UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 06-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #5151
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Cutting off the rest of the forum for the next five months. Would ask that people posting here please not bring up Gen 6 spoilers, avatars, signatures, etc. Might just say "fuck it all" and sit UPN out for the next five months. Will decide two weeks from now once the Spring 2013 anime season wraps up. I'll be able to wrap up thoughts on Hataraku Maou-sama, Aku no Hana, and Suisei no Gargantia that way, and I don't really care about not posting here on Shingeki no Kyojin. No one else ever posts in the HxH thread aside from one manga-spoilered guy who has to watch what he says, this limiting his ability to discuss, and Yuki, and I can thus always take that discussion to Skype. Not to mention she'll be out of the loop until August anyway.

Siiiiiiigh ... such amazing news ... that I wanted to discover via the game, not via Zora fucking Jolteon. -_-;
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #5152
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Shingeki no Kyojin:

Came across this Shingeki no Kyojin fanart today. (Warning: naughty but fully clothed.)

Spoiler: show

I think Mcsweeney will appreciate that.

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo:

I went to Imgur to upload that Shingeki no Kyojin picture and accidentally rediscovered an old Sakurasou upload I'd done, intended to share, and then decided against sharing. But meh, the artwork is really nice so here you go. I'll take that I came upon it again as a sign that I'm meant to share it with you lot.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #5153
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
No one else ever posts in the HxH thread aside from one manga-spoilered guy who has to watch what he says, this limiting his ability to discuss, and Yuki, and I can thus always take that discussion to Skype. Not to mention she'll be out of the loop until August anyway.
Dang, who told you? Did I tell you myself? I promised myself I wouldn't reveal that but I'll be darned if I can't remember.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #5154
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Dang, who told you? Did I tell you myself? I promised myself I wouldn't reveal that but I'll be darned if I can't remember.
I was talking about Fallen Icarus and Quicksolver, actually. (Kinda combined the two together. Whoops.) You haven't posted in forever. :p So ... I guess you just let the cat out of the bag yourself. ^^; Shame on you though, reading ahead in Hunter x Hunter. ;p You really fucked yourself out of fun speculative convos with Yuki and me on that one! But it's not all doom and gloom: you can keep Fallen Icarus company (potentially; he may be farther ahead than you, he may be farther behind than you), and the two of you could discuss manga stuff. *shrug*
Old 06-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #5155
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
I was talking about Fallen Icarus and Quicksolver, actually. (Kinda combined the two together. Whoops.) You haven't posted in forever. :p So ... I guess you just let the cat out of the bag yourself. ^^; Shame on you though, reading ahead in Hunter x Hunter. ;p You really fucked yourself out of fun speculative convos with Yuki and me on that one! But it's not all doom and gloom: you can keep Fallen Icarus company (potentially; he may be farther ahead than you, he may be farther behind than you), and the two of you could discuss manga stuff. *shrug*
I had a feeling (like, I was about to call it in that post) that you were referring to someone else, but your perception is really good and there was a certain timeliness because of this -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
I think such really hammers home the need for an anime like Gargantia which isn't based on any pre-existing material. Jumping ahead to the manga does nothing but insulate oneself from the crowd discussion, because unless the manga is finished, it's going to lag on the latest chapter too. In SnK's case, I am not so enamoured with it to be in any hurry to alleviate the mysteries of the story, which are relatively tame compared to a typical visual novel writer's webs. In Gargantia's case, it's impossible to read ahead because the anime itself is the limiting animation source.

I did the "jump ahead in the manga" thing for a series last year and regretted it. I only did it for AnH because AnH was so godawful to look at. Definitely not squandering a high potential anime season by seeking out the source material spoilers (for several shows).
I've still been following the HxH anime from time to time, but you can tell my passion has been gutted since before Yorknew, and that's because I caught up to the manga in January 2012.

I haven't read a chapter since, and and a big reason was because I was so disappointed/annoyed at the Chimera Ant arc, which is the current one. I mean, the arc is scary, but it pissed me off so much, and was so sappy, and so ugly artwise because Togashi oscillated from near-death to barely awake when drawing it...it was a pretty bad experience over-all.

But yeah, you don't have to reaffirm the dangers of reading ahead in the manga. My whole attitude now of delayed payoff derives exclusively from that experience.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #5156
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Oh my god Becky, look at that butt!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #5157
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

It's that time again! This season's ending, and a new chart for the next season is out. Here's the chart for the next anime season.

For things that interest me...

Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou - Eeeeeh, while this seems to be the typical overly hyperactive comedy, I'll still check it out. Will I laugh or get pissed off? I'll see!

New Rosen Maiden - I enjoyed the first show well enough. That's enough to convince me to watch the new series.

Ungodly Long Title - I enjoyed the manga, so I'll see how the anime fares.

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya - I have no expectations, but I'll watch it anyway. It's about Illya, so it should atleast be cute?
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #5158
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Summer 2013

High Expectations / Really Looking Forward To:
Dangan Ronpa
Fate/Zero Café
Genshiken: Nidaime
Minami-ke OAV #3
Rozen Maiden 2013

Looks Interesting But No Expectations:
Ano Hana movie
Fantasista Doll
Gin no Saji a.k.a. Silver Spoon
Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku
Servant x Service
Suisei no Gargantia OAV

Low Expectations But Will Check It Out Anyway Just In Case:
Chuunibyou bonus episode
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Ilya
Free!
Recorder to Randoseru Mi

Of the Summer 2013 offerings, you could pretty much just give me these three and I would be set:
  • Dangan Ronpa
  • Genshiken: Nidaime
  • Rozen Maiden 2013
Rozen Maiden is by far the one I am most excited for. Been trying to get people to watch the TV series and/or read the manga for years. I even made a thread just to try and get Yuki to start it up! Assuming I'm around for it, I'd love to create the thread for this. I don't think anyone here's as big a fan of the franchise as I am, so ... I will pout if someone else makes the thread first. Ż3Ż But hey, if I'm not here, then you guys can feel free to either make it yourselves or else recycle the one I made from before. (The reason for making a new thread is pretty straightforward: the old one leads off with a lot of posts pertinent to the original anime, and while they're not wrong, one would probably prefer to have the manga-faithful anime's characters and grading segregated from the original TV adaptation's.

Genshiken: Nidaime is exciting for two simple reasons: I love Genshiken and I fell horribly behind with the sequel's manga. (I read the first three or four chapters and then quit keeping up with the scanlation scene. I really don't read regular manga much! ^^; ) I had been meaning to catch up with it for several years now, but the anime will save me the trouble. That stated, I vastly preferred the manga to both the first and second seasons of Genshiken's original anime, so maybe I should read the manga first instead and then enjoy the anime second ...

Dangan Ronpa wouldn't have even made my list if not for all of the non-Anime forum kiddos who are going nuts about it in their Dangan Ronpa thread. They were all begging me to watch it saying they thought a) it was really great and b) that I personally would really love it. I think I've developed a reputation around these parts for being someone who just loves him a battle royale series. ¬_¬; Hey, it's not my fault that I happened to really like FSN and Rozen Maiden or that I've also watched Mirai Nikki, BTOOOM!, and a handful of other battle royale series. But yeah, the kids seem excited about this one and so I'm excited too. Let's just hope this isn't Mirai Nikki or Shingeki no Kyojin all over again ...

Everything else I listed above is just icing on the cake. A Minami-ke OAV bundled with manga volume 11? Nice. (And maybe it'll make up for the somewhat disappointing season finale of the recently-finished Tadaima. ^^; ) Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Ilya? It doesn't look like something I'd normally want to watch but it's a parody of one of my all-time favorite characters from the NasuVerse so yeah I'm on board at least for Episode 01. Fate/Zero Café? Suisei no Gargantia bonus episode? Ano Hana movie? All lovely icing on the cake.

And I'd like to make a special note about Fantasista Doll. Is it just me, or did they probably plan this deliberately? Coinciding the airing of this anime with the anime reboot of Rozen Maiden? Two battle royale doll series in one season? Seems like Summer 2013 will be remembered as the Summer of the Battle Pinocchios for many a fan.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #5159
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Of the Summer 2013 offerings, you could pretty much just give me these three and I would be set:
  • Dangan Ronpa
  • Genshiken: Nidaime
  • Rozen Maiden 2013
Dangan Ronpa wouldn't have even made my list if not for all of the non-Anime forum kiddos who are going nuts about it in their Dangan Ronpa thread. They were all begging me to watch it saying they thought a) it was really great and b) that I personally would really love it. I think I've developed a reputation around these parts for being someone who just loves him a battle royale series. ¬_¬; Hey, it's not my fault that I happened to really like FSN and Rozen Maiden or that I've also watched Mirai Nikki, BTOOOM!, and a handful of other battle royale series. But yeah, the kids seem excited about this one and so I'm excited too. Let's just hope this isn't Mirai Nikki or Shingeki no Kyojin all over again ...
At age 21 I have to question your need to refer to Dangan Ronpa fans on UPN as a whole as kids, kiddos etc. And I'd like to think myself at least to be involved with the Anime forum. I'm just genuinely confused here.
kaisap112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #5160
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
At age 21 I have to question your need to refer to Dangan Ronpa fans on UPN as a whole as kids, kiddos etc. And I'd like to think myself at least to be involved with the Anime forum. I'm just genuinely confused here.
You're not lumped in with them at all. Your confusion stems from thinking that when I wrote about children who liked Dangan Ronpa that what I really meant was anyone who likes Dangan Ronpa. No, that's not what I meant. ^_^; I meant what I wrote, which was about the kids, specifically, who had gotten all excited recommending the game to me. Copygoo. Ethereal. Others. All the kids who contacted me via PM or via the thread saying "Hey, you should really play this game!"

You're not the only adult who I know here who's enjoyed Dangan Ronpa. Kuno enjoyed it, for starters, and he's about my age. He's no kid! But I was talking about the under-20s, specifically, when I mentioned the Dangan Ronpa kid crew.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #5161
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Guess it's a good thing I'm going home soon. =/ There's really almost nothing from the summer offerings that piques my interest. Stuff that's familiar like the Monogatari series and Recorder to Randoseru I'll watch eventually, but I'm in no hurry. As for new stuff... Aside from Dangan Ronpa and maybe the Ilya show, there's very little else I'm looking forward to. (The fact I already read the Let's Play of DR means I can just sit back and watch the speculation too.) Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi's premise probably sounds most intriguing. Gin no Saiji: Silver Spoon might be entertaining and relaxing. Uh... Fantasista Doll looks kinda cute. That's about it. Maybe I'll check out other stuff like Servant x Service, Brothers Complex, or Watashi ga Motenai blah blah blah if I'm bored and have time at the library. ...Or Free! if I'm desperate.

Predicting now that Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou will be the next Dansai Bunri. Might watch it just for laughs.

As for special episodes/OVAs, again I'm in no rush. There's the Ano Hana film, though from the PV it looks to mostly be a recap. Seen advertisements for Hal as well, might watch it at some point. Also wondering what Fate/Zero Café is about.

Speaking of movies, I watched Wolf Children (by the same guy who did TGWLTT and Summer Wars) after seeing this AMV the other day. Even though I spoiled myself on the plot and the whole Twilight-werewolf aspect put me off, I still cried like a bitch.

Edit- Well Talon has convinced me to watch the new Rozen Maiden. Didn't realize it was a reboot. ^^;

Also sad there's no sign of the Kageoru Days animé this summer... The novels are still ongoing so it probably won't be until next year, but I'm so impatient. =< Can't stop myself from reading so many spoilers on the Wiki. *shot* At least we know what the show will be called: "Mekaku City Actors". ...Really? Jin mixed and matched the most unappealing combo of words from the titles IMO. ^^; "Kagerou Days" would've been fine. Although...

Based on recent revelations, that name might actually be rather appropriate. =3=

Maybe there'll be some more news on August 15th. *crosses fingers*

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 06-13-2013 at 08:04 PM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #5162
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Since it came up in a conversation elsewhere, I'll just note here:

The Rozen Maiden anime coming out next month is a manga-faithful reboot taking us back to Chapter 001 of the manga. It is not a third season of the original anime. You can think of it like the relationship between Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. In fact, it's pretty much exactly that, judging from the trailer. Character designs which look closer to Peach Pit's manga drawings, Jun's choice with the letter he receives asking him whether he will wind or not wind, all of the sisters being present, et cetera, all seem to indicate that this is taking us back to the very beginning.

So yeah. If you've never watched or read Rozen Maiden before and feel like trying it out, this summer's reboot would be the perfect opportunity.

Going to be a very, very weird experience for me though. ^_^; For the first time in I don't even remember how long, I'll be the person in the community who has read ahead and knows pretty much everything that's to come. I look forward to seeing what you guys predict about the series' various mysteries. Not to mention who your favorite doll is. I know mine ...

She was only my namesake on UPN for a good year or so.

Last edited by Talon87; 06-13-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #5163
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Lovely Complex
I'm finally done with this. I enjoyed reading this, but I just liked it for the comedy and the characters. The romance is pretty stale and formulaic. I mean some of the mini stories were nice, but otherwise the romance is meh. Also the main romance moved too slowly. After it was finally settled, the manga followed the same formula of "a person likes the main boy, then someone likes the main girl". Despite my complaining, it was still very funny. There weren't many times I wasn't laughing when reading this manga. The artist puts some really great expressions and quirks on her characters. Actually I grew to really like the characters in this. The two main characters are likeable, and most of the other characters are just as likeable. Overall, I don't think I can give this any more than a 7. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but as a serious story, it's pretty meh.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #5164
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

So, in anticipation of Monogatari: Season 2 I'm rewatching Nisemonogatari, and I've forgotten how much the first episode destroys my sides

Fuck I can't believe how funny this opening episode was. The entire 12 minute dialogue between Hachikuji and Araragi was so funny and witty and stupid and I loved it. Especially the Pie in the Face innuendo. I've always loved how the series just seems to make fun of itself, and also I love that they break the fourth wall with absolutely no hesitation by talking about the ending themes. Also the scene where they portray the conversation with road signs strikes me as genius.

I always feel really awkward saying that I love the Monogatari series because its so fucking weird, but I love it too much. A show that revolves around talking shit, but that particular shit is the wittiest, insightful and funniest shit you'll ever hear/read. Can't wait for the new series!
Old 06-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #5165
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Hey guys, look, it's Sakurasou!

Yes, I realize he has one cat more than in the show. Maybe he adopted a new one! ;o
Old 06-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #5166
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I've picked up an anime called Valvrave the Liberator, which is the other high-budget anime of the season besides Shingeki no Kyojin and Gargantia. It's a Sunrise show, so I was expecting something like Geass, but given a recent development it's probably a bit less modest than I thought.

The first episode...is really dumb. There's been a host of stupid anime this season, from Love-A-Live! to...uh, I forget. Most of the other stuff I was watching was pretty silly.

Valvrave is a typical super robot show. Guy's would-be girlfriend dies before his eyes, so he jumps in a giant robot that appears in front of him and slaughters all the killers. High school hijinks with giant mecha splashed in, oh boy oh boy.

The ending is pretty cool. Minami Kuribayashi and Masaaki Endoh sing it as a duet.

Gonna watch this until "that scene" at least. Could be hard even with the pleasing eye-candy.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #5167
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I've picked up an anime called Valvrave the Liberator, which is the other high-budget anime of the season besides Shingeki no Kyojin and Gargantia. It's a Sunrise show, so I was expecting something like Geass, but given a recent development it's probably a bit less modest than I thought.

The first episode...is really dumb. There's been a host of stupid anime this season, from Love-A-Live! to...uh, I forget. Most of the other stuff I was watching was pretty silly.

Valvrave is a typical super robot show. Guy's would-be girlfriend dies before his eyes, so he jumps in a giant robot that appears in front of him and slaughters all the killers. High school hijinks with giant mecha splashed in, oh boy oh boy.

The ending is pretty cool. Minami Kuribayashi and Masaaki Endoh sing it as a duet.

Gonna watch this until "that scene" at least. Could be hard even with the pleasing eye-candy.
As I've understood from other sources, Valvrave is...a combination of mecha, stupid, vampires, space and lots of fanservice. Am I hitting anywhere close with this assessment? Vampire Code Geass in Space? ^^;
Old 06-17-2013, 12:25 AM   #5168
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Mechas? ✓+
Stupid? ✓++
Vampires? ✓ (as of Episode 2)
Space? Not yet
Fanservice? ✓- (there was a shot in Episode 1 of a girl randomly groping another girl's breasts)

I wouldn't call this Geass, though. Geass had an interesting backstory, good plot and magnetic characters and ideas. Valvrave is much more generic, better animated but less accessible with worse characters.

I will admit, however...it is thrilling. If it keeps this mindless action up, I might have to rev up a topic.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #5169
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Check out this user's volume of anime he's seen ... and then check out his birth date. Pretty neat.

Can't say as I've ever met an anime-watching grandpa before. :o

While we're at it, I think I found Stark's alter ego. And look! He even wants to read Meina's Owl! \o/ (That may or may not be how I came upon his profile. ¬_¬; ) And just for Yuki ... Alter Ego Stark is a fan of Kagerou Days too. ;o
Old 06-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #5170
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Mitsudomoe (manga)
I decided to read into this, since the anime was good. Sadly I couldn't read what I wanted, since the translators skipped around the chapters. It doesn't make THAT much of a difference, since it's a gag manga, but I still missed a few events. Anyway, it's not as funny as the anime. The great voice acting and animation really do alot for comedy effect. The legendary Ep1 S2 is probably anime only as well. The manga is still funny though. One interesting part of the manga is watching the art improve. At first, the art is pretty awful, but it slowly improves to the point to where the art is pretty good. I'd say the Mitsudomoe manga gets a 7 overall.

I'll find some other manga to read in the meantime.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #5171
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
Quote:
Wut.

*after reading through the whole thing*

Oh.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:08 AM   #5172
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

So I decided to read through another manga for an anime I really liked. This time it's...

Ichigo Mashimaro
The anime was magnificent, so I decided to start reading the manga to this. Like Mitsudomoe, it's not as funny as the anime, but it's still pretty funny. This chapter is especially good (it's only 10 pages). Like I say every time I watch the anime, I doubt I'd enjoy this nearly as much if it wasn't for Miu's hijinks. She almost makes all of the comedy in the manga. It'd be boring as hell without her. Anyway, I give the Ichigo Mashimaro manga a 8.5. Not as good as the anime, but still very funny and enjoyable in places.

Next I'm going to read Ika Musume. The fact that I'm reading 3 loli manga in a row is totally a coincidence! I'm just reading things I've put off for a while!
Old 06-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #5173
deoxys
Fog Badge

I'm on episode six of Madoka:

Kyoko Sakura. Instant. Crush. In other news, I think I have a thing for fierce chicks.

Couldn't help myself with my sig/av change up right away.

UM, IN OTHER NEWS... I'm pretty sure this is all a ruse for some bigger scheme. There are so many odd irregularities in Madoka's world and sometimes things just seem off. I don't know if that means anything, but it's caught my eye a few times now. Also why is no one questioning Kyubey or what it is or where it came from? You're just going to accept this little animal thing can grant powers and be done with it? You don't think MAYBE it's using them all as pawns? Just putting that out there.

edit:

Episode 8:

Well, I can't say I saw the twist coming. I thought it might be a possibility, but I dismissed it early on because I just didn't see it making any sense.

Since this is indeed the case, and Kyubey is indeed sinister as hell, and Madoka being a latent God - well, if they turn into witches, all I can imagine is that this means Madoka is also a latent Archdemon or something.

It also turns out karma plays a large factor. For everyone you help, someone else gets hurt, and if you don't help yourself, you are probably just hurting yourself. Therefore Magi almost have to be selfish in order to stay alive. And now the term "grief seed" makes sense when you think about it, because it looks like magi who collect too much despair in their soul gem turn to witches, and so I'm assuming when they drop a grief seed they are actually dropping the tainted remains of their soul gem.

I guess we'll see. I'm going on keep marathoning this I think, I wasn't so much into the show before so I was only really watching on a weekly basis or so but now it's really picked up so I'm going to continue.

edit again:

Two minutes into episode nine...

aaaaaaand suspicions confirmed

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Last edited by deoxys; 06-20-2013 at 05:56 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #5174
deoxys
Fog Badge

I just finished Madoka.

Bravo. One of the most clever, intriguing, emotional series I've seen. Sure, there were some logical fallacies in the plot but it was so daring and insane that it would never have been absolutely perfect to pull off anyway. The way it was handled worked really well and, I can't lie - I had a good hard cry multiple times throughout the final episode. God (literally). I'm still just kind of sitting here brewing in my emotions (or, as Kyubei might say, mental disorders).

Evidently the first two Madoka movies are simply compilations of the series put together as films, so not sure if worth checking out or not, but there's also a brand new story sequel film coming at the end of this year called Rebellion? The title alone makes me wonder if there will be a war between the magi and the Incubators and if somehow Madoka can come back into existence (not just as God who is everywhere and in everything all at once).

Just can't believe it took me so long to finally watch the show after so many recommendations. Despite some issues it had, the positives of the show outweigh the negatives. Madoka Magica gets a 10/10 from me for art style and great story telling. COME AT ME.

also totally ship homura x madoka and sakura x sayaka what what

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #5175
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
sakura x sayaka
Hey baby.