it's Akagi-tier "Devil's Luck" or Washizu's "God's Luck").

Chihiro is interesting to me, as he's described as a "programmer" and not a "hacker". He could very well be one, but he might just be a modest programming prodigy. He also has what I would describe as a learned skill; Celestia is possibly the other one, but the everyone else (Kiyotaka/Makoto exempted) has their fame derived from physical prowess, creativity, or social status.

I expect, then, that Kiyotaka and Chihiro will become allies of Makoto, as they're the more innocuous of the cast, although their involvement with him will likely generate grudges which make them targets for death.

I just hope Sayaka doesn't turn into an Andou, i.e. is a huge liability/burden on the group and then backstabs Makoto during a time of weakness. If she's going to do that, she might as well bear him a child as a sign of penance for the knife through his heart!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #44
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

> Touko is just a novelist, but I suspect (just random spec) she's a light novel writer and not someone who spins classical Japanese poetry.

May be spoilers??? Probably not because I didn't get much farther than what the episode covered.

It's revealed early on in the game that she is a Romance Novelist, and is highly skilled at writing complex plots centered around love triangles and stuff.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:26 AM   #45
uhhhhh
Beloved Mascot

Send a message via Skype™ to uhhhhh
Well, I like the first episode so far.

I'm not gonna make any speculations since I already know the plot from the game. Will be interesting to see how the people who's only following this now will react here on the future episodes.
uhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:16 AM   #46
deoxys
Fog Badge

I was reading a strict "no spoilers" speculation thread on facebook (presumably with heavy moderation given the thread was only a half hour old) on the subject of "who do you think will die first?" (And for the record Talon, I did take your advice to unfollow a lot of the show pages and such that have potential to spoil me)

Some people took the title itself as a spoiler and while I guess it technically could be, isn't it more than obvious? There is no way this show would go all thirteen episodes without one person dying. That's the whole premise. In fact, I'd bet the first death happens by the end of the next episode.

Anyway, a lot of the people were speculating on who it would be and while just about every single character (even Monobear) was guessed, one character in particular stood out as a popular opinion which really quite surprised me. Hit the spoiler button if you want to see who it is:

Sayaka.

I don't know why on Earth such a handful of people would think Sayaka will be the first to go, or hell, to even go at all! I just don't see her dying, already she looks too crucial to the story. But then again, perhaps they're on to something? Perhaps Sayaka having so much focus in the first episode would be precisely why she would be the first to be offed? Perhaps the writers felt building a character and then killing them would be a huge shock no one saw coming?

I don't know. I don't think these people are right, and like I said a lot of people were posting stupid guesses that made no sense like Naegi and Monobear, too, but for Sayaka? I refuse to believe it. I would honestly be shocked if that turned out to be the case.

Another semi-popular one was "the fat guy" :P
Old 07-07-2013, 05:24 AM   #47
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Won't be clicking since I don't trust Facebook strangers not to be liars and cheats. "Oh yeah, I totally haven't read the spoilers ........ *WINK* "
Old 07-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #48
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Is the second episode out yet?

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #49
Schala
Savior of Pokemon-kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor View Post
Is the second episode out yet?
I know the raw is out, but I haven't seen any subs yet.
Schala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #50
deoxys
Fog Badge

Wait... what's up with the Dewgong above your avatar?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime