UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 07-05-2016, 05:02 PM   #376
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Beat!
Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs
- 16 hours, 49 minutes, 0 seconds
Shadows of Almia is fun but rough at time but this ones a much smoother ride! Having a partner pokémon and all of the assist slots available from the start makes your meager beginnings more bearable! Feels like ya can upgrade your styler more often to which was nice. Also cool is being able ta fly around the region on Staraptor & Latias an I mean fly-fly, as in soarin' the skies not just warping someplace! When will the main games do that? I mean its pretty much an rpg staple!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #377
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. That's when.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:47 PM   #378
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. That's when.
Took 'em more than 4 years later? n/m how long the main series had been going on before then... >_> Least its there now in all its rpg glory!
Old 07-05-2016, 07:53 PM   #379
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Oh god that's how long ago GS came out?!
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 07-06-2016, 01:41 AM   #380
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Oh god that's how long ago GS came out?!
Ya, GS was early 2010 japan, late 2010 rest of the world! Now I'm sad because its been 6 years without a new Ranger game. R.I.P. yet another DS-era series ;.;
Old 07-06-2016, 05:14 AM   #381
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Get:

Mini Metro
Witcher 3
The Witness
The Talos Principle
This War of Mine
Firewatch
Rome: Total War

Steam sale pickups!
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:57 PM   #382
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Demo'd!
7th Dragon III Code: VFD
Random battles, solid music, demo save carries over to the full game with bonuses, I liked it enough ta add this to my christmas list!
Old 07-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #383
Heather
Naga's Voice

SteamSale pickups:
Civ V complete bundle
Mount & Blade: Warband

And some other things:

Got & Beat: Kirby Gundam Edition Planet Robobot

Got: Etrian Odyssey 1 Untold: The Milennium Girl

All fun stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #384
dirkac
uhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
Ya, GS was early 2010 japan, late 2010 rest of the world! Now I'm sad because its been 6 years without a new Ranger game. R.I.P. yet another DS-era series ;.;
I am now having a sad ;;

Anyway

Beat: Bravely Second
Finally finished this. Though overall the game felt more polished than Bravely Default, I have to admit I liked the first better if only because hot damn those Chapter 7/8 Boss Fights were fun.
Also the original's music is obviously superior.
Revo ftw
dirkac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:03 AM   #385
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Beat: Dust An Elysian Tail
Great game, the story was ok but the gameply was fun and its nice to be able to zoom around the screen and hit tons of enemies for large comboes. I really enjoyed it.
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:53 PM   #386
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Beat!
.hack//Outbreak
- 4 hours, 32 minutes, 7 seconds
Sped through this as best I could without resetting to much due to bad luck, but I did have a bunch of it. Them virus cores just weren't dropping as generously as I needed! Not just for this game but almost as many from it are needed for the last one! Monsters got alot less quick ta beat to so no real speedy leveling. Lotsa fun had anyhow especially on the boss fights!
Old 07-25-2016, 04:49 PM   #387
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Re-Beat some more older games.

Super Mario World
Definitely the smoothest of the older Mario games. I want to say I like Super Mario Bros 3 better, but I like the feel of this game alot better. Sad thing is that I haven't played this game in over 10 years, but my old routine is still ingrained into my head.

Super Mario Bros 3
My favorite of the NES Mario games. It nicely expanded on 1, and had some great power-ups. I always loved the hammer suit. That and the tanuki suit break so many rules, like killing obstacles. The Bowser fight at the end was awesome too. That freaking music.

Donkey Kong Country
I never got to properly play this game. I wish I did own it, because this game is brutal. Most of the later levels are more difficult than the extra stages in Country 2! Not only that, but extra lives are scarce. I wish I had the chance to "gitgud" in my early years. It's a fun game though. The platforming is about as smooth as Super Mario World, and the music is great. The freaking water levels have love-making music. Another nice detail is the fact that Donkey and Diddy actually have different feels to their controls. It's such a shame Miyamoto hated on this game so much.

Donkey Kong Country 2
I had a much easier time with this. I owned it as a kid, so I had some early practice. There's also the fact that extra lives are much more common. I often had lives in the 60's area. This game felt slightly more polished than 1. You had some collectables, giving you some incentive to do more than just clear levels. The music got even better in this game! I love the ending scene in this game, where Donkey breaks free and fucking Mortal Kombat uppercuts KRool off of the damn island.

Donkey Kong Country 3
Did the staff quit after 2? I didn't enjoy this game so much. Kiddy is fucking ugly. The music took a serious hit in quality, and the level design just wasn't that interesting.

Donkey Kong 64
I love Donkey Kong's "OKAY!" when the game starts up. I thought this game was great as a kid. I was curious to see how it would hold up today. Its flaws are much more obvious to me now that I'm older. It's enjoyable for a little while, but it becomes dull very quickly. The collectables that were nice in Country 2 go over-the-top, and force you to spend alot of time mindlessly scouring every inch of levels for things that don't even do that much. Thankfully there's not much platforming in this game, because the platforming is awful. Most of the time, you jump from one platform, fight with the camera, jump to the other, fight with the camera again, jump and fall off because the camera randomly decided to turn around. So I guess it's not the platforming that's bad, but the camera. It's early 3D, so it's somewhat understandable, but I'm spoiled. I remember jumping in a Diddy barrel to fly, and because the camera kept spinning, I was locked in place! For positives....it looks great. Even now its graphics somewhat hold up. Also I love Donkey Kong's voice.

The camera angles thing scares me for Super Mario 64. I was planning on giving it a re-go, but I'm afraid it'll be just as bad, and Super Mario 64 will be more heavy with the platforming than DK64.

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
I remember having a busted copy of this game. The save feature didn't work properly. After a day, the save file would delete, so I had to try beating the game within a day. Also for some reason, I was scared the console would set on fire if I kept it on too long. Fun times, but also irrelevant. It's strange how emotionally invested I was in this replay. I mean, the emotional investment wasn't great or anything, but I felt something. Hell, I choked up a little bit at the ending scene where it showed the flute kid playing the flute with his grandfather listening. Not much to say about gameplay. It's like the first game, but much more fluid.

I should shy away from Nintendo things in my replay sessions, but those are all that come to mind.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 03:58 PM   #388
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Beat!
Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation
- 37 hours, 0 minutes, 9 seconds
My second playthrough went much better then the first due to using a guide and getting into vocations as soon as they became available instead of much later x.x; An I can safely say this ones better then DQV! The worlds really great and the pacing doesn't grind to a stop, and many npc characters stories keep updating as the game goes along! Plus, ya know, grinding vocations to get lotsa cool powers!

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
- 7 hours, 9 minutes, 38 seconds
NG+'d this one which made almost the whole game ultra easy! Which left me in this for the story instead of the gameplay, so its good the storys not bad... plus lotsa good music helps things!

Pokémon Conquest
- 15 hours, 37 minutes, 10 seconds
Finally a pokémon game where most of the battles are 6v6! This time around I learned what delegating does which saved me a whole lot of time manually doing grinding each month! Also actually paid better attention to typing and planning ahead! Evolutions kinda odd in this game an I had to lookup how to do some but otherwise not much to complain about or dislike!

.hack//G.U. Vol.2: Reminisce
- 7 hours, 54 minutes, 25 seconds
Got through this in 3 sittings! Finally uncovered a grindin' groove for the G.U. games which surely saved me a bunch of time compared to how I used to do it. Weirdly I didn't have a tough time with the final boss like I usually do despite being more underleveled an with far less good items then usual!
Old 08-20-2016, 06:50 PM   #389
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
Return to PopoloCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale
First heard about this back near release an was pretty interested but with budget constraints I held off to ask for it as a gift instead! My first 3DS rpg without the "strategy" label attached to it!

Style Savvy: Fashion Forward
I liked an recently finished the previous SS game so getting this was mandatory!

Beat!
Star Ocean: The Second Story
- 22 hours, 07 minutes, 0 seconds
After playing so many more recent rpgs I found this games translation to really stick out like a sore thumb. Lots stiff sounding & kinda nonsense lines. But this is a game I grew up with so that stuff falls under the charm department lol. Gameplay itself is still great, heck even better then the SO PSP remake since world map movement speed is far from garbage! I did a Rena story playthrough cause frankly her stories better! Even dumped Claude as soon as I could get an all girl party! Totally cheesed the second half of the game by using forged medals with dream bracelets to get 2 level ups per battle ^.^

Golden Sun: The Lost Age
- 22 hours, 37 minutes, 34 seconds
No directions: the game. Dunno how I ever played this without a guide but its certainly worth using one cause the games world is pretty open with many places to go an things to do. This means the story takes a hit because of so much meandering about but thats okay, it was a good one in the end! Aside from some "oh c'mon" moments most of the dungeos were really great with some good puzzles!

Return to PopoloCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale
- 21 hours, 43 minutes, 19 seconds
RPG+Harvest Moon = this! Both parts are simplified/basic but thats a pretty good thing to me since HM games can get pretty demanding an I like simpler rpgs. Graphics an art are nice lookin' an cute! Liked how powerful the hero was in tbe beginning as a nod to him having already saved the world in previous games. The farming stuff which isn't necessary to progress the game but I got hooked on it anyhow an planted/harvested things between exploring the world/dungeons. Good game!
Old 08-20-2016, 10:03 PM   #390
deoxys
Fog Badge

No Man's Sky...

[23 hours total playtime so far] - Personal screenshots here

...is not for everyone. And for the people who it is for, you might lose interest 15-20 hrs in, if that. I enjoy it for what it is, and the game is beautiful, but it is really a mile wide and an inch deep. Its repetitiveness is its downfall, with each planet being a vaguely different flavor following the same formula:

Pick a biome - Desert, Tundra, Ocean/Island, Forest/Jungle, Rocky/Mountainous, maybe a few others

Pick two colors - Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple, Gray, Brown, Black, and everything in between - one will be the planet's color, the other will be the primary color of the Flora/Grass

Pick weather effect for 50% of planets - Stormy, Toxic Rain, Radioactive, Firestorms, Blizzard, etc.

If life = Generate a handful of creature models built around the same 30 or so skeletons

On top of this, the inventory system is very rough around the edges. Simply taking off uses up fuel, launching the Hyperdrive uses up fuel, boosting through space uses up fuel, so you're constantly mining and crafting for fuel, which takes up inventory slots that are difficult to keep empty when you're also trying to make enough money by mining rare elements... in order to buy even more slots or upgrading to a larger ship. So the game eventually becomes "What do I need, and what can I get rid of?" constantly, over and over and over, and constantly refueling your ship's three or four separate fuel tanks. On top of that, pirates will randomly jump to your location when leaving the planet, and will attack you. If they don't kill you (making it a chore to get back to reclaim your hard-earned things), they will probably damage your ship, which means one or more of your attachments/upgrades will be broken and need repairing, like perhaps your ship's turret, or the hyperdrive booster.

So the game becomes a never ending cycle of mining > refuel > repeat for hours > sell valuable items> upgrade ship/inventory > repeat

And that's still only about 10 star systems into the game, and that all aside, if you want to see the story through to its end, you'll need to be collecting 'Atlas Stones' at scripted moments in the game, should you choose to go to them, and Atlas Stones also each take up their own inventory slot. Now imagine having to do all of this with 17-25 inventory slots, at most, for a large chunk of the game, while your add-ons and upgrades also take up their own slots in your inventory!

All in all, the game requires you have the patience of a saint and low expectations. If you want a game you can chill out to and listen to podcasts or music, this game is for you, but probably for the best while on sale. If you want a space exploration/sim, get Elite Dangerous or wait for Everspace or Star Citizen.

Last edited by deoxys; 08-20-2016 at 10:09 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #391
deoxys
Fog Badge

Anyone who was looking into No Man's Sky, I highly recommend watching Angry Joe's review first, it's perfectly on point.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:30 PM   #392
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Get!
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
Really liked the first so I was hype for the continuation! So far, so good!

Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
Having started with DQVIII and never going back to play this one, it's new to me! The opening hour or so sucked and the games got some technical issues that're hard to ignore. Though once you're looting a new town or running around a dungeon that good ol' DQ fun is front an center!

Beat!
Xenogears
- 49 hours, 05 minutes, 22 seconds
The last time I played this was some time even before Xenosaga Ep.1 was out! Even so I still remembered a whole buncha stuffs about it including the great soundtrack! Xenogears got alot of small things working against it which really add up, but its still a classic. Just not one I'd replay regularly.

.hack//Quarantine
- 5 hours, 53 minutes, 31 seconds
More speediness here! So speedy I played this in one day over just two sessions! This games got the strongest baddies so finding good safe leveling spots was rather lucky of me. And I finally see for myself that the optional party members still show up for important endgame cutscenes even though ya didn't recruit 'em lol.

.hack//G.U. Vol.3: Redemption
- 10 hours, 52 minutes, 47 seconds
Think I coulda got slightly sub-10 hours had I not overgrinded. Sure it made the end bosses go by faster but nearly an hour quicker? Dun think so. Since it was a no story run an since there's no NG+ level boost most of the time was spent grinding! Well worth it since that allowed me to run through story dungeons not having ta fight baddies or hunt equipment!
Old 09-20-2016, 03:18 PM   #393
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

I just got a Vita. Recommendations? Other than Persona pls
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 09-20-2016, 04:27 PM   #394
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Fate / Extra?
Old 09-20-2016, 06:01 PM   #395
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Full warning, these will mostly be rpg recommendations.

• Obligatory trails in the sky/trails of cold steel.
  • The Atelier games are pretty fun and suuuuper chill. They are more slice of lifey RPGs with more of a focus on alchemy than fighting till like Escha and Logy, with there only really being occasional pushes towards the plots. Though be warned, all but Shallie and I think Sophie have a time system. Atelier Rorona Plus, Totori Plus and Meruru Plus make up the first trilogy. Atelier Ayesha Plus, Escha and Logy Plus and Shallie Plus make up the second trilogy (Shallie Plus hasn't been released yet). I haven't played Sophie yet, but its meant to be pretty chill as well.
  • You got all your PS1 classics on there as well. Some of the really long RPGs become much more manageable on a handheld.
  • Disgaea 1, 2, 3 and 4 are all available, and if I remember correctly they should have all the DLC automatically included.
  • Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth games. I really had fun playing them, but I would maybe wait for a sale for these, so if you don't end up liking them its not too much of a loss of money.
  • Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth is really good.
  • Lost Dimension is.. alright, one to get on sale defs. It's a strategy RPG that relies on a gimmick involving killing a traitor every chapter of the game.
  • Child of Light is pretty fun, if not a touch simple and slightly annoying with its rhyming gimmick.
  • Ar no Surge is another game that I would recommend buying on sale. It's an RPG but it could almost be a VN because there is alooooooot of dialogue.
  • The Ys games are pretty fun Action RPGs.
  • There are Musou games available on the Vita, so if you feel like getting your Musou on, there is DW 8, Samurai Warriors 4 and One Piece Warriors 3.
  • There are a whole bunch of VNs on the Vita as well, if that tickles your fancy.
That's all I can think of for now.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:46 PM   #396
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

You know me too well PG.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 09-21-2016, 02:19 AM   #397
Connor
Flashbacker

Back basically all of PG's suggestions. Would add Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines to the pile. It's got a pretty solid system but I would suggest looking at a Let's Play or something to get a handle on the whole descendant system - the way it works is that every member of your clan ages to maturity in like 3 months but then also die within 2 years, and the game progresses a month every time you enter a dungeon. It can get a bit finicky if it's not something you enjoy but I loved it.

Obligatory "don't forget Tales of Hearts R" if you're into that.

Also Isaac!
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:46 PM   #398
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

>implying I don't already have Isaac on it despite lack of Afterbirth

bitch PLEASE

y'all are great
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 09-24-2016, 10:06 AM   #399
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

I liked Freedom Wars enough to plat it, but I'm guessing that the online community (which is nearly mandatory for some of the end-game mats and achievements) for it is pretty much dead at this point so YMMV.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:55 PM   #400
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Picked up Fallout 4 the other week, it's pretty fun. Especially if you know console commands, they make the settlement building stuff soooooo much easier.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games