UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 07-28-2014, 10:16 PM   #2776
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Double post, but this is right up our alley. And highly thread appropriate!

Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #2777
Talon87
時の彼方へ

O_o

You can find more here. The Marge Simpson one, the PS2 console design one, the Dr. Wily's breasts one, and the Star Fox legs one ... O_o
Old 08-02-2014, 12:43 PM   #2778
Mercutio
Banned

Ok so I'm generally happy to sit on the bandwagon that remake culture is driving Hollywood gradually to its death but I'll totally accept it in the case of The Jungle Book because holy crap have you seen who is in it?
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:09 PM   #2779
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
That looks beautiful.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #2780
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Jason Scott Lee one was already pretty good imo. (I enjoy it more than the original, personally.) While this one boasts an all-star cast, I'm not too enamored with the choices. Christopher Walken as King Louie? That automatically makes me think of one of those terrible 1990s knock-off Jungle Book films, the kind that aired on network television as a much-hyped TV event but were generally so, so bad. Then you have Scarlett Johansen as Kaa. (Uhh ...) Ben Kingsley is awesome, but is he really Bagheera? Probably the thing that most worries me though is that mention of combining live action with animation. I don't think I'd mind it as much if it were live action combined with CGI, but if it's going to look like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, then I think that only really works well when you have a ... well, a story like Who Framed Roger Rabbit that is already predicated around combining the human and cartoon worlds. Can you imagine if Toy Story had had Pixar CG toys mixed with live child actors? It would've looked weird. Here's hoping this new Jungle Book won't suffer the same fate.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #2781
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Talon, I'm thinking that we're talking Life of Pi CG here, or Babe CG. While I doubt there'll be actual bears/snakes, we're more than capable of a.) animating an animal in a lifelike fashion and b.) animating the animal's mouth to make the appearance of speech.

I think it'll probably be animated animals with live action setting and human characters, and it'll be decent enough for immersion.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #2782
Mercutio
Banned

Hero or Villain?

I voted hero. What an absolute legend.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #2783
Chalis
Activating Rampage

Hero, I voted. Eat that, kid! :P

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #2784
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Hero or Villain?

Spiteful, but if I had to pick I'd still probably go with "hero." Especially if the kid really was as rude as the news story suggests. This reminds me of a similar story involving GameStop and Halo 4:

(click for full size)

Granted, it's one of 4chan's infamous green text stories, so it's in all likelihoods fake at worst, heavily embellished at best. But it's quite similar. The biggest difference, remarked on by many in the comments section, is the fact that this mom seemed to be the more apologetic, mousey type. So whereas Burger King Guy got revenge against both the annoying kid and his rude mother, GameStop Guy more than likely made the mom suffer horribly that night as well as inconvenienced her the next morning. You could still say that that's on her for poor parenting, but still.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #2785
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Hero or Villain?

Why isn't antihero an option? ;;

Well, in the absence of it, the scale tips to 'hero' by a hilarious margin. Spiteful, yeah, but he tried to solve the issue beforehand by nicer means and he had it thrown back in his face. Good show, sir, good show.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #2786
phoopes
Double Dragon

#ChickenFriesKilledRobinWilliams
Old 08-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #2787
Talon87
時の彼方へ

There are children 14 years old today ... who were born in 2000. An obvious statement on the one hand, a terrifying one on the other. D:
Old 08-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #2788
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

The fact that kids born in 2000 will be legally able to drink (here) in 2018 is terrifying.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:49 PM   #2789
Mercutio
Banned

The fact that many of them are already having sex is probably worse.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #2790
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Some men currently in their 20's will have wives who were born in the year 2000 or later.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #2791
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Some men currently in their 20's will have wives who were born in the year 2000 or later.
Not too bothered by "will have"s or "will be"s. I'm bothered by the fact that over half of today's 14-year olds and all of today's 15+-year olds were born in the year 2000. It just blows my mind how much time has flown by. I feel like 2003 was only five to six years ago, even though I recognize that my life's experiences in the year 2003 feel like they were about a decade ago.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:08 PM   #2792
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

>all of today's 15+-year olds

Um. Might be a slight typo there, Talon.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:39 PM   #2793
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
>all of today's 15+-year olds

Um. Might be a slight typo there, Talon.
I wanted to convey the idea "All of today's people who are 15 years old or older." So if that's 15+ and "-year olds" combined, then I opted to go with the awkwardly-written "15+-year olds." Alternatively I could've gone with "15+ -year olds" or "15+year olds," but they each look every bit as stupid. Meh.

Oh whoops. The typo is elsewhere. I should have said "in or after the year 2000," not just "in the year 2000" for that second part.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #2794
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Not too bothered by "will have"s or "will be"s. I'm bothered by the fact that over half of today's 14-year olds and all of today's 15+-year olds were born in the year 2000. It just blows my mind how much time has flown by. I feel like 2003 was only five to six years ago, even though I recognize that my life's experiences in the year 2003 feel like they were about a decade ago.
It's relative. I personally find that 2010 being four years ago is far more distant than 2003 was. In 2010, I remember feeling 2000 (starting middle school) was indeed ten years ago, but 2005 (starting college) didn't feel five years ago. When you sometimes bring up Hanasaku Iroha, K-ON! or ToraDora, I have to correct myself that those shows are not 2-3 years old, but 4-6 years ago. That last one is the big shocker: ToraDora aired in late 2008, I mean holy fudge.

My attitude toward why: while people are in school, they are absorbing at least twice as much information per day as they are after they graduate. So, when looking retrospectively, post-graduation information gets condensed into a single year rather even though it was actually the sum experience of 2-3 years. The flip side to this is while people might remember more broad info from their school days, they recall more recent events with sharper detail (ironically, I can't, I recall stuff from a decade ago better than three weeks ago).
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #2795
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
There are children 14 years old today ... who were born in 2000. An obvious statement on the one hand, a terrifying one on the other. D:
Give me a couple months
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:08 PM   #2796
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
It's relative. I personally find that 2010 being four years ago is far more distant than 2003 was. In 2010, I remember feeling 2000 (starting middle school) was indeed ten years ago, but 2005 (starting college) didn't feel five years ago. When you sometimes bring up Hanasaku Iroha, K-ON! or ToraDora, I have to correct myself that those shows are not 2-3 years old, but 4-6 years ago. That last one is the big shocker: ToraDora aired in late 2008, I mean holy fudge.

My attitude toward why: while people are in school, they are absorbing at least twice as much information per day as they are after they graduate. So, when looking retrospectively, post-graduation information gets condensed into a single year rather even though it was actually the sum experience of 2-3 years. The flip side to this is while people might remember more broad info from their school days, they recall more recent events with sharper detail (ironically, I can't, I recall stuff from a decade ago better than three weeks ago).
I still can't believe that it's been longer now since Haruhi S2 aired than it had been at the time of S2's airing since S1 had aired. (2006 to 2009 vs. 2009 to 2014.) It *does* feel like it's been about three years, at least, but not five. @_@ And even if part of that is that we didn't get to see the movie until December 2010 ... that was still 2010.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #2797
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Funny thing about Haruhi: I was less than a year removed from high school when it came out, and we (you, me, BBB and BPK) were but five years removed from the '90s where Haruhi was set, so the anime was quite sunset tinted with nostalgia when all of us first went online in our rickety Internet Explorers running Windows 95/98.

Now I watch it, remember how we were all marveling at the Day of Sagittarius as textbook '90s back in 2006, and with the ability to compartmentalize those old memories fool myself into thinking I'm watching something from the '80s. I actually have to press hard to remember that the level of technology in Haruhi was something I personally experienced, and not something from before I was born!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #2798
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah I'm more weirded out that the early 00s are absolutely ages away than that the 90s is older than it used to be. It's weird that Britney Spears was so long ago.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #2799
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

http://you.regettingold.com/
Old 08-14-2014, 03:30 AM   #2800
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Word Crimes - Weird Al Yankovic. For anyone who's ever been caught in the dilemma between how catchy the tune of Blurred Lines is and how fundamentally awful it is.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc