UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 07-14-2016, 03:29 PM   #226
Loki
Savage

I've not really dived into All-New All-Different Marvel much. I did read All-New Wolverine, which was an interesting first arc. Seeing X-23 take up the mantle is a decent way to continue the name recognition without actually having Wolverine (a Fox owned movie IP) around.

I do follow the criticism that All-New All-Different isn't that much of a fresh reboot starting point as some might have thought it would become. To understand all these new stories, we still need to read all the older stories. It's just now Secret Wars has simply combined the favorites of each multiverse into a single universe.

Has anyone read anything from DC Rebirth?
Old 07-14-2016, 03:42 PM   #227
Shuckle
Mage of Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I do follow the criticism that All-New All-Different isn't that much of a fresh reboot starting point as some might have thought it would become. To understand all these new stories, we still need to read all the older stories. It's just now Secret Wars has simply combined the favorites of each multiverse into a single universe.
Aw. I like those kinds of reboots. But let's be honest here, it's Marvel. Their IP is so well established that any kind of reboot wouldn't be able to distance itself enough from its previous stories. About the best we'll get is the Cinematic Universe.

However, at the same time, it might still be a fresh starting-point reboot. Starting in medias res is not a new storytelling technique, and reveals of character backgrounds could reboot the complicated, convoluted storylines that already exist (a la X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which put a new spin on the old lore of where Wolverine came from and including characters that were more fresh and interesting than before).

Spoiler: show
[The Sorcerer's Ambition]A handy link, to be sure.
Level Acquisitions, sorted by level instead of name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
Shuckle's awesomeness level continues to rise.
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:27 PM   #228
Loki
Savage

The general points to reboot is to make entry easier for new readers. None of that happens with All-New All-Different. It's really more All-Same All-Old with relation to how new readers would still need to learn the history and plot points of the past few years of Marvel to really get into these new titles.

BORKED
Comics Explains has a bit of a rant about these points.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:40 PM   #229
Sneaze
#SWAG

Send a message via Skype™ to Sneaze
I'm surprised nobody has as of yet brought up the official trailer for the Justice League movie that is apparently to come out next year.

BORKED

Because when the world screams "That move was terrible!" Hollywood shouts back "Yeah, we're still going to make the sequel, though."

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Whatever Sneasel says is right
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:24 PM   #230
lilbluecorsola
Snek fam

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaze View Post
I'm surprised nobody has as of yet brought up the official trailer for the Justice League movie that is apparently to come out next year.

BORKED

Because when the world screams "That move was terrible!" Hollywood shouts back "Yeah, we're still going to make the sequel, though."
I'm actually pretty hyped for JL and WW from the trailers. Really looking forward to seeing the Superfriends JL act as a family. Only wish that...

Clark could be there too. ;(

But Diana and Bruce are basically like the Mom and Dad, with Flash and Cyborg their sons, and Aquaman the crazy uncle. X3 I love it.

Plus it's cool to see a badass Aquaman. I honestly don't really get where the whole "Aquaman is silly/useless" trope comes from. =3= He was a BAMF in the JL cartoon.

Also mentioned a theory I have here.

Time goes on
The clock hands stopped
The same way, repeatedly

Mekakucity Actors Discussion Thread
lilbluecorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:13 PM   #231
Loki
Savage

Supefriends, the reference you made, is where stupid Aquaman came from. DC has worked rather hard over the years to try and get rid of that image, but Aquaman has had a lot less exposure than Batman, who was for a time considered silly and campy thanks to the Adam West series. Batman has had Tim Burton, BTAS, JL/JLU, and Christopher Nolan films to showcase him. Aquaman has had.... uh.... a handful of guest appearances and no movies centered on him.

Anyone who reads the comics knows Aquaman is almost at Superman/Wonder Woman tier strength levels, commands an army of Atlanteans, commands aquatic life, and has a magical trident that can hurt the invulnerable Superman.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:20 PM   #232
Shuckle
Mage of Mind

I like oversexualized Aquaman It's so rare that we get actual hunks in movies aimed at men.

The Batman in this JL looks fucking stupid though. I really don't think it's possible to make that costume look good in a live-action movie.

[The Sorcerer's Ambition]A handy link, to be sure.
Level Acquisitions, sorted by level instead of name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
Shuckle's awesomeness level continues to rise.
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:28 PM   #233
lilbluecorsola
Snek fam

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Supefriends, the reference you made, is where stupid Aquaman came from. DC has worked rather hard over the years to try and get rid of that image, but Aquaman has had a lot less exposure than Batman, who was for a time considered silly and campy thanks to the Adam West series. Batman has had Tim Burton, BTAS, JL/JLU, and Christopher Nolan films to showcase him. Aquaman has had.... uh.... a handful of guest appearances and no movies centered on him.

Anyone who reads the comics knows Aquaman is almost at Superman/Wonder Woman tier strength levels, commands an army of Atlanteans, commands aquatic life, and has a magical trident that can hurt the invulnerable Superman.
Yeah I know/figured that's where it came from so it was sort of an ironic statement, but after watching JL/JLU I'm surprised not more people were familiar with that version at least, as I assume many nerds/even casual fans of this gen grew up with the show.

Dude chopped his own hand off in order to save his kid (and got a cool hook replacement to boot). That's balls to the walls impressive. Papa wolves ftw. <3

@Shuckle I don't like Batman's DCEU costume design either, but meh. I like Affleck's Bruce Wayne a lot better as a character here than in the Nolan films.

Time goes on
The clock hands stopped
The same way, repeatedly

Old 08-09-2016, 12:28 AM   #234
Loki
Savage

I'm sure Family Guy helped push the useless Superfriends Aquaman.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:00 AM   #235
Mercutio
Banned

Don't forget South Park's Seaman.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:14 PM   #236
lilbluecorsola
Snek fam

Lil' Bluey

Tbf I think I remember both those eps. I hope the movie does help to improve his image then. ...Or at least we get some new memes out of it. *shot*

Speaking of which, has anyone seen HISHE for BvS?

I lost it at the car crash scene.

Time goes on
The clock hands stopped
The same way, repeatedly

Old 10-16-2016, 10:37 PM   #237
lilbluecorsola
Snek fam

Lil' Bluey

Thought I might just share this here:

My friend and I went to a con this weekend and we decorated cookies. ;O

One of my other friends sang "Hurt" by Johnny Cash at karaoke and all I could think of was Batman ugh what has become of my life

Time goes on
The clock hands stopped
The same way, repeatedly

Old 10-29-2016, 11:42 PM   #238
Talon87
Shenmue III, baby!

Send a message via AIM to Talon87
Small collection of sassy Batman quotes from various TV series and/or movies. I enjoyed it. Most of these are old (to me), but one or two were new (to me). Thought I'd share.
Talon87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:50 PM   #239
lilbluecorsola
Snek fam

Lil' Bluey

Young Justice Season 3 Officially in Production

For anyone who's interested.

Time goes on
The clock hands stopped
The same way, repeatedly

Old 11-08-2016, 03:04 PM   #240
Loki
Savage

Old 10-08-2017, 12:14 AM   #241
RealMrGame10
Team Instinct

For what it's worth, I've immensely enjoyed DC's major event Dark Nights: Metal thus far. It's done a really good job of tying together loose threads from previous events (though it occasionally reeks of retcon, but that be how it be sometimes). Plus, it's a lot of fun. I mean a lot of fun.

I mean a lottttttttttt of fun.

Even the Batman-Who-Laughs, even though he scares the Batjeezus out of me and I also want to punch him in his smug, laughing face.

Also Batman the Dawnbreaker is a lil shit

Me on SP

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment