UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 09-05-2011, 04:14 AM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Tabletop games and board games

Anyone here play any tabletop games? I've found myself doing quite a bit of tabletop gaming lately. Most of the games I've found myself playing have been deck building games, in which you and the other players essentially build your decks from a set amount of given cards to create a strategy over the course of the game and try to complete whatever the objective is.

Currently, I'm playing Thunderstone, Dominion, Quarriors, Stone Age, Pandemic (which, if you've played the flash game, this is the same thing except you're working with players to stop the virus), and of course, Settlers of Catan.

I tried Dungeons and Dragons for the first time a month ago or so, and I did enjoy it immensely, but we haven't had the chance to play it again. Hopefully I'll get more chances in the future...

I'm also kind of but kind of not playing Magic: the Gathering off and on.

Oh, and I'm working with some friends on what has turned out to be an incredibly interesting game built from the ground up, and we're looking into getting it patented soon, so hopefully that works out. I can't reveal any details just yet, because there actually is a lot of promise for it, but when the time comes you'll be the first to know ;)

Anyway, is anyone playing anything or enjoy playing anything? Anything recommended that others should play?

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:25 AM   #2
Selena
Aroma Lady

I only play Chess and Shogi. Occasionally when I'm at a friends house I might play something else, but they're mostly fans of this too.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:32 AM   #3
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by milotic111 View Post
I only play Chess and Shogi. Occasionally when I'm at a friends house I might play something else, but they're mostly fans of this too.
Oh yeah... you know it's bad when you forget about those...

I enjoy myself a game of chess as well. I've never played Shogi but it's something I need to do badly.

Also on the list of something I need to do is to play Go again, unfortunately any half decent Go set is at least ~$70 -_-
Old 09-05-2011, 07:12 AM   #4
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Chess, parcheesi...a lot of "typical" board games are so friggin popular because they're so friggin fun. Chess, in particular, is reeeeeeally addicting.

Part of the reason that Chess is so fun is it can be adapted into many different styles.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I've played Dominion, Pandemic, and Catan. I really like Catan and Dominion. There's a meeting group in Queens that has once a week get together to play board games.

I also play Bang!, Guillotine, Munchkin, Apples to Apples, and a bunch of others.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

One boardgame we enjoy playing is called Tales of the Arabian Nights. (Amazon.com link) We like to call it "Arabian Assholes" because the game was designed with One Thousand and One Nights-era Arab sensibilities in mind, e.g. an actual sample experience from the game:

You see a beggar on the street. What do you do?
If you choose "Talk to the beggar," you end up getting pickpocketed by the beggar, framed for a theft, and thrown in jail.
If you choose "Beat the beggar," the crowd cheers you on and the beggar even says to you "My friends say I deserved it, O Noble One!"

Not even kidding.

Hence "Arabian Assholes." But it's a fun game and the experience is all about the crazy stories that are born out of its 400+-page "Choose Your Own Adventure"-style handbook (you trigger different adventure choices based on dice rolls) than it is about anyone actually winning.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
Copygoo
超高校級 写真師

Haven't played many recently. But before my older brother and our best friend left we played DnD quite a bit, though it wasn't normal DnD. We tossed a lot of rules out the window.

[i can't believe all of the things they say about me]
Copygoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
mindthegaap
Boulder Badge

I browse /tg/ heavily and read through gamebooks, but I've never actually played a tabletop game >>; I'd like to, though-maybe over the internet?
Old 09-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #9
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I play mahjong, and am a former Chess player (I used to be good, but can't seem to provide any fight anymore).

My friend is big into Warhammer 40,000 but it's too geeky for me.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #10
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

Stratego, Munchkins, Connect Four, and Guess Who are probably some of my most favorite games. ...Yes, I am SUCH a child. But they're fun, especially Munchkins. I only seem to find them in bookstores though.

Hi, I'm Daisy!

Spoiler: show
W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #11
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
MUNCHKIN
Old 09-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #12
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Paranoia is the king of all tabletop games, it has to be said.

Used to play when I was like 12 or 13, vaguely tempted to again (just this game though) because the whole game is so balls out ridiculous.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:43 AM   #13
deoxys
Fog Badge

Bang! - I actually had the awesome opportunity to play it for the first time tonight, and it was fun as hell! Such a good game!

Munchkin, I haven't played, but heard it is great from many a peoples.

As for not exactly a tabletop game but an amazing game all around, Everyone is John is one of the most hilarious things you can ever do with a group of friends and is simply one of the best games ever. Every time we play it it's a non-stop laugh fest throughout, I recommend everyone give it a go (make sure the person narrating the experience is a really good story teller with a sense of humor if you can).

Also, Warhammer 40,000 is a game I keep hearing is a must play, so it's something I think I'm in need of doing...

