UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 07-13-2016, 10:17 PM   #251
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
What Araki did with Joseph is a throwback to 70's, 80's writers. Of course, technically Araki qualifies for this given when he started Jojo, but the generation of writers in the 70's, notably Go Nagai, believed very strongly in the "inherited will" concept. It's still a big Japanese cultural idea, but how it manifests in anime/manga now is different.

Old style writers used to interpret it as, "spirit > body", meaning the legacy/will was more important than the person bearing it. For Go Nagai, that was his Mazinger Z. Mazinger Z was mauled and destroyed by the end of his titular series, and was replaced by Great Mazinger. Even though technically Mazinger Z was still around, Great Mazinger was the reincarnation. He took up Z's title as the world's defender and Z was not a nothing.

Finally, in UFO Grendizer Mazinger Z returned as the comically inept sidekick of Grendizer. It was full-on degradation, going from the badase protagonist of your own show to a butt monkey comic relief stooge. But the writers of that era thought "this is how it should be. Children should take over for their parents. Their parents go senile in old age anyway.".

Toriyama tried to pull the same stunt with Dragonball but it backfired on him, as the fans got REALLY mad. Araki gets away with it because Jotaro is the most popular Jojo protagonist.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:18 PM   #252
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 22 is where it all starts for Part IV. Everything up until now has been introduction. Rising action ... engage!

Spoiler: show
AK2's theory about this story arc being the "the townspeople vs. the singular evil" seems to be panning out. This episode introduces, for the very first time, that every one of the Stand users we've met so far, minus Kira and adding in non-Stand user Reimi, at least now knows each other. (If they didn't before, they certainly all do now.) Furthermore, it establishes that everyone's upset by what's happening and is agreed to stop it. Even the Italian restaurant guy is on board with trying to help take this serial killer down. It's great.

Shigechi, easily the least likeable of the allies so far, is the first to die. It's sad; music is used well; but I'm not feeling the Caesar or Avdol vibes, if that's what I am meant to be feeling right now. Still sad though. Somewhere out there, a papa and mama's son is never coming home.

Poor animal crackers-loving tailor.

Pretty exciting that vs. Joutarou is already happening. Maybe not the full 1v1 fight, but the fact that Joutarou is one of the very first to find himself in the ring with the killer ...!

Given how bombs work (concussive blasts), and given how sound works similarly ... wouldn't Koichi's Stand make him the god of Kira Yoshikage's universe? I imagine Koichi's power is going to matter immensely in taking this guy down.

Another hypothesis: the trick to defusing Kira's tactic is to close the gap. If he plants a bomb on you by touching you, but you then make sure to never let him out of your reach, wouldn't he be unable to detonate a massive bomb else it swallow him up too? Since closing gaps is Okuyasu's power, perhaps this means we'll see an exciting Okuyasu vs. Kira that only ends in tragedy because Kira somehow manages to pull away -- or even sacrifices a limb to take Okuyasu out.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:53 PM   #253
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

You hadn't posted an update in a while so I was curious about what was going on. Glad you're excited! I think you will continue to be pleased with Part IV. I didn't appreciate it at first, but it's one of Araki's best.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-27-2016, 06:03 PM   #254
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I mostly discuss the show with AK2 by phone and then that's it. Not enough time to re-re-re-discuss all the things.

I think Part IV is, so far, the weakest of the four arcs I've seen. That isn't to say it's weak or that it's bad. It's neither. It's just that I think Parts I, II, and III were all generally stronger and/or more entertaining. (Even if I entertain the pissing fight between I and IV, I'd still say that it's easy to defend the position that both II and III trump IV.) That might also contribute to why I haven't posted each week about it. I enjoy watching the program, but JoJo's ever been a 7/10 series for me and so the weakest of the 7/10 bunch, while still eking out that 7/10 score, isn't compelling me to gush here each week.

But in retrospect, now that we've hit 22, I think a large part of it may simply have been that Episodes 01 through 21 were all introductory and I hadn't realized it. It hadn't felt like it. Even now, I refuse to simply call them "Act I" of a five-act play. I don't feel like we're at the top of Act 2 right now. Maybe in terms of that age old "introduction, rising action, climax, denouement, resolution" schematic for stories we were taught in school, it is. Maybe if you're going to say "rising action == Act II". But like ... I feel like we're way past the end of Act I here. Act I ended possibly as early as Episode 01 or as late as Episode 04. We've been in sort of a ... if not Act II, then I suppose an "Act I.B" world these past fifteen-odd episodes. Somewhere between establishing Kira's existence and having Kira interact directly with our heroes.

Could Part IV end up rising in rank? We'll see.

Will Part IV end up proving to be much more satisfying than it has been up until now? Oh, almost assuredly. While I've enjoyed what we've seen so far, it's with Episode 22 that I am finally excited. I told AK2 on the phone, "If you analogize this to chess, then Episodes 01 thru 21 were Araki setting up the chess board for us and then Episode 22 is where he goes, 'Alright, then ...' and makes the first move." Everything up until now has been setting the game pieces in their starting positions on the game board. Now, the game is truly afoot.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:19 PM   #255
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

You're absolutely spot on about Part IV being "dull-ish" until this point*. In fact, until Yoshikage Kira is revealed, it's pretty ho-hum. But once Kira is finally pulled from the backstage the story really gets into motion.

Part IV is, in many ways, the anti-JJBA as you know it. The other arcs were grand, with heroes and villains sporting vibrant personality, journeys of immense distance and diversity, and stakes which determine the fate of the entire world.

Diamond is Unbreakable, by contrast, focuses in on one location, Morioh Town. Kira himself is about as anti-Dio in personality and ambition as possible. Most of the people are (as you know now) connected to one another, which wasn't possible in the larger setting of the previous titles. It's so much more down to earth, the horror is more personal.

And, character development-wise, I think it's tops. It easily surpasses the first three and probably surpasses all subsequent parts, although I think that one is up to interpretation. Araki comes into his own here.

The change on setting/focus I feel, along with the Joseph affair, really turned off a lot of fans to Part IV early on. So many people hated/dropped it early, despite others insisting it got good later on (and the delinquency of scans didn't help either). But it's changed opinions and risen in esteem since, so much so I wouldn't be shy at calling Diamond is Unbreakable as The Empire Strikes Back of Jojo.

*It feels like, Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency excluded, most Jojo parts are going to be slow and ponderous to start. But once the ignition is hit things spiral out of control very quickly.

Talking about this gave me flashbacks to 2006, for some reason. I guess I had some latent memory about talking Part IV with someone ten years ago, since the anime that popped up in my head were Utawarerumono, Higurashi, and memories spending my summer freshman studies in college.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-16-2016, 11:12 PM   #256
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I absolutely love the newest JoJo opening, "Great Days". Can't wait for the CD to come out in a few days. It's the first truly great opening Part IV has gotten imo, officially joining the ranks of OP1 (Phantom Blood's OP), OP2 (Battle Tendency's), OP3 (Stardust Crusaders' first), and OP4 (Stardust Crusaders' second). I would link you to the video, but it's pretty much impossible to find anywhere right now thanks to copyright claims. Which is unfortunate -- because the visuals are just as good as the song! Together, they create a product which is several times better than either alone. The animation director deserves full marks for his work on that one.

The story has slowed down a little bit, sadly. We revved up with the climax a few months ago ... and then decided to idle for a bit in favor of more Monster of the Week-style episodes. Really not sure why either Araki (source material) or Studio David (adapting studio) chose to do this. Sometimes the episodes can be justified as setting up for something big in the future (e.g. the 1˝-parter with Hazekura), but sometimes they're just completely pointless wastes of time (e.g. the 1˝-parter with the tunnel).

I'm a little too emotionally invested in Shinobu, the housewife introduced several episodes ago.

Araki doesn't gloss over the fact that she's a bitch, or that it's her fault for marrying a man whom she didn't really love. When Shinobu is introduced, you're pretty much like, "Aha -- here she is. Kira's next and possibly ultimate victim." It's already been established in an earlier episode that Kira:
  • is compelled to kill, i.e. suffers from a psychiatric compulsion that he cannot resist
  • targets women to whom he is attracted AND who are bitches
    • pretty nice women get spared
    • ugly women also get spared
  • kills his victims in order to "purify" them
And so Shinobu, when we meet her, is the perfect candidate for Kira's next murder. Outwardly gorgeous, inwardly a bitch who thinks poorly of her own husband and does/thinks other bitchy things.

But as the story has gone on, I've found myself:
  • rooting for Shinobu / not wanting to see her die
  • feeling sorry for Shinobu, with respect to her old loveless marriage
  • feeling sorry for Shinobu, with respect to her new attraction to Kira whom she doesn't realize is a bloodthirsty killer
I think part of it is undoubtedly a soft spot I have for women as beautiful as Shinobu. (And make no mistake -- she is fucking gorgeous.) I think an even bigger part of it is my soft spot for women in love. (God I adore me a woman in love. ) But part of it is just the convoluted situation she unwittingly finds herself in. It's like I'm watching a horror movie! The kind where rowdy theatergoers shout things like, "No, bitch! Run!" and "Get out da house, bitch! Run for your life!" So you've got all three of these things working together at once -- her beauty, her lovesickness, and her horror movie situation -- and it makes for compelling television.

It has gotten to a point to where I've told AK2 that, as stupid of an ending as I acknowledge it would probably be, I kinda sorta guiltily wish for:

an "Everybody lives! " ending where the heroes intercept Kira before he can kill Shinobu or Hayato, they fight him, and then one of the heroes uses their power to de-serial killer-ify Kira Yoshikage. They don't necessarily have to brainwash him into thinking he's his new face's persona, nor do they have to make him forget his memories. He can remain Kira. He can retain all the memories of what he's done. But they just ... take away his killing impulses. Someone has a magic Stand that can do this, that can fundamentally alter one's very nature. A Stand that can take a serial killer and make him no longer want to kill anyone. You do this, and suddenly you get the super-skilled Kira (who can became CEO of his host's company inside ten years), the super-beautiful and super-in-love Shinobu, and the son Hayato who's only ever wanted his parents to quit fighting and for his dad to be more in his life. Kira could easily do this. (Lord knows he knows how to manage his time!) You could get a perfectly happy family in Morioh, and the heroes still win -- "Kira Yoshikage," as they knew him, is no more.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:27 PM   #257
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So I'm a bit unsure of the latest development in the story?

Presumably the last thing to have happened is Kosaku died, and Kira is now treating Shinobu well disguised as him?

Regarding Shinobu

This is just one of the developments that make Kira such a fantastic villain. Especially during the incident with Stray Cat, which caused Kira to feel something he'd never felt before in his life of obsessive cleanliness and crazy psycho hand chopping. None of the other Jojo main villains, until Part VII I think, undergo anything like this.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-16-2016, 11:57 PM   #258
Schala
Savior of Pokemon-kind

Talon has probably already read the spoiler but if not:

The second spoiler mentions something that hasn't actually happened yet in the anime, just a heads up.
Schala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:09 AM   #259
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'll help you figure out where we are / what we've seen since I last posted.

Episode 22: the last one I posted about, on August 27. This is the second episode in a two-parter involving Kira and Shigechi. Halfway through, Shigechi is killed by Kira. Next, there is a group meeting of all the heroic Stand users we've met so far in Part IV. After they share intel, Joutarou and Kouichi wind up visiting a tailor shop. The episode ends with the tailor murdered by Kira.

Episode 23: Starts at the tailor's. Kouichi's actions result in Joutarou getting severely injured. Kouichi's Stand gains a level, becoming Act 3. Act 3 incapacitates Kira's Heart Attack. Kira's arm now weighs a ton. The episode ends as Kira is forced to return to the tailor's to confront Kouichi.

Episode 24: Kouichi and Joutarou work together to defeat Kira. Kouichi is murdered, and Joutarou faints from his injuries. Jousuke and Okuyasu arrive on the scene. Jousuke uses his powers to heal Kouichi (MIRACULOUSLY NOT DEAD) and Joutarou. Kira attempts to bluff his way out of the situation. Jousuke isn't fooled. Kira chops off his own hand to escape. Jousuke uses Crazy Diamond on the hand to track down Kira. The group is led to the estée. They find that Tsuji Aya has been murdered, as well as a now-faceless man. Aya explains with her dying breaths that Kira made her use her powers to give him a new face and new fingerprints on his remaining (right) hand. While the heroes are distracted by Aya's death, Kira's left hand slips outside and rejoins its master.

Episode 25: Shinobu and Hayato are introduced. So too is Kira's father, whom the heroes fight for the very first time while investigating Kira's house. Shinobu finds herself falling in love with her husband, though she can't yet explain why he seems so different from before.

Episode 26: A boy obsessed with Rock-Paper-Scissors is given the power of a Stand by Kira's father. This boy then challenges Kishibe Rohan to a series of RPS games.

Episode 27: Kira's father tries to give Stand powers to a young man with elf ears but fails. Kira studies his new identity's handwriting. Shinobu tries to entice Kira to make love to her. She thinks she has failed; Kira, in reality, is super enticed. But for him, "enticed" means he wants to murder her! He begins to cave in ... he aims for her neck, to snap it or to strangle her ... but Shinobu's scream breaks him out of his reverie, and he bullshits that he was just trying to unbutton her clothes for her. This turns Shinobu on even more. Cutting back to the strange boy with the elf ears, Jousuke and Okuyasu meet him near a crop circle. He claims to be an alien. Okuyasu doesn't believe him and leaves in a huff. Jousuke sticks around and discovers that the young man appears to be telling the truth. If he's not an alien, at the very least he's a fellow Stand user. Jousuke tries to get him to react by almost attacking his face with Crazy Diamond. When the mysterious young man doesn't react, Jousuke soft-concludes that he must really be an alien, or at the very least isn't a Stand user. The episode ends halfway through a game of chinchiron between Jousuke and Rohan.

Episode 28: The first eight minutes or so of the episode is the second half of the alien boy story. After that, we have a short scene with Hayato in which it's revealed that Hayato has spy cameras set up in his parents bedroom (so he can watch them have sex? Hahakon much?) and has observed that his father is, for some strange reason, studying the man's own handwriting. Next, we return to the alien boy. We're introduced to his mother. His mother claims that he has a bad case of chuunibyou. He on the other hand claims to have brainwashed an Earth woman into thinking that she is his mother. Jousuke has no idea what to think. The second half of the episode introduces Highway Go Go, a mysterious Stand that attacks people from inside a roadway tunnel. Rohan goes to investigate on foot and is beaten. Jousuke goes to investigate and is given tips by Rohan. The episode ends as Jousuke is exiting the tunnel on Rohan's motorbike.

Episode 29: The second half of the Highway Go Go story. Jousuke bikes around town trying to figure out how to locate and defeat the Stand user. He eventually makes his way to the hospital where the Stand user is being treated. He heals the Stand user in order to justify beating the ever loving crap out of him. The episode ends with a 30-second peek at the Kawajiris'. Kira is heading out for work on a rainy day. Hayato has already left for school(?). Shinobu goes downstairs to do the laundry, sees that one of the windows has been left open despite the rain, and discovers a beautiful British Blue cat resting atop their laundry.

Episode 30: hasn't aired yet. Its title is "Cats Love Yoshikage Kira".

Going back over this list, I'm surprised that so many episodes have aired since the one we discussed last time. Also, I can identify where for me the show has started to suck drag -- Episode 26. Without a doubt the worst filler in the entire history of the franchise. (Of what I've seen.) 22 was great. 23 was great. 24 was phenomenal. And I personally adored 25, even if you could argue it as being less exciting than 24. But 26 ... yeesh. And 27, 28, and 29 aren't exactly good episodes either. I've told AK2 several times these past few weeks, my favorite parts in a number of the most recent episodes have been the Kira/Shinobu scenes. Partly because of my fascination with Shinobu, partly because Kira is at the epicenter of the excitement in this story. Sadly, these two have only been on screen for less than five minutes an episode these past few weeks. Hopefully Episode 30 rectifies that -- which, judging from the episode title, it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schala View Post
Talon has probably already read the spoiler but if not:

The second spoiler mentions something that hasn't actually happened yet in the anime, just a heads up.
I was afraid of that. Man ... first time I post in this thread in nearly two months, and the Doppel Spoils Everything strikes again. Thankfully, what he said doesn't seem like the greatest spoiler in the world. (My ignorance that it's not?) So we'll see.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:25 AM   #260
Schala
Savior of Pokemon-kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I was afraid of that. Man ... first time I post in this thread in nearly two months, and the Doppel Spoils Everything strikes again. Thankfully, what he said doesn't seem like the greatest spoiler in the world. (My ignorance that it's not?) So we'll see.
I figured I was too late given you were already in the thread when I posted, sorry about that.

I won't say anything either way about how "big" of a spoiler it is (since that in of itself could be considered a spoiler), but I will say that the post's mention of things was vague enough that it hopefully shouldn't have much, if any, impact on your ability to enjoy the scene/event/rest of the series. Though it is possible you will feel that it did when all is said and done. I can't really speak for your own feelings.
Schala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:42 AM   #261
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I was trying to keep things vague-ish as a precaution, figuring that the incident I mentioned is only +/- one or two episodes given what Talon said outside of the spoiler box.

It's been a while though. I can't remember how events piece together exactly, without reviewing anything.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-17-2016, 12:57 AM   #262
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Going back over this list, I'm surprised that so many episodes have aired since the one we discussed last time. Also, I can identify where for me the show has started to suck drag -- Episode 26. Without a doubt the worst filler in the entire history of the franchise. (Of what I've seen.) 22 was great. 23 was great. 24 was phenomenal. And I personally adored 25, even if you could argue it as being less exciting than 24. But 26 ... yeesh. And 27, 28, and 29 aren't exactly good episodes either. I've told AK2 several times these past few weeks, my favorite parts in a number of the most recent episodes have been the Kira/Shinobu scenes. Partly because of my fascination with Shinobu, partly because Kira is at the epicenter of the excitement in this story. Sadly, these two have only been on screen for less than five minutes an episode these past few weeks. Hopefully Episode 30 rectifies that -- which, judging from the episode title, it should.
Even in the manga, Rohan tends to star in filler like that, but it's relegated more to side materials. It also happens from time to time even in future parts! Things like "Rohan at the Louvre" were released like 20 years after Part IV concluded? Something like that.

Why Rohan, you might think. There's nothing particularly special about him. Well, actually there is...he is Hirohiko Araki himself, the Word of God made flesh in his own story. Is it vanity, or parody, when Rohan is portrayed as cool, powerful and awesome? I have no idea.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-17-2016, 12:57 AM   #263
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
It's been a while though. I can't remember how events piece together exactly, without reviewing anything.
You're supposed to review. If you want to be courteous, then the onus rests with you to look up where the show has gotten to. I should never have had to make that list I made, though I did so out of courtesy to you. Everything you wanted to know, you could have found out from Wikipedia or the JoJo wiki.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:18 AM   #264
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Well, I will do that from now on, then. But my philosophy until now was it was more dangerous to review material as I would have comprehensive knowledge, and increasing the likelihood of spoiling something overall even as I'm less likely to spoil something major.

At least, I look back on the Part I spoiler, the one I deeply regret to this day, and blame future knowledge for why I was driven to point it out.

Because, if I don't remember very well, true knowledge and idle speculation are blurred into one. Nobody is the wiser until someone points it out.

Still, I was pretty cautious in this case. I don't think what I said deserves much of a warning, especially given you've already been clued in by Episode 30's title. I can say I think Episode 30 is going to be awesome.

Just to clarify for future parts, here's my knowledge level:

Part I: comprehensive (watched)
Part II: comprehensive (watched)
Part III: excellent (watched/read)
Part IV: great (read)
Part V: practically zero (have not read; will follow anime)
Part VI: good (read ending)
Part VII: comprehensive (read)
Part VIII: fair (spoilers)
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-24-2016, 10:32 AM   #265
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Diamond is Unbreakable Episode 30:

I enjoyed this episode at about a 7/10 level. In brief summation:

PRO: everything Kira x Shinobu. I love it so much. Even if I severely doubt I will get my happy ending at this point. But yeah ... every second Shinobu was on screen this episode commanded my attention, and the part where Kira goes, "Did I, Yoshikage Kira, just express relief over the fact that the thorns didn't pierce her eyes? But why?" ... *SQUEE*

MIDDLE: Hayato's attic scene. I dislike it for likely cementing that a happy ending can't happen (since, short of memory erasure, there's no way around Hayato's discovery that his father has been replaced by an impostor), but I liked it for the exciting scene that it was.

CON: the cat-plant. I was promised an adorable British Blue. Instead I got a stupid Little Shop of Horrors monster plant. *sigh*
Old 10-25-2016, 12:43 AM   #266
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Yay, it looks like the "spoiler" didn't do much damage.

Mum's the word cause this train doesn't stop once it gets going. Part VI is the same way, once the rodeo begins there's no off the bull.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-29-2016, 01:32 AM   #267
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Diamond is Unbreakable Episode 31:

Very entertaining episode. The parkour Stand user is dumb, but the idea of a Stand that traps exactly one person at a time is interesting. Josuke's smoking hot mom gets abducted. (... By the deceased tailor? O-o We only see his back, so ...) Rohan finally locks in on any one of Kira, Shinobu, or Hayato. (It's Hayato.) Kouichi gets abducted too? A lot happened this episode.

Yes, a lot happened. Our new alien friend is almost killed, Jōsuke almost dies, Jōtarō and Joseph talk ... Alright, I need to go to sleep. But yeah. Entertaining episode.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:16 AM   #268
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Hey Talon, is it possible you don't know about Duwang?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-16-2016, 09:19 AM   #269
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Hey Talon, is it possible you don't know about Duwang?
I do not know any Duwang. Haven't had much to post about with 32 or 33. They have been okay episodes.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:29 AM   #270
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

"Duwang" refers to the original Part IV scanslations for Jojo. They came out in the early 2000's and nobody bothered to give a proper translation for the title until nearly a decade later. This was a major reason why Part IV got under exposure compared to the earlier parts, and why it wasn't as well regarded despite being so well written.

It was basically done by a Chinese high school student, translating the Chinese script into English. The Duwang scans had low scan quality, poor translation accuracy and poor English grammar/punctuation. It spawned tons of memes including the most famous:

杜王 pronounced in Chinese is "du wang". I have no idea how someone could mess up this name though, Grade 1 kanjis and all. I mean without the kana I might think it "zuoh" BUT STILL it was pretty egregious.

I had forgotten about Duwang, because when I was first interested in Jojo I gave a hard pass on this scanslation. I tried it out of curiosity and dropped it pretty early, sometime in 2006-2007. I didn't give Part IV a chance until better scans came in.

Also Talon, I watched that old video about the chairs discussing Haganai, and there are references to Jojo in it that probably go over your head in 2012, but you are equipped to understand the in-jokes now!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-25-2016, 07:14 AM   #271
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Talon mentioned something that seemed strange to me, namely that William A. Zeppeli was voiced by Rikiya Koyama. This is strange because I remember looking up the CVs for the original Jojo and Zeppeli's actor was certainly not Koyama.

Compounding the fact is that Koyama had a prominent role in Jojo already...that of Yoshikage Kira! Like Takahito Koyasu and Dio, Koyama has portrayed Kira in every appearance he's made since the character got a voice in Jojo media. I was under the assumption that Kira continued to be voiced by Koyama into this anime even though since Part III, the original actors for the roles have not been respected consistently.

And turns out I was wrong! Oops, Kira's CV is a fellow named Toshiyuki Morikawa - which is a name familiar to me and provides an interesting coincidence with the OPM topic. But it'd disappointing to hear, then, that Koyama currently doesn't have a role in the Jojo anime canon. He's not the anime's version of Zeppeli and he's lost the role of Kira.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-19-2016, 12:29 PM   #272
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Been enjoying the ending fine. It's the weakest of the four endings IMO, but it is not bad. The finale airs Friday.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:28 AM   #273
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm not sure what that entails. "finale" and "ending" are pretty synonymous to me.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-20-2016, 11:50 AM   #274
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
I'm not sure what that entails. "finale" and "ending" are pretty synonymous to me.
In that post I was using "ending" to refer to the final arc (roughly Episodes 31 thru 39) and "finale" to distinguish Episode 39 from the rest. Context should have made it clear, but you're not watching the show weekly so you lack that context.

The last things we've seen in the anime are: (Episode 38 spoilers)

Okuyasu survived. (Called this at the end of Episode 37. Called that he was either still alive or else dead but going to come back to us somehow. AK2 can attest to this.)

Kira's pretty much been defeated. (My prediction for the finale is that Jousuke is going to hybridize Kira with Stray Cat and turn Kira into a freaky plant, Angelo-style. AK2 added the additional bonus that perhaps Jousuke's healing power can be used to return Stray Cat to his adorable British Blue body leaving only Kira to inhabit the freaky plant body.)

Kira is surrounded on three sides. Jousuke, Hayato, and Okuyasu to the south. Joutarou, Kouichi, and Rohan to the east. Fire trucks investigating the explosions, blocking the road to the west.

Kira's dad is toast.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:31 AM   #275
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I won't publicly comment on the "finale" then.

I suspect you will find it...

Strange. One part of it will seem over-the-top ridiculous. The other part will be amazing.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime