UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 08-06-2019, 06:20 PM   #126
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
If that leak + 56 Pokemon are true, the climate of Pokemon is really weird right now.

On the one hand, the Alola League is going on right now to little fanfare, despite it being either the best (or worst) league depending on who you talk to. But on places like /r/pokemon NOBODY TALKS ABOUT IT, while the world was obsessed with Kalos in spite of Kalos being a pretty generic, forgettable region.

Then, we have what sounds like a legitimately unimpressive game with way out of proportion outrage because people are making up for stupidly buying LGPE last Fall. This is like people rewarding Endgame and Disney for Infinity War.

There's a major split brain disconnect somewhere. It's kinda surreal.
The thing is, LGPE weren't bad games. If you compare them to the rest of Gen 7, of course, then sure they're gonna fall a bit short for multiple reasons, but they're good games for what they are- a stepping stone to bridge the gap between GO and the main series. An introduction to the world of Pokémon. And for people like me, a healthy dose of sweet, sweet Gen 1 nostalgia. Of course, no remakes are gonna perfectly recapture all the Gen 1 magic for me, because for me a big chunk of my Gen 1 nostalgia is courtesy of the various glitches- those, I feel, are a part of the authentic Gen 1 experience. But I digress- Let's Go was never meant to be this next big cutting-edge game intended to wow all the old fans and blow them out of the water, but rather a welcoming sight to newcomers, or to old fans who had long since quit Pokémon and might be thinking about getting back into the swing of things. A way to ease them in without overwhelming them right out of the gate, and I like that idea. Hell, I still play Let's Go Pikachu from time to time- one of my New Year's resolutions was to finally defeat all of the Master Trainers, and I'm making decent progress on that.

Also, I can only speak for myself, but I didn't find Kalos to be generic or forgettable, whether we're talking games or the anime. I do wish we could've gotten a third version to X and Y to maybe wrap up a few things instead of Zygarde getting shoehorned into Sun and Moon, but they're far from bad games. I recently played through Y again and was reminded of how much I love Kalos.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:56 PM   #127
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
The thing is, LGPE weren't bad games. If you compare them to the rest of Gen 7, of course, then sure they're gonna fall a bit short for multiple reasons, but they're good games for what they are- a stepping stone to bridge the gap between GO and the main series. An introduction to the world of Pokémon. And for people like me, a healthy dose of sweet, sweet Gen 1 nostalgia. Of course, no remakes are gonna perfectly recapture all the Gen 1 magic for me, because for me a big chunk of my Gen 1 nostalgia is courtesy of the various glitches- those, I feel, are a part of the authentic Gen 1 experience. But I digress- Let's Go was never meant to be this next big cutting-edge game intended to wow all the old fans and blow them out of the water, but rather a welcoming sight to newcomers, or to old fans who had long since quit Pokémon and might be thinking about getting back into the swing of things. A way to ease them in without overwhelming them right out of the gate, and I like that idea. Hell, I still play Let's Go Pikachu from time to time- one of my New Year's resolutions was to finally defeat all of the Master Trainers, and I'm making decent progress on that.
LGPE might have represented all those things, but what it really aimed at were Go fans, which (despite some overlap) is a completely separate identity from main series Pokemon fans. Financially, it's also more important than main series fans. Mobile is the future and the consoles are the past.

As is the case with Disney and it shameless live action remakes, money speaks very loudly, so buying LGPE simply meant GameFreak was going to pander harder to the Go demographic. Not taking a stand then, but taking a stand now under the false flag of dexit is sending mixed messages to GameFreak, and they don't know how to respond and are too deep in Gen VIII to fix the issues.

To me, this is obvious stuff. It's not like we're saying anything different from last July. But SS is going to be DOA. You know that IGN and whatever is going to give it a lower score than LGPE. People will nitpick and blow up the nitpicks into huge problems on social media outlets. The fans will circulate and regurgitate stupid ideas.

As Kuno says, the game looks worse with every reveal, and the fans becomes more and more toxic. The bomb is going to blow up in November and there's nothing that people can do about it. But in this era of hyper magnification, it baffles me that people are trying to tune something like SM out of mind. It doesn't feel like there are any cross fans at all between Go, main series games, anime and TCG/manga. It's the complete opposite of my childhood experience.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:13 AM   #128
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

GALARIAN WEEZING

THIS IS BEAUTIFUL

DEFINITELY GOING RIGHT ON MY TEAM
Old 08-07-2019, 09:21 AM   #129
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
As a brit I wholeheartedly somehow approve of the Galarian forms revealed.

The pikaclone can stay in the depths of cash cow hell where it belongs, and the alleged evil team...fucking hell if they don't make Team Flare look well designed and credible. Easily the worst villainous faction yet.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:33 AM   #130
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Thoughts!
Spoiler: show
Galar Weezing is pretty cool. The smokestacks are probably a bit too tall, but otherwise it's neat. Not a fan of the KISSloon. It looks like a dude in a fursuit. Hangry Pika is just bad. The rest I'm indifferent towards cause no real info.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:34 AM   #131
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
It's almost like they realised the evil teams were always a fucking joke and they're just capitalising on it.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:44 AM   #132
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Am I the only one who kinda likes Morpeko?
Old 08-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #133
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
All the Pokemon reveals are really good imo. I like the move they made with Ziggy. Definitely keeps options open in the future.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #134
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Oh man, that evo for Linoone is what I would expected would happen with Dusk Lycanroc.

I wonder if that's still on the table.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #135
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

GAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! GALARIAN WEEZING IS OVERPOWERED AS FUCK! NO MULTISCALE FOR DRAGONITE! NO MAGIC GUARD FOR CLEFABLE! GIVE YOUR HEART TO ARCEUS BECAUSE YOUR ASS IS WEEZING'S!
Old 08-16-2019, 08:18 PM   #136
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I was hoping a held item would be released that had an effect like that. A "Skill Orb" that suppresses most abilities except the super unique ones. I suspect that will still be the case: stuff like Battle Bond or Comatose won't be affected, making those Pokemon much more powerful under the Skill Drain.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-16-2019, 08:42 PM   #137
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I'd imagine there are a few exceptions to it, yeah. I'm honestly wondering how stuff like Slow Start and Truant will work with this, though.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #138
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
I'd imagine there are a few exceptions to it, yeah. I'm honestly wondering how stuff like Slow Start and Truant will work with this, though.
Literally my first thought when I saw that ability was that I hope Slaking and Regigigas are in the Galar dex
Old 08-17-2019, 12:39 PM   #139
Emi

Archeops is definitely the best partner tho
Old 08-17-2019, 05:11 PM   #140
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

In doubles, Archeops doesn't have the defensive utility I think. Archeops also can't use Earthquake with that setup because Weezing doesn't float.

Let's say we created a hypothetical "Skill Orb" that suppresses ability in exchange for, say, 40% offensive boost but doesn't work on certain abilities like Battle Bond or Comatose. Something of a midway between Life Orb and Choice Band/Specs. Let's also say it's Knock Off proof.

The idea is for a Pokemon with a Tough Claws-like ability, using this item doesn't actually make them any better than using a Life Orb, because their ability is suppressed. But for Pokemon with weak or negative abilities, it's better than the Life Orb but might still be inferior to Choice depending on the situation.

Such an item definitely make Ubers out of Regigigas and Slaking who are insanely bulky, powerful and fast. I'm not sure it breaks Archeops, though. The level of power is 20% higher than banded Tapu Koko, but 9% higher than specs Tapu Lele. We've seen that level of power/speed before...I just don't know how good it would be in practice.

Golisopod is pretty usable now, though.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #141
phoopes
Double Dragon

why would such a theoretical item be knock-off proof?
Old 08-17-2019, 05:33 PM   #142
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

My gut instinct is that because GameFreak expanded the number of Knock Off eligible Pokemon, it's going to increase the number of Knock Off resistant items.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-18-2019, 03:42 AM   #143
Emi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
In doubles, Archeops doesn't have the defensive utility I think. Archeops also can't use Earthquake with that setup because Weezing doesn't float.
I mean, neither can Slaking or Regigigas, and its worse for them. The difference between the three is that Archeops has two extremely powerful STAB moves in Head Smash and Acrobatics, as well as being far better on the special end. It has Earth Power and Heat Wave, and can even use moves like Taunt if it wants to. It's also faster than both Slaking and Regigigas (who are both relatively sluggish in comparison). Archeops just seems to me to be the better choice because it's more offensively potent.

EDIT: Also of more minor but still relevant note, Regigigas does not get Protect.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:32 AM   #144
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Gigas does get Wide Guard, which would protect Weezing from EQ when it switches in.

At this point we need more insight as to how the mechanics will work. Will abilities activate once they are no longer suppressed?

If so, Neutralizing Gas has limited combo potential. But if Slow Start only needs to be suppressed once, Regigigas could be quite the terror.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-18-2019, 06:07 AM   #145
Emi

Yes, they've confirmed that how it works.

Again, its why Archeops is the best choice.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:55 PM   #146
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Lame and stupid.

I still don't see it working, though. After one Head Smash, Archeops needs to Roost, which makes it and Weezing both vulnerable to the EQ. It could potentially kill two things neutral to Rock if banded, as opposed to just one. I don't think it can break walls at all.

The only silver lining is an unencumbered Archeops would do best against bulky offense, which is what VGC is famous for.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-18-2019, 11:28 PM   #147
Emi

You can't break walls with Normal STAB lol.

Arhceops can just go full offensive. Dedicated walls are pretty rare in doubles.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #148
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

I don't see Regigigas being in the galar dex, sadly. Slaking and Archeops are a potential maybe, and the VGC room was rather excited about the whatif.

Slaking with no ability is an incredibly decent mon. 150/160/100/95/65/100. Even though Normal STAB isn't going to be breaking open the entire board, it still does a considerable amount of damage off of a 160 attack stat. It's also a very decent goodstuffs mon, with a wide range of coverage and tech. It has the ability to protect, a trait that Regigigas does not.

Its support capability is also there, though running a supportive Slaking seems...odd? 95 base special attack is not great, but usable. Means Icy Wind would be doing slightly more than pitiful damage. Encore, Roar, a relatively fast Taunt, the ability to self heal with Slack Off...all decent options. Quash or After you could even work, but there are admittedly better mons for that.

Unless the VGC Meta in 2020 will be incredibly fast (chances are unlikely for that one given doubles but it's possible) base 100 is enough to let it run incredibly defensive EVs, and still deal consistent damage off its 160 attack stat. A strong, bulky mon that can stick around on the field is incredibly potent.

That's all a big hypothetical though, given Slaking's unknown status in SwSh. Personally, I'm very intrigued in the new items that were announced.
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:19 PM   #149
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Caveat: All of that is in isolation. When Galarian Weezing is on the field, that's supposed to be the support Pokemon since you basically have subpar. Unless GF gives Galarian Weezing an offensive pool, I wonder if Slaking's stats will be enough.

Fairy/Poison with Levitate will be amazing in singles, though. Especially if Weezing gets Moonblast.

Oh eh, I just thought of something. Muk/Ninetales got regional evolutions in Alola, and Muk-Weezing and Ninetales-Arcanine are RB version exclusives.

So when's Galarian Arcanine?

With its oni/tiger like pattern, I'll speculate on a Fire/Electric typing.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-20-2019, 03:58 AM   #150
Emi

BORKED

This is mostly just a video showing off one of the towns, but I actually do think the game looks pretty good. Definitely a step up fro the 3DS titles. A lot of nice small touches that are making me happy, like NPCs naturally interacting with each other in the overworld and such.

Also, Galar believes in public transportation.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News