UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 01-28-2016, 02:33 PM   #276
tau
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to tau
I may have missed a lot of this news when I stopped following game announcements, but the stuff that was cut was entirely optional stuff to begin with anyway, right? Like, did rubbing your little fite-man's actually increase their Support Levels, or was it purely for some weird RP matchmaker type thing?

Because frankly, cutting certain mechanics doesn't bother me, if it's not stuff I would have used anyway. I get that "Well if they take away X, they might end up taking away Y," but as long as I have my grid and my weapon triangle and I can send my cavalry units around to flank the enemy while I bait them out with my Lord and set up a defensive wall with the hard hitters around my healer to make a second front, then I'm not gonna complain the 'Petz: Lordz' is no longer in a core game.
tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:42 PM   #277
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
tbh, I was kinda looking forward to the petting thing, ngl. Save time on support grinding. But, of all the things to be cut, that's not too bad.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:54 PM   #278
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
If they had swapped out petting for dragging cookies/cakes over to the characters and having you fatten them up with sweets (metaphorically speaking), do you think that that would have worked for those who are creeped out by the petting but who like the content otherwise?
Eh, still not really fitting with the whole "war between your family" themes but still better than petting. I understand that face petting is something that's more common overseas (from what I can gather), and I won't say people into it are creepy, it's just different cultures. The way it's presented here is just...weird, like, you can invite any characters into your room and start petting their faces...I just feel that with the tone the game is trying to present through the story, it's inconsistent. The series has had a mix of light hearted moments to go alongside the main story, but lately, it feels like the the amount of the former is starting to eclipse the latter. Idk how to explain it right.

Quote:
I haven't played a game in the series since the the GBA, but as an outsider observer, Fire Emblem's seemed to be moving more and more in the direction of a hybrid RPG + date simulator. Given this, I don't really understand all of the flak the devs are getting for including more date sim elements, however disturbing they might be to some veteran fans. With Fire Emblem's status as "the date sim of JRPGs," any protests against the further date sim-ification of the series seem rather pointless to me. Not saying you're not right to feel upset or whatnot. Especially those of you who have been fans since the SNES days and who were on board for the gameplay, story, and even the characters but who never signed up for the waifu-&-hazubando aspects. I'm just saying, your pleas are going to fall on deaf ears since (it seems clear to me that) the devs are further and further date sim-ifying the FE series. If these changes upset you, your only real means of recourse at this point are to quit buying the games. I think the games have enjoyed a renaissance of popularity for different reasons depending on the region. (In the West, because the games have actually gotten released for a change, starting with the early 2000s; and because of advertisement via Smash Bros. In Japan, the date simulator aspects are a larger contributor than they are over here since the two reasons I supplied for the West don't really apply to Japan. FE was always available and known about over there. "One of the big three," and all that.) I don't think the loss of Western sales would necessarily curtail the date sim-ification of the franchise, as I think all it'd do is ensure that FE returns to being a Japan-only RPG series. But there's no point in being miserable either. If you're upset by how date simmy Fire Emblem has become, hop over to another franchise that isn't so date simmy.
I'm not a veteran player (only played 5 games, and started around 2012), but even I'm starting to feel that the dating sim-esque features are out of place. I honestly disagree with your assessment that it's pointless to argue, the focus on the dating sim-esque features have been hurting the games. Awakening had the lowest amount of focus on strategy by far, ranging from the overall lackluster map designs (fields without much terrain, wide open with high enemy density), lack of chapter objectives (for example, there's only kill boss and kill all the enemies in the game, while older titles such as the GBA titles had objectives like seize and defend for X turns), poor way of increasing difficulty by simply inflating enemy stats too high or giving them overpowered skills. Another thing I dislike is how the perception of Fire Emblem has pretty much become "that really weeb-y series of dating sims Nintendo puts out", so basically, it's come to the point where the people who care more about the actual strategy or gameplay make up a smaller part of the fandom. I mean, anyone can call me "a salty delusional moron" if they so please, and hell, maybe it is true, but this is my honest opinion on the subject matter.

As for stopping the purchases of the games, it'll do pretty much nothing at this point, the direction of the series will go even further into the waifu territory, unfortunately for those who are opposed to it. As much as it makes sense to jump ship, I still find the gameplay at its core to be enjoyable though, despite my low opinion on Awakening, I've found that the rest of the games I've played to be pretty solid all round. Hell, the gameplay for Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest/Nohr/Black Kingdom is the thing I'm most excited for, since they've brought back some older gameplay elements for the veteran players. The only other SRPGs I've played were the demos of Stella Glow and Project X Zone (yeah should really look into playing FF Tactics soon), and I really didn't find myself enjoying either of those, at all. Fire Emblem, even though it appears complex on the surface, actually isn't. It's rather transparent about most mechanics, such the weapon triangle, calculating attack damage, attack speed, etc. It's pretty simple at its core, disregarding the differing mechanics for the various games, of course, which is one of the most appealing things about the series, for me. But whatever, I've pointlessly and incoherently rambled long enough on this topic.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:19 PM   #279
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Going on impressions coming out:

Rubbing = Axed
Other My Room stuff = In
Japanese Audio = Axed
Revelations = Definitely on the cart

No JP audio is really super lame. Not gutting optional features is not so bad? Still haven't made it out ta actually cancel my order but I'm not all that sure I'll go through with buying it either. Even if the cast of characters is totally different, dumping the JP audio is why I passed on Atelier Ayesha. It's just so bad having ta play different games in a series in different languages -.-
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #280
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

The petting thing got replaced with some face-touching thing apparently. Not the worst thing ever, still gives the bonuses, but ngl I'd personally prefer the original thing.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:30 PM   #281
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

There's no rubbing, period. They still use the same 2D Live image stuff, but the character just says some stuff and gives the same bonuses as in the original.

I prefer it this way, and from what I've heard from the people who have the Japanese version, they felt that the petting was repetitive.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:34 AM   #282
Red Panda
head head bitch

Yeah I can imagine that it'd devolve into furiously scratching their faces with a stylus if face rubbing was obviously easier for grinding supports
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:28 PM   #283
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

According to a new video the face rubbing is in for characters that got an S in friendship with the MC. So it's not creepy or terrible thing ta do if you're really really good friends with the person right? The saga never ends!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:03 PM   #284
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

So, it's basically limited to whichever person you marry. ...gdi nintendo.

Speaking of which, who has their initial runs planned out yet? I do, and there's no release date for me yet...

Spoiler: show
Birthright: White Blood, marrying Hinoka.
Conquest: Dark Blood, marrying Silas.
Revelations: Hero, marrying either Elise or Sakura.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:34 PM   #285
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post

Revelations: Hero, marrying either Elise or Sakura.
*quietly chuckles in the corner*

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:41 PM   #286
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
According to a new video the face rubbing is in for characters that got an S in friendship with the MC. So it's not creepy or terrible thing ta do if you're really really good friends with the person right? The saga never ends!
Wrong, if Corrin has an S support and goes into the Private Quarters, they'll be able to awaken their spouse by blowing into the 3DS Mic or by tapping the screen briefly. Face rubbing is completely cut, and honestly, I don't even care about it. The dialogue's still in, and you don't need to do a repetitive minigame to unlock it.

"but muh censorship!?!?!?", well, not a single FE has gone out of Japan without being "localized." FE7 had a feature that linked with FE6 cut out, the extended epilogue was cut out in the European releases. FE8 had multiple changes relating to units' bases and growths. FE9 lost Maniac Mode, FE10 lost the entire extended script and mistranslated difficulty modes, FE13 had changes with characters like Henry and Nowi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamenAeons View Post
*quietly chuckles in the corner*
I feel so bad for those two.

Anyways, I'm thinking my runs would look like this:

Birthright: Spd+/Luk- Merc, male Corrin married to Oboro, Azura, or Felicia (for gameplay benefits, really)
Conquest: Spd+/Luk- Ninja, female Corrin married to Kaze, Niles, Jakob, or Silas
Revelations: Undecided.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:57 PM   #287
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Staying away from this thread to avoid spoilers, but seriously:

Who do I have to fuck to get an EU release date?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:20 PM   #288
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
Hey
Old 02-17-2016, 03:56 PM   #289
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Nothing yet still josh, but rumors indicate that it may be sometime in June.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:33 PM   #290
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebs View Post
Hey
Meet me in the usual spot in 15 minutes.

Bring Reggie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:15 AM   #291
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Chapter 17, for context

Quote:
[2:08:46 PM] Emilia, Czar of Cute Girls: Whew okay all the reinforcements are dead
[2:09:02 PM] Emilia, Czar of Cute Girls: Now time to see if Uber!Marisa can totally disrespect the boss by killing him with Silencer
[2:09:09 PM] Emilia, Czar of Cute Girls: because fuck you Formotiis
[2:09:51 PM] Emilia, Czar of Cute Girls: HAHAHAHAHAHA YES
[2:10:00 PM] Emilia, Czar of Cute Girls: MARISA JUST TOTALLY TOOK OUT LYON WITH SILENCER
[2:10:02 PM] Emilia, Czar of Cute Girls: FUCK YOUUUUUUUU
[2:10:24 PM] Emilia, Czar of Cute Girls: and the best part
[2:10:30 PM] Emilia, Czar of Cute Girls: He was wielding Nosferatu
[2:10:33 PM] Emilia, Czar of Cute Girls: so free Fenrir tome
I'm pretty sure this is the best thing I've ever done in Fire Emblem and I'm not sure anything can top it.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:49 AM   #292
tau
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to tau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
I'm pretty sure this is the best thing I've ever done in Fire Emblem and I'm not sure anything can top it.
I got three empty levels on one map last time I played. I honestly wish I'd had the foresight to record that.
tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:30 PM   #293
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Picked up my copies. I originally wanted to go for the bundle edition, but god Nintendo limited the fuck out of it. I look forward more to Birthright, so I'm playing that second. Edgy kids like black, so it seems Conquest is the more popular one. I'm still playing Xenoverse, so it'll likely be a bit before I can actually play the game, but I did check out a few things.

Conquest opening menu "spoilers"
I was hoping for new classes, and holy fuck we got them....maybe. I can't tell if they're just Japanese adaptations of old classes or not, but in the idle class showcase, there was a bunch of neat looking classes.

The opening did a great job of getting me pumped up for the game though. I would be playing it right now if it wasn't for stupid work!
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:36 PM   #294
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

From what I've seen on Serenes, some of the classes down the Birthright route are just renames of usual classes, like Mage and Pegasus Knight. Nohr doesn't actually have many that aren't standard FE fare. Some of the new classes do look cool though, although having an Axe/Tome wielding class as the pure promote from what I think equates to Barbarian is either going to be awesome or terrible.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #295
Sneaze
Mrow?

I'm playing Birthright first as it just feels a more natural progression to me. Loving it so far.

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:45 PM   #296
phoopes
Double Dragon

Whenever we buy them, I'm playing Conquest and my roommate's playing Birthright. We're swapping after we beat them. Ballin' on a budget, yo
Old 02-19-2016, 04:48 PM   #297
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

yeah, if we get them in europe, I'll probably get birthright and then download the other routes.

Expectations:
Hoshido: Ok-ish.
Nohr: Will totally fucking ruin me because I am a scrubby scrub.
Revelations: Hard, but do-able.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:23 PM   #298
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

I'll start with Birthright to adjust to the changed/new mechanics, and because I've heard doing Conquest and Revelation afterwards makes more sense from the story. I'm mostly looking forward to Conquest out of all of the versions though, tbh.

As for expectations:
Birthright: Better than Awakening from a gameplay perspective, will probably be easy.
Conquest: Better than Birthright from a gameplay perspective, will be challenging but still doable.
Revelation: Worse than both, most likely. It'll be slightly harder than Birthright and might outdo Conquest due to the game relying on stat inflation and enemy density ala Awakening to raise difficulty instead of smart enemy placement. Or so say the expert players who've already played the JP versions.

Playing all on Normal/Classic to get a feel for the game before moving up.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:29 PM   #299
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Ok, can I have a collective 'rip Artur' pls?

-4 HP, -4 Mag, -1 Skl, -4 Lck, -1 Def. I am unsure as to how he is still alive/my highest levelled unit.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:45 PM   #300
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I said I would wait until I was done with Xenoverse, but I couldn't help myself. I think Awakening killed my first playthrough in Pokemon Y the same way. So....started on Conquest and: (Like minor early game Conquest spoilers)
It took me like 30 minutes to decide on what I want Corrine to be. It's kind of difficult to decide when I don't know how many competent classes I get later on.

The "You're MY brother!" harem is funny. Everyone wants a piece of onii-chan!

The maid class is pretty cool. I should make an entire army of maids.

I hope the father guy ends up not being evil. We need obviously evil people to not be evil.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games