UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate

Old 05-16-2017, 01:35 PM   #3801
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
It's my understanding from news coverage that the President has the power to declassify shit at will, so pretty much any reveal of information by him is legal.

Whichever allied country gave the US the info in the first place is liable to be pissed like, though.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #3802
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by The US Constitution
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.
If this were during the Cold War, then maybe if the information was sensitive/critical enough. But now? I don't think Russia really qualifies as enough of an Enemy for treason charges to actually apply. Especially given all the statements Trump's made about wanting to work with Russia. But as Concept says, Trump has the power to declassify and disclose information at will.

So, in the end same verdict as Hillary's email server. Irresponsible? Yes. Careless? Yes. Criminal? Nope.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #3803
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
It's my understanding from news coverage that the President has the power to declassify shit at will, so pretty much any reveal of information by him is legal.

Whichever allied country gave the US the info in the first place is liable to be pissed like, though.
https://www.lawfareblog.com/bombshel...changing-story

TL;DR: you're correct that it's not illegal since the classification system as is exists by executive order, but it is likely gross negligence bordering on violating the oath of office (if there was any actual chance Trump would be impeached over it).

Also saw this earlier today re: the reason for at least some leaks:

http://theresurgent.com/i-know-one-of-the-sources/

Quote:
What sets this story apart for me, at least, is that I know one of the sources. And the source is solidly supportive of President Trump, or at least has been and was during Campaign 2016. But the President will not take any internal criticism, no matter how politely it is given. He does not want advice, cannot be corrected, and is too insecure to see any constructive feedback as anything other than an attack.

So some of the sources are left with no other option but to go to the media, leak the story, and hope that the intense blowback gives the President a swift kick in the butt. Perhaps then he will recognize he screwed up. The President cares vastly more about what the press says than what his advisers say. That is a real problem and one his advisers are having to recognize and use, even if it causes messy stories to get outside the White House perimeter.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:39 PM   #3804
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
That's pretty clever. Trump might not be smart enough to catch on, but he will eventually purge the leakers and eventually Trump will be unable to surround himself with capable people who share his vision.

It sucks though that he doesn't trust his advisers. He did trust them back during The Apprentice. What changed?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:50 PM   #3805
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Honestly, I think it's just that he's old as fuck. He's older than Reagan was, and Reagan was NOT a spring chicken.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:52 PM   #3806
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
It sucks though that he doesn't trust his advisers. He did trust them back during The Apprentice. What changed?
I don't think Trump has ever given two shits about any sort of advice or criticism (that wasn't given in such a way to allow him to convince himself that he thought of it, at least): we're noticing it now because the stakes of the presidency are a lot higher than the stakes of a reality TV show, there's no editing for effect, and the personality flaws that didn't matter in the grand scheme of things when Trump was a penny-ante grifter are of much greater concern when he leads the world's sole superpower.

Or, as the man who ghostwrote the Art of the Deal put it:

Quote:
Over the past week, in the face of criticism from nearly every quarter, Trump’s distrust has almost palpably mushroomed. No importuning by his advisers stands a chance of constraining him when he is this deeply triggered. The more he feels at the mercy of forces he cannot control — and he is surely feeling that now — the more resentful, desperate and impulsive he becomes.

Even 30 years later, I vividly remember the ominous feeling when Trump got angry about some perceived slight. Everyone around him knew that you were best off keeping your distance at those times, or, if that wasn’t possible, that you should resist disagreeing with him in any way.

In the hundreds of Trump’s phone calls I listened in on with his consent, and the dozens of meetings I attended with him, I can never remember anyone disagreeing with him about anything. The same climate of fear and paranoia appears to have taken root in his White House.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Honestly, I think it's just that he's old as fuck. He's older than Reagan was, and Reagan was NOT a spring chicken.
Exacerbated by the stress of the position and an already unhealthy lifestyle, no doubt. Also because Trump has such a narrow view of reality that it is literally inconceivable to him that people are not falling over themselves to kiss his ass now that he's president, which is probably one of the reasons why he won't fucking shut up about his electoral college win.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:35 PM   #3807
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

He's so obsessed with his win he's allegedly hanging a map of it in the White House.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:01 AM   #3808
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoise View Post
I don't think Trump has ever given two shits about any sort of advice or criticism (that wasn't given in such a way to allow him to convince himself that he thought of it, at least): we're noticing it now because the stakes of the presidency are a lot higher than the stakes of a reality TV show, there's no editing for effect, and the personality flaws that didn't matter in the grand scheme of things when Trump was a penny-ante grifter are of much greater concern when he leads the world's sole superpower.

Or, as the man who ghostwrote the Art of the Deal put it:
That's very damning. It explains why he's been so easily manipulated, and the behaviour is simple and telegraphed enough that we can observe it ourselves and agree with those assertions.

My co-worker said this is a legit Hitler comparison, as Hitler himself had a temper and blew up over any slight levied at him, and was unable to trust most of his advisers. Though Hitler's source of vulnerability - the sense of loss in World War I, and then the bitterness and the Weimer instability - is considerably more mature than Trump's.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-20-2017, 02:42 AM   #3809
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

That funny moment when the Onion gets it right.

This is basically all barrelling down really badly for Trump. For once he's been saddled with a scandal that can be dragged out forever and ever in a Hillary-esque manner, and worst of all he's contributing to it by dumb moves like firing Comey in the middle of the investigation and blabbing to Russia while this was still a story and just meddling with the investigation at all... like come on dude. Hillary's got terrible PR skills and she shot herself in the foot less.

And it'll probably keep getting worse until it's over, because basically the entire government seems to be leaking to WaPo or the NYT.

Also god fucking dammit Trump, you just fired a highly politicized FBI Director. Why would you replace him with Lieberman who's a prominent former politician. And also pissed off a whole lotta Democrats along the way because he stopped being a team player towards the end of his term. Because yay polarization.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:52 AM   #3810
phoopes
Double Dragon

Covfefe:

Comey
Observed
Villains,
Fully
Erase
FBI
Evidence

GUYS I FIGURED IT OUT IT'S ALL PART OF A COVERUP #EXPOSED #FAKENEWS????
Old 06-01-2017, 05:44 AM   #3811
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Comfey
Oranguru
Vanilluxe
Farfetch'd
Ekans
Flaaffy
Electrode

What do these all have in common? They're all Pokemon. "Well sure Crys", you say, "but so what, you can assign fucking anything to letters." Well dear reader, let me inform you about Trump's Covfefe scheme in a few simple steps.

See, first let's start with the C for Comfey. You would figure it would be Comey, right? Wrong, fake news. Let's get down to business to what a Comfey exactly is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulbapedia
Comfey is a small, light green Pokémon with several flowers surrounding it. Its main body has an orange face with oval, light green eyes. On top of its head is a long, fluffy green crest that curls slightly over its face and extends backwards. A thin blue thread is attached to the back of its head, and has several flowers attached to it. The flowers are white, purple, red, and yellow. Comfey usually holds the last flower in its two short arms. On either side of the main crest is a smaller, pale yellow tuft.
This Pokémon picks flowers to create the ring around itself, and will give these rings to those it likes. The flowers can also be thrown at enemy Pokémon to create an opening to either flee or attack. Comfey spreads oil from its body along its flower ring. The oil changes the flower so they emit a soothing fragrance that affects both Comfey and its allies. This aroma can also help with the treatment of people and Pokémon at hospitals.

Notice the similarities between Comfey and our current presidential situation. Both are orange, and have absurd crests of hair. Both Comfey and our president surrounds themselves with things they find nice, and keep the nice things tied down on strings as a puppet master. Both Comfey and our president have short arms as well, and by that regard tiny hands. The two also give "flower chains" of their own to people they "like" in order to gain favor. Similarly, Trump will toss the flowers surrounding him in order to protect himself or attack another entity. Like a Comfey, Trump is covered in grease and oil, and secretes said oil all over his special little flowers until they reek just the same of him.

TL;DR Trump is Comfey. Get it? Got it? Good.

But what can a Comfey do by itself without help? Here is where the O comes in for Oranguru. See, like a Comfey and Oranguru are to Alola, Trump and his associates are to fucking monkeys. Trump and his associates are boosted bonobos who have no fucking clue what they're doing, but hide behind a fan of "intelligence", quite like Oranguru. Even though they have guru in the name they're fucking retards and we both know it.

So to catch you up to speed so far, Trump is a flowery comfey who surrounds himself with fucking monkeys. Get it? Got it? Good.

Now, the next letter, V, is somewhat self explanatory but I figured I'd go over it just for the sake of completion. See, Vanilluxe represents the hard work of the middle class, which trump licks up and eats like ice cream. While we labor away with our two headed political system, we're fucking frozen desert for trump. What flavor you ask? Not Vanilla, no no no. Vagina. We all know Trump has an obsession for grabbing things by the pussy, and in this case our pussy is the cone while he licks our creamy, milky outsides.

In addition, recently kots has opened a new cold stone creamery, which, would you have it, is backed up at the top by the trump administration. Ice cream, pokemon, pots, trump, it all comes together. Good god.

Now I know what you're saying, this all sounds a little far-fetched, right? Wrong fuckaroo, This is what trump wants you to think, but it's all part of the plan. The first F is for, you guessed it, FARFETCH'D. He keeps shit up with his rediculous name and mannerisms, with his beating stick to smack and chop at criticism. Like the Farfetch'd, he keeps on fucking existing, despite the fact that he should be extinct already. BUT HE KEEPS GOING ON. If I didn't know better I'd say he was a sunfish. Now what is a sunfish but Alomomola? Well not today. That's not where the rabbit hole goes right now, although let me tell you the Lopunny hole is deeeeeeeeeeeeep af.

Now, the first E is probably one you for yourself have figured out. Ekans is snake backwards. Big deal right? Wrong, fake news, he would have you think. But let's take a look at Ekans real quick, mmk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulbapedia
Ekans is a purple, serpentine Pokémon. Its eyes, underbelly, the thick stripe around its neck, and rattle are yellow. Ekans has three pairs of black lines encircling its body, as well as another line that connects each slitted eye and curves toward its nose. Its large mouth has a round, pink tongue and no visible teeth. While painful, a newborn Ekans's bite is not venomous. This Pokémon grows longer with age.
Ekans lives in grassy savannas and plains, where it moves stealthily through grass. It preys on Eggs from Pidgey and Spearow nests, but can strike other prey from behind. By flicking its tongue out, it is able to detect danger and the scent of prey. Its jaw can detach to swallow large prey, but such a meal can make Ekans too heavy to move. It wraps itself around tree branches at night to rest. If not in a tree, it will coil itself up—a position in which it can defend itself from all directions. It was also shown in the second movie to possess some swimming abilities. Its former signature move is Glare.

So first off the big notice is the fucking ridiculous looking eyes and LOTS OF YELLOW, LIKE HIS HAIR. As a snake, it has a slitted mouth and no real nose. Kinda like Voldemort here, who's real name is Tom Riddle.

Now see, like Tom Riddle, it's a fucking riddle to figure out what the fuck Trump is doing. He's a real fucking snake oiler, like the speed racer driver. Similarly to Snake Oiler, he spreads that fucking oil I mentioned earlier thick, all over the political track. Now, let us further compare the similarities between Trump and Ekans. See, when young, they both posed no threat. A lot of bark maybe, but no real action. But as he's grown in age, he's become a venomous pest. Like Ekans, Trump sometimes picks on more than he can chew, and ends up sitting around like a fucking goof while he tries to digest it all. When all goes awry, he just fucking glares at people. Hell, things can be going right and he still glares. Lastly, Ekans in the Pokemon MYSTERY (think riddle again it's a fucking mystery) Dungeon series is part of a rescue team (a villainous team hiding under the moniker of rescue, like his campaign) called team Meanies. Both are pretty mean. Case rested. Get it? Got it? Good.

So to recap from here, Trump is a flowery comfey who surrounds himself with fucking monkeys, eats the middle class for ice cream, is real damn farfetched, and is a snake. Get it? Got it? Good. Eat it. Just eat it.

How come you're always such a fussy young man
Don't want no Captain Crunch, don't want no Raisin Bran
Well, don't you know that other kids are starving in Japan
So eat it, just eat it

Don't want to argue, I don't want to debate
Don't want to hear about what kind of food you hate
You won't get no dessert 'till you clean off your plate
So eat it

Don't you tell me you're full
Just eat it, eat it, eat it, eat it
Get yourself an egg and beat it
Have some more chicken, have some more pie
It doesn't matter if it's boiled or fried
Just eat it, eat it, just eat it, eat it
Just eat it, eat it, just eat it, eat it, ooh

Your table manners are some cryin' shame
You're playin' with your food, this ain't some kind of game
Now, if you starve to death, you'll just have yourself to blame
So eat it, just eat it

You better listen, better do what you're told
You haven't even touched your tuna casserole
You better chow down or it's gonna get cold
So eat it

I don't care if you're full
Open up your mouth and feed it
Have some more yogurt, have some more spam
It doesn't matter if it's fresh or canned
Don't you make me repeat it
Have a banana, have a whole bunch
It doesn't matter what you had for lunch
Eat it, eat it, eat it, eat it

Eat it, eat it, eat it, eat it
If it's gettin' cold, reheat it
Have a big dinner, have a light snack
If you don't like it, you can't send it back
Get yourself an egg and beat it (oh lord)
Have some more chicken, have some more pie
It doesn't matter if it's boiled or fried
Don't you make me repeat it (oh no)
Have a banana, have a whole bunch
It doesn't matter what you had for lunch

Have you eaten your fill? Get it? Got it? Good. Well here's some more lamb for you, but it's perhaps not served how you expect. See, the second F is for Flaaffy. Now, orange is trump, and trump is like a ginger. No soul. What do people without souls do? Shag sheep. Flaaffy is a sheep, and Trump shags it to hell and back. He shags that sheep vagina so raw it bleeds orange blood. The sheep represents the united states of america, which largely immigrated from britain, wales and many other countries. Get it? Got it? Good.

So here we come to the end. It's a forecast for our country's future. See, Electrode EXPLODE. OUR COUNTRY IS GOING TO FUCKING EXPLODE IN A VIOLENT SEA OF BLOOD AND CHEESE AT THE HAND OF THEM MIDDLE EASTERN PEOPLE. See, Trump has already confirmed he respects islam at a lowdown level, which is basically the same as supporting fucking ISIS right? Get it? Got it? Good.

So to recap one final time for those new viewers just tuning in, Trump is a flowery comfey who surrounds himself with fucking monkeys, eats the middle class for ice cream, is real damn farfetched, is a snake, is a sheepshagger, and is going to explode our country. Get it? Got it? Good. Mic drop n shit, I'm out. You're to blame for this, phoopsie.

*Disclaimer: This post is entirely satire, and does not represent my opinion or any truths of our president whatsoever. President Trump does as he pleases.
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:33 AM   #3812
Snorby
Snackin'

Crys I love you never change

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:50 AM   #3813
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

So he's pulling you out of the Paris agreement. Thankfully even Russia and China are like "no that's stupid we're staying the course", but depending on how badly the US veers outside Paris guidelines this could range from "very bad" to "well, civilisation had a good run".
Old 06-02-2017, 07:10 AM   #3814
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It's actually not that big a deal on paper, since it was voluntary agreements and the companies involved can just roll with it anyway. Trump isn't the first American to pull out of climate control concerns, nor is it solely the domain of American Republicans - Clinton did the same to the Kyoto Protocol, which was far more damnable.

Withdrawing from the Paris agreement is largely symbolic, and actually more beneficial to Trump than not. As many have pointed out, he's delivering on campaign promise and decidedly turning against the rich, corporate America and Washington who have financial reasons to support climate change initiatives (which is how Exxon got on board).

The Exxon thing really shatters one of the long-standing theories that petroleum companies exclusively engineered research disputing the existence of global warming. Now that most energy companies found a way to make moving to green energy more profitable than dirty, it's politics getting in the way of the free market.

Climate change, in general, is a red herring that Republicans have employed as a weapon of control.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-02-2017, 09:18 AM   #3815
Mozz
Golden Wang of Justice

Elon Musk was totally cool with all the shit DJT said but pulling out of a bullshit climate treaty that was never ratified by Congress is just TOO FAR

fucking rent seekers
Mozz's Van, named after Bulbagardens creditor, was a hidden forum section where staff members could share pictures of their tiny penises and engage in homosex. Sadly, HAVA media, Bulbagardens new corporate overlord, forced it's closure. Can't have porn on a children's website.
Mozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #3816
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

The Paris agreement is shitty and weakly enforced but staying in is at least a starting point and a gesture of "we don't want to fuck up our children's future too badly". The goal with it was to keep warming below 2 degrees from 1880 levels. As far as I understand it, optimistic projections on what'd been agreed through Paris so far were that it might be enough to keep us under 3 degrees warmer. That doesn't sound like much so a little context: 4 degrees colder was the depths of the last ice age. 8 degrees warmer was temperate forests at the poles. 3 degrees is a big fucking deal and he just went and fucked our best chance of keeping to that. Comparatively speaking, the power of corporate America is completely irrelevant and I don't give a shit if this is a blow against it because if it fucks our planet up too badly that will stop mattering.

Last edited by Concept; 06-02-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:56 AM   #3817
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Like I hinted at earlier, Exxon Mobil is pro-green energy because it is a more profitable venture than relying on fossil fuel. The demand for green energy goes along with demand for infrastructure, which Exxon builds on behalf of other companies or countries (or replaces existing infrastructure like pipelines). The infrastructure then meets current supply, allowing more industries to then make the switch to green, increasing the demand for green energy. Price of green energy goes up and Exxon then scales up infrastructure and energy production.

In the stock market right now, one of the hottest industries is fiber optic cables. Which seems silly when most of the world is already covered in fiber optic cables, right? Well, those cables need to be upgraded to support 5G technology (since it'll be a combo of wireless towers and fiber optic networks), so increased capacity, lower energy cables have to replace all the existing cables on Earth. Green energy is positioned to do the same to petroleum because it already has that marketing appeal of being pro-environment.

Exxon does not care about polluting. A mortician would murder people to fuel his own business if he were legally allowed to do so. But now that green energy and profit are aligned, energy companies are lining up to make the switch.

Trump, who positioned himself as pro-business, told them to bugger off.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-02-2017, 01:01 PM   #3818
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Yeah and that's all great and all, but also complete irrelevant if we fuck the climate up. Short of nuclear weapons this is the single biggest thing he can fuck up. A President who stripped literally all health care and welfare from the country but who is hot on climate change would be better than one who ticked all the right social boxes but drags your country out of something like the Paris accord.

In my opinion all that stuff with regards to Comey and Russia and whatever else just became meaningless in comparison. Modern first world socieity simply cannot survive substantial climate change and it can't be fixed once fucked. By comparison everything else is small.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:26 PM   #3819
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Don't sweat the Paris thing.

The US pulled out of Kyoto but there is evidence everywhere that the US is far more green than it was 20 years ago. You see it everywhere from the recycling options, ethanol at the gas pump and EPA-rated emission standard passes stamped on California cars.

Companies like Exxon will proceed with their green energy initiatives with or without Paris. Because it's profitable to do so.

Trump lost very little where it mattered pulling out of the agreement, except maybe telegraphing to big business that he actually doesn't care about them.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-02-2017, 08:18 PM   #3820
Connor
Flashbacker

Since we're on the topic of climate change, this is a pretty excellent idea which I do hope gets more backing.

Of course, this could warrant it's own topic for discussion, I just felt it should be something that attention be brought to.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:15 PM   #3821
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
So he's pulling you out of the Paris agreement. Thankfully even Russia and China are like "no that's stupid we're staying the course", but depending on how badly the US veers outside Paris guidelines this could range from "very bad" to "well, civilisation had a good run".
Leaving the Paris Agreement is bad but there's not much the US government can actually do to prevent global warming that companies and consumers aren't doing out of profit motive already. Even if Trump says "NO MORE ANTI-CLIMATE CHANGE RESTRICTIONS! WE CAN DO AS MUCH CLIMATE CHANGE AS WE WANT," we're basically just gonna get greener anyway. Renewable energy is so much cheaper than coal, after all.

What the EPA and other agencies should be focusing on is pollution, not climate change. But that's trickier to measure. There's a lot of pollution that we simply don't know about - for example, there's an uncomfortable amount of lead in America's non-Flint drinking water, which is still among the cleanest in the world.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:56 AM   #3822
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Every once in a while I reevaluate my political stances to see just how crazy I've become. I should be joining the Marine Corps soon so wouldn't that be a declaration of a move toward the far right? Well, I did the political compass (which I feel like I did a decade ago) and I've moved right for sure, but I'm still lurking around centre somehow:

I'm disappointed somehow. But as in 2003-2004, my extreme, polarizing beliefs on other sides of the spectrum tend to centre my position, although if you took into account variance there would be major swings in my voting pattern versus someone who was moderate on a lot of issues, and so close to centre.

This is how, despite being superficially closely aligned toward Hillary Clinton (who lies slightly north-right of me) I was vehemently against her and voted Trump.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-06-2017, 10:25 PM   #3823
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Every once in a while I reevaluate my political stances to see just how crazy I've become. I should be joining the Marine Corps soon so wouldn't that be a declaration of a move toward the far right?
I'm pretty sure that the marines don't hold political opinions on much of anything outside of being pro-idiot machismo and rape.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:54 PM   #3824
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Military leans right but is not far right.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:40 PM   #3825
deoxys
Fog Badge

Trump Jr. released his entire email conversation with Russian attorney

...resulting in further damnation
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate