UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 11-19-2015, 12:50 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Happy Hour Delibird (WiFi Prize)

Bulbanews reports:

Quote:
The Festive Feud Wi-Fi tournament has been announced. All participants who register at least 3 wins or losses will receive a special Delibird that has the move Happy Hour and holds a Relic Gold.
What is Happy Hour, you ask? Happy Hour is a rare move which says that if it's used in a cash-awarding battle then the amount of money awarded at the end of that battle is doubled. It stacks with the Amulet Coin and O-Powers, so if before, say, you were able to get $172,000 out of Diantha at the Battle Chateau, now you'd be able to get $344,000 out of her. Something like that.

So not only is this a cool giveaway for Delibird fans, and not only is this a cool giveaway for giveaway fans, but it's a cool giveaway for breeders as well (DEM VITAMINS!), as well as anyone else who finds themselves in want of cash in ORAS.

So how do you get Happy Hour Delibird?

Quote:
Players may register between midnight UTC on Dec. 3 and 11:59 p.m. UTC on Dec. 10. The competition will be held from midnight on Dec. 11 until 11:59 p.m. UTC on Dec. 13. The rankings will be announced some time in December.
You register between 12/03 and 12/10. The tournament lasts only three short days -- 12/11 thru 12/13! -- so be sure you get your three requisite battles in during that short window. You don't even have to win! Even losing three times will still net you the prize, it seems.

Now of course it couldn't be this easy ... ^^; Things take a sad turn here:

Quote:
There will be 50,000 spots available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Participants may only use the Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire games. Pokémon transferred from early generation games cannot be used in this competition.
A, make sure you use a pentagon team. B, make sure you're attempting this on ORAS because ORAS only. :\ And C, only the first 50,000 applicants can get one! >_< The news article doesn't suggest separation based on regions around the world either, so if Pokémon Shuffle is anything to go by then I'd say you absolutely must sign in ASAP if you want a shot at Delibird. (IIRC I was already 89,000th place for a recent Shuffle giveaway on my first try, and I made my first try within the first 12 hours of the event AND Shuffle events rank North Americans only with other North Americans!)

Things get a bit more complicated still:

Quote:
This competition will use the Triple Battles format. Only Pokémon that are classified as red, white, or green in the Pokédex may be used. Participants must register their Pokémon in the Battle Box on the PC. All Pokémon will be set to level 50, which also includes Pokémon that are under level 50. All six Pokémon in the Battle Box will be used in every battle. Every battle will last a maximum of 20 minutes. Players will have 90 seconds to decide the order that the six Pokémon will be used in. They will have 60 seconds to switch Pokémon or use a move. Participants may battle 10 times a day for a maximum of 30 battles.
So you need to make sure that the team you're bringing not only has the Kalos pentagon on each member but that it also only consists of the official Dex colors of red, white, and green. So use Bulbapedia, Veekun, whatever you fancy and verify the colors of your team before the event. That way you can be certain you're not rejected at midnight (European time) when you try to sign in.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Most competitions have a limit and I have never had a problem applying near the end of the application deadlines and still getting in. That said I don't know by heart what other limits were so maybe this one is smaller (although I doubt it)
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotomotorz View Post
Most competitions have a limit and I have never had a problem applying near the end of the application deadlines and still getting in. That said I don't know by heart what other limits were so maybe this one is smaller (although I doubt it)
I placed 49,000th in the most recent Shuffle event. That's North America only. And Shuffle's much less popular (I think!) than the main series games are.

Hopefully you are right. We will see!
Old 11-26-2015, 07:21 PM   #4
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

The main series is popular but it takes more effort and commitment to enter online competitions which is why they generally have lower turnout.
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:12 AM   #5
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I placed 49,000th in the most recent Shuffle event. That's North America only. And Shuffle's much less popular (I think!) than the main series games are.

Hopefully you are right. We will see!
I have no issues getting into the top tier (stone + mega speed up) on every competition. >.>

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:27 AM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Oh, it's not about the performance! I'm just sharing my low placement as a primary source of what sort of numbers we're dealing with here. But since you asked:
  • Shuffle is one of those games that rewards early adopters who stuck with it, payers, and nobody else. I was a very early adopter, but I quit playing after a few weeks. Only started back up again recently. I've found that I've been left in the dust: everyone else has maxed out Mega Garchomps and Dialgas while I'm sat over here with my Level 5s and still haven't gotten past the Mega Gengar stage.
  • I've only tried each event once. When I see I place so low, I figure it's {the above} and call it quits. Could probably at least score one rank higher if I tried.
  • I don't put any money into Shuffle.
  • I only play it like once (five rounds) a day, sometimes twice.
  • I still have shitty megas like Mega Sableye and Mega Mawile to contend with. No Mega Lucario, no Mega Charizard, etc.
  • Shuffle's a vicious cycle. The rich keep getting richer while the poor keep getting poorer. The latest challenges are balanced with the prosperous in mind. You can't make stages that the best megas will one-shot. So you end up having to make stages that weak teams can't even complete.
  • I have gotten a grand total of like twenty bonus hearts. Very few StreetPass benefits.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:31 AM   #7
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Oh, it's not about the performance! I'm just sharing my low placement as a primary source of what sort of numbers we're dealing with here. But since you asked:
  • Shuffle is one of those games that rewards early adopters who stuck with it, payers, and nobody else. I was a very early adopter, but I quit playing after a few weeks. Only started back up again recently. I've found that I've been left in the dust: everyone else has maxed out Mega Garchomps and Dialgas while I'm sat over here with my Level 5s and still haven't gotten past the Mega Gengar stage.
  • I've only tried each event once. When I see I place so low, I figure it's {the above} and call it quits. Could probably at least score one rank higher if I tried.
  • I don't put any money into Shuffle.
  • I only play it like once (five rounds) a day, sometimes twice.
  • I still have shitty megas like Mega Sableye and Mega Mawile to contend with. No Mega Lucario, no Mega Charizard, etc.
  • Shuffle's a vicious cycle. The rich keep getting richer while the poor keep getting poorer. The latest challenges are balanced with the prosperous in mind. You can't make stages that the best megas will one-shot. So you end up having to make stages that weak teams can't even complete.
  • I have gotten a grand total of like twenty bonus hearts. Very few StreetPass benefits.
It's true, early players have an advantage. But Mega Gengar is phenomenal so if you have him you're off to a good start. Lucario is good too, hopefully he comes up again. Other megas (Garchomp, Charizard, etc), I never personally use.

Also one day I homebrewed my 3ds and gave myself a ton of money and mega speed ups so that probably helps too.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #8
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Alright! I registered! I don't expect to win a single match -- not with my current "I just beat Wallace" Omega Ruby story mode team, anyway! ^^; -- but that doesn't matter! All I have to do is battle with an eligible team of red, white, and green Pokémon three times and the Happy Hour Delibird is mine!

Here are some helpful pages I used to register. They may help you out too if you're unfamiliar with the procedure.

PGL guide to registering for online competitions
PGL announcement about the Festive Feud
Online Competitions sign-up page
Festive Feud sign-up page (direct link) (might be specifically for Masters Division; not sure, so don't use this link except as a last resort! ^^; Use the one above and navigate!)

Before you can do any of this, you will have to register your ORAS game card with your PGL account. I had not done this yet, so I had to do that this morning too.

Before you can do that, you'll need a PGL account. I already had one from Pokémon XY, but if you never bothered to create one back then then you will need to create one now.

It's more difficult than it needs to be, but a lot easier than it might look.

Oh! Quick edit. You don't need to have your team ready yet. You actually can't register your Battle Box early. It says right here -- "You can't register your Battle Box until the competition begins. Keep training your Pokémon to be ready for the competition!" So don't worry if you don't have the red, white, and green Pokémon assembled yet. You still have about a week to do so. All you need to do right now is sign up (Step 1) and then download the Digital Player ID to your card that confirms you're in the tournament (Step 2).

Last edited by Talon87; 12-03-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I guess no one else cared to enter (or talk about entering). orz

... That's okay! :') 'Cause I'll be here to talk to you about my misadventures over the next 48 hours with this short-lived tournament! :'D

Team building: There were a few hiccups here. Notably ...

I almost missed the entire first day of the tournament. >_< None of my online friends signed on, I don't have Pokémon Bank (and opted against getting it for this tournament because of Bank's no-items policy), and my one IRL friend who owns a 3DS happened to be at the gym. So I did most of the trading via GTS #heartattack and then Kaisa showed up to help me trade over my mega, Mega Charizard Y.

Ineligible creatures! Cinccino is gray, not white. Thought she'd count as white. =\ Oh well. Gray makes good sense too, can't argue there. Staraptor is brown, what the fuck. How on Earth is Staraptor brown. I can buy that he's not going to be counted as white, but for God's sake at least count him as gray or black! Even red (which covers for orange) would make more sense than brown.

Because of those two creature hiccups, and because I didn't breed anyone new for this tournament (didn't have time! ), I had to pull from who I had on hand. And that meant ...
  • Talonflame (Doubles) @ Sitrus Berry
  • Charizard (Doubles) @ Charizardite Y
  • Rotom-W (Doubles) @ Leftovers
  • Togekiss (Singles) @ Assault Vest
  • Jynx (Singles) @ Life Orb
  • Gardevoir (Singles) @ Expert Belt
It's not the worst team in the world, but it's sure as heck not a winning team either. Five special attackers and only one physical attacker. And he's usually too busy setting up Tailwind to attack anyway!

Running out of time: I didn't register my team until around 6:35pm local, 11:35pm Greenwich time. That means I only got two battles in before the chimes struck 7 and the tournament rolled over into Day 2. Still! Better some battles than no battles. And to get the Delibird, the rules said all you had to do was play three times total. And I managed that already, so I'm happy.

Battles so far: I've had four wins so far, one loss, and zero ties. (It went W L W W W.) The last two wins were exceedingly close; what I lacked in power (Game 4) or team advantage (Game 5) I made up for in sheer battling experience. I think a lot of players have very little exposure to Triple Battles, whereas I've given it enough shakes to rank in the top 15 on Smogon's Random Triples ladder in the past. That's not to say that I'm great at it! Just that it's a very underplayed format and yet one I just so happen to have given some of my time and attention.

I learned the hard way that you can't mega evolve any Pokémon until you've gotten the Mega Bracelet in Story Mode. Whoops! ^^; orz That's the main reason I put the DS down after Game No.5. Even though I know the odds of it happening are nearly 0%, my thinking was, "Don't keep battling until you can get the bangle in Story Mode." If it's coming up soon, then fantastic. But I doubt that greatly. (I'm just past Mauville, still pre-Latios and pre-Mt. Chimney.) I'll probably just play a few more games, get frustrated with losses to Politoed teams I could've easily won, and put the DS down until after the tournament's ended.

Though speaking of easy wins ...

(click for full size)

This was what I saw at the start of Game 3. ^^; I'd just suffered my first defeat, my W:L score now a 1:1, and the game was telling me I was rated 1499. (Default is 1500, so I'd fallen into the negatives because of the loss. orz) I see this team and wonder, "Is it something like F.E.A.R.? Is it a dangerous gimmick team?" Nope: 'twas just a white knight gamer trying to give little kids a free win to boost their spirits, I reckon.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:08 AM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Short Shorter post from bed tonight. I didn't manage to play more ORAS, so still no mega evolution for poor Charizard. :\ ^^; Thankfully, I won all three games I played today! :o Currently 7 W 1 L 0 T. I'll take it! ^^;

I will probably play three more games tomorrow (just out of paranoia about the prize conditions) and then call it quits. I'm just in this one for the Delibird. Still, though! I look forward to entering a future official tournament more seriously.

One of my opponents tonight ran a team of Sheer Cold and Fissure users. I was surprised! He managed to successfully OHKO three of my six guys this way. I just focused on taking out the OHKO users first and then wheeled around to clean up the supporters second.

Another opponent had a team which potentially walled mine very well. Tyrantrum, Krookodile, Bisharp, Torterra ... But thanks to our respective tactics, I managed to win that one 5-0!
Old 12-13-2015, 08:20 PM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Alright, unless I'm much mistaken tonight was the last night of the tournament and it should officially be over now! Yaaaaay to all who participated!

I ended up with a modest final score of 10 wins, 2 losses, and 0 ties. My second loss ended up being one of the most awesome moments of the tournament for me: even if it proves to have been a false alarm, for a good ten minutes there I was breathless, wondering: "Am I playing Aaron Zheng right now!? :O"

I've looked for the username "Pumped Aaron" already, and I did find this Showdown account with not very impressive scores and a conspicuous absence of anything VGC. While this points away from Pumped Aaron being anything more than a big fan of Mr. Aaron "Cybertron" Zheng's, everything else about our game pointed to it being him very much so.

P.Aaron used a team of Mega Tyranitar, Reuniclus, Amoongus, Golurk, Throh, and Talonflame. (Of these six, I only saw the first four listed.) The way he used them was as follows:
Reuniclus: a Trick Room setter! Trick Room teams bone Tailwind teams pretty hard, and that's pretty much all my team had going for it this entire tournament: "Talonflame! Please, use Tailwind! :'D" So right from the get go I knew I'd be in trouble if the rest of his Pokémon were used to their fullest. Reuniclus also sported Shadow Ball, which he used to attack Gardevoir and other Pokémon.

Tyranitar: the damage-dealing centerpiece of his team. He sported Rock Slide, which is highly unorthodox amongst Singles-only players but is core amongst Doubles and VGC players. If Trick Room didn't already, Rock Slide's inclusion shows that P.Aaron definitely has experience in non-Singles formats.

Amoongus: Not only is this a VGC staple, but P.Aaron's Amoongus had exactly what you'd expect of a Doubles or Triples Amoongus. Protect and Rage Powder were the only two moves I got to see, but yeah: no Singles scrub is going to put Rage Powder on their Pokémon.

Golurk: Another heavy hitter who benefits greatly from Trick Room. Golurk one-hit KOed Jynx, who has the physical defense of a wet paper bag, with one of his hefty Shadow Punches.
Turn 1, P.Aaron ordered Reuniclus to use Trick Room while the other two used Protect to scout and freely enter the Trick Room unharmed.

Turn 2, he ordered Amoongus to use Rage Powder (which sucked in Talonflame's Brave Bird and led to Amoongus's exit from the battle); he ordered Tyranitar to use Rock Slide (which OHKO'd Talonflame and somewhat damaged Rotom-Wash and Togekiss); and he ordered Reuniclus to {I don't remember; possibly Shadow Ball the Rotom-Wash}.

Turn 3, he ordered Reuniclus to Shadow Ball the Gardevoir I sent out to replace Talonflame; he ordered Tyranitar to use another Rock Slide, KOing Togekiss; and he ordered Golurk to {I don't remember}.

One or two turns later, the match was over, 0-5. I know the presented decisions aren't much to go off of. Indeed, in hindsight, I begin to question myself if this even constitutes remote evidence that my opponent might be someone renowned throughout the VGC community. All I can say is, I saw his high(ish) score, I saw his team, I saw that his team had proper Doubles moves and was used competently, and I felt, "Wow: I might be playing the Aaron Zheng right now. " Even if I wasn't, and I probably wasn't ^^; , it made for a very thrilling experience. Thank you, Pumped Aaron.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Alright! Sooo ... anyone know anything about how we got about getting this Delibird? :o I'm assuming you just attempt to battle once more and this time it tells you you can't, sorry, tournament's over ... but wait! Have a prize! But if I have to jump through some extra special hoops and you get to it before I do, let me know.

Similarly, tell me if you find out if Delibird has a locked nature, locked IVs, etc. The more locked it is, the less I'll have to bother with soft resetting. (Assuming Pokémon Center pickup. If auto-deposit to PC instead, and a one-time deposit just like Bank Celebi, then never mind I'll just take what I can get. -.-)
Old 02-22-2016, 12:41 AM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Just a friendly reminder to anyone else who might have participated in the Festive Feud tournament: the deadline for collecting your Happy Hour Delibird is February 29, one week from today! Make sure to collect your prize if you haven't already.

The process is pretty easy. When you log in to the PGL website, it should notify you that you have been awarded a prize code for Delibird. You follow the simple instructions provided by the PGL to enter that code into your game and voilŕ: Happy Hour Delibird is yours!

I've input my code already, but the actual getting of the Delibird I will probably save for later. I'd like to get an ideal nature and the two most relevant IVs as 31s, and if Delibird's 100% randomized then those are really awful odds. (Nature x one 31 alone would be 15 x 31 at best, 30 x 31 at worst, so ... odds of 1 in 450 to 1 in 900. Yeesh. @_@) Hopefully he comes with automatic 31s in two or more slots to make the soft resetting less of a nightmare.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:18 PM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I just found out how I ranked in the Festive Feud.

There were 14,175 participants. And out of those, I apparently ranked ...

Spoiler: show
860th. :o I had 1,615 points. The guy in 1st place had 1,807 points. I have no easy way of finding out how many points the person in last place had.

Now obviously, it's not like all 14,175 participants actually tried. I'm sure many of them just entered three battles, auto-forfeit, qualified for their free Delibird, and called it a day. But if you figure that even half the players (~7,000) actually gave it a casual try, then hey: at least I placed 860th out of all of them. Kinda neat. Especially seeing as I didn't even try that hard to make a good team and really just worked with what I had already previously bred.

The usage rankings for the red, white, and green Pokémon eligible in the Festive Feud are as follows:
  1. Talonflame
  2. Gardevoir
  3. Tyranitar
  4. Charizard
  5. Scizor
  6. Togekiss
  7. Meowstic-M
  8. Rotom-W
  9. Politoed
  10. Bisharp
  11. Amoongus
  12. Scrafty
Of these, I had No.1, No.2, No.4, No.6, and No.8 on my hastily-thrown-together team.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #14
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

How was Rotom-W allowed? It's none of those colors.
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #15
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolteonjak View Post
How was Rotom-W allowed? It's none of those colors.
A lot of orange Pokémon are officially red instead of orange, and Rotom is one of those Pokémon. It's pretty silly, I agree. Especially since there's only one color allowed per creature. Cinccino is gray despite being almost equal parts gray and white. Jynx is red because of her dress but not yellow from her blonde hair nor purple from her skin tone. IIRC Staraptor is orange from his beak or talons even though he's 70% dark purplish-brown-gray, 20% white, and only 10% all his other colors.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:01 PM   #16
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

I guess I need to go on a breeding spree. I'm never ready for these things. Then again, I'd only enter for the prizes.
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:08 PM   #17
Heather
Naga's Voice

Quote:
A lot of orange Pokémon are officially red instead of orange, and Rotom is one of those Pokémon. It's pretty silly, I agree. Especially since there's only one color allowed per creature. Cinccino is gray despite being almost equal parts gray and white. Jynx is red because of her dress but not yellow from her blonde hair nor purple from her skin tone. IIRC Staraptor is orange from his beak or talons even though he's 70% dark purplish-brown-gray, 20% white, and only 10% all his other colors.
OBJECTION! Staraptor is actually...prepare to face palm...brown. At least iirc, but I'm 99% sure. It's still something ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:21 PM   #18
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles Fowl II View Post
OBJECTION! Staraptor is actually...prepare to face palm...brown. At least iirc, but I'm 99% sure. It's still something ridiculous.
You're right, it is Brown ... which is pretty ridiculous seeing as Staraptor doesn't have any brown on it anywhere. The case can be made, and clearly Game Freak is making it, that the feathers on Staraptor's body are a "gray shade of brown" ... but yeesh, I'm not even sure I agree with that, let alone agree that it's smarter to call it "Brown" than to just call it "Gray."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolteonjak View Post
I guess I need to go on a breeding spree. I'm never ready for these things. Then again, I'd only enter for the prizes.
That's how I felt with the Kanto Classic. :') I had over 40 bred, EV-trained, ideal moveset'ed Pokémon raised by the time I discovered news of the Kanto Classic, yet only two of those were Gen 1 Pokémon.

I'll update my trade list thread in the coming days or weeks. When I do, if you see any creatures on the list that you need for breeding projects of your own, let me know and we'll see what we can arrange.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON