UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries

Old 11-25-2016, 06:16 AM   #101
Jerichi
本✚能

Realistic is such an immensely low priority, especially when we have a new Generation to roll out. You all can just chill.

気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #102
Altocharizard55
The Scientist

In that case, my question is as follows: What high priority things are you expecting us to discuss?

Move rewrites are closed to our discussion, we don't really know much about the new generation implementation, etc. If we don't know what is considered "high priority" for our discussion, all that remains are low priority topics. Nobody was asking for this to be handled immediately. I'm simply not sure what you want the community to be considering right now, because the only thing that seems to be open to our input would be considered low priority in comparison.

Unless you would prefer us to not discuss anything at all as we wait for SuMo stuff to be released.

Other than the first question, if you want to pull a suggestion out of this post, consider reopening move discussion for the time being.

PASBL Stats

TL 4 (35-21-6)
Current owner of the Onslaught Badge and the Monolith Badge
Previous owner of the Indurate Badge and the Dual Wing Badge (Pre-scrap)
216 TP - 84 KOs - 20 SP (11 SP Debt to Machamp-X)
(W/L/D and stats recompiled as of 4/25/17)
Observe. Adapt. Evolve.
Altocharizard55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 04:23 PM   #103
Connor
Who Knows?

I mean there doesn't need to be a consistent, unending stream of discussion.

They're very busy with implementing SuMo above all else right now. I'm not surprised other things are taking a back seat. Introduction of an entire new generation takes priority over the things which are functional but could be more refined.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 04:41 PM   #104
Snorby
Snackin'

Yeah, what Connor said. Realistically, the community as a whole can't do much of anything without an LO or someone the LOs trust steering the discussion. Even if it doesn't devolve into a contest to see who can scream their opinions louder like it often does, at the end of the day the community would still have to, after discussing everything, throw it onto the plate of Jeri, or Miror, or Connor, or whoever else for them to look over, give the okay to, and implement. That's time they could be using to get SuMo ready for release, and most especially Miror and Jeri have very little time to spare with their hectic real lives.

It would be in the community's best interest, I think, to just sit tight for the couple weeks or however long it'll be until SuMo is released. Then I'm sure Jeri and the other LOs will be more than willing to discuss lower priority topics like move descriptions, SCs, and all that good stuff. I imagine there's a stack a mile high of things more important than realistic to take care of right now- because, make no mistake, Realistic is realistically (Hah!) one of the least pressing matters we could possibly discuss- so let's wait for that stack to be a little shorter until we delve into it further than we already have.

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:40 AM   #105
Shuckle
Mage of Mind

Warning: Shuckle talks about game design

Warning II: Older post that I typed up a couple days ago and still want to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaze
It really is one of those things where if we make that the case 90% of Exhibs will end up being just that because people want to be edgelords and brutalize opposing 'mon.
There are plenty of reasons why you may want to play Realistic. Here are a few that stood out to me beyond "Edgelording it":
  1. Different kind of strategy - less emphasis on "smart" gameplay and efficient use of resources and more on mechanics and intelligent targeting of critical areas
  2. The feel of being an impactful giant monster who can squash your enemies
  3. Serious consequences to falling, crushing, and biting that complicate what are otherwise straightforward battles
If people are complaining about losing Realistic, it's not because they miss brutalizing their pokemon. Nobody even likes the Pokemon Center requirement, that's a fucking chore and it's better off gone. Nobody wants to kill pokemon, etc. If that were the case, we'd have people yammering about "Hyper-Realistic mode" and saying "I want to play a game mode where I can fucking kill my enemy pokemon."

As people were saying earlier, having a pokemon die is nothing more than a setback anyway. It's not like this is Nuzlocke Pokemon Battle Simulator, where you have a limited and predetermined set of Pokemon you can encounter and capture. So when you're looking at why people like Realistic, you're looking explicitly at the injury part.

With that in mind, here are my suggestions for phasing out Realistic mode:
  1. Environmental damage is codified and buffed, with fall damage becoming a real threat and something to watch out for
  2. Moves that deal with strength or size are adjusted in damage scale, preventing large and strong pokemon from being too overbearing while still allowing them to use that size as a direct advantage
These mostly just keep things fresh on a per-battle basis, as well as to shake things up at higher levels of play. It's not a strong change, but it makes big monsters more fun to play while introducing ways to play around them...and the best part is that it doesn't really affect newbies too much, since TL1 and TL2 are full of small, light, not physically powerful pokemon.

Now for the Weird, Horrible Idea Suggestion:
Spoiler: show
Introduce and codify critical hits into ASB.

Crits in most games are a way to introduce RNG and keep things fresh. RNG is a way to leave things up in the air. However, ASB is a direct-competition environment, and luck elements can feel unfair and ridiculous. This is why we don't have crits.

My proposed solution is to have crits represent broken bones, cuts, and other Realistic effects. In Slapstick you'll only hear "Aim for the ______" if you're using Ice Beam or another freeze move on a flying type, or if your enemy has a Crush Claw or burned zone. However, in Realistic, you'll have people aiming to crush a pokemon's leg, slash their wings, drop them, do all sorts of things to physically hurt them so that they are less effective.

Landing a crit would reduce mobility in the affected area or take advantage of a vulnerable zone to do extra damage (the way Slash works now, but more broadly). The second is something we already do, especially for pokemon like Shuckle, but it would become part of the official rules.

Crits would be tied into the exhaustion system. It's more intuitive and realistic than the current tiredness system, and less punishing to newbies who see "You can use 2 attacks per round" and decide to use 2 attacks per round. Exhaustion would remain in its current form for moves like Hyper Beam and Giga Impact. This would prevent crits from being RNG related - it's all left up to the ref whether the pokemon was able to strike the area it aimed at, as well as what the effect on that area was, based on exhaustion and the move/pokemon in question.

We could also tie status effects into the crit system, with high-energy pokemon more reliably applying and/or resisting status. It's a little bit like how you have to breathe in the Stun Spores or Sleep Powder, but codified and broadened.

Bottom line: If there is something that people would miss if Realistic left, the obvious solution is to add it into Slapstick.
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #106
Eliteknight
Tommy used to work...

A Wild Suggestion Appeared:

Would it be possible to purchase an additional Gym Challenge (Not an instant one) for a sum of SP around 25?

I feel like this could help increase activity and it would help prevent some people from having to wait months to challenge a gym as well as help fill the empty Gym queues!

PASBL Squad l C+ Grade Ref l Grass Gym Trainer

Spoiler: show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Well I don't know I wanted to deal damage and Starmie is inorganic :X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Starmie is a starfish, it is not inorganic :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Kush I'm TL1. How am I supposed to know things if you don't tell me them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
It's a starfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
I have 1 SP. Retroactively claiming the SP tax on all the things I did whilst LO.

I now have 1 SP.

Last edited by Eliteknight; 04-14-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Eliteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:32 AM   #107
Snorby
Snackin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliteknight View Post
A Wild Suggestion Appeared:

Would it be possible to purchase an additional Gym Challenge (Not an instant one) for a sum of SP around 25?

I feel like this could help increase activity and it would help prevent some people from having to wait months to challenge a gym as well as help fill the empty Gym queues!
I personally really like this. Gives us another thing besides squad slots people will actually buy, stops people from stagnating in the TLs just because they're sitting on a queue for months on end, fills up the empty queues, of which we have at least four atm, (5 including Crys but his isnt up yet), and has no real downside other than adding more matches that need reffing but even then the only reason we have unreffed matches rn is because I'm busy with a GM and Miror and Kots are only just getting back into reffing. Realistically this seems like a no brainer to me, good on EK for thinking of it.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:40 PM   #108
Sneaze
#SWAG

Send a message via Skype™ to Sneaze
Honestly tho, Gym challenges are pretty hefty things and we don't want everyone and their mother to effectively have two challenges going at any given time. As such, while I do support the idea, I think the price should be raised. It's not a Legend Challenge where you have to wait forever even after spending a good chunk of SP if you're smart about who you challenge, so 50 is honestly probably fair. After all, it is supposed to be an SP sink.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Whatever Sneasel says is right
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:58 PM   #109
Snorby
Snackin'

50 seems kind of ridiculous. Low level Legend challenges cost noticeably less than that, and a instant challenge that you dont have to sit and wait on a queue for is less than half. Hell, a 6 pack of slots, which literally nobody every gets except for when it's on sale, costs just as much as that, and even those fast refs get discounts on.

I understand a desire to make it a notable SP sink and not marginalize gym challenges, but when you consider that I just sat on a queue for 6 months after giving up 4 months into sitting on a different queue, and this isn't even an uncommon occurrence, anything much higher than 30 seems ridiculous to me. Especially when you consider that the more realistically beatable GLs are the ones who have such slow-moving, constantly packed queues. Sure, if somebody challenges you there's no wait, but they're also probably/definitely going to lose if they do so and at that point they just wasted their SP. If it's that pricey, I probably wouldnt ever buy one and I don't think many others would either.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:10 PM   #110
Sneaze
#SWAG

To be fair, the things you've listed only sell during sales because sales are super predictable (which has been stated will be changing). And as I've said many a time we really need to lower our standards for GLship. There's really no reason to not have more than we even currently do, to be fair.

But again, that price was just a suggestion.

Quote:
Old 04-14-2017, 03:20 PM   #111
Snorby
Snackin'

Oh I understand it's only a suggestion I just wanted to voice my dissenting opinion XP

While you're partially right that people don't buy 6 packs etc at full price because sales are predictable, I know from my own experience as well as from others I've talked with that that isn't all of it. Asb is a slow moving game, and reffing, especially for those who don't get the 48 hour bonus and aren't one of the handful you usually see getting asked to ref gym and tournament matches,
is a slow process that only allots a small amount of sp at a time. When it's gonna often take you a year of Reffing to actually stockpile 50 sp, what's waiting for another sale or two or three or forty-seven for the thing you wanted to be on sale. ASB is such a naturally slow game that no matter how frequently something's on sale, the sp you save will almost always be more valuable than the time lost.

Definitely agree that we should lower standards on glship,
but then if you have a massive influx of GLs that exacerbated the problem of having a half dozen GLs with no defenses and empty queues, which in turn means we want more people to buy this and this will need a lower price xp

Old 04-14-2017, 03:34 PM   #112
Altocharizard55
The Scientist

I actually wholeheartedly disagree on the idea that we should lower our GLship standards; I think they are in a very, very reasonable place right now. (This is from the perspective of someone who would benefit from a "lower standard".) If you decrease the quality of GLs by a lot, you additionally stand to potentially devalue badges, which to me, are one of the more difficult things to acquire atm. I guess you could make a balancing argument here, but I think the current standard is reasonable.

I do really like the idea of being able to purchase an extra gym slot. (25 SP is IMO not too incredibly low if you max it at one, although yeah, it could probably stand to go up a bit. I wouldn't ever pay a full fucking 50 SP though, and this is coming from a badge whore. I could just as easily wait a little longer to buy a badge or buy a historic.) I think this is a good thing to look into though.

PASBL Stats

TL 4 (35-21-6)
Current owner of the Onslaught Badge and the Monolith Badge
Previous owner of the Indurate Badge and the Dual Wing Badge (Pre-scrap)
216 TP - 84 KOs - 20 SP (11 SP Debt to Machamp-X)
(W/L/D and stats recompiled as of 4/25/17)
Observe. Adapt. Evolve.
Altocharizard55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:48 PM   #113
Zelphon
Happy October

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
I agree with lowering it actually, not to say we should make *bad* people GLs but average ones would be nice as it can give newer trainers a goal or achievement to succeed at and I believe we're at a point where we need to give new trainers incentives and reasons to not only come but stay.

On a side note maybe giving gyms something of a tier system would be help, maybe the less proven GLs can have their position and badge but the badge and or arena for their lower tier gym have to be on the weaker side to compensate for how much easier it is to obtain their badge.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:51 PM   #114
Crys
Optimistic

I would like to suggest a buff to one of the obscure tokens offered in the shop, the Starter's Token.

Quote:
Starter's Token (10 SP) - This token boosts STAB attacks by 5%. So, for example, a Charizard wearing this token token will have boosted Fire and Flying type moves. If a Pokémon has had its type changed via type, this token boosts the type(s) to which it has been changed and does not boost the type(s) which it has lost.
It seems to be a tad out of date in power, especially given what the other 10 SP tokens offer for the same price, and even the 3 SP type tokens offer the same total power for one type alone. Could we buff the STAB boost to 10% or maybe 15%, or offer some other bonus alongside it?

Also:

Quote:
Defender's Token (5 SP) - This token negates any effects granted by tokens worn by opposing Pokémon. So, if this token's holder is facing a Pokémon holding a TwistedSpoon Token, that Pokémon will not enjoy boosted Psychic moves.
People seem to forget this token exists to begin with so it isn't much of an issue as it otherwise might be, but can we add in a line near the end clarifying that it doesn't prevent mega stones from working? As it reads right now it can stop Mega Stones, as they are classified as tokens.
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:02 PM   #115
Snorby
Snackin'

Considering the type enhancing tokens are 5% (or 10 idr) and cost way less so there's literally no reason to get the starter token for pure type mon yeah that could be ok

Though idk if buffing it would make people get it more.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:51 AM   #116
Sneaze
#SWAG

The Defender's Token is a non-issue that really just boils down to a stupid decision being made that can be un-made. We have always treated Mega Stones as if they weren't Tokens for the purpose of literally anything and everything else. Just call them what they are and be done with it. Nobody bothers to call them Tokens ever anyway.

Quote:
Old 04-25-2017, 05:54 AM   #117
Zelphon
Happy October

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
Remove tokens, simple.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation