UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 06-18-2014, 03:21 PM   #26
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah Spain is truly dull. But now they're going out so that sucks for them. Blows open the cup though.

Jeri you're meant to be rooting for the English >.<
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #27
Lanturn
Just keep swimming x2

Wait Ronaldo can't play?

Also 20 minutes or so left and I think Spain going out is close to a guaranteed soon. But anything can happen. Then I kinda want Spain to get out for unknown reasons.

[Current WF Adventure]
(lol totally should update these links)
Lanturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #28
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Say what you will about the Spanish national team but I feel bad for the people of Spain that their team is about to exit the World Cup like this. The whole world's on fire, sure, but Spain's a right deal worse off than most European nations. When you tell the people time and time again, "Your team is amazing this year. You're predicted by everyone to make it to the final four and are many's top pick for champion," and then when you pull the rug out from under them with two losses in the preliminary round of the tournament, it's got to be demoralizing. It's like, "We have no work, no money, nothing at all right now but our football. If we don't even have football, what do we have left? " Maybe not quite that bad, but still. :\ You know what I mean. I think Spain as a nation could've done with a World Cup victory (or at least a World Cup showing in the final four) more than most attending nations this year.

It'll be the same thing if Brazil loses. I may want the team to lose (for a number of reasons), but I'll feel sorry for the populace if and when the Brazilian team does exit.

At the end of the day, though, may the best team win. Nations shouldn't be winning the World Cup on the basis of their populace's emotional needs for a victory. Nations should be winning the World Cup on the basis of their skill at soccer.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #29
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So, I just saw this fan on television at the end of the Spain-Chile game. ^^; Something tells me he's going to become a meme.

In other minor news, I think I spied that one of the Spanish players had 狼 (wolf) tattooed on the left of his neck? It was only on screen for a brief moment so I couldn't be sure, but yeah.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #30
Mercutio
Banned

Meh they're defending European champions still and they got beaten twice largely because of the approach they took. Football wise, they had it coming. As for the real world implications, Spain is fine relative to the majority of Europe East of Italy.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #31
Red Panda
head head bitch

Go England!
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #32
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Tuned in at around 49m. Currently 59m. England's defense has been pretty atrocious but they're matched by a blundering Uruguay offense which has had two dream opportunities to score and has utterly fumbled them.

Not to be outdone, Wayne Rooney took the 28th shot of his World Cup career -- only the eighth on goal -- and whiffed it. Could have, should have tied the game up 1-1 right there. But alas, no. Like he's playing with his little sister,, he kicks the ball right into the goalie. It would be nice for Rooney if he could score even one goal at the World Cup before his football career is over.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #33
Talon87
時の彼方へ

At the turn of the 75th minute, congratulations, Wayne.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #34
deh74
Noted homosexual

I know that this is mean but I kind of want England to lose just to see how the British UPNers react.

PASBL
The Whistling Sound of Impending Doom.

deh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:42 PM   #35
deh74
Noted homosexual

Oh damn! Uruguay scored another goal! England looks to be done now!

PASBL

Old 06-19-2014, 04:03 PM   #36
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by deh74 View Post
I know that this is mean but I kind of want England to lose just to see how the British UPNers react.
We accept that we're crap and don't much care. I'm supporting the Netherlands (including in the highly unlikely event of an England - Netherlands match).
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #37
deh74
Noted homosexual

Well at least Connor had a fun reaction...

PASBL

Old 06-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #38
Selena
Aroma Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
We accept that we're crap and don't much care. I'm supporting the Netherlands (including in the highly unlikely event of an England - Netherlands match).
Why thank you, any particular reason or just because?

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #39
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
My reaction is: "Meh, still another year to go until the proper World Cup starts."
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #40
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Honestly, it was stupid of you to wish for an England loss if what you wanted were reactions out of the Britpack. ^^; England is used to losing in the World Cup. They are consistently outplayed by Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and Brazil; and on average I would not favor their odds against the Danes, the Dutch, the Mexicans, the Uruguayans, the Chileans, or the Argentinians. Like, it's not as though England sucks at football. But I don't think they typically make it past the round of 8. So if you really wanted a reaction out of the Britpack, what you should've wished for was for England to make it all the way to the championship game. Then you'd have had reactions!

Oh well. Of Italy, Uruguay, and Costa Rica, I favor any of the three of their chances of exiting the preliminaries over England's chances. England needs a very specific situation to occur in order to advance to the next round and it's not likely to happen:
  • in the England vs. Costa Rica game, England must win and they must win a very impressive win
  • in the Italy vs. Costa Rica game, Costa Rica must lose
  • in the Italy vs. Uruguay game, Uruguay must lose
England's only hope for advancing is if the score at the end of the round is 9 points Italy, 3 points England, 3 points Costa Rica, and 3 points Uruguay (which you can have if the things I just described above happen); and then they need the factors that go into determining tiebreakers amongst equally-scoring nations to be in England's favor. That is the only way England can make it out alive at this point. If Costa Rica beats Italy, England goes home, 100% guaranteed.

And to be honest, I'd like to see Costa Rica advance. They've already beaten Uruguay, historically one of the world's better teams. If they can beat Italy, how amazing that would be for their national team.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:12 AM   #41
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena View Post
Why thank you, any particular reason or just because?
They're an interesting team to watch - they play a fun style and are good enough that they can beat top teams without being so good that it's expected of them. Besides I never really understood why it's normal for clubs to have supporters who've never even been to the city they play in (particularly for big clubs) but for national sides you seem required to support your own. Strikes me as silly and inconsistent. England are dull to watch, plus the attitude of this country is ridiculous - it's always like "yeah we can do it", but then the moment we come up against any real opposition we lose. I don't mind us being crap (the team I support at club level barely avoided being relegated back to amateur status this season) but England is boring, crap and arrogant and I don't really like supporting that.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:13 AM   #42
Salamencia
UPN's very own Houdini

Send a message via Skype™ to Salamencia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
Besides I never really understood why it's normal for clubs to have supporters who've never even been to the city they play in (particularly for big clubs) but for national sides you seem required to support your own. Strikes me as silly and inconsistent.
1. The clubs are so far removed from where they're "based" that their name is just that, a name. Many players and managers have no real history in the town/city they play for (excluding Liverpool which seems to produce about 90% of English players for some reason) and they switch alliances on a year to year basis. More true of bigger clubs, but so is your argument so I'll stick with it. Frankly, the idea of "supporting" a club is a little crazy to me when the club is going to change completely every 5 years or so. England will always be England, and virtually every player will consider themselves "English" (technicalities can allow extraordinary cases though; see: Adnan Januzaj-England debacle).

2. Some people live in small towns whose local club(s) is semi-pro/amateur and that might turn them off. These people might want to support a bigger team.

Though I do agree with the basic sentiment. Go Croatia!

WF

Yes, I am online. No, I am not ASBing currently. WF takes priority, as it tends to take up less of my time.
Salamencia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #43
deh74
Noted homosexual

so I found a picture that seems to imply that Costa Rica fucked Italy up.

Is this true?

PASBL

Old 06-20-2014, 02:49 PM   #44
phoopes
Double Dragon

Costa Rica won 1-0 earlier today. They advance and England is eliminated.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #45
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I am running out of teams to support.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #46
phoopes
Double Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
I am running out of teams to support.
USA! Alternatively, Netherlands!
Old 06-20-2014, 03:12 PM   #47
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

US and Japan(?) are my two holdouts.

Edit: NEVERMIND WHATEVER *throws fit*

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:15 PM   #48
deh74
Noted homosexual

Aha this is glorious! Now all that needs to happen is for Uruguay to beat Italy.

You guys should come hang out with me and support Germany!

PASBL

Old 06-20-2014, 03:40 PM   #49
Red Panda
head head bitch

Something something France finally ballsed up something something
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:14 AM   #50
Mercutio
Banned

Come on Argentina! Daddy needs a Mega Stone (with which to club Suarez to death).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc