UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 07-17-2015, 09:17 PM   #51
Talon87
Nebby. Back into the bag.

Send a message via AIM to Talon87

With $6,333,295 pledged, Shenmue III goes down in history as the 6th highest funded Kickstarter project of all time (as of this writing). Small fandom, big dreams. We rallied together and helped to make possible the continuation to one of our favorite games of all time.

Waiting until the Kickstarter was over, Yu Suzuki has now confirmed that, yes, he will be setting up a PayPal option for fans to provide additional funding. Many international fans clamored for PayPal as they were not able to use Kickstarter for one reason or another. Many fans both international and domestic also indicated a desire to see a PayPal avenue opened up as it would allow them to donate smaller sums of money monthly rather than one large sum of cash upfront.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #52
Talon87

Kid Nocon hired on as part of the Shenmue III development team.

Kid Nocon is a Shenmue fan from South Korea who who remade portions of Shenmue 1 in the Unreal Engine 3 and 4 graphics engines. Two and a half months ago, amidst the fervor of the Shenmue III kickstarter, Kid uploaded his video of the re-rendered Hazuki Dojo in UE4 to YouTube. It caught the attention of many fans and led many to openly wonder if he might not be able to get a job working on either 1) a Shenmue 1&2 HD port or else 2) Shenmue 3 itself.

Well, wonder no more: the Shenmue III team's seen fit to publicly announce that Kid Nocon has been hired. And according to the tweet, he'll be working on Shenmue 3.

I like his work. And I'm very happy for him. I think some of his textures look a little too plasticky -- for example, the wood looks like it's been caked in gallons of lacquer -- but that's what working on a team is all about -- smoothing out one another's deficiencies and bringing the full force of your individual strengths to the table. For the most part, I've been hugely impressed by what I've seen of Kid's work and I think it was a smart decision to hire such a passionate and capable fan onto the project.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:42 AM   #53
deoxys
こばやし だいすき~

Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Anniversary Update
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #54
deoxys
こばやし だいすき~

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sega-...ention/0171907

"Shenmue 1 and 2 Remakes have our full attention"
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:37 PM   #55
Loki
Yummy

It's nice that SEGA actually cares about their past and their franchises unlike Konami. I wish they'd stop trying to reinvent Sonic though. Hopefully if a remake does some out, it doesn't have weird shit in it.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:45 PM   #56
Talon87

Shenmue III has been quietly delayed to 2019. I don't know what others think in and outside the fandom, but personally I'm pleased with the decision. Take your time and make a great game.

Last month it was confirmed that Shenmue I and II ports are coming out on PS4, XBox One, and PC in 2018. This I think is also good. It's disappointing to see that they won't be HD remakes, but rather they're pretty much just straight optimized ports from DreamCast to target platform. But hey. It's better than nothing, and it should mean that more players get to experience the games ahead of Shenmue III's release.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:20 PM   #57
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I was thinking about finding a way to play these games but if we're seeing a Steam release I suppose I can just wait for that!

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:15 PM   #58
Talon87

Went ahead and upgraded my donation. It was already considerable, but it's been three years since Summer 2015 and I figured I could afford to spare some extra change if it meant a) more memorabilia and b) more money to finance the production of the best possible finished product. The deadline for doing so is in ... about five hours, I think. ^^; So I cut it pretty close.

They finally asked me to confirm which version of the game I wanted between four eligible choices: digital PS4, digital Steam, physical PS4, or physical Steam. I opted for physical Steam; while I'm disappointed it'll be a Steam-based download like most modern PC games instead of being fully loaded on the DVD like older PC games were, I both understand and would still prefer to have the physical bookcase. I don't know much about how Shenmue III has been coded, but I'm optimistic that Steam or no Steam we'll still be able to customize and homebrew things on PC that wouldn't be possible or permitted on PS4. Example 1: changing characters' faces. Example 2: changing characters' costumes. We'll see. Even if it isn't possible, I'd still rather have it for PC and Steam. Steam's not going anywhere any time soon, whereas the PS4 is already on its last legs. It will be 5ľ years old by the time Shenmue III releases!

Speaking of which, we got a release date: August 27th, 2019! That's only one year away from the writing of this post. I'm pretty satisfied with that, too. One year means at least a couple of months(?) to put the last-minute finances to good use for coding a few Kickstarter stretch goals we hadn't originally managed to reach but now can, and then six to nine months or so of post-production where they're printing the boxes and Kickstarter bling, working with advertisers to promote the game, and generally getting ready for launch. It also means that it will have been a little over 4 years between when the game was first announced at E3 2015 and when the street date hits. That sounds about right for a major studio project, even if this is an amateur project and in various respects might not live up to the exacting expectations of modern-day gamers. I don't know that an extra year or two in development would have much helped Shenmue III at this point -- either it's going to be good or it's going to be bad. Let's go ahead and get it out, and if it's good then let's go ahead and turn our sights to Shenmue IV and the next 4-to-5-year development cycle.

The newest trailer is right here. I think it looks pretty darn great. Some faces like Shenhua's I don't think look right. Other faces like Ryo's look fine. And other faces like Lan Di's look very good, even if still different from the DreamCast version. Backgrounds look really impressive; the lighting doesn't quite look natural (looks really really glisteny and shiny), but at the same time it also does look pretty darn natural and regardless looks very pretty. Japanese voice acting (at least Shenhua's!) is top notch. Some of the human body motions look a little unnatural or jerky. But as is typical of a Shenmue game, the attention to minor visual details is astounding in rooms and buildings. Just look at the interior of that room at 0m25s, for example! The wall scrolls, the folding screens, the carpet, the lanterns. The soundtrack in this trailer is the thing that has me most excited -- a Shenmue song I've never heard before, and it's every bit as majestic as all that's come before. Very excited to listen to the entire soundtrack!
Old 09-10-2018, 04:00 PM   #59
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Speaking of which, we got a release date: August 27th, 2019! That's only one year away from the writing of this post. I'm pretty satisfied with that, too.
That's as abymsal a date as the botched Shenmue Collection is -_-
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games