UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 04-27-2018, 04:35 PM   #551
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Lyndis is only forced for the tutorial story and the endgame though. For the most part she's just another unit. And a sort of mediocre one at that.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:59 PM   #552
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeney View Post
I always level up lords because you're forced to select them. If you're going to show up for a battle, you may as well be useful!
I mean Lords, in fairness, are already pretty useful. They often recruit other characters and seize maps. In some games, they're the only unit who can visit villages. There isn't a huge need for Lords to be combat units when it typically requires a lot of EXP and a promotion which usually only occurs as a result of a story. Units who already have uses can be given fewer kills and EXP, which in turns makes other units who typically turn out to be better combat units end up better because those kills can be funneled into those units.

(Experience economy is interesting and I think it deserves a bit of merit in overall strategy.)
Old 04-27-2018, 05:08 PM   #553
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

It does, especially in FE7 where your lords promote in the dying chapters (iirc the first Heaven Seal is in ch20 of about 30 max?). It's also worth noting that Lyndis is only technically your main lord for ten chapters of somewhat easy tutorial. After that she's a non-forced lord who isn't that great as a unit: the mani katti's effective bonuses are basically cancelled by the fact it's basically permanently at WTD when the effectiveness kicks in. By the point at which you get Lyn for the main story, she's sort of irrelevant.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:44 PM   #554
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I'm currently playing Awakening where you can get unlimited experience points by fighting skirmishes on the map. I miss the limited amount of experience that's available in games like FE7. It adds a whole new layer of strategy to the game, forcing you to make tough decisions on who to bench, who to invest in etc.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:40 AM   #555
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeney View Post
I'm currently playing Awakening where you can get unlimited experience points by fighting skirmishes on the map. I miss the limited amount of experience that's available in games like FE7. It adds a whole new layer of strategy to the game, forcing you to make tough decisions on who to bench, who to invest in etc.
Try playing and ignoring the (entirely optional) skirmishes.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:34 PM   #556
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I'm a purist in that I like to play games to their fullest extent within the boundaries of the rules. Avoiding skirmishes feels like an artificial challenge. It's like when I complain about certain strategies in Civilization 6 being overpowered and hoping that the developers nerf it in a patch. People sometimes counter my complaint by saying: "You know, you can just not use that strategy" but that's just an artificial solution. I'd prefer it if the Fire Emblem developers eliminated skirmishes entirely and forced people to budget their armies.

That said, it's not like I'm abusing skirmishes to a huge extent. I mostly just want to level up support conversations and see people's children from the future.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:28 AM   #557
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

It's much more accomodating to have the difficulty be determined by the player rather than the game. It gets more sales and more replays becausw you decide how bad it's going to be. Skirmishes aren't likely to go anywhere I don't think, they'll just remain optional so that if you want to just charge through the chapters a la typical FE, it's entirely doable.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:01 AM   #558
phoopes
Double Dragon

I kind of get what he's saying though, like if something is in a game I feel almost obligated to use it/do it if it doesn't take that much effort. The skirmishes in Awakening were a good way to get money I took advantage of that. The only time I really don't do optional stuff in a game is when it requires Internet connection
Old 05-02-2018, 01:46 AM   #559
phoopes
Double Dragon

No update on FE7 because of finals week but this is pretty neat

http://fesorter.tumblr.com/

I recommend only doing it for one game at a time lol (I did it for just Awakening and it took awhile)

Here's my Awakening list by the way:
Spoiler: show

1 Nowi
2 Donnel
3 Gregor
4 Tharja
5 Basilio
6 Cherche
7 Vaike
8 Tiki
9 Lissa
10 Flavia
11 Henry
12 Owain
13 Cordelia
14 Lon'qu
15 Gangrel
16 Gerome
17 Lucina
18 Kellam
19 Sully
20 Chrom
21 Robin
22 Morgan
23 Sumia
24 Olivia
25 Anna
26 Frederick
27 Miriel
28 Virion
29 Ricken
30 Panne
31 Say'ri
32 Stahl
33 Emmeryn
34 Walhart
35 Aversa
36 Libra
37 Maribelle
38 Gaius
39 Nah
40 Noire
41 Yen'fay
42 Inigo
43 Kjelle
44 Severa
45 Yarne
46 Cynthia
47 Laurent
48 Brady
49 Priam
50 Validar
Old 08-11-2019, 07:16 PM   #560
phoopes
Double Dragon

alright I'm having a brain fart

I have a very vivid memory of playing either Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn and the requirement for the one battle was that a certain amount of units needed to be killed (I think 50?) and there were three armies on the field (I think)

I'm Googling it and cannot find it. And my copies of PoR and RD are nowhere close by.

Please help and tell me that I'm not crazy
Old 08-11-2019, 07:18 PM   #561
phoopes
Double Dragon

Also in a completely separate note, a comment on one of the earlier chapters of Three Houses

Spoiler: show
Why is it called the battle of the eagle and the lion? Like yeah the black eagles and the blue lions are participating but MY GOLDEN DEER ARE GETTING DISRESPECTED
Old 02-11-2020, 10:30 PM   #562
chelovek
Pokemon Trainer

the train is goind go hell
chelovek is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games