UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Time Out

Old 12-16-2016, 05:13 PM   #1
Snorby
Snackin'

Shroomish ASBOs 2016: Voting

Well, friends, it's that time of year again! 2016 has come and gone, and it's been a fairly eventful year for the ASB- and unlike for the rest of the world, not all of those events were completely terrible! Good for us! We did some internally renovating and self-improvement, we shat out so many fuckin' Gym Leaders this year it would almost rival the number of children Connor's favorite sheep has birthed, and we even made tournaments wor- aahahahahaha okay no let's not get ahead of ourselves as last I checked Jesus in the flesh has not descended upon ASB (No, Connor, you don't count- don't even ask). Anyway, before I waste all my best Connor jokes on the intro to the thread, let me give everyone the low-down lower, even, than Connor goes on his Sheep OKAY I'LL STOP I PROMISE:

I'm hosting ASBOs 2016 because... well, who else was gonna? Connor can't mock himself, after all, and LO-ziness has permeated its way through ASB to the point where even non-LOs have the disease. Such is life. Anyway, for those who are new to this, this is our community's opportunity to poke fun at ourselves and each other, as well as to commemorate the year and what's happened in the ASB during it, all in the style of a glitzy, eyesore award show! Wooo! We've got lots of categories for you folks to vote on, and as usual, the top 3 (mostly) will be recognized. And, of course, we'll have Open Categories where you can submit your own awards for people, which I'll be moderating to ensure they don't get out of hand. Without further ado, onto the categories!

Best Newbie 2016
Previous Holder: TheKnightsFury
Previous 3rd Place Finisher: AJ-

This has always been one of my favorite categories. Once upon a time, it was the third place slot everyone coveted, as towering figures in the ASB such as Slash, Dave, and Ima_Penguin_95 all held that honor during their tenure as nublets. Despite this, things have seemed to trend more towards the First Place finisher being the one who winds up successful in ASB: In 2014, Count Chocula himself took the gold, while Roto and Josh tied for Bronze, and, well... Miror's currently an LO and a Gym Leader, and the other two are... not. Josh isn't even really around anymore. For 2015, TKF, our resident Water GL, took the gold, while AJ-, AKA, "Wait what are you sure this was a person in the ASB?", took third. So, I suppose we'll have to see where this year takes us, huh?

Well, let's take a look at this year's slate. For one, we've got Fairfax. He's been a bit busy and thus not very active as of late, but he's been a much appreciated and beloved presence in ASB and around the forums throughout the year. There's also GX Prodigy, who I've decided to count despite him having an extremely brief stint in ASB a year or so ago. He's greener than a Grovyle, and his enthusiasm for ASB is scarcely paralleled. Other folks who have joined this year include Solaire, Resolute, and Omegagoldfish. Oh, and let's not forget the greatest newbie of all time: Sharpie, who was tragically banned from Serebii the day they put up their squad early this year. We said then he would forever be in our hearts; let's not forget him now! Of course, anyone with a join date of December 2015 or later (as well as GX who I've grandfathered in) is eligible to win!

Coolest Squad
Previous holder: Slash

This award is meant for someone who has a really cool squad. What "cool" means is up to you. If you think giving your Pokemon personality and RP'ing them is cool, Trot Away is a great example of that. I can't even remember having seen him order without RP'ing. Then, you have Dave and Connor, our two British LOs who have squads so big you can't help but wonder what's small enough that it needs that kind of balancing. Of course, you might think themed squads are cooll, and if that's the case, Rotomotorz is your guy. His squad includes so many inorganics that I'm surprised he doesn't own a Starmie. If you like squads full of strange and obscure references, look no further than the squads of Emi and Kamen, our most over the top resident weebs. If you like seeing people use crappy Pokemon, look no further than Miror, our resident Rock GL and enthusiast of garbage such as Electrode and Shedinja. And, of course, there's the guy who's had the kinkiest of choke-holds on this category for years now, Slash, my predecessor as host of the ASBOs.

Best Sigmaker:
Previous holder: Slash

This was a new category this year, but due to the sig wipe we've seen a bit of a twist on it: Technically, any sig that is currently legal in the ASB counts for this award! Woo! The award is designed to honor those who have created some really awesome sigs. Of course, myself, Snorby, as well as Sneaze are obvious options, given we're the new sig approvers and as such will base your future sig approval rate on your votes, but there's plenty of other great options, as well. You've got Connor, who makes so many fucking sigs that I've wanted to murder him for single-handedly starting trends and forcing me to approve the same ten sigs over and over again for weeks on end. Then, you've got Slash (last year's winner), whose creative ideas and clever wording get him a lot of really interesting and powerful signatures. There's also Emi, whose ideas are so far out there that I've rejected some upwards of half a dozen times before they just barely squeak by, Miror, who has lots of leeway to get really creative with his sigs, mostly because his squad is full of garbage. He also has a Magcargo with a sig so good that it can 1v1 a Marowak. Mercutio also technically qualifies given he did submit a sig or two this year, but given he's long since left, a vote for him is fairly moot. He did have some really cool shit in his tenure, though!

TO Hero
Current Holder: Stealthy

This award goes to the hero ASB deserves but doesn't need right now but is stuck with anyway. Basically, look at what Stealthy has done in previous years, and that's basically it. However, do note that he doesn't have too strong of a claim to this award this year, since he up and left early in the year. Rip in pepperonis. Other options include TheKnightsFury and Beautiful Savage, who have shitloads of posts in the UPN TO, Ironthunder, who's always around to provide his bad opinions at a moment's notice, Emi, who placed last year, or... honestly, literally anyone not named Zelphon, because Zelphon should never, ever get nice things. EVER.

Best Battle 2016
Previous Holder: Zelphon vs Mercutio (Bird Scenario)

Last year, this category was an abomination, perhaps in part because Slash didn't offer any suggestions. So, I'll cave and offer you lazy fucks some suggestions because APPARENTLY PEOPLE CAN'T READ OTHER PEOPLE'S BATTLES. We've had quite a few great matches this year- there's special events, like Smart Contest Matches, (Big) Little Cup Matches, the epic, incredibly fun failure that was the Crimbus GM, and Connor and Dave's legend matches. Other than that, there have been some good, close Gym Matches, like Myself challenging Connor's Steel Gym, some landslide victories such as TKF's over Machamp in his Water Scenario, some thrilling GT matches, like Beautiful Savage challenging Grass GT TKF, and some interesting regular matches, such as Machamp-X vs Slash, Myself vs Kamen, Connor vs TKF, and AltoCharizard vs Aposteriori. Of course, though, you can vote for any battle you like, so long as half of its rounds or more happened this year.

Best Reffed Battle:
Previous Holder: GM III

This one I'm not going to give suggestions for because everyone's reffing tastes are different. Legend Matches are always good shouts for this, though. Of course, there's always the Crimbus GM; GMs are always big hits in this category and if you ignore the fact that the lack of reffings was what killed it, the rounds Sneaze DID ref were pretty legit!

Best ASB Moment!:
Previous holder: [REDACTED]

This is one of my favorite categories. I love our community. I think we're awesome and hilarious, and this category gives us a chance to revel in our awesome hilarity. We've had plenty of those moments this year, such as @MMSnorby spamming in the Discord chat (grumble grumble), Kush dropping a Tree on [REDACTED]'s Beartic in the Crimbus GM, Apollo's Epic Comeback. There are definitely a whole slew of other options, but for reasons of brevity and avoiding being mean I need to leave some out. Also, keep in mind that you might not want to vote for something that might be better suited to...

The Derp Award!
Previous Holder: Axed last year

That's right folks, I've decided to bring back the Derp Award to honor various members' biggest, most hilarious fuck-ups. Remember, this is for a specific event or action, not a general person or group of people. Of course, there was The Crimbus GM, which I honestly need not say anymore about. Alternatively, there's Jeri killing his own Admin Powers at UPN Con, which was pretty fantastic. You could also vote for me forgetting to Mega Evolve when ordering on my Phone and thus losing my Gym Match against Connor. You could even vote for Kots and Apollo leaving an ongoing match to rot for over a year as they both disappeared. They have since returned and only completed one round the entire battle. Bang-up job, fellas.

Most Improved
Previous Holders: Myself and Kamen

This is the award for people who, seemingly out of nowhere, leap from the depths of ASB obscurity to become a serious force to be reckoned with at a blistering pace. An obvious example of this is TheKnightsFury, who went from TL2 all the way to TL5 over the course of a single year, with a Water Gym to boot! Alternatively, Crys has been around for quite some time, but out of nowhere smashed Kush of all people into the dirt in a dark scenario and is on the cusp of getting his own gym. Altocharizard55 is another option; after returning this year from a long, long absence, he completely bypassed the ranks of newblet and became a solid battler, if not quite GL quality just yet.

Best Referee
Previous Holder: Miror

Ahh, the best referee award. Of course, the obvious choice for this award is Connor, who basically keeps the league afloat with his refereeing, but if you're in the market to deny Connor his nice things, you certainly have other, solid options. Mew The Gato has some truly lovely prose, and TheKnightsFury has made a name for himself as a fast ref who loves to gobble up SP. Miror, the previous holder of this award, as well as myself, Snorby, are both other solid referees you can consider for this award, but anyone who reffed a match in 2015 is able to be nominated!

Best Battler (Top Tier)
Previous Holder: Sneaze

So, this award is known colloquially as the Jeri-Dave-Sniz award, because that's the obvious top three, especially now that Kush is gone. However, it is worth noting that only Dave and Sneaze have had matches actually end this year, and even then Dave's were levellers and Sneaze's was like a 1v1 or something like that. Connor and myself, the other two members of the Elite Four, are other options, as is Slash, but he doesn't really battle anymore either as of late.

Best Battler (Mid Tier)
Previous Holder: Emi

We have lots of options here! This can go to anybody other than Dave, Sneaze, and Jeri, as this award was made to ensure there was an actually competitive "Best Battler" award. Good job you three, you broke the fuckin' award. Oh, also discount myself and Connor from this one. Something something "Elite Four is not midtier" something something "No fuck you Snorby you dont get free SP" something something. So, the other guys listed above are still options here (though they wont get it if they place in the High tier). Other strong battlers include our slew of Gym Leaders: Apollo77, TheKnightsFury, KamenAeons, Machamp-X, and Miror. Crys, Mew The Gato, and AltoCharizard55 are other solid battlers who lack Gyms.

Most Missed Member
Previous Holder: Dave

This is a category that I'm going to be shaking up: Now, you can vote for anyone who is currently not an active part of the ASB, even if the person was active earlier in 2016. I've decided to do this because a lot of people left the community this year, and it feels wrong to exclude them from this. Mercutio, Dave, Concept, Rangeet, Haymez, Dave, Extroph, Red Panda, Deebs, Dave, Son_of_Shadows, and Firewater are all examples of people you could choose- some left very recently, some left ages ago, some are somewhere in the middle. It's all up to who you miss most!

..Wait, did I forget to mention Dave? I don't know about you guys, but I miss our Primordial Fishbeast quite a lot... ;-;

Unsung Hero
Previous Holder: Mew The Gato

For our last category, we have a really neat one. The Unsung Hero, aka the Golden Quilava Sniz may never have, is the person who contributes to the community and lends their helping hand more than the average Joe, but doesn't get much recognition for it. In this category, only one person wins, and your votes aren't votes per se- they're nominations, with the list of people nominated going to the LOs who hand pick the winner. Number of votes will be considered, but it won't dictate the result. So, no, you can't get together and decided to nominate Zelphon, because the LOs will just not pick him. Remember, this person is supposed to be Unsung: If you're thinking of nominating someone with a shiny gold username, think of someone else. Our LOs (and Connor) are already sung quite a bit, this is for members of the community who aren't them!

And, Finally, we get to the most important part of the ASBOs:

OPEN CATEGORIES!!!

Anyone and everyone may send in OCs, in which you can write-in awards for people. Not all of these will make the cut to get into the Awards Ceremony, so make sure to make yours good!

You have until December 24th to get your votes in. Those votes, of course, should be PM'd to me here on UPN. Get to it, friends!

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.

Last edited by Snorby; 12-16-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:33 PM   #2
Lady Kuno
Sad times are just times that are sad

Voting Kuno for Best Kuno.
~ haiku, Morg 2017
JUST NUKE THE FUCKING SUN

Spoiler: show
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:45 PM   #3
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorby View Post
last I checked Jesus in the flesh has not descended upon ASB
I'm standing right here, y'know.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:03 PM   #4
Snorby
Snackin'

If you're truly Jesus in the flesh you'll send me some solid OCs.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:12 PM   #5
Zelphon
Frigid Memer

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
Vote Zelphon for TO villain.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:18 PM   #6
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi

Location: to the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelphon View Post
Vote Zelphon for TO villain.
TO Hero*
Amethyst/Chieri
FB - Chiko
Chiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:45 PM   #7
dirkac
Hjertestarter siden 2013

vote me for derp award

Notably ordering my mons to use at least two moves they don't actually learn per battle
Especially my aramau using not freeze-dry every time i use it

Also who are all those newbies I only remember ff gx and sharpie
Old 12-17-2016, 12:32 AM   #8
phoopes
Double Dragon

Vote me for TO Hero and Most Missed?

Please?
Old 12-17-2016, 06:08 AM   #9
Slash
Poison Jam

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
You know you all love my squad and sigs. Tis true.

However, rusty as I am, having been dealing with a lot of shit, I do have to say I would not be a good candidate for the high tier best battler award, even though I'm one of the suggested noms. I guess the higher tiers have kinda evaporated a little this past year due to life(TM) happening. But I am trying to make a comeback soon in my spare times so maybe I can make a good impression next year.

Throwing my public support behind austo for most improved
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:46 AM   #10
kingothestone
pots Fan Club President

I don't care if it wasn't technically in ASB, Hiding a Mareep in Connor's Combatants Cup banner for nearly 3 months deserves best moment.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:40 PM   #11
deh74
~Smelly cat, smelly cat~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorby View Post

Most Missed Member
Previous Holder: Dave

This is a category that I'm going to be shaking up: Now, you can vote for anyone who is currently not an active part of the ASB, even if the person was active earlier in 2016. I've decided to do this because a lot of people left the community this year, and it feels wrong to exclude them from this. Mercutio, Dave, Concept, Rangeet, Haymez, Dave, Extroph, Red Panda, Deebs, Dave, Son_of_Shadows, and Firewater are all examples of people you could choose- some left very recently, some left ages ago, some are somewhere in the middle. It's all up to who you miss most!

..Wait, did I forget to mention Dave? I don't know about you guys, but I miss our Primordial Fishbeast quite a lot... ;-;
I have to say I'm the tiniest bit disappointed that I wasn't even mentioned in the write up for this one. VOTE DEH FOR MOST MISSED

Check out my PASBL stuff!
Former C+ Grade ref, currently ungraded.

Need a battle reffed? PM me.
deh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #12
Kyuu-Tales
Heistin'

Send a message via Skype™ to Kyuu-Tales
You ought to make an award for me this year.

Like, (Worst) Veteran Newbie Award or something. xDDDD 10 years ago I started with PASBL, reffing Gen III. For the love of--I joined before Jerichi!

ABYSSAL MADNESS
Walking the Trainer's path since 1997/8
SPPf | BGf
| PASBL Record | TL1 - 0W / 4L / 0D
0 KOs / 9 TP / 0 SP
Referee Grade: D
=Friend Code= 2208 - 5726 - 0181
Pokemon Sun Trainer Name - コウライ | Pokemon Moon Trainer Name - ひょうりん
★いつでも「KON」って行け! 狐が最高★

Last edited by Kyuu-Tales; 12-18-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Kyuu-Tales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:18 PM   #13
Snorby
Snackin'

If you all are too lazy to remember the categories yourself, Kots made me make a form for him so he wouldn't feel unclean voting. Then MtG made a cleaner looking one. Any of you can use it as well if you like.

Quote:
Best Newbie 2016:
Coolest Squad:
Best Sigmaker:
TO Hero:
Best Battle 2016:
Best Reffed Battle:
Best ASB Moment:
The Derp Award:
Most Improved:
Best Referee:
Best Battler (Top Tier):
Best Battler (Mid Tier):
Most Missed Member:
Unsung Hero:
Open Categories (Give each their own line, please!):

Old 12-18-2016, 12:27 PM   #14
Emi
>tfw life and wife goals

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Guys please vote, I absolutely cannot be the one with the best Open Category Awards that would disturb the natural order

Fuck these crabs
Emi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:48 PM   #15
Slash
Poison Jam

If a lazy ass who has been mostly inactive like me was able to vote, then y'all have no reason not to. Do it, dudes, dudettes, and other assorted variations.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #16
Slash
Poison Jam

Adding that the sig wipe should really be voted best ASB moment. One of the healthiest things this community has done in awhile
Old 12-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #17
Emi
>tfw life and wife goals

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
But see that would only make sense Slash, we all know ASBOs are done under the pretense of sarcasm. Like when we voted Connor for literally anything important.

Fuck these crabs
Emi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #18
Slash
Poison Jam

Hey, plenty of people love my Pokemon and sigs for their insanity unironically.
As may be expected though, our clear winner here was Kairne, ASB's champion of prioritizing the pokemon you like over those that are objectively better. I mean, one of his mains is a Watchog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.
Leader of the "Stop Screwing Over Smeargle" Brigade

ASB
Art by Kairne
ASB
[URL="http://forums.upnetwork.net/showthread.php?t=4387"]
Daisy Art:

Battlecuts courtesy of DaisyInari

Random stuffs:

Old 12-18-2016, 11:32 PM   #19
deh74
~Smelly cat, smelly cat~

I'm holding you to this.

mm§מθя฿צּ - Today at 11:30 PM
Deh just won TO Hero
mm§מθя฿צּ - Today at 11:30 PM
executive decision
by me
mm§מθя฿צּ - Today at 11:31 PM
as Stalin-In-Chief

Check out my PASBL stuff!
Former C+ Grade ref, currently ungraded.

Need a battle reffed? PM me.
deh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:20 PM   #20
Snorby
Snackin'

Voting is closed. However, I will continue to take Open Category submissions over the next couple days.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Time Out