UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries

Old 05-29-2016, 10:20 AM   #151
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

Freeze dry is almost always STAB though, only a handful of ice types learn it.

Edit: Oh wait no that shouldnt be a thing. Could you limit it to like two moves of the same type though?
Old 05-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #152
Jerichi
本✚能

One move is plenty.

Trust me, we have had sigs like this in the past even before Freeze-Dry was a thingand they are really, really unhealthy if they are not pretty restricted.

気紛れを 許して 今更なんて思わずに急かしてよ
もっと中迄入って あたしの衝動を 突き動かしてよ

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:55 AM   #153
Aposteriori
Banned

Give us a date when reviews will roll out and I think this could be it. The 4 pages of banter didn't quite have much of anything that wasn't already addressed in the OP
Aposteriori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:15 AM   #154
Mercutio
Banned

Wanted to post quickly and complement people on a largely healthy and sensible discussion on these issues that I know are of great interest to many

For info, I assisted Jeri in drawing up the original draft but have deliberately stayed away from this thread in order to later be able to come at it with fresh eyes and ensure my reputation did not colour debates. I have now read through the entire thread and given Jeri my comments - I believe it is his intention to finish this up in a short while. He seems to be minded to ensure that there is a little bit of flex in things so I'm confident that the system he is devising will work really well for people. Sigs are often cited as one of the great things about ASB.

One tip for some of the naysayers in this discussion... were this all to be implemented as hard rules, not soft guidelines, it would not in any way stifle creativity. I know it seems like it would do, on the surface, but you just need to look around at some of the more subtle sig-writers, not the ones with trophies and loud voices, to appreciate this point. I have faith in the boundless imagination of the ASB to find new and exciting ways of writing cool sigs within the framework it looks like we will be building. One or two comments in this thread have come from a place of selfishness and a desire to deliberately push boundaries as far as is possible. I understand those feelings, but I would encourage you to place them at the back of your mind.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:36 PM   #155
Altocharizard55
The Scientist

I said I would comment on the actual rules later, and here we are. Offending parts in bold blue, suggestions/fixes in red. I will try to filter stuff out that I'm not referring to, as to decrease the bulkiness of this post. Strike-through used to fix miscellaneous errors/ambiguities/etc.

Spoiler: show

2) Type Changes
Type changes must be within some level of reason. You can't have your Pokémon sprout wings to become Flying or die to become a Ghost type. There are no banned type changes (yes, you can have your Dark/Steel/Fairy/Ghost type changes), but type changes outside of fairly standard changes (things like Water/Bug Masquerain, Bug/Electric Volbeat, pure Rock Rhyhorn etc.) will be fairly heavily scrutinized. If you lose a type via a type change, you cannot keep unlimited energy of that type (familiarity is fine though), and you must lose the benefits granted by that type’s type characteristic. You will also gain the weakness/resistance spread, though you may need to modify it for balance.

So this is super minor and nitpicky, and I know you said that these were intentionally rough. I suggest adding in the Ghost type to that list, just to make it clear that Ghost type changes are allowed. Also, and this may be met with a lot of annoyance, there should probably be a particular subsection of the more finely tuned codification on Ghost type changes, if we are deciding to not ban them altogether. Ghosts are already wonky without the complication of people trying to do Ghost stuff in sigs. I have a couple of good suggestions on this topic, but I don't want to veer too much off the point of this post.

4) Moveset Alterations
You may pick up a maximum of 6 moves. These moves may not be more than 3 different types. You can pick up a maximum of two moves without dropping any moves, but if you pick up 3 or more moves, you must drop at least two. Outside of the one two "free moves", you must drop at least one move of roughly equivalent power or effect for every offensive move you add, and drop one move of any kind for eachsky non-damaging move you pick up. If you have two or more moves that are effectively identical (e.g. Protect/Detect/Safeguard, Heal Bell/Refresh, etc.), you must drop both moves for it to be considered one move. If you add a move, your Pokémon must be reasonably able to perform the move for it to work (i.e. have the proper limbs, have similar moves, etc.).

The bold part should read "You can pick up a maximum of two moves without dropping any moves. For every move after the first two, you must drop at least one move." I think this might have just been a poor splice from a debate on whether a 'mon could get one or two free moves, but if it isn't, it's a little silly to have to drop two moves to go to three new moves, opposed to dropping none to go to two.

6) Entry Hazards
Entry hazard can only have a single effect, be it damage, a status, a boost or drop or a similar effect. They must be clearable by conventional hazard clearing moves and be directly targetable and destroyable by damaging moves of damage roughly proportional to the damage they inflict (or roughly considerable damage if they if the hazard inflicts no damage). Generally, they must be at least somewhat inefficient.

7) Type Energy Sigs
Pokémon may become familiar with a single type, allowing them more type energy and the associated perks of type familiarity. You may also gain up to 3 moves of that type, but you must drop at least 3 moves. You cannot have sigs that allow for unlimited type energy or that change an unlimited type energy to which you already have access, save for type changes.

So, if I gain a single move along with this, I should drop at least three? This doesn't work. Bolded part should read "You may also gain up to 3 moves of that type, but for each move gained this way, you must drop at least one move. For move adding/dropping guidelines, see Moveset Alterations." This makes the bolded part less terrible but still not as good as a pure moveset change.

10) Healing Moves/Effects
Draining moves can restore either energy or health and draw from the same sources. However, they may not restore more than 3/4 of what they gain deal. Diminishing returns apply, and moves that restore more than ˝ on their first use must diminish more quickly.

PASBL Stats

TL 4 (35-21-6)
Current owner of the Onslaught Badge and the Monolith Badge
Previous owner of the Indurate Badge and the Dual Wing Badge (Pre-scrap)
216 TP - 84 KOs - 20 SP (11 SP Debt to Machamp-X)
(W/L/D and stats recompiled as of 4/25/17)
Observe. Adapt. Evolve.
Altocharizard55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:23 PM   #156
Slash
Poison Jam

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Oh, one thing with the drains limited at restoring 3/4 of what they deal, Giga Drain restores more than that. It seems a bit off that sigs have to be worse than a fairly well-distributed move.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:30 PM   #157
Jerichi
本✚能

Huh I could have sworn it restores half.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:28 AM   #158
Slash
Poison Jam

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Giga Drain (GR) -- The user creates a number of short green energy tendrils and drains a heavy amount of energy from the target in the space of a few seconds. If the user is close to the target, it restores its own energy reserves by the same amount, with the amount recovered lessening with distance. Though this move does not cost the user any energy, it counts as using up a heavy amount of their Grass type pool if they are not a Grass type. It deals no damage but its effectiveness is based upon weakness and resistance. This move counts as a 'draining move' and contributes towards diminishing returns. When the user uses a draining move, the next draining move it uses will be 10% less effective for the same energy cost.

Just to show it for everyone.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:10 AM   #159
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

I also have a question. What should the guidelines be on changing the type energy of moves? Such as making light screen use ground type energy for a rhyhorn as an example

Interested in the PASBL (Pokemon Anime Style Battle League)? Read our Getting Started thread! Got a question? Go to our Q/A thread.

Spoiler: show
biggggg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:21 AM   #160
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

That's an -ate sig which Jeri seems to be flat against. If you want a screen that uses stab energy just make a type based barrier, like one that uses ground energy lol
Old 05-31-2016, 04:39 AM   #161
Mercutio
Banned

In practice it should no different to inventing a Ground type Reflect. So you can do that. Tackling it this way has a number of benefits in terms of game design
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:41 AM   #162
Aposteriori
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggggg5 View Post
I also have a question. What should the guidelines be on changing the type energy of moves? Such as making light screen use ground type energy for a rhyhorn as an example
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnightsFury View Post
That's an -ate sig which Jeri seems to be flat against. If you want a screen that uses stab energy just make a type based barrier, like one that uses ground energy lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
In practice it should no different to inventing a Ground type Reflect. So you can do that. Tackling it this way has a number of benefits in terms of game design
If you guys check the thread, I think I recall asking this. Changing one more or so to stab is fine. Changing a whole type of move into stag is what caused the issue. Especially things with secondary effects
Aposteriori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #163
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

Needs the obligatory "your Electrode will get away with more than your Eelektross" and "ultimately up to sig approver's discretion".

You know that people will point to these guidelines when they feel their sig was wrongly rejected and act like these are more firm than they are. These clauses are easy ways to shut them up and it's not like either of those clauses are wrong.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Suggestions and Inquiries