UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries

Old 05-29-2016, 03:16 PM   #26
Slash
Poison Jam

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I'd like to suggest that, given the likelihood of a sig reset (and at the very least, many sigs have now been dropped so it's an opportune time), that we use this opportunity to scrub "solid" from the damage/energy terms and replace it with a different word, as solid is also a main identifier for moves that hit physical. Generally it's not a huge problem, but is has come up at least once, and it could do well to prevent any future confusion.

Something like sizable, middling (being .5 off the middle of the scale), intermediate, etc.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:27 PM   #27
Altocharizard55
The Scientist

Huh. Personally I never noticed it, but I'm perfectly alright with that change.

Middling is a good term.

PASBL Stats

TL 4 (35-21-6)
Current owner of the Onslaught Badge and the Monolith Badge
Previous owner of the Indurate Badge and the Dual Wing Badge (Pre-scrap)
216 TP - 84 KOs - 20 SP (11 SP Debt to Machamp-X)
(W/L/D and stats recompiled as of 4/25/17)
Observe. Adapt. Evolve.
Altocharizard55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:43 PM   #28
Snorby
Lacking in Beef

I like the idea, but this should by no means be a priority.

I'd say Average would be a good term, being similar to middling, except it sticks out less among the others

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:04 AM   #29
Snorby
Lacking in Beef

Pardon the double post- if I edit this will likely be missed.

Suggestion: Given we have like, 10 active and graded refs heading into what is traditionally one of the busiest periods in the ASB calendar, can we temporarily either remove or at least considerably loosen ref caps? Even if all of our active and graded refs reffed to their cap (they don't), we'd barely have enough manpower to cover all the people on the FIRST PAGE of UPN matches, assuming they use their 5 standard slots and no others. We have a whole lot more than the ~15-20 battlers we can realistically sustain at the moment. No new refs are coming anytime soon. I get the fear of ASB shutting down when somebody goes on TA, but surely having 5 more matches shut down for a week while Connor goes on vacation is better than having 5 matches rot in the queue for a month before getting picked up?

Old 05-31-2016, 07:10 AM   #30
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Yeah i feel like that is probably a good idea. I doubt many people would actually go outside the cap, i have been one of the most active refs over the past few months and have only had 11 matches at one time which is still 2 short of my cap i think. Considering we could see quite a few people return over the summer (winter for some of us), it is definitely worth considering.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:24 AM   #31
Aposteriori
Banned

Or encourage newer trainers to ref, and for older trainers, be more selective, and have everyone do their fair share.

If you are not reffing at least one match, your cap should go down to three slots to reduce the stress

Last edited by Aposteriori; 05-31-2016 at 12:24 PM. Reason: my chubby figers meant have not jave
Aposteriori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:43 AM   #32
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Removing reffing caps might not help too much, because the hassle of keeping track of about nine matches (Reffing four, fighting in five) can be a nightmare as is. Saying 'You can now ref more shit!' isn't necessarily a motivator to ref more.
C grade ref.

WF quest log here.

FB stuff here.
Ironthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:02 AM   #33
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aposteriori View Post
Or encourage newer trainers to ref, and for older trainers, be more selective, and jave everyone do their fair share.

If you are not reffing at least one match, your cap should go down to three slots to reduce the stress
Why would you reduce someone's cap? How would this encourage them to ref again? It makes absolutely no sense at all.

I think the main point snorby is trying to make is that while not everyone will want to break there cap, some may want to and making it so they can if the opportunity presents itself just means clears the up a mess before it happens.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:23 AM   #34
Connor
Who Knows?

I think he means battling slots. Which I wanted to suggest back when we were discussing how to get people to referee. It was not popular. For some good reasons and some blatantly lazy, self fulfilling reasons.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:37 AM   #35
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
I think he means battling slots. Which I wanted to suggest back when we were discussing how to get people to referee. It was not popular. For some good reasons and some blatantly lazy, self fulfilling reasons.
It explicitly says ref caps lol but that would be a great idea. How about if you wipe all your sigs you can have a free temporary battle slot? Two birds one stone as the saying goes ;)

Edit: wait your saying lower people's battle slots if they don't ref? That sounds incredibly rough.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:59 AM   #36
Aposteriori
Banned

that sounds fairest. Three slots and no exhibition. Those slots can be unlocked after reffing at least a certain number of matches. If you don't contribute, you don't get to add weight and pressure to the system.

@Connor

We have been working on acknowledging entitlement. This is entitlement tow ant four slots and not ref, so lets curb it somehow instead of perpetuating it for selfish reasons. Imon, and probably yours is that the status quo in this regard is not the solution because it becomes unsustainable.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:07 AM   #37
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

I'm really against punitive measures. People should not have their battle slots taken off them if they don't wish to ref or just arnt able to. Having to earn SP to go up TLs and SP being a currency is more than enough incentive for most people to ref. Restricting someone's slots is just something that is not going to be effective, forcing people to do something out of fear of punitive measures is not something that will create a positive community.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:52 AM   #38
Aposteriori
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnightsFury View Post
I'm really against punitive measures. People should not have their battle slots taken off them if they don't wish to ref or just arnt able to. Having to earn SP to go up TLs and SP being a currency is more than enough incentive for most people to ref. Restricting someone's slots is just something that is not going to be effective, forcing people to do something out of fear of punitive measures is not something that will create a positive community.
Before my time, there were three slots + gym challenge due to a ref shortage. Fast forward today, we now have the potential of five active slots + gym challenge from a trainers pov and an additional two slots from a gym leader pov. If you cannot contribue due to lack time, you should reasonably have less matches. For someone taking it slow, three slots is hardly a problem.

If anything, alternative 2.0.1.a version 3 2016tm

-TL1 start off with three slots and earn one additional slot once they pass the ref test. They get to keep that slot if they actively ref at least one match for a period of six months.
-For older trainers, the must be a contributing member and ref 1 as a privilege to get one additional slot. If they dont, they get their slots reduced to 3. Once they ref 1 a 3v3 singles non leveling match, they regain the slot. No one is forcing you to ref to begin with, but we do need to maintain a balance between number of battles and number of refs available.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:34 AM   #39
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
No. Removing battling slots is not going to motivate people to ref, it's going to make people battle less which in turn will do the league as a whole absolutely no good.
C grade ref.

WF quest log here.

FB stuff here.
Ironthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:56 AM   #40
Snorby
Lacking in Beef

Whoa this sure blew up while I was asleep didn't?

No lie I had a proposal that involved nixing the 5th battle slot, how to make tournaments suck less, and what to do with exhibitions all rolled into one that Sneaze was going to include some stuff in, but Sneaze being Sneaze we've never actually sent it to Jeri.

If people are actually gonna not be self-serving when talking about battle slots for once, I'll bring the basics of the idea to the forefront, and should Jeri like the sound of it Sneaze and I can give him more details at a later date.

Basically, the gist of the proposal is that we nix the 5th battle slot and repurpose Exhibitions as a tournament style. Exhibs can still be put in one of your 4 remaining slots or you can buy an extra slot for them at your leisure, but they'd also be the focus of most tournaments. We'd be doing away with the silly 2v2 restricted squad lol-this-doesn't-actually-prove-anything type tours, and we'd focus on quick, 8-16 man tours with Strict DQ times. Each tour would be in a variety of exhibition styles: One might be an Equiall Rental tournament where each round uses a different TL, one might be a No-Type Chart tournament, one might be an Inverse Tournament. Prizes, naturally, would be sized down to fit the lowered prestige of winning one of these tournaments. This isn't to say they'd be the only tournaments that happened: Things like PokeBowl would still happen, and more serious tournaments could still happen, but we'd still be doing away with restrictions like making the matches 1v1 to 2v2 and saying you can only use Pokemon X Y and Z for the whole tournament.

To sure Exhibs don't get out of hand, someone (Sneaze? Jeri? Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż) Will go through ideas that have been used to date, and the people that do will make a list of currently acceptable Exhib themes. Those will be used for tournaments, and those will be the ones you can pick from. If you have a NEW Exhib idea, there will be a new thread similar to HP Submissions where you will pitch your idea and get LO Approval for a test match. This test match does not use one of your battle slots, but it also nets no KOs/TP for either side, though the ref still gets their full SP. You then submit the test match back into the thread once completed, and the LOs will give their final ruling on the acceptability of the match you've proposed.

Again, want to reiterate that Sneaze contributed a fair bit to this. Don't want to steal his thunder if people like the proposal we made xp

Anyway, I'd like to see the above go into place, and then in addition if deemed necessary something like what Apost is suggesting could go in place as well:

3 standard battle slots, and for every one match you ref to completion, you get one match in the restricted fourth battle slot. For people deserving of the fourth battle slot, this would not be an issue- they'd be able to stop reffing for a good long time and still have their battle slot because they ref 5-10 matches at a time as is. But if you can't even ref 1 match for every 4 you participate in, you don't deserve that fourth battle, in my mind.

By the way, I say this as someone who is out of the house anywhere between 9 and 12 hours a day during the school year. It's why I restrict my reffing so heavily outside of the summer months. I get reffing isn't always easy, but even during the school year when I'm not being crushed by depression I managed to ref a match or two. I'm sure anybody could ref a single match at a time if they really wanted to set aside the time for it.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:48 AM   #41
Connor
Who Knows?

It's like you plucked from my head all of the things I wanted to implement in the past while I was LO. The tournament idea I can see falling flat, would personally recommend we simply just draft the list of exhibitions which are acceptable and nix the fifth slot. Arguably (arguably) say people can have the fifth slot if they are actually refereeing a competent, healthy amount (5 battles?)
Old 05-31-2016, 12:04 PM   #42
Snorby
Lacking in Beef

In regards to the tournament stuff, yeah it might not work, but imo just about anything is better than the abomination TJI, UaCC, and TFC have been.

As for the 5th battle slot, idk. I'd say it'd be best to hold off on that at first, and if things seem to be running smoothly, then we give that a whirl. Alternatively we could do it the opposite way where we trying it right off the bat and remove it if it doesn't work, but I feel like it would be better to incentivize everyone to do stuff than have to end up taking it away when people don't do enough to warrant it and end up with community backlash twice over.

EDIT: actually having discussed with Connor a bit more we have come to the conclusion that I'm dumb and wasn't thinking that bit through. 1 use of a 5th slot for every 5 battles reffed sounds fine.

Last edited by Snorby; 05-31-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:18 PM   #43
Mercutio
Banned

It is more sensible to reduce battling slots than increase reffing slots to be perfectly honest.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:09 PM   #44
Sneaze
#SWAG

Send a message via Skype™ to Sneaze
Snorby remind me to have an actual convo with you in regards to this so it can be sent to Jeri now that my internet isn't being trash.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Whatever Sneasel says is right
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:21 AM   #45
Aposteriori
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
6v6
Doubles
Slapstick
4/6
Switch=OK
Equiall 2
48 HR DQ
Arena: Iceberg
Outside. The Arena takes place on a large iceberg (14x14m) in the middle of the ocean. Around the iceberg are a few smaller ice floes. Snow and Hail are somewhat common. Wild Seel, Dewgong, Spheal, Sealeo, Walrein, Bergmite, Avalugg, Piplup, Prinplup, and Empoleon may appear.

Obviously for fun and trying to finalky get to TL3 so idc if the opp is fast or slow

Eliteknight will be reffing.
Can we just cut 4/6 finally? There wasn't even an attempt to mask the abuse of this particularly outdated system. If this is still revolutionary, we could compromise and cut it out of doubles, it is the one place where it does not have a single justification. Under 6/9, you can do ORKO so I dont see how this system is needed for doubles.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #46
Connor
Who Knows?

Wipe 4/6 off the face of the earth because that is not okay and let's all move on with our lives.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:05 AM   #47
Slash
Poison Jam

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
Wipe 4/6 off the face of the earth because that is not okay and let's all move on with our lives.
As may be expected though, our clear winner here was Kairne, ASB's champion of prioritizing the pokemon you like over those that are objectively better. I mean, one of his mains is a Watchog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.
Leader of the "Stop Screwing Over Smeargle" Brigade

ASB
Spoiler: show
Art by Kairne
ASB
[URL="http://forums.upnetwork.net/showthread.php?t=4387"]
Daisy Art:

Battlecuts courtesy of DaisyInari

Random stuffs:

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:23 AM   #48
Mercutio
Banned

Yessssssssssssssssssss

Except for no-type battles.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:28 AM   #49
Snorby
Lacking in Beef

Yeah No-Type Exhibitions should actually probably be 4/6 by default so they don't last FOREVER

Old 06-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #50
Zelphon
Happy October

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
4/6 is cool for levellers, there's also just no actual reason to remove them as an option.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries