UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 09-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #26
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
So I should really write up for this thing.

First experience with Pokémon? I was staying at my nan's for a couple weeks in the summer '99, just around my 11th birthday. I used to actually get up early back then (hilarious now I look back on it), and one morning after my regular cartoons had finished, this new one came on. Pokémon. More specifically, Here Comes the Squirtle Squad!

I had no clue what the hell was going on, but I liked it. I especially remember Ash calling out Charmander to illuminate the cave, I think that was one of the few non-Squirtle/Pikachu/Meowth Pokémon in the episode. I saw a couple more over the course of the summer (The St. Anne arc and whatever follows), then pretty much forgot about it.

Then I went to school (first year at big school!), and I'd heard rumblings of an upcoming game. Something big. I'd had my Game Boy for a few years and was loving it, got my N64 like two years before as well, so I was reading the local Nintendo Magazines, but I didn't fully appreciate what was fast approaching. Then one of the kids a couple years up from me showed up one day with Red plugged into his Game Boy - his dad had just got back from a trip to the States and brought it back for him. I asked to have a quick go, got about 10 minutes with it, and fell in love.

As soon as Red and Blue hit shelves in October, I was on it. I got my parents to take me down to a local shop, nabbed a copy of Blue, spent the whole car rid back reading the manual cover to cover, and then spent a straight week playing. Amusingly, it wasn't until I saw my rival's Charmander that I actually linked this game to the show I'd watched in the summer. Took it to school to play in breaks, where Pokémon was fast-becoming the big thing. Everyone was playing it, people were battling, trading to get a full 'dex, everything. The Trading cards followed suit, but then it swiftly lost popularity like all other fads. I kept playing, got a US import of Yellow for the following Christmas, got Silver upon US release as well, but it was never as popular at school as it was at first.

I feel old now.

And I also remember 'Japanimation'. lol

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Spoiler: show

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari

DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #27
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I immediately fell in love with Poliwhirl for some reason (it was my first favorite Pokemon and remained that way for a long time).
Major brofist. I have Poliwhirl and Snorlax beanies somewhere because they were my favourite two as a kid.

I definitely knew about pokemon before I moved schools (so pre-july 1998 ), but a quick wikipedia search tells me this is before either the games or the anime came out in the UK so I guess it must've been just adverts or something. Or at least it's before the anime was in the US and I doubt we got it first. I definitely got Red when it was first released here in October '99, with Blue following shortly.

Hells yeah Bulbasaur, with which I solo'd the game. I remember leaving this Pidgey in the daycare from when I reached there until I got to the E4, it was somewhere in the 50's when I got it out :p.

EDIT the first: No wait, I moved schools in July '99. I probably did watch it before I moved schools, would've been it's original run over here - I distinctly remember watching the first episode too (nerd cred :p). I would've been seven when it first started airing over here. I also remember my brother (four years older) taking me to see the first movie when it was released.

Other things I remember: Thinking Pidgeotto and Bulbasaur were Ash's coolest pokemon, thinking Muk and Krabby were badass, accidentally switching off the VHS recorded doohickey and coming home to find only half of Tentacool and Tentacruel had recorded - the half I watched before we went out ;;

Last edited by Concept; 09-05-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #28
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
>Dave

Is it odd that the only way I can mentally picture you first playing the games is as a bearded child?

So, gonna try to keep this short. Back in some 90's year I'm not exactly sure of, my sister and I had to go to our friend's house every afternoon since our parents weren't home. One day, our friend whips out a game called Pokemon: Blue Version. Young'un Kusari and his sister came at teh awesomes. When we got home we asked if we could get the games (we'd had Gameboys but not any really amazing games). Short answer was "Pogeymanz iz teh devilz". You see, my mother was damn near fundamentalist Christian and someone from the church showed her an "in-depth" article on popular things the devil wants to corrupt your children with. We were angry but eventually settled for seeing it a bit everyday at our friend's house.

Now we must skip ahead a few months. It is now a little bit after Christmas time. Like normal, we head to our friend's house after school. Waiting for us is a copy of Blue and a copy of Red. Turns out, my friend and his parents wanted to be really cool and bought my sister and I the games. They were kept at that friend's house and played until they couldn't be fucking played anymore.

So yeah. Generosity from my future Heterosexual Life Partner got me into this franchise through which I've been introduced into this thread which I am now writing in.

kusari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #29
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by kusari View Post
>Dave

Is it odd that the only way I can mentally picture you first playing the games is as a bearded child?
I had the exact same reaction. I'm just picturing this little weedy kid with a smaller version of Dave's bearded face tacked on.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #30
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I wish I'd had a beard at age 11. I would have been so cool.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #31
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Bulbasaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
I wish I'd had a beard at age 11. I would have been so cool.
I had facial hair as a kid. It was a mustache.

My first experience with Pokemon was in the third grade, when I was seven, so in 2002. I had gotten a Pokemon Blue game from a friend, and absolutely fell in love with the franchise. A lot of what I do nowadays has throw backs to the past, like my OCD to make sure all of my Pokemon are exactly the same level. I played it for a while, and then, a friend at school offered his Pokemon Silver for my Pokemon Blue. I agreed, and fell in love with the GSC era. Absolutely the best region ever, and it really made me happy when GF released SoulSilver. I played that game for hours and hours and hours, beating it with all three starters, beating Red with a Meganium and a Level 50 Gyarados. It was so seriously awesome.

Soon, I had asked my mom to buy me Ruby, since the game had just come out. I didn't get it, but, I got Red, which was a nice reminder of why I got into the Pokemon thing. Soon after, I had gotten Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Ruby, and was forever enthralled. GameFreak had snared me in its 87 Talons, and by God they are not letting me go. Pearl, Platinum, and SoulSilver came after that.

I also loved the series, and watched parts of all the series out. I remember the episode where Ash got his Chikorita, I have the Butterfree farewell on tape(makes me cry every time), and tons of good episodes. I have the first, third, and fourth movies on VHS, and that made me fall in love with Furret, Mantine, Unown, and Suicune. Not to mention Aipom. I also was into the trading card game, and even had one of the Promo Mews, but that dissapeared forever one day. I had a R/S era premade deck, and knew absolutely nothing on how to play. Now that my local bodega has packs of cards for two dollars, I have a good portion of the HGSS Triumphant set too. Some of those cards are cheap as hell.

I have been in love with Pokemon forever, and forever will be.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #32
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I played Pokemon and read Harry Potter in a Southern Baptist Church in Kern County (think the Deep South equivalent of California). The church my biological father pastored.

I think that's at least half a badass point.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #33
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

When I was 5, I got Silver when it first came out, along with a Game Boy color with which I played it. The entire idea had me quite hooked; as an OCD child obsessed with order, terrified by the idea of impermanence, it was reassuring to escape from the cares of reality to a world populated by my imagination and the imagination of others, where people lived forever unchanging, where I was the champion of the motherfucking WORLD and would ALWAYS BE THAT WAY. Now of course I am older and less reliant on strategies like "Train Shuckle to level 100 = profit" and managing to snag the three legendary dogs without even knowing they ran away.

And God, they looked like little squirrels too. Really takes me back to when they had four or five sprites (near as I could tell, they were supposed to be Pidgey, Ratatta, Rhydon, Seel, or some strange beast.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosuser View Post
I was visiting some friends in 2007 when one of them started browsing UPN. I started reading and found it pretty amusing, and so I joined. Got into ASB for a while, then eventually got a DS and played Soul Silver when it first came out. Man, that game was amazing! From then on, I was hooked.

Now there are a bunch of new games and new pokemon out there, but to me, HGSS will always be the best. Ah, the good old days. Can't believe it's been so long o_o
Soul Silver is the shit and whoever made it is a game-remaking genius of the first degree.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:34 AM   #34
Torkoal Stu
This

This thread is so nostalgic.

I first heard about Pokémon from my brother, because he is a good four years older than me so his friends were like 'super cool' in my eyes and they all started playing Pokémon. So I totally wanted a piece of the action, and then Pokémon swept the nation and everyone was playing it anyway. I had Blue and started with Squirtle (yeaaaah).

I remember in my younger days I didn't quite understand how important it was to save regularly because I'd often play my GameBoy down until it had no batteries (woah, batteries) left, as replacing the batteries meant turning it off and that was not an option. I remember being in Silph Co. and then it cutting out and me getting so upset because I got really far. And my Dad telling me to 'get over it' and me and my Dad arguing over the game. With me acting like it was the most important thing in my life (understandably so, of course I was like 9/10). Me and my siblings used to each get a version (though there's three of us so two people always had the same, I usually had the 'different' one like I got Silver but my brother and sister both had Gold), but I was always really gutted because my birthday is really spread out from my siblings so they'd always have a version long before I did (first world problems, eh?). But I think my siblings probably dropped out of it around Sapphire/Ruby to be fair (though my sister recently picked up HeartGold out of boredom, randomly) and by that point I obviously had my own money to buy my own games so it was no longer an issue.

The first episode I ever watched though I think was Ash VS Lt. Surge, because I really fell in love with Raichu. But I really didn't get into the TV series right away, I think I didn't really get into it until I went for a sleepover at my best friend's (at the time of course) house and we watched it on TV. I really got into the card game, for like two months, then my interest just really dwindled with it (probably because it was too hard to get the money to buy cards?). Though I got really into the Yu-Gi-Oh Trading Card Game at one point, which is really strange as collecting Pokémon cards really didn't capture my interest at all but somehow Yu-Gi-Oh cards really (and I mean really) drew me in (but probably because by this point I had my own money so buying cards wasn't so difficult). Though I really loved that Pokémon Trading Card GameBoy Game, I was so hooked on that bad boy (except that man who makes you trade all your Energy Cards for some stupid Slowpoke Card or something, what a ripoff!). I remember they once banned Pokémon Cards at my school because they caused too many fights amongst kids. I remember loads of kids being so heartbroken and upset about it (I probably was as well to be fair haha).

Pokémon Yellow was my absolute favourite though. Just all those animé shoutouts. Amazing. I can't remember who I started with on my first Silver though, I want to say Chikorita but I don't know for sure. I remember I always had Sudowoodo on my team though.
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #35
hen da man
Rainbow Badge

Send a message via MSN to hen da man
I vaguely remember being around 3 years old and playing my half sister's Pokémon games. I can't remember whether it was of the RBY series or if it was GSC but I know I loved the games even then. My first game was LeafGreen though and I got that around the age of 5 or 6 maybe, again I can't remember ages and stuff but oh well. They are my earliest memories of Pokémon.

Daisy is just the best for making the battlecut!

I am now a C+ ref!!

PASBL 2.0 Test Squad

FB
Fizzy Bubbles
- Houndour - Lv. 12
- Heracross - Lv. 12
- Murkrow - Lv. 5

A great quote from Tdos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
I think i catch my typos but i keep typoing my typos so then i just dont even bother trying toc rrecty them because i will jeust keep typoing forever

edit: also any kids reading this dont drink it fucks u pyour brannreal bad
hen da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #36
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairne View Post
and Cassidy and Bart are so despised.
"It's Butch!"

XD
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:50 AM   #37
takkupanda
Charismagnetism

Send a message via Skype™ to takkupanda
'Biff' was the worst I remember...

Fizzy Bubbles

Cable Club Trading List
takkupanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #38
tau
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to tau
I always kinda wondered why TR didn't just get rid of Jesse and James. I mean you have to assume that the cannon-fodder Grunts were doing enough to keep the entire organization in operation for years, and making enough cash for Giovanni to stay in fancy imported suits the whole time.

Jesse and James I don't think ever successfully accomplished a single job they were ever sent out to do.

And that's not even getting into their constant failure to take down Ash, who is arguably the worst trainer in the whole anime.
tau is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON