UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 12-24-2017, 01:37 AM   #26
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanturn View Post
I like SM. It's fun and light and watching it has a de-stressing effect. The captains (classmates) are all pretty interesting and some of them are surprisingly fleshed out.

I still can't believe that

SM21 spoiler
Spoiler: show
the writers had the balls to kill off Stoutland, who was basically a recurring character by that time. Granted, he died of old-age and its body wasn't show on screen but still, wow.
Dang it, I just got to this episode, and I surprisingly found myself tearing up a bit. Cause this happened to me once upon a many years ago.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:24 PM   #27
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

EPISODE 25 ON 12/25:

OMG this series is so awesome. My instincts were right that this was the series to pick if I wanted to board back on the Pokemon train. I'm almost through one season already and the amount of arse it's kicked is remarkable.

I gotta say though that Rotom is probably the series' biggest contribution, in spite of the huge gains Team Rocket has made. I'm actually disappointed most people familiar with the old-style Pokedex don't freak out at him, because certainly that's how I felt seeing him for the first time.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-25-2017, 11:47 PM   #28
Char
Banned

Been consistently watching major episodes of Pokemon S&M - it's been good stuff. Latest arc especially. Curious to see how it proceeds from here.

Almost at episode 1000 in the series.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:13 AM   #29
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So given the direction the anime is taking, and knowing plot points from US/UM:

Is it just me or is it hecka fishy that Pokemon, I Choose You! is explicitly said to take place in an "alternate universe"? When the movie debut people just assumed "different canon" but isn't it possible now for this, and the real canon, to be linked via Ultra Wormholes?

At Episode 36 now. This is officially the most Pokemon anime I've watched since Johto, a whopping 16 years ago. My experience is very weird:

Games: RBY, GSC, BW
Anime: Kanto, Orange, Johto (through Whitney), Alola
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-28-2017, 03:42 AM   #30
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Episode 44

Aside from the Island Trials, the vast majority of SM would be considered "filler" were this years ago. But I see only like 5 episodes tops that could be called filler, in that the plot or character arcs don't move forward, and 3 of those were very exciting.

Now comes the actual Sun & Moon story, I wager. I guess these next ten episodes will make or break what is otherwise the strongest series Pokemon series I've seen yet.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-30-2017, 06:24 AM   #31
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

And with that, I've caught up.

So, a review. How do I compare Sun/Moon to my limited experience with the anime (Kanto, part Johto)?

I'd say this is, by a long shot, the best anime adaption of the games yet. But what it actually does adapt of the game is not so good. The Ultra Wormhole arc that compromised the last 5 episodes was poorly developed and not all that interesting.

Lusamine is interested in UB's for no reason. Faba is evil for no reason, no explanation for why his research was shut down...there's more but I forgot, and don't care that much. From the human POV, the Hoshigumo arc makes little sense. The battles were boring, too.

This is kind of unfair to Sun/Moon on the whole because this anime does SOL very, very well. It's consistently fresh and funny, with minor development that adds up across the series. Being forced to use the game plotline made it worse!

I'll give S/M an 8/10, or Outstanding for now.

Pro's

-great animation
-funny, SOL well written
-solid character development
-Team Rocket is a mixture of BW/OS

Con

-adapted game story arc is so-so
-also rushed
-battles are less exciting/interesting than XY
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-02-2018, 01:21 AM   #32
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The Ultra Beasts are here, and they're turning Alola into Muv-Luv Alternative.

This is the content I crave.

Pokemon needs more trippy, extreme things like this.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 02-02-2018 at 01:29 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:51 AM   #33
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Sun & Moon 61:

This show has lost its goddang mind. You could see it though. The year+ of slice-of-life was just building up to this. The wheels on the bus have fallen off, then blasted off into orbit.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-24-2018, 02:49 AM   #34
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Episode 63

The big focus on this episode is Litten evolving into Torracat, but I think the more meta concern is we've seen this fight before.

It's basically the exact same fight as in Pokemon - I Choose You!, except in this case it's Litten/Torracat instead of Charmander/Charmeleon.

Charizard fought Incineroar twice, as a newly evolved Charmeleon, and then he evolved into Charizard during the rematch. I don't think Torracat will evolve further, but it's an interesting and (probably) deliberate parallel, which hints that the upcoming M21 will also sport alternate reality shenanigans.

Additionally, with confirmation that Incineroar is Kukui's starter (since Ash's first Pokemon in the region was Rowlet), it looks like his anime team is resembling his game team.

Braviary
Incineroar
Lycanroc (probable)

I am betting 1000% on Lycanroc, though which Forme is under speculation. We've already seen 2 Midday, 2 Midnight Lycanroc in the series (two wild, one owned by Gladion/Olivia) and Cross in the movie had a Midnight Lycanroc.

Burnett has a Munchlax, so it's probably that will go on Kukui's team as well. The only mystery then would be Magnezone, which we haven't seen hint of at all.

Here's my speculation of Ash's team for the final fight in the series:

Pikachu (Electric)
Infernape (Fire/Fighting)
Mega Sceptile (Grass/Dragon)
Ash Greninja (Water/Dark)
Ultra Naganadel (Poison/Dragon)
Ho-Oh (Flying/Fire)
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-10-2018, 04:53 AM   #35
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

SM 65!

I really like how this show's slice-of-life rolls. There are some nice throwback scenes. My favourite in this one was Kiawe continuing to imitate Buzzwole's poses even though Buzzwole went back home a month ago.

It adds a genuine sense of continuity in how the characters remember and respond to their experiences.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-10-2018, 08:37 PM   #36
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Giga spoilers! Ash's final SM team?

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-22-2018, 05:48 PM   #37
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Sun Moon 67

I kept wondering why Poipole was so interested in Pikachu's electricity. I guess the obvious reason is, it's bright light...like Necrozma's.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-29-2018, 04:45 PM   #38
AK2
Boulder Badge

Send a message via AIM to AK2 Send a message via Skype™ to AK2
Sex?
AK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:39 AM   #39
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Mamane gets a girlfriend.

It's Celesteela.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-03-2018, 11:52 PM   #40
AK2
Boulder Badge

Dopple, did you see this week's episode? SOOO good! Team Rocket episodes are always gold!
Old 05-04-2018, 12:08 AM   #41
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Yes, I cross posted about it in the USUM thread, since it actually answers a weird scene from the game. AK2, how do you rate SM compared to previous series? I've watched select episodes from XY and they've massively inferior to even a basic SM episode.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-11-2018, 01:48 AM   #42
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Uwaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

GIOVANNI'S GOAL IS TO CAPTURE ULTRA NECROZMA!!!!!

This >>>>
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-17-2018, 02:27 PM   #43
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

SM075

Tapu Bulu was surprisingly even tempered, from how it destroyed the Tapu Village in the game I thought it would be pretty violent. Consider, Tapu Lele was something of a bully herself when Ash visited Akala.

This episode felt really empty but a lot happened in it. It's one of the weaker SM episodes, regardless.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-19-2018, 02:30 AM   #44
AK2
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Yes, I cross posted about it in the USUM thread, since it actually answers a weird scene from the game. AK2, how do you rate SM compared to previous series? I've watched select episodes from XY and they've massively inferior to even a basic SM episode.

I like it.

I didn't like it that much when I first started watching, because I was not happy about the VERY rapid change in plot direction and animation style. Over time, what changed was that the show grew on me because it's fun/funny, has enough of a story that I don't feel like Im wasting my time BUT im also able to just relax after a stressful day, and because, well, I decided it wasn't fair to compare such a vastly different series to XY.

This current arc is fun, and I am VERY surprised that the writer's have given TR the munition they need to be a real threat to Ash. Gotta love Bewear, it's gonna be great next week when she learns what's really been going on over the last two episodes. I am VERY surprised with what the writers have done with Giovanni, I couldn't see that coming.

Is it me though, but is it hard to get too emotionally invested with Ash's stationary buddies? When we had a SMALLER group and there were episodes of varying quality or importance, it still allowed for growth. Now, not feeling it that much. I mean, Sophocles still almost feels like a -new- character to me after a year and a half, you know?

I will say that I respectfully have a different taste though when comparing the series to XY. I have heard people talk about how the fillers weren't great (has Pokemon ever been known for good fillers since maybe the first 60 episodes?), but XY will always be the series where we had Serena, a NEAR league victory, and some of the best battles in the franchise.

Dopple, how do you think the League will play out?
Old 05-19-2018, 05:15 AM   #45
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Emotionally invested, maybe not. But it's pretty clear the SM cast has had a LOT more character development than the XY cast. Part of that is the nature of the recurring setting - Ash doesn't just see the same classmates everyday, he sees the same community each day which gives the characters a sense of continuity you usually don't get with the "character of the day" format.

Lillie has gotten over her fear of Pokemon, Kiawe is now thrilled about the concept of a Pokemon League, Gladion sees Ash as a rival, Mamane is more open and friendly (originally he was sort of anti-social)...only Suiren hasn't had a challenge I think. Even Mao got into a fight with her father.

The cast's personality types are also far more subdued than XY - XY tended more toward caricature. Eureka is precocious and a bit perverted, Citron super intelligent but socially awkward and prudish, and Serena is throwing herself at Ash (who is chemically inert). I don't think anyone except Lillie was quite as extreme as those four.

I watched some choice episodes out of XY and the XY movies to compare against SM, and really there's no comparison. XY's writing is REALLY bland and shallow, it doesn't have much weight or person until we get to the battles.

Ash is also very different in SM than in any other series (not just looks), have you caught on to how?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-24-2018, 06:55 PM   #46
AK2
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Emotionally invested, maybe not. But it's pretty clear the SM cast has had a LOT more character development than the XY cast. Part of that is the nature of the recurring setting - Ash doesn't just see the same classmates everyday, he sees the same community each day which gives the characters a sense of continuity you usually don't get with the "character of the day" format.

Lillie has gotten over her fear of Pokemon, Kiawe is now thrilled about the concept of a Pokemon League, Gladion sees Ash as a rival, Mamane is more open and friendly (originally he was sort of anti-social)...only Suiren hasn't had a challenge I think. Even Mao got into a fight with her father.

The cast's personality types are also far more subdued than XY - XY tended more toward caricature. Eureka is precocious and a bit perverted, Citron super intelligent but socially awkward and prudish, and Serena is throwing herself at Ash (who is chemically inert). I don't think anyone except Lillie was quite as extreme as those four.

I watched some choice episodes out of XY and the XY movies to compare against SM, and really there's no comparison. XY's writing is REALLY bland and shallow, it doesn't have much weight or person until we get to the battles.

Ash is also very different in SM than in any other series (not just looks), have you caught on to how?
In regard to Ash being different...... biggest reboot ever in personality? He acts like a 10 year old boy?

I have to respectfully disagree on Alolan characters vs Kalos. Yes, the current cast is a lot more eccentric, but the Alolan cast holds a place in my heart, but to each their own.

Did you see the newest episode? As of May 24
Old 05-24-2018, 11:35 PM   #47
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2 View Post
In regard to Ash being different...... biggest reboot ever in personality? He acts like a 10 year old boy?
Sort of.

The defining quality of his character since OS was that he was obsessed with battling and getting stronger. You don't see that here in SM, where he and Pikachu are more concerned with having fun rather than battling explicitly. They still get excited about battling but it's not a singular obsession like it was in say, Kalos.

Ash has to be pushed by his Pokemon, usually Rockruff or Litten, to want to train them. The only Pokemon Pikachu got worked up over fighting were the totems, Ultra Beasts or Tapu Koko.

His treatment of Rowlet is a good example of this, he hasn't been so lax with a Pokemon since Johto. Rowlet doesn't care much for battles despite being pretty good at them. In the past, Ash would still grind such a Pokemon and he hasn't.

Quote:
I have to respectfully disagree on Alolan characters vs Kalos. Yes, the current cast is a lot more eccentric, but the Alolan cast holds a place in my heart, but to each their own.
I don't think they're more eccentric...they're more normal than the Kalos crew was. Part of that is seeing the SM cast do ordinary activities:

-Mao cooking at her restaurant
-Suiren fishing
-Kiawe delivering milk on his Charizard
-Kukui teaching
-Mamane doing stuff on his computer
-Acerola reading to children
-Team Rocket selling honeymitsu

The slice-of-life aspect has been really pushed forward in this, even if we've seen stuff like this in the past we haven't seen it all at once. TR for example usually sells things but mostly as a disguise: they're actually making money in this scenario and doing it for that reason.

Quote:
Did you see the newest episode? As of May 24
No, it wasn't out when I left home.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-25-2018, 03:05 AM   #48
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

LOL WTF WAS THAT?!

THAT IS SOME DUMB CRACK.

FIVE MOVES?? And tanking Let's Snuggle Forever...after all that damage!

WORSE THAN KALOS
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #49
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The climax of SM is upon us. August episode titles:

Quote:
Alola's Crisis! The Darkness that Devours Radiance!!
Lunala VS UB:BLACK! A Full Moon Battle!!
Prism of Light and Darkness, Its Name is Necrozma!!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #50
AK2
Boulder Badge

Quote:
The climax of SM is upon us. August episode titles:

Glad to see your still watching! I guess i'm not the only one left! Here's what I'll say:

- Last few episodes were pretty weak. WTH was that last episode about? Next week doesn't sound better.
- I do believe things will pick up with the titles you brought up.
- We can only hope it STAYS on track, with the Hey You games coming out in November, I can image they will want to wrap this up by then.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime