UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries

Old 06-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #51
Altocharizard55
The Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelphon View Post
4/6 is cool for levellers, there's also just no actual reason to remove them as an option.
So, I sort of disagree with this a lot. My biggest issue is that IMO 4/6 is broken enough to warrant it unusable/unfair in sanctioned play. I feel it is too easily taken advantage of, and not conducive of building a league with quality play. Also, 4/6 would allow members to shoot up through trainer levels very quickly and potentially with little skill; this is a bad thing. I claim that 4/6 should be restricted to Exhibition matches only.

PASBL Stats

TL 4 (35-21-6)
Current owner of the Onslaught Badge and the Monolith Badge
Previous owner of the Indurate Badge and the Dual Wing Badge (Pre-scrap)
216 TP - 84 KOs - 20 SP (11 SP Debt to Machamp-X)
(W/L/D and stats recompiled as of 4/25/17)
Observe. Adapt. Evolve.
Altocharizard55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #52
Jerichi
本✚能

4/6. Why is this still a thing?

No more 4/6 outside of exhibitions.

気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:25 PM   #53
Mercutio
Banned

Of course, 6/9 isn't really that viable any more given the way we have ended up treating type energy and exhaustion.

*places can of worms carefully on floor*

*flees*
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:29 PM   #54
Snorby
Lacking in Beef

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #55
Eliteknight
Tommy used to work...

Suggestion:
D grade and ungraded refs can take over matches which havn't reached round 1 with permisson.

aka thread went up but nothing got done since basicly and it saves the time or making a new thread

PASBL Squad l C+ Grade Ref l Grass Gym Trainer

Spoiler: show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Well I don't know I wanted to deal damage and Starmie is inorganic :X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Starmie is a starfish, it is not inorganic :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Kush I'm TL1. How am I supposed to know things if you don't tell me them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
It's a starfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
I have 1 SP. Retroactively claiming the SP tax on all the things I did whilst LO.

I now have 1 SP.
Eliteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:43 PM   #56
Snorby
Lacking in Beef

Gonna throw in my support of the above. There's absolutely no good reason for them to not be able to do that much.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:45 PM   #57
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Same. If they're at round 1 with no reffings, arguably the match hasn't started yet so it's no different to them grabbing it off the queue.
C grade ref.

WF quest log here.

FB stuff here.
Ironthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:26 PM   #58
Jerichi
本✚能

Fine.

And we'll have a discussion about exhaustion here eventually. I just... need to find time to sort sigs >>;

気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:45 PM   #59
Fairfax
space monkey mafia

Location: the chamber i built where all the robots scream at you
Send a message via Skype™ to Fairfax
Oh god yes please.

Exhaustion is one of those things definitely in need of illumination, if not standardization.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:50 AM   #60
Kyuu-Tales
Heistin'

Send a message via Skype™ to Kyuu-Tales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliteknight View Post
Suggestion:
D grade and ungraded refs can take over matches which havn't reached round 1 with permisson.

aka thread went up but nothing got done since basicly and it saves the time or making a new thread
Agreed: 'tis the season to TA, and we need to do our utmost to see the League through. (That, and the D/UG referees trying improve the quality of their reffing could definitely use the practice.)

ABYSSAL MADNESS
Walking the Trainer's path since 1997/8
SPPf | BGf
| PASBL Record | TL1 - 0W / 4L / 0D
0 KOs / 9 TP / 0 SP
Referee Grade: D
=Friend Code= 2208 - 5726 - 0181
Pokemon Sun Trainer Name - コウライ | Pokemon Moon Trainer Name - ひょうりん
★いつでも「KON」って行け! 狐が最高★
Kyuu-Tales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:32 PM   #61
Altocharizard55
The Scientist

I make this suggestion fairly certain that it will be shot down without a whole lot of thought, but dammit I'm going to make it anyway.

So, I don't entirely understand why Pokemon that Mega-Evolve into X type, that were not originally X type, are outright not allowed in X Gym. I understand that we should not be letting a leader bring a Fire/Flying 'Zard into a Dragon Gym for some time without mega-evolving it, as well as understand that it equally isn't fair if that 'mon starts the match already mega-evolved.

But both of these issues are easily avoidable under the following clause: A gym leader, if bringing a Pokemon not originally of that leader's type that Mega-Evolves into a Pokemon of that leader's type, MUST Mega-Evolve it immediately upon sending it out.

Can someone explain to me why this would be not feasible?

PASBL Stats

TL 4 (35-21-6)
Observe. Adapt. Evolve.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:36 PM   #62
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

This debate happened a few months ago and i swear something was said about it.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:16 PM   #63
Sneaze
#SWAG

Send a message via Skype™ to Sneaze
To be fair we've kinda implemented a test on the subject in the E4. That said, as it's not yet been actually tested I don't think we should be attempting to implement it.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Whatever Sneasel says is right
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:20 PM   #64
Altocharizard55
The Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaze View Post
To be fair we've kinda implemented a test on the subject in the E4. That said, as it's not yet been actually tested I don't think we should be attempting to implement it.
That's entirely fair, and I'm okay with that! I'm just trying to hear the reasons we didn't implement it in the first place. As far as I understand, the reasoning is essentially "Dragon doesn't need it." But from everywhere I looked, this was never really stated super explicitly, and it more or less boiled down to "eh we don't like it". But that's definitely reasonable!

PASBL Stats

TL 4 (35-21-6)
Observe. Adapt. Evolve.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:44 AM   #65
Aposteriori
Banned

Basically there was not actual reason not to other than not wanting to, but then the E4 popped up and they implemented it for that
Aposteriori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 05:04 AM   #66
Connor
Who Knows?

Gym Leaders are meant to be beatable. Allowing this makes a Dragon Gym incredibly hard to surmount. Not only do they already have access to some excellent Pokemon, they would gain access to three (Charizard X, Mega Ampharos and Mega Sceptile) more, and the only one of these which isn't wildly useful to a Dragon Gym is Sceptile. Charizard X is neutral to Ice and Water, two types which give Dragon a run for their money, while Ampharos gets unlimited SE on the latter.

In my eyes this gives Dragon Gyms too much of a boon over the opposition when you consider the fact they will also have a Badge backing them up, as well as no doubt a number of arena effects. Even if we said they would have to immediately Mega Evolve, this doesn't really change the fact that the use of them would hand the Gym Leader even more of an advantage than they were already packing, and they're meant to inherently be the one with the disadvantage.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 05:13 AM   #67
Aposteriori
Banned

In theory it would give them too much boon. In practice, Kush went undefeated with the absence of mega pokemon. Dragons now have fairies to worry about, and have freeze dry to annoy Kingdra. The pokemon that Kush heavily relied on suddenly have to worry about a type that they don't even have enough coverage against under normal circumstances. If you want to beat a dragon gym today, your best bet is a couple of good fairies. One Mega Charizard X, and you are good to live another day against a smart trainer who will pack Clefable, Wigglytuff, Azumarill.

Hard counters for all of the megas mentioned are Flygon, and Gliscor. Soft counters for at least two of the megas would be Steelix, Mamoswine, Lapras, almost any ice type.

Adapt. That is what I can say to the trainer facing this new mechanic. As the opposing trainer, you will always know what mega you are going to face. If someone is going to bring two mega, state in their squad post which one is the one locked into evolving. There are good counters for all of the megas, and probably will be more in the upcoming gen.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:57 AM   #68
Mercutio
Banned

This is a bad idea.

But.

I went undefeated because my challengers made incredibly poor choices. Volbeat, Florges and Seperior? Come on.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:20 AM   #69
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

But Volbeat is objectively the best bug!
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #70
Snorby
Lacking in Beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aposteriori View Post
In theory it would give them too much boon. In practice, Kush went undefeated with the absence of mega pokemon. Dragons now have fairies to worry about, and have freeze dry to annoy Kingdra. The pokemon that Kush heavily relied on suddenly have to worry about a type that they don't even have enough coverage against under normal circumstances. If you want to beat a dragon gym today, your best bet is a couple of good fairies. One Mega Charizard X, and you are good to live another day against a smart trainer who will pack Clefable, Wigglytuff, Azumarill.

Hard counters for all of the megas mentioned are Flygon, and Gliscor. Soft counters for at least two of the megas would be Steelix, Mamoswine, Lapras, almost any ice type.

Adapt. That is what I can say to the trainer facing this new mechanic. As the opposing trainer, you will always know what mega you are going to face. If someone is going to bring two mega, state in their squad post which one is the one locked into evolving. There are good counters for all of the megas, and probably will be more in the upcoming gen.
You're proving Connor's point here. You're heavily implying that one would need to be TL6 to beat a Dragon Gym which is not okay on more levels than I can count. That means something like a whopping 5 people in the league can fight that Dragon Gym on equal footing. Sure, Connor could probably beat a hypothetical Dragon Gym by packing Flygon, Clefable, Wigglytuff, Mega Altaria, and the like, but that doesn't make it as beatable as a gym should be. The way I see it, if the average TL4/5 (We'll use Miror or TKF for example) is completely hopeless against it, the Gym needs to be toned down in a big way. And I honestly don't think TKF can walk into the Dragon Gym we have hypothesized and have an even remotely good shot of coming out with a badge, regardless of which GL-level person we have is running it.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:00 AM   #71
Aposteriori
Banned

As you advance through the TLs, you naturally become a harder gym leader to face.

If gato were to get the gym at TL4, he doesn't have access to Mega Charizard, Mega Ampharos, or Mega Altaria unless he wants to risk disobedience.

At the TL5, you still miss out on multiple TL6 dragons, so you are limited to one, and you are yet able to get dragonite.

TL6, that's when you get the full access. So what if you get Charizard X? You are already good, its not going to make unbeatable but it will give you a well rounded team.

You shouldn't be looking to face this gym at lower TLs.

Having confidence in my skills, I was going to handle Charminion's Charizard-X with Lunatone. You can find creative ways to deal with the megas, they have counters or decent neutral matchups. You can probably do something well with Dunsparce. I just think its limiting to ban a great function that makes sense thematically, and its not a clutch for the gym leader to rely on these pokemon.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #72
Snorby
Lacking in Beef

No see it doesn't make sense thematically either. There's no precedent in the games, anime, or even manga for a GL using a mon not of their type that then mega evolves into their type. The E4 is the only place it fits thematically, which I assume is why it's being tried there.

And the point of gyms is to be beatable. There shouldn't be a gym you have to be TL6 to beat, period. So when you put forth the argument that a slew of TL6 mon can counter the Dragon Gym.. I'm sorry that's just a bad argument.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #73
Slash
Poison Jam

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
While I agree with keeping the Megas out of the Gyms, let's not try to bring anime or game precedence on off-type Pokemon being allowed in Gyms. Rhydon in Fire, Octillery in Electric, etc.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:35 PM   #74
Snorby
Lacking in Beef

While you're absolutely right, my point was even with idiotic things like that flying in the games/anime, Megas like that don't. Which should speak volumes about how poor an argument it is that it fits thematically.

Old 06-18-2016, 12:51 PM   #75
Mercutio
Banned

There are like 800 pokémon. You do not need Megas to run a gym.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries