UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Gym Battles

Old 07-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #1
Nythe
Boulder Badge

UPN PASBL - Gym Match: Concept vs. Kindrindra

After passing my ref test, Concept offered me the option of being thrown in at the deep end, by asking me to ref his gym match. After some consideration, I decided to give it a go. Letís see how it goes. But enough about me, letís focus on the match. Concept is the Water Gym Leader and his latest challenger is Kindrindra. Hopefully, they need no introduction, because I canít offer any. Iím pretty new to the world of PASBL, so I donít know much about them.

Quote:
Concept (GL) vs Kindrindra (c)
4 vs 4
Singles
Slapstick
Switch=Gym
48 Hour DQ
The Cascadium
Equiall at Challengers Level
If I checked correctly, that makes this match Equiall 3. Iíll be using and 2x/3x scale for type effectiveness and 4/6 health/energy. Luckily for me, the arena is very simple for a gym:

Quote:
An indoor arena with no windows, standard arena dimensions - as high as it is wide. Filled half to the top with water. Artificial lighting. Occupying the centre, about a third the length and width of the total arena, is a mesa made of clay and stone - mostly clay towards the outside, getting more and more rocky as you go deeper into it. The flat top is about six inches below the surface of the water. High up on the walls at each end of the arena is a box for the trainer to stand and survey the battlefield - the wall beneath the leaders box is adorned with a mural of the Blaine sprite from RBY, whilst the challenger has the Youngster sprite from RBY in the same place.
The description doesnít say anything about a similar box for the ref, so I brought along some water wings, just in case.

Anyway, letís see both squads, starting with Conceptís.

PASBL stuff
Nythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Alright, good luck Kin. Nythe, thanks for reffing. And don't sweat it too much - you test was good and I'm not a complete ass. Dave's first ever reffing was for me too and he turned out alright.

Bringing my own Breakwater Badge alongside the Tree Star Badge (attached to Lapras via squad submissions).

Breakwater Badge
Global Badge
Depicting a rocky breakwater with a mighty wave looming behind it, this badge is given out to those who defeat Concept in his water gym.
Badge Effect: High Tide
Once per battle in switch = KO, the wielder may switch a pokemon as if it were switch = OK (obviously unlike BP, VS and UT, this doesn't pass any stat changes). This is treated exactly as it would be in switch=OK, with the opponent getting a re-order and such. In switch = OK, the wielder may (once per battle) pass on stat changes using a conventional switch as if using one of the switching moves. This is still treated as a regular switch would be (with the opponent getting a re-order). In either case it costs good energy (which, like the energy used for baton pass, cannot be recovered in the pokeball) and even if the switch is somehow prevented, the badge effect cannot be used again that match.

Level 3:

Noah the Seaking (Male)
Seaking (Water): Seaking are excellent swimmers, but are helpless on land. However, in the water, they can swim against incredibly powerful currents, and are much more likely to get out of attacks like Whirlpool.
Signature Move: Ark (Water)
Only usable in water. Prince exerts considerable energy to infuse the water with his spirit. In turn, the water grants any water types in it and any that enter it in the future a decent special defence boost. Pokemon are granted this boost upon entry into the water, after which it fades like a normal boost.

Turner the Kingler (Male)
Kingler: (Water) Kingler can swim, but prefers to walk along the bottom of the water instead of swim in it. Kingler uses its pincers based on the attack: attacks that are quicker and more precise use its smaller claw, while the most powerful attacks take advantage of its powerful claw, which can crush almost anything. Krabby and Kingler can easily move side to side, but have difficulty walking forwards and backwards.
No sig.

Odyssey the Lapras (Female)
Lapras: (Water/Ice) Lapras is slow and ungainly on land, but is incredibly fast and agile in water, particularly on top. As a carrier Pokemon, Lapras can carry up to 1.5 times its weight and not have its speed affected. Lapras’ shell is hard, and any attacks there are reduced to 75% damage.
Odyssey is the newest member of my squad, a loveable water type. She was mildy annoyed that she's confined to the waves, and had decided to take it out on less aquatic familiar pokemon.
She's a Lapras. She can't get around on land and is very annoyed about it, so has channeled that resentment into creating a group of water types dedicated to taking the land from us pathetic airbreathers.
I make sure she keeps this quiet from the rest of the team.

Signature Move: Deluge (Water)
Lapras spreads significant water energy across the field, most of which turns into a two foot deep layer of water held in place by water energy. This sudden deluge is held in place by the water energy for four rounds before draining away (speed of draining dependant on arena, from basically instantly in things like sand to basically never in enclosed spaces).
Badge Effect: Fossil Fortitude (Tree Star Badge)
The attached Pokemon is treated as though it is one level higher than it actually is--the Pokemon will remain at its actual level, but the badge bestows it with extra power. The actual benefit is up to the ref's scale (extra health/energy, increased attack/defense power) but there must be some benefit given. This badge is attached to one Pokemon in signature submissions but can be changed to a different Pokemon at will. This effect does not trigger the disobedience clause should another uplevel be used in the same battle, as it does not actually raise the level of the Pokemon.

Hercule the Poliwhirl (Male)
Poliwhirl (Water): Poliwhirl are capable of decent movement on land, though they still prefer the water. All of the Poliwag family secrete a sort of slime when out of the water, which makes them more slippery and harder to grab.
Despite his brother Christiaan constantly urging Hercule to use the "little grey cells", Hercule prefers to punch his way through his problems. So when he had problems with faster and fresher foes he came up with an ... "interesting" solution. Involving MOAR PUNCHING!

Signature Move: Gut Buster (Fighting)
Hercule punches the opponent in a soft and vulnerable area. This requires a moment of concentration and significant energy, and does mild damage. However, it also winds the opponent, which has the effect of making them feel like they've been using energy at a high rate with all the associated drawbacks (tiredness, inefficient energy use and what have you) for a short period (up to a round). Refs should modify the effectiveness of this move based on various factors using their common sense. While the move can be used as much as he likes, the additional effect will only work once per opponent as pokemon quickly adapt to this type of thing.

Old Rosie the Quagsire (Female)
Quagsire: (Water/Ground) Quagsire move at a decent clip on land, and a respectable pace in the water, though they prefer shallow, slow water to deep, fast currents. Wooper and Quagsire are coated with a slimy substance, which makes them harder to grab.
My Quagsire is excessively annoying. I only keep her around because she's useful.
Signature Move: Terra Cannon (Ground)
Seeking a more effective and purer way to harness her ground energy, Old Rosie has perfected Terra Cannon. It is a beam of Ground energy, that can be charged to full charge (fire blast level), mid charge (thunderbolt level), or quick charge (1/2 thunderbolt level).

Alexander the Wartortle (Male)
Wartortle (Water): The most militant of the Squirtle family, Wartortle are the middle of the line in speed and agility. Like all of the Squirtle family, they are vulnerable if knocked on their backs.
Alexander used to be the chief battler of a water gym leader, twenty years ago. His battle strategy consisted of "ignore incoming attacks, approach opponent, beat until broken". This worked pretty well. He's been in semi retirement for almost two decades, but has come out of it again as a favour to me. He helped a lot during my tenure as Mozz's gym trainer (being one of the few pokemon that seemed to like Mozz rules), and now is an invaluble addition to my gym squad.

Special Training: Grounded (Ground)
Alexander fought a lot electric types during his time in the old water gym. In combination with his long term exposure to the Mozz badge during my time under Mozz (oh, that just sounds wrong), he's gained an odd effect - his ground type energy pool is twice the size of a regular Blastoise's. In exchange, when sent out he must pick two types that would be eligible for Mozz badgification (ie that he has between one and four offensive moves of - eligible types are steel, psychic, bug, dragon and rock). He loses all type energy of these types for the duration of the match. This drawback cannot be negated or lessened in any way, regardless of the effects of badges/moves/etc.

Last edited by Concept; 07-30-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Concept, good sir, I see that you have brought a sword to a sword fight!

Damminations, this means I have no excuses for losing, do I?
Better not make a fool of myself, then.

My Carefully Handpicked Team(tm)
Quote:
Lily: Female Lileep
(No Sig)

Jet: Male Floatzel
Jet is a hot shot of epic proportions, and a daredevil to boot. He finds nothing funner than flinging himself from a cliff and rocketing towards the ground at stupid speeds before twisting around and narrowly avoiding certain death with a sudden Aqua Jet. He's set on getting me to break out of my shell, whatever that means, and if he can have a great time while doing it, so be it! Or, at least, that's what he says. Unlike me, he actually uses exclamation marks. However, I do respect him- he has this outspoken way of just being himself which I admire. His blatant confidence is something not many can lay claim to. He once met a Blitzle who shared his name, and the two became pretty good friends. Unlike him, the Blitzle was actually rather reluctant to showcase what he could do- kinda like me, though I don't like to admit it. They began to train together frequently, and BuiJet only became more outspoken, though he managed to awaken a sense of pride within BliJet. However, er, some other things happened due to the training. BuiJet jumps off cliffs and is a water-type. BliJet is an electric-type. When I tell you exactly what resulted from the training, I think the picture will become clear.
Signature Training: PEIRCE THE HEAVENS! (?!?!)
Jet has learned Wild Charge and Drill Rush. However, each can only be used once per battle, due to the methods in which he learned to use them.

Clocks: Genderless Bronzong (Uplevel)
I actually found Clocks embedded in a wall deep inside some ruins. Noting where he was situated, his name seemed pretty obvious. I'm just going to overlook the fact I thought he was an actual clock until I acidentally bumped him. Him/her. It. Whatever. I don't know how long he had lived in there, but... I don't think he had ever seen the sun before. He was absolutely entralled by it. Oftentimes I would walk outside to see him just staring at it, slowly drifting upwards, before bobbing back down as he reached his flight ceiling. It was a little disconcerting to watch, but as he was an inorganic being, I was a little less concerned with the possibility of addiction. Besides, he couldn't exactly sear his eyes out or anything. That was, until the day I walked outside and was unable to find him. We searched everywhere until I finally managed to notice the faint shadow where he usually floated. I turned to the sky and let out a surprised gasp as I glimpsed him floating high above, seemingly in a state of excitement. It seemed that he had managed to surpass his limitations, somehow. He's still addicted to light, though.
Signature Training: To Touch the Sky (Flying)
Clocks now has an extremely high flight ceiling, a tad lower than your average bird pokemon. In addition, he moves somewhat faster in the air than a typical Bronzor/Bronzong.

Amelia 'Princess' Roshhale: Female Pikachu
(No Sig)

Aster: Female Pachirisu
(No Sig)

Sundance: Male Cherrim
(No Sig)

Hmm. Far more typespammy than I had planned. I need more waters.

"Jet, I guess you're set to start us off. Been a while since you let loose, eh?"
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Turner. Rock tomb, swords dance.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

"Jet, Short Term Agility to rush to right beside him, then smack him with Wild Charge when he starts dancing."
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
Nythe
Boulder Badge

Round 1: Testing the Waters

Both trainers confidently reach for their pokeballs, to send out their first pokemon. Kin chooses to start with Jet, his Floatzel whose sig could give him the edge against Conceptís water types. Conceptís first Pokemon is Turner the Kingler, a member of one of the more asymmetrical species. For those of you more interested in characteristics of those Pokemon than in the match ahead of us, hereís some info to satisfy your curiosity:

Quote:
Floatzel (Water): Floatzel uses its tails similar to a propeller. This allows it to control its speed in the water and make sharp turns with great ease. By using a move, it can also hover over the ground slightly by rapidly spinning its tails, but each round its sustained costs good energy. The sac around its neck can be used as a flotation device, making it hard to force underwater.

Kingler (Water): Kingler can swim, but prefers to walk along the bottom of the water instead of swim in it. Kingler uses its pincers based on the attack: attacks that are quicker and more precise use its smaller claw, while the most powerful attacks take advantage of its powerful claw, which can crush almost anything. Krabby and Kingler can easily move side to side, but have difficulty walking forwards and backwards.
As both Pokemon take their place on opposite sides of the mesa and intently look at each other, assessing the strength of their opponent, their trainers start shouting orders. That can only mean the match is about to start.

Turner opens the match by raising some rocks from the mesa, trying to entomb Jet. Jet reacts with a burst of speed to move away from the targeted area with his increased agility. However, running through water isnít the easiest thing to do, so Jet is still clipped by the emerging rocks. While Jet is running towards him, Turner starts spinning around and seems to be pretending his pincers are swords, which can only mean that this strange dance is intended to increase his attack power. Jet sees that as a perfect opportunity to showcase what separates him from your run-of-the-mill Floatzel and charges some electricity as he makes it to the Kingler, before crashing as wildly as he can into the turning Turner. The hit knocks Turner off balance, interrupting his spinning and bringing his dance to a forced end. The attack also caused some pain to Jet; recklessly slamming into something almost twice your weight is bound to have some effect and enveloping yourself with electricity while standing in water, even for a short time, isnít the brightest idea either. They are pretty close to the edge of the mesa, with little distance between them.

Typespammy damage took Turner into his second quarter of health. Energy use was quite low. About a third of rock is gone. Has a slight attack boost.

Jet didnít lose much health and is about halfway through his first quarter. Energy was OK.

Kin.

PASBL stuff
Old 07-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I'm fairly certain that a streamlined pokemon like Floazel isn't going to be suffering the same kind of slowness through water that a human would, but w/e.

"Fantastic start, Jet! But take a break for now. Princess, you're up next. Start up right close to him and hammer him with Volt Tackle. Twice."

Those might be the least creative orders I've done since returning.

FUCK THAT SHIT ELECTRIC IS NOT A CREATIVE COLOUR.

In predictable, sleep deprived Kin!Orders...

"Okay, Jet, nvm the old plan. Since we're close, let's go melee on his ass. Start with Bulk Up, then leap into the air and come down on his dominant pincer (the really big one) with a Brick Break!"
Quote:

Last edited by Kindrindra; 07-31-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Damn, I'm good at ordering.
Quote:
Old 08-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Seize both arms with a pair of simultaneous vicegrips, one with each claw. Hold him still.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
Nythe
Boulder Badge

Round 2: I want to break free

Seeing heís currently in a better condition, Jet tries bragging about his physical strength by flexing his muscles, as he bulks up. Turner, however is completely unimpressed by Jetís display of muscles and want to check, if those muscles are just for show or can Jet also make use of them in battle. He proceeds to grab both of Jetís arms with Vicegrip, one with each pincer and grins at the Floatzel, challenging him to break free. Grimacing with pain in both of his arms, Jet tries just that and moves around vigorously, but even his increased strength doesnít help much against much heavier Kingler. The struggle does take some toll on their energy, but thatís the most Jet can achieve, so the round ends with Turner still clamping Jetís arms and holding him in place.

Turner didnít take any damage and his energy use was OK.

Jet fell into his second quarter of health and is now pretty much tied with Turner in that aspect. Energy use was minimal. He has a Bulk Up boost, but moves relying on his arms could suffer from the pain.

Concept.

PASBL stuff
Old 08-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Use your newfound leverage and your strength to smash him into the ground below you, and drop on him with body slam.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

"Ugh, is inducing PSTD involving having my pokemon crushed a thing, now?

Ha, it doesn't matter. If there's a wall in front of us, we'll just drill right through it! Let's take advantage of our position to spit a Toxic into his eyes. If that distracts him enough for you to break free, crush his dominant pincer into the ground with Brick Break. If not, try to push him off you with a Secret Power."
Quote:

Last edited by Kindrindra; 08-13-2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: grammar!check
Old 08-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #13
Nythe
Boulder Badge

Round 3: Take the weight

Clearly in a dominant position, Turner wants to have some fun with Jet, not unlike a small child after receiving a new toy. In a display of strength he lifts Jet into the air, so he can test his durability by smashing him into the ground. Realising he doesnít have the raw power to break free, Jet plays it dirty and spits into Turnerís face. Judging by the colour and the amount of material he produces from his mouth, Jet should really see a doctor about it, because it seems far from natural and even toxic. Although aimed into Turnerís eyes, due to Kinglerís anatomy some of the purple liquid also ends up in Turners mouth. With a his eyes, mouth and throat feeling like they are on fire, Turner lets go of Jet midway through his attack causing Jet to hit the ground much gentler then Turner intended, the shallow water cushioning his fall even further.

With Turner still coughing after tasting the poisonous substance and his vision obscured by it, Jet has enough time to get in another attack. He chops down on Turnerís dominant pincer using a technique he learned by watching martial artists break bricks with their bare hands, which seems to be quite effective on Turnerís hardest body part. The hit reminds Turner heís in a battle, so he stops bothering with getting the awful taste out of his mouth and prepares to make Jet pay for his disgusting behaviour. He slams hard into Jet, knocking him to the ground and pinning him down under his body. As the round concludes, Jet is once again being held still by his much heavier opponent.

Turner is almost at the halfway mark of his health, with Jet a bit below it. Jet has a small lead in energy terms, but has already used up about a half of fighting energy. Turner would appreciate a one-mover and his small attack boost is beginning to fade. Toxic will kick in during the next round.

Kin.

PASBL stuff
Old 08-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #14
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

"Fantastic, Jet! Just what I like to see!

Nothing much to do here but try to blast him off you with Secret Power. If the first one gets him off of you, Dive away off the platform and into the pool as quickly as you can- Otherwise, unleash your Secret Power once more!"
Quote:

Last edited by Kindrindra; 08-17-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #15
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Wait, need to clarify something;

>Turner is almost at the halfway mark of his health, with Jet a bit below it.

Jet is a bit below Turner, or Jet is a bit below the halfway mark?

Last edited by Concept; 08-15-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #16
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Oh, right, Nythe, you mentioned that my attack boost is beginning to fade, but not my defense boost. Do you ref defensive buffs as fading slower?
Quote:
Old 08-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #17
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

That's my attack boost, not yours.

Last edited by Concept; 08-15-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #18
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

HURRRRR
DURRRR
HURRDURR

I'VE STILL GOT THE DERPIN' TOUCH!
Quote:
Old 08-16-2013, 05:23 AM   #19
Nythe
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
Jet is a bit below Turner, or Jet is a bit below the halfway mark?
Below the halfway mark.

PASBL stuff
Old 08-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #20
Nythe
Boulder Badge

Concept, I know you already posted your orders, but as you edited that post to ask me something, you need to do it again.

PASBL stuff
Old 08-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #21
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

If he wants to explode energy in his own face who're we to stop him eh Turner? Protect through the first power, stay on him. Seize any part you can reach in a vicegrip to hold him still, then hit him with a guillotine.

Three.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #22
Nythe
Boulder Badge

Round 4: I want to break free

Once again, Jet has to free himself from Turnerís attempts to completely immobilise him. Due to the situation he found himself in, options are severely limited, so he relies on an attack that doesnít require any movement to execute, secretly hoping its power suffice to knock Turner off. Turner has different plans and calls upon a protective shield. Because thereís no space between the two Pokemon, Turner takes some damage before his defence rebounds the rest of the aura away, with most of the deflected energy hitting Jet. While Turner winces slightly after the hit, he manages to keep his opponent pinned to the mesa.

Undeterred, Jet again reaches into his secret energy reserves to power another attack. Once more, he releases the well-known aura, but this time his move is successful and as Turnerís body twitches with pain, Jet gets just enough time and space to slip away. He doesnít make it far though, as Turner immediately grabs him by the elbow with Vicegrip ensuring he remains close enough for another close-range attack. As he holds Jetís elbow with the smaller pincer, he puts his larger one just next to it, around his upper arm, the part of Jetís body that is the most stationary. Despite Jetís resistance, Turner manages to execute Guillotine almost perfectly, inflicting a big amount of pain to his opponent. Turnerís tired grin turns into a frown as he feels the effects of toxins running through his veins.

Turner gained a big health lead, being midway through his third quarter, while Jet is in danger of fainting, if he gets hit by a strong move. This came at a price, though, with Jet now enjoying a nice energy lead. Jetís energy use wasnít too bad, while Turner used a big amount of energy and needs a one-mover.

Concept.

PASBL stuff
Old 08-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #23
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Wait, since when does Protect reflect back a portion of the attack? I was under the impression that the shield simply absorbed it.

Protip: I don't know what I'm talking about and almost any explanation will do.
Quote:
Old 08-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #24
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Protect doesn't. But we were literally touching, and energy attacks explode on impact. Both secret powers should, (I think, may be wrong on this) have done largely the same to both of us. Was the basis of my orders. Protect was just because I didn't much fancy taking both myself.

EDIT the first: Second guessing myself, asked Jeri for his opinion. My interpretation was wrong apparently, but I think it mostly tallies with your reffing Nythe (y'see this is why I gave you a good grade);

Quote:
I saw the thing you're referring to (your GL match with Kin, right?) and I'm a little skeptical of that interpretation. Protect has been shown to pretty much absorb any energy it comes in contact with in the first place so that argument might be moot.

That said, of course, I could see a situation in which there might be some direct contact recoil. Using any sort of special attack in close quarters can lead to some splashback. It's sort of like holding a hose against a wall and turning it on; some of its bound to spray back at you.
Is Turner still holding onto Jet?

Last edited by Concept; 08-26-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #25
Nythe
Boulder Badge

Turner still holds Jet's elbow with his smaller pincer, but as he's exhausted the grip isn't tight.

>Protect

I checked the anime to see whether it merely absorbs the attack od repels it. It was just as Jeri said, a bit of splashback which only becomes relevant in extreme cases such as this one.

PASBL stuff

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > PASBL > Gym Battles