UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 11-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #251
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
If you get all three games separately, it's $60.

If you buy the bundle, it's all three games, an art book, and a 3DS XL case for $80.

So yeah, I don't think the bundle is worth it.
For me it kind of would be cause I don't buy dlc. I also don't "buy" that these are really three seperate games either. If they were episodic releases like say Shining Force 3 or .hack I'd be alot more lenient here. But they're all coming at the same time? That stinks of something or maybe I'm being alil to harsh.
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:35 PM   #252
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

All three games are all distinctly different. You experience different stories, different gameplay elements, and different/exclusive characters in each route. Each one has roughly the same amount of content as Awakening. The shared content is mainly the first six chapters, paralogues, and DLC content. This isn't like Pokemon where the games are largely the same with minor differences. These games have major differences from each other.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:17 AM   #253
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
Still think its really shoddy how they're breaking it up like that.
Sacred Stones did the whole "two sides of the same story" thing on one cartridge ten years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:45 PM   #254
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Sacred Stones did the whole "two sides of the same story" thing on one cartridge ten years ago.
I'm sorry, but the travels of two twins doing the exact same thing but going in two different directions hardly counts as two different stories. Especially when you consider both routes have the exact same characters (and, in fact, the character's stories are modified explicitly to make this happen).

Like, I loved Sacred Stones and all, but you can't even call it two sides of the same story. It's just one story with the only difference being where you are as each event happens. In this case, at the very least you're literally choosing between two opposing sides of a war. Honestly normally I wouldn't be such a hardass about this, but you're literally insulting the craft of gamemaking by assuming that a team that went the extra mile and literally made multiple games worth of content should put it all on one card for nothing other than your own benefit. If you're so certain that there won't be enough difference between the games, go ahead and only play the one- You won't be missing out on anything afterall, right?
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:59 PM   #255
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
All three games are all distinctly different. You experience different stories, different gameplay elements, and different/exclusive characters in each route.
Different game engine? Art? 3 seperate OSTs? How distinct are we walking here? Same game, same skin, different dialogue?

btw from what I've read all "3" games will come on the same cart with the Special Edition. No downloads or extra carts lying around needed.

Spoiler: show
GS required $25 friggin bucks down for the reservation. These game(s) better be worth it! An the all 3 in-one-cart had better hold true!
Old 11-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #256
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Completely different plots, different characters, possibly different osts. Essentially its 3 FE games in 1.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:44 PM   #257
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

So today, I finished my first play through of Path of Radiance (FE9). Around a few weeks before playing it, I kinda spoiled myself on the game and its sequel with the Let's Play on LPArchive, so I went in with knowledge about the story, characters, etc. Played on Normal Mode since I wanted to get a feel for the game before going into Hard Mode. Thoughts in the spoiler box below. For the curious, here is my endgame team (sans a certain Assassin due to a lack of deployment slots, also includes Top 5 Units ranked by kill count.)

Spoiler: show
I liked this game quite a lot, seriously. It's now my favorite Fire Emblem, knocking FE7 down to second. The gameplay was really good, the Shove mechanic is the single greatest thing, and I am not sure how to survive without it. It added a lot of strategy, since positioning characters became even more important. The game also included the return of FE4-style Canto, which allows mounted units to attack, and use their remain movement squares to retreat. This means that the game had a pretty big bias towards mounted units, and I ended using quite a few of them. The Base screen was great too, it's a nice mix of the world map systems in FE8 and FE13, and the standard linear style of progression in standard FE games like 7. Forging weapons is a little overpowered since there's no bars like in FE13, so you can have max MT, max Hit, and low weight forges, although since you can only make one per chapter, it's not too bad. The game does give you a ton of resources though, so it's really not that hard, since you have lots of gold and BEXP to power level characters. The only real difficult moments were the chapter Mia joins in, two early game defense chapters, the two boat chapters, and the desert.

The cast of characters were all nicely well rounded, and pretty likable too (Makalov is an exception, but even then he's still hilarious). Even characters like Shinon who seem pretty unlikable, do have some redeeming characteristics, but the way its presented doesn't feel forced like in FE13 (IMO). The support system itself was well done, instead of having to grind supports by having units stand next to each other for 50 turns+ or spam Pair Up, implying deploying the units together for a few chapters (cba to recall the average amount). I feel like this should come back in future installments.

The presentation was well done, the OST was amazing, the portraits/character art all look nice, and the storyline was just fantastic. By no means is it award-winningly good, it's an FE game after all, but it's probably my favorite story from the games I've played. (Otherwise, if we take games I haven't played but know the story of, I'd say FE10 edges it out, and FE4 ties with FE9 for story) This was the first voice acted FE game...and it was, uh not great in that aspect. I guess Ike, Greil, the Black Knight, and Elincia sounded good enough, though. Another complaint I had were with just how long chapters feel. The battle animations feel like they drag on, and turning them off doesn't help a whole lot. But, in spite of the slowness, the battle animations looked decent, though mounts had a feeling of stiffness to them, save for wyverns. The character and armor designs looked great and practical, one thing I disliked about Awakening were the class designs, such as the dark mages who look too fanservicey IMO.

Overall, I'd say this is a must play in the series. If you want something different from the handheld games like FE7, or FE13, want an FE with a more unique story (or an FE game with an actually good story unlike FE13) I'd recommend this.

So TL;DR, FE9 is now my favorite Fire Emblem, it's an awesome must-play in the series, and I like Ike.

Last edited by Kuvario; 12-27-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:03 PM   #258
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Mount-centered FE sound interesting, although I hope it doesn't get completely abused by the enemies. If they had that in Awakening, the Valmese section of the campaign would have been an absolute nightmare. Especially on harder difficulties.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:04 PM   #259
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

The mounted mechanics are definitely abused by enemies. Those defense maps I mentioned had cavaliers attacking whatever unit I placed on a chokepoint, retreat, and have one of their buddies attack. Continue until all of them have moved. Its not easy to cheese either, since your units aren't beefy enough to let you kill off the boss to end the chapter early. However, it's worth mentioning that the game is pretty easy with the exception of those maps.

Although, I'd say Genealogy of the Holy War (FE4, SNES) is probably more dominated by mounts since the maps are massive as hell, like double to triple the size of standard maps in a normal FE. This means that units with mounts are more desirable if you want to finish maps faster and take advantage of their Canto (the ability to move after taking an action, any of them). It's somewhat ironic since the mounts you get for the most part are fairly mediocre (the starting cavaliers especially), and your foot units tend to have better combat (their main problem is getting to fight with six move compared to eight move of the cavaliers). There are some really good horse units though, usually foot units that promote to mounted classes. A unit you get in the first chapter is godly, probably the best unit for a major part of the game.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:43 AM   #260
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Plus like half the roster are mounts in the original Fire Emblems.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 01-19-2016, 04:01 PM   #261
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi

[VANESSA INTENSIFIES]
Old 01-19-2016, 08:40 PM   #262
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

I love the inevitable god unit you get in every game...
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 01-20-2016, 11:04 AM   #263
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Still waiting for mine in SS. Nobody's turned out decent so far. Then again, I've only just hit the path branch.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:54 AM   #264
Chalis
Activating Rampage

There are lots of 'em.

FE7 and 8 are just full of 'em in general.

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:51 PM   #265
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

People pettings been cut for western releases an my pre-orders been canned!

Unless a games setting is one in which people are pets to some other species I can't say I'd want people petting in any game really. My prob is that they're cutting a big chunk of content without in any way trying ta either salvage or replace it with something new. Nintendo's being cheapasses here an I'm not about ta shell out $85 for a half-assed localization. -.-
Old 01-26-2016, 09:14 PM   #266
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
The people petting was weird af anyway. Not upset it's gone.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:06 AM   #267
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

I'm glad that the creepy as fuck head petting is gone.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:36 PM   #268
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaGod View Post
I'm glad that the creepy as fuck head petting is gone.
What I find creepy is that people are happy ta see purely optional content gutted from a game o.o I never used online multiplayer in Street Fighter IV but never once did I think it'd be great if that were dropped from the game.

From what I've learned the "My Room" feature included:

- A character model viewer of the highest detailed versions of each characters model
- Character conversations (fluff or insight/development idk)
- A way to raise friendship values without grinding it in battles (can't be grinded in the Conquest(?) version of the game due to no optional/random battles)
- Dumb petting stuff
- ???

The current uncomfirmed(?) word is that its all been chopped. Instead of just removing the touch prompts its all just gone!
Old 01-27-2016, 07:39 PM   #269
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I'm with Lindz here. Removing the petting thing was okay (although I'm not very concerned about it) but removing the entire thing adding nothing to replace it? That's weird. Part of Fire Emblem is in the characters, and I don't like when stuff like that is just removed.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:40 PM   #270
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
Once info started coming out about the game's Japanese release it was obvious there were going to be drastic changes made to it. Some of this censorship I find too conservative (hoping some of the homoerotic elements remain) but other bits (not so subtle incest and strange petting stuff) I don't care at all about losing. I'll wait to hear about the official North American release before deciding to buy because I will not be paying full price for a partial game. Having the entirety of the "My Room" stuff cut out would factor into that.

EDIT: it's also not a super fair comparison to put "FE special waifu and husbando heavy petting sesh" against multiplayer mode for a fighter. They aren't equal in terms of content. :x

EDIT 2: further research indicates that no official announcement has been made about the petting removal and I haven't found anything regarding "My Room" getting the axe. We're probably getting worked up for nothing.

Last edited by Deebs; 01-27-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Deebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:30 PM   #271
phoopes
Double Dragon

tbh I wouldn't be surprised if some stuff did get removed, if some of the fan translations of dialogue are to be believed it might have been a borderline rated M game in the west
Old 01-28-2016, 12:22 AM   #272
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

It does kind of bug me that it's being removed, since it does kind of kill a part of the game. Yeah, it's creepy, and yeah, I doubt I'll ever use it, but the fact that it's there means I'm still getting the whole game. Besides, almost everyone playing the game is used to the perversion of Japanese stuffs! Well as GTAV says, it's not perversion, it's culture!

If they remove the amie, it won't be a huge deal to me. I'm mostly worried about dual audio. Awakening kind of spoiled me.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #273
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
What I find creepy is that people are happy ta see purely optional content gutted from a game o.o I never used online multiplayer in Street Fighter IV but never once did I think it'd be great if that were dropped from the game.

From what I've learned the "My Room" feature included:

- A character model viewer of the highest detailed versions of each characters model
- Character conversations (fluff or insight/development idk)
- A way to raise friendship values without grinding it in battles (can't be grinded in the Conquest(?) version of the game due to no optional/random battles)
- Dumb petting stuff
- ???

The current uncomfirmed(?) word is that its all been chopped. Instead of just removing the touch prompts its all just gone!
That isn't the same though. Online multiplayer in a fighting game is makes far more sense to put in than a weird petting mini-game in an SRPG that isn't known for this kind of stuff.

Where's your source on all those things being removed? Polygon has stated that the petting game was removed, but didn't mention anything else being taken out. I can see Treehouse's reasoning for the removal of the petting game, not only because of the actual content presented (moaning over someone petting your face ), but the fact that there's hundreds of voice clips associated with the feature alone in the original Japanese version. Getting the VAs to record that many clips would take far too long, which could've also contributed to having the feature axed.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:56 AM   #274
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If they had swapped out petting for dragging cookies/cakes over to the characters and having you fatten them up with sweets (metaphorically speaking), do you think that that would have worked for those who are creeped out by the petting but who like the content otherwise?

I haven't played a game in the series since the the GBA, but as an outsider observer, Fire Emblem's seemed to be moving more and more in the direction of a hybrid RPG + date simulator. Given this, I don't really understand all of the flak the devs are getting for including more date sim elements, however disturbing they might be to some veteran fans. With Fire Emblem's status as "the date sim of JRPGs," any protests against the further date sim-ification of the series seem rather pointless to me. Not saying you're not right to feel upset or whatnot. Especially those of you who have been fans since the SNES days and who were on board for the gameplay, story, and even the characters but who never signed up for the waifu-&-hazubando aspects. I'm just saying, your pleas are going to fall on deaf ears since (it seems clear to me that) the devs are further and further date sim-ifying the FE series. If these changes upset you, your only real means of recourse at this point are to quit buying the games. I think the games have enjoyed a renaissance of popularity for different reasons depending on the region. (In the West, because the games have actually gotten released for a change, starting with the early 2000s; and because of advertisement via Smash Bros. In Japan, the date simulator aspects are a larger contributor than they are over here since the two reasons I supplied for the West don't really apply to Japan. FE was always available and known about over there. "One of the big three," and all that.) I don't think the loss of Western sales would necessarily curtail the date sim-ification of the franchise, as I think all it'd do is ensure that FE returns to being a Japan-only RPG series. But there's no point in being miserable either. If you're upset by how date simmy Fire Emblem has become, hop over to another franchise that isn't so date simmy.

While I think you're correct about them wanting to cut out voice acting-intensive segments of the game for releases outside of Japan, I don't think it's acceptable. Yes, our voice actor talent pool is abysmal compared with Japan's. Yes, it costs money to hire on voice actors and have them record thousands of lines of dialogue. No, you aren't doing foreign fans any favors by reducing the amount of voice-acted character development in the international versions of the game. If a character talks in the Japanese version, I want to hear her talking in the same spots in the American version too. If you can't supply us with quality English voice actors, then the least you can do is to leave the Japanese audio in place and afford us subtitles. It costs you nothing to do this. The Japanese audio is already recorded. And the subtitles are identical to what we'd be reading anyway if you had only text and zero audio. But really, you need to be a positive force in the voice acting industry, applying pressure to an industry that badly lags behind its Japanese counterpart.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 12:54 PM   #275
Heather
Naga's Voice

What cuts are being made are being made for content ratings, long and short of it. The problem is that Anerica has developed this notion of Nintendo being exclusively Kidtendo and NOA has sadly gone along with it for far too long to break away. I mean, how many of you even caught on to Ace Attorney 5 being a thing if you weren't already a fan of the series? It had a small audience in the West to start with, and then the high detail left-as-they-were crime scenes shot the game up to M pretty fast-and they still averted a massive Precision F Strike. The fact remains that NOA hates getting M ratings because they're known so well for kid stuff-in America, older gamers flock towards X-Box and PlayStation, so games rated for them find limited success. They can get away with a T for Smash because it's Smash, but an M for a game with a relatively small market like Fire Emblem over some optional content that many won't even use? It's not worth it. Personally, I just hope they simply cut the lewd stuff out of it, because that's all they need to do, really. Wouldn't mind if the "petting" was removed entirely but I would hope that an adequate replacement came with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games