Paranoia sounds really interesting. I've neevr heard of it though. I'm going to have to look up more info on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindthegap
I browse /tg/ heavily and read through gamebooks, but I've never actually played a tabletop game >>; I'd like to, though-maybe over the internet?
Well, you can play The Settlers of Catan online, though I've never played this version before so I don't know how good or legit it is. It is available officially on iPhone, Android, and Xbox Arcade. Thunderstone will be getting the same treatment by the end of this year as well.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:10 AM   #14
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
Paranoia is the king of all tabletop games, it has to be said.

Used to play when I was like 12 or 13, vaguely tempted to again (just this game though) because the whole game is so balls out ridiculous.
Fun Fact: I briefly worked for the company that hold the license to this game. They were cool.

Don't really play many games these days, but more for lack of others to play with than anything else. Used to play Warhammer/40,000 but I never particularly enjoyed the gaming aspect, I just liked painting things.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:29 AM   #15
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

I play Warmachine/Hordes. I used to play Magic, but...well, ratrace/can support only one gaming crack habit at a time.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:44 AM   #16
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Scrabble. And Mastermind. Also, Battleships.

(Do the last two even count?)
Old 09-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #17
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Also, Warhammer 40,000 is a game I keep hearing is a must play, so it's something I think I'm in need of doing...
Unless you have just bushels of disposable income or get an amazing deal on ebay from someone getting out of it, I would highly recommend against it. The strategy is good, and I found the painting fun even though I was absolutely dreadful at it, but the cost is just ridiculous.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #18
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoise View Post
I play Warmachine/Hordes. I used to play Magic, but...well, ratrace/can support only one gaming crack habit at a time.
I've heard both are awesome. I tried to get one of my friends into them a few weeks back because I love the concept behind both, but he is against miniature games for some reason which is rather depressing, so I suppose it's something I'm going to have to do on my own at some point.

As for Magic... I completely agree. I dived into it knowing it was going to become a crack habit, but I've been trying to keep it at bay. If it wasn't for the guy at the local game shop giving me 4 Planeswalker starter decks for free, I probably wouldn't have even started playing, so good marketing on his part, I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo
Unless you have just bushels of disposable income or get an amazing deal on ebay from someone getting out of it, I would highly recommend against it. The strategy is good, and I found the painting fun even though I was absolutely dreadful at it, but the cost is just ridiculous.

Ah, I see. What a disappointment. Still, if it's something that I get the opportunity to try one day I will take it. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeet
Scrabble. And Mastermind. Also, Battleships.

(Do the last two even count?)
Yeah man, they're all games aren't they? I fucking love Scrabble and Battleships. Mastermind seems vaguely familiar but I haven't played it I don't believe...
Old 09-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #19
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Ah, I see. What a disappointment. Still, if it's something that I get the opportunity to try one day I will take it. Thanks for the heads up.
Games Workshop does make some other spinoffy type games that were actually a lot of fun (and much quicker to play than 40k). Gorkamorka, Necromunda and Warhammer Quest are all really decent- though I liked Necromunda best. You get a bit of the 40k experience but with a small gang instead of with an army. The price difference between a dozen miniatures and fifty+vehicles and such can really take your breath away.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #20
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
Send 'em to me, I'll paint them!

But yeah, Warhammer is dead pricy, find a skirmish game where you only need like 12-15 miniatures. Never played them, but the two Muyo mentioned- Necromunda and Gorkamorka are meant to be excellent.

I have played the Judge Dredd game Mongoose made, which was pretty fun and the rules are free to download at all. Some of the minis were pretty cool as well- Gangster Apes and such like.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:40 AM   #21
Arnold
Just call me sir

Been wanting to play Munchkin, which i'll probably buy next week as well as Zombies! which I've also wanted to play, though I'll have to persuade Tess to play them with me or i'll have to play them on my own...and that's just sad, shame Samantha isn't old enough to play games yet =p

Though I do have Creationary...Tess doesn't like it because she doesn't know what I've built..though it is fucking hard to build some stuff with the pieces you get in it.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #22
GrJackass
Night Man

yea i only got into board games recently, mainly the last year or so
my favorite games do include dominion, bang, catan and even pandemic with the right crowd (some people loooove to micromanage don't they?).

some other cool games are ticket to ride & guillotine they're fun simple games that have some strategy to them, more of a social game though

but yea from what i understand catan, ticket to ride, and powergrid definatly have online versions to play. so if anyone wants to play im in

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #23
deoxys
Fog Badge

Wow, so many awesome games I haven't heard of that I'm really interested in. I'm making a list and Necromunda and Creationary are going right on it.

I hope they make an online version of Dominion, too.

And if enough people are down for it, I'm down for some Catan with UPN, though I'm not sure which online version would be best to play
Old 09-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #24
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

>Catan

A group of friends got me into this and now there's a Settlers group. It's really fucking fun and wildly cutthroat, which can lead to some... interesting things.

Spoiler: show
...I may have offered sexual favors for Ore at one point during a game.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #25
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I'd light the Gr signal but he already saw this thread. He loves board and tabletop games.

As for me? Uh... this is not for me at all.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